Sign in to follow this  
TeemuVanBasten

Rupp contract talks...

Might be an indication of how tight things might be financially next season if relegated, as surely you'd have to write him off as a player who hasn't met expectations / it just hasn't ever clicked for? 

Its surely more than apparent that centre midfield is our weakest area of the pitch and has been for several years?

He's very good in the Champs, and probably has more pace than the rest of our midfield options. We suffer from a lack of that in the middle of the park. We also suffer from a lack of strength to some extent, but Rupp's not the solution to that problem.

Said before I'd aim to keep him if we're in the Champs, but let him go if we stay up.

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

When fit he's one of our better central midfielders.

Shame he picks up 10 hamstring injuries every season then.

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Our midfield is absolutely shockingly bad. To say player A is one of the better ones means nothing. 

We are likely to go down. Rupp has already proven very good at Championship level, has shown to be one of our better one's at this level too. Likely not on huge wages, experienced and offers versatility. So of course it means something.

• Like 1

Here comes the massive firesale.. 

No doubt most of our 11 had contract improvements upon promotion and are now being paid more than we can afford in the 2nd division, nevermind that Dean probably wants a squad rebuild. He didn't sign any of our team, they aren't his players.

If relegated it makes perfect sense.

With 2 relegations as a key player McLean would have to go, right? Leaving us with PLM, Rupp, Sorensen and space for a real DM (It's gotta be this year, right).

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We are likely to go down. Rupp has already proven very good at Championship level, has shown to be one of our better one's at this level too. Likely not on huge wages, experienced and offers versatility. So of course it means something.

Which of the current midfielders would you release/sell in the summer? 

Hes a good player to have in the squad especially in champs, isn't the level we need to stay in the prem though but imo none of our midfield are bar Normann and potentially Sorensen if he develops more.

2 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

With 2 relegations as a key player McLean would have to go, right? Leaving us with PLM, Rupp, Sorensen and space for a real DM (It's gotta be this year, right).

To receive a fee, even a modest one, for McLean and free up a sizeable wage has to be a good start. 

1 minute ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Here comes the massive firesale.. 

No doubt most of our 11 had contract improvements upon promotion and are now being paid more than we can afford in the 2nd division, nevermind that Dean probably wants a squad rebuild. He didn't sign any of our team, they aren't his players.

lol it's always going to be a firesale untill it never is.

Contracts of our players reduce with relegation as well as rise with promotion. There will be some decent wages coming off the bill too with the likes of Drmic, Hernandez and Cantwell (probably) dropping off.

• Like 1

Too injury prone for me, irrespective of whether he's good enough he's seldom actually available and/or match fit. We already carry too many similarly afflicted players. Get rid.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

lol it's always going to be a firesale untill it never is.

Contracts of our players reduce with relegation as well as rise with promotion. There will be some decent wages coming off the bill too with the likes of Drmic, Hernandez and Cantwell (probably) dropping off.

I remember the 'firesale' predictions from many on here after our last relegation, they almost seemed disappointed on here we kept the likes of Pukki, Emi, Cantwell and Aarons

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Which of the current midfielders would you release/sell in the summer? 

IF we go down, and we do lose both Gilmour and Normann, that would only leave Rupp, Sorensen, Mclean and PLM. I wouldn't look to offload any of them, if we're looking to potentially play a 3 midfield then we need at least 6 midfielders. We already know Mclean and Rupp are more than good enough at Championship level.

27 minutes ago, hogesar said:

IF we go down, and we do lose both Gilmour and Normann, that would only leave Rupp, Sorensen, Mclean and PLM. I wouldn't look to offload any of them, if we're looking to potentially play a 3 midfield then we need at least 6 midfielders. We already know Mclean and Rupp are more than good enough at Championship level.

Were more than good enough 20/21. Another year older and on the decline would be no guarantee next season in the Championship. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

He never seems to be able to stay fit, I’m surprised with this one. Looked good when higher up the pitch last season. Not convinced he’s prem quality though 

25 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Were more than good enough 20/21. Another  year older and on the decline would be no guarantee next season in the Championship. 

McLean is 30 and Rupp is 31. I doubt they've declined too much over the last year. Of course last time our midfield had Skipp and Buendia in it so we obviously still need to improve. I'd imagine PLM will be very good at that level and Sorensen might be in Smith's plans (I do doubt this). I wonder what the role of Tzolis will look like, before he had the confidence kicked out of him he looked very good against Bournemouth in the cup. Could be the star.

I think there will be some churn across the squad, although without too many big names moving. Rashica the most likely of the new guys to attract some interest but I can't imagine we move him after 1 okay but injury hit year. Aarons? For his own career I think he needs to move but I'm not sure many are buying at the price we'd be selling. Pukki? We'll take the option on his contract. Hanley and Gibson? No chance.

I'd be a bit dissappointed if Giannoulis isn't our starting left back next season although if I were him I'd be out of here asap.

Edited by KeiranShikari

In my mind it would make good sense to keep Rupp, providing his wage demands match his ability and the amount of injuries he has.

He's perfectly capable at Championship level and what with Gilmour and Normann returning to their parent clubs, we'll have 2 vacancies.

Hopefully we'll be bringing in bigger and better replacements, but Rupp would still add value in my opinion.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Love that last bit “it’s gotta be this year, right?!”. We live in hope. NCFC’s elusive unicorn, the defensive midfielder 😁

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

In my mind it would make good sense to keep Rupp, providing his wage demands match his ability and the amount of injuries he has.

He's perfectly capable at Championship level and what with Gilmour and Normann returning to their parent clubs, we'll have 2 vacancies.

Hopefully we'll be bringing in bigger and better replacements, but Rupp would still add value in my opinion.

