Interesting article in today’s Times (behind a paywall I think) … says he’s got unfinished business as a football manager… I remember finding him a really exciting manager … I know we’re not looking for another manager … but if we were … would anyone apart from me want him back ?

He’s just shy of 70, been out of the game for nearly three years and other than a brief stint of failing to meet expectations at Forest hasn’t managed club football for 10 years.

He’s a massive gamble nowadays and it’s probably why no club that he would be interested in has gone for him.

• Like 1

Martin you left as we had no money to spend. Would you be interested in coming back and having no money to spend?

• Thanks 1

Jesus Christ no, who else Curbishley? Keegan? Hoddle? There's a reason these guys have been over a decade out of the game. 

38 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

Martin you left as we had no money to spend. Would you be interested in coming back and having no money to spend?

Correct. While I think O'Neill had unfinished business - especially at Norwich where Chase preferred a disused flour mill to Dean Windass - that was some time ago and he should stick to retirement. 

He would think that Chase was a God compared to what we have now. At least with Chase he had a bit of money to spend - not enough obviously, but poor old Dean Smith has sweet F.A and Robin Sainty has the nerve to suggest in this publication that the January transfer window was a balancing act! 

What was there to balance? We've spent nothing. Least Chase wanted to stay up, despite his obvious shortcomings. 

I didnt rate him at his peak particularly. He was okay but demanded bucket loads of cash and even then never really threatened anything spectacular. Decent but overrated. No way would I want him here.

2 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

He was a very good manager in the 90s and 00s but as has been said, he's nearly 70 now and is a good decade past his sell-by-date. No chance. 

Not really. He did ok at Leicester but spent loads at Villa without ever making the breakthrough he promised. Left them with the owner not prepared to spend anymore (Lambert's inheritance). Then took over Sunderland leaving them fighting relegation.

Talked well though.

4 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

Interesting article in today’s Times (behind a paywall I think) … says he’s got unfinished business as a football manager… I remember finding him a really exciting manager … I know we’re not looking for another manager … but if we were … would anyone apart from me want him back ?

Is this because his old mate Roy Keane has been linked to the Sunderland job?

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Not really. He did ok at Leicester but spent loads at Villa without ever making the breakthrough he promised. Left them with the owner not prepared to spend anymore (Lambert's inheritance). Then took over Sunderland leaving them fighting relegation.

Talked well though.

Depends which way you look at it. 

Took Leicester into the Premier League, had four top ten finishes, won two trophies and took them into Europe, won three SPL titles and three Scottish cups in five years at Celtic despite Rangers being the dominant force when he took over, and then achieved three consecutive top-six finishes with Villa. He spent a lot of money there but they made a combined profit of over £30m on Milner, Young and Downing.

Since then, he has failed everywhere and one of the major criticisms at Forest was that he wasn't prepared to adapt to modern football.

Edited by Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man

12 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Jesus Christ no, who else Curbishley? Keegan? Hoddle? There's a reason these guys have been over a decade out of the game. 

I would luv it, just luv it if we got Keegan !

9 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Depends which way you look at it. 

Took Leicester into the Premier League, had four top ten finishes, won two trophies and took them into Europe, won three SPL titles and three Scottish cups in five years at Celtic despite Rangers being the dominant force when he took over, and then achieved three consecutive top-six finishes with Villa. He spent a lot of money there but they made a combined profit of over £30m on Milner, Young and Downing.

Since then, he has failed everywhere and one of the major criticisms at Forest was that he wasn't prepared to adapt to modern football.

Sounds about right. 

It's a No from me.

He did a decent job at Leicester, and obviously Celtic. Then again Lennon and Strachan looked like footballing gods at Celtic, so that's probably not saying much. Hasn't done much since, always talks absolute rubbish when he's a pundit, and has been out of the game too long. So it's a no from me.

19 hours ago, Deptford Yellow said:

No No No