Totally agree with the last bit. As a back-up, senior pro with plenty of top-flight experience in the Bundesliga to boot Rupp would be a decent player to keep around.

Realistically a Rupp or McLean would be a back-up for us. The fact one is a mainstay speaks volumes, and I would say there's not room for both. Wonder if our youth team is turning up any units in the middle of the park? Hondermarck was potentially that guy but didn't make it. Adshead is more of an attacking midfielder...

1 hour ago, hogesar said:

When fit he's one of our better central midfielders.

That't not saying much is it, trying to stay in the Premier League with a mid-table Championship midfield was the problem last time and remains the problem this time. 

• Like 2

In Smith's first few games in charge Rupp looked very good. Surprisingly good, in fact. Then he got injured...

I think Rupp discussions highlight broader Norwich issues. 

He - like virtually all other Norwich midfielders - suffer from the slightly contrary nature of our recruitment-budget-strategy* 

Rupp and Sorenson are both capable of playing the ‘elusive unicorn’ (Vielen Dank @Danke bitte 🦄) CDM role, though are not quite of sufficient quality to demand an outright first team place (though I rather like both and think they are both somewhat under-trusted and under-used).

A Normann or a Gilmour have some excellent technical abilities, though either have not the physical stature, the running power, the robustness of body (injuries), the resoluteness and ‘danger-smelling’ skills required for a team that is typically inferior and will mostly have to defend (this is by no means only us at the top level).

The Cantwells, Dowells, Onels are simply not structurally disciplined enough defensively for a top level side. 

Tzolis and even Rashica are really wingers, which even Man City hardly use because it leaves you too tactically open at the top level. Again good players fulfilling roles that aren’t required (or more accurately feasible).

We do not have 1 - let alone The surely necessary top level 2 - CDM screeners. 

McLean is certainly physical enough for the top level, is diligent, competitive and loyal, though lacks the technical quality at the top level to be fully trusted in possession. 

Placheta could be a weapon, though is shoe-horned into using his straight-Line pace as a defensive shuttle tool. He is rather a straight line  player anyway, which means his pace is a little wasted in any case. He would almost be worth trying as a 10 or false 9 in a our desperate times. 

All of these players will-would-could look good in the second tier. I’m quite sure Gilmour would run every game for example, though we have to move away from just picking-buying ‘good’ players and looking at strategic weapons that move the opposition from their preferred game plan. 

Ironically Rupp - and Sorenson - are the kind of players we need (in that they play the right kind of role that our circumstances dictate), though we equally have too many ‘good’ players - or those with specific skills (Gilmour) that simply don’t fit the world we inhabit. 

As stated proctor hoc - it all looks like a triumph of belief over logic.

The fear is that once you go prosaic - as Smith has done - can you then re-activate the fluid Farkian swagger at the lower level?

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

I think Rupp discussions highlight broader Norwich issues. 

He - like virtually all other Norwich midfielders - suffer from the slightly contrary nature of our recruitment-budget-strategy* 

Rupp and Sorenson are both capable of playing the ‘elusive unicorn’ (Vielen Dank @Danke bitte 🦄) CDM role, though are not quite of sufficient quality to demand an outright first team place (though I rather like both and think they are both somewhat under-trusted and under-used).

Parma 

I don't think Rupp is under-used, he's just been injured. Didn't he come straight into the side under DS (and look good in doing so, too?)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I don't think Rupp is under-used, he's just been injured. Didn't he come straight into the side under DS (and look good in doing so, too?)

Rupp, like Sorensen, has been involved under Smith but only when the squad has been very thin. Then he got injured so we don't really know.

Obviously if these contract talks are happening then we clearly rate him as a part of the squad going forward.

Edited by KeiranShikari

6 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

Rupp, like Sorensen, has been involved under Smith but only when the squad has been very thin. Then he got injured so we don't really know.

Obviously if these contract talks are happening then we clearly rate him as a part of the squad going forward.

I genuinely can't remember but I thought he came on for Gilmour against Southampton, then came on again vs Wolves, started vs Newcastle then got injured? It felt like he'd fought himself into being a starter from his sub appearances. I don't know.

40 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

That't not saying much is it, trying to stay in the Premier League with a mid-table Championship midfield was the problem last time and remains the problem this time. 

IF we somehow stay in the Prem then he'd be a cheap versatile cover option and nothing more though. Or at least, that should be the case.

14 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I genuinely can't remember but I thought he came on for Gilmour against Southampton, then came on again vs Wolves, started vs Newcastle then got injured? It felt like he'd fought himself into being a starter from his sub appearances. I don't know.

IF we somehow stay in the Prem then he'd be a cheap versatile cover option and nothing more though. Or at least, that should be the case.

I think most of us were hoping Kenny McLean would be a cheap, versatile cover option and nothing more this season. That it didn't happen is one of several factors that have seen us end up looking certainties for relegation.

Rupp is similar to McLean in that he can look awful and totally ineffectual one game but then be one of best players the next. That said, his awful games tend not to be a frequent as Kenny's.

Let's face it, we had a massive midfield clear-out in the summer: (obviously Buendia and Skipp) Tettey, Vrancic, Stiepermann, followed by Martin and Hernandez then Cantwell out on loan. We've got Normann and Gilmour to go back at the end of the season. Without Rupp, who do we actually have?

In the central area it's only McLean, PLM and Sorensen. As far as I'm concerned, we need to be investing heavily in that area of the pitch with a big signing, but I can't see how we could possibly let any of the others go. Likewise, with the attacking midfield, Rashica, Sargent, Placheta, Dowell and Tzolis is simply not enough. Maybe if any of the loanees come back then we could assemble a second tier team, but otherwise we need to invest there as well.

A couple of decent signings and we could have a top quality Championship squad (say a Buendia and a Skipp).