Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Norwich City supporting LGBTQ+ History month

Why this agenda and not others? it’s no longer the 1970s when discrimination was widespread; in fact lgbt is now one of the most fashionable causes and barely ever out of the media spotlight as a result. Is it bad that I yawn a bit these days- so frequent and forced is the messaging? As for many of my gay chums for that matter. 

Personally I feel the most inclusive thing is to stick to football and ask everyone to be nice to everyone else. Simple kindness and courtesy - job done. 

the woke politicisation of football which is a cheap way of garnering support through easy virtue signalling is a little trite. Fashionable though - especially amongst the unthinking - so doubtless some will delight in using this as a great opportunity to signal their own moral superiority- off you go…

• Like 4

Didn’t we have the rainbow laces thing a short while ago and now a full months worth of “ awareness “ ? It just gets diluted the more it happens, like taking the knee. 

It’s tricky, there’s a fine line between supporting things and going over the top.  Football is an industry finding it’s way in the ‘inclusivity’ field, a lot of it is still pretty Neanderthal, so if it feels that it is going too far the other way before getting it right then I suppose it’s one of those things.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Why this agenda and not others? it’s no longer the 1970s when discrimination was widespread; in fact lgbt is now one of the most fashionable causes and barely ever out of the media spotlight as a result. Is it bad that I yawn a bit these days- so frequent and forced is the messaging? As for many of my gay chums for that matter. 

Personally I feel the most inclusive thing is to stick to football and ask everyone to be nice to everyone else. Simple kindness and courtesy - job done. 

the woke politicisation of football which is a cheap way of garnering support through easy virtue signalling is a little trite. Fashionable though - especially amongst the unthinking - so doubtless some will delight in using this as a great opportunity to signal their own moral superiority- off you go…

If that is the case it begs the question why (as far as I am aware), there is not one openly gay professional footballer amongst the 92 league clubs. I am not having a go at your view, I understand where you are coming from and I echo your comment regarding people being kind to each other. That all said you would have thought that by now there would be at least one openly gay footballer, that there is not suggests a lot more needs to be done within football to get to a point where an individual has no qualms in "coming out"........

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Just because a cause is fashionable doesn't remotely mean underlying hostile attitudes have been consigned to history. Only need to see the Pope wetting his pants at childfree people, or indeed many an evangelist religious person's view (whether Christian or Muslim) on homosexuality, to see that in many cases, underlying attitudes run very deep indeed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

Didn’t we have the rainbow laces thing a short while ago and now a full months worth of “ awareness “ ? It just gets diluted the more it happens, like taking the knee. 

Can't believe i am writing this but absolutely spot on FF.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

If that is the case it begs the question why (as far as I am aware), there is not one openly gay professional footballer amongst the 92 league clubs. I am not having a go at your view, I understand where you are coming from and I echo your comment regarding people being kind to each other. That all said you would have thought that by now there would be at least one openly gay footballer, that there is not suggests a lot more needs to be done within football to get to a point where an individual has no qualms in "coming out"........

It’s a fair question - but the culture amongst players isn’t the same as the one amongst fans. 

Also, reflecting on this, if I were a closeted gay footballer all the attention might actually be what’s putting me off. I wouldn’t want to be the ‘first gay footballer’ with the media circus that would follow - I would want my privacy and there is nowt wrong with that. Which is to say making a big deal of it can cut both ways 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Fred said:

How about having an old Tory voting gammon month for a change ? 

Do You Plan on adding a 13th month to the calendar then? They already have 12...

• Like 1

Can we have an onanism awareness month, and would the club support it?  Perhaps the team could make the appropriate gesture before kick off as a symbol of solidarity.

Edited by Naturalcynic

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

How about having an old Tory voting gammon month for a change ? 

They'd still moan.

59 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

Can we have an onanism awareness month, and would the club support it?  Perhaps the team could make the appropriate gesture before kick off as a symbol of solidarity.

The more I think about this, the more I feel the club should stand in support of onanists everywhere.  We should be proud of our self-abuse.  Too long have we suffered ridicule for punishing Percy in the palm.  While every other peccadillo seems to be celebrated, those of us who like to cuff the carrot still face derision and contempt.  It’s time the club took a stand against this discrimination.  While the team make the appropriate hand gesture before the game, the classic Ivor Biggun song should be played, loud and proud, over the tannoy.

1 hour ago, Naturalcynic said:

Imagine the half time entertainment, closest to the centre spot wins a holiday to Tampa 

The more I think about this, the more I feel the club should stand in support of onanists everywhere.  We should be proud of our self-abuse.  Too long have we suffered ridicule for punishing Percy in the palm.  While every other peccadillo seems to be celebrated, those of us who like to cuff the carrot still face derision and contempt.  It’s time the club took a stand against this discrimination.  While the team make the appropriate hand gesture before the game, the classic Ivor Biggun song should be played, loud and proud, over the tannoy.

You say self abuse, I would say self love...

As Billy Connolly once said: there are two types of people in the world, *** and liars and I'm not a liar...

6 hours ago, TIL 1010 said:

Can't believe i am writing this but absolutely spot on FF.

Lollards Saturday?

3 hours ago, Naturalcynic said:

Julian D-i-c-k-s as the spokesman, I presume.

Edited by TheGunnShow
​​​​​​​EDIT: Oh, dearie me, it's his damn surname!!!

Keep banging those nails into the 'working man's game' coffin.

Bit by bit the minority tries to shame the majority and in the end there will be nothing left for anyone.

2 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Imagine the half time entertainment, closest to the centre spot wins a holiday to Tampa 

Adds a whole new meaning to fertilising the pitch, I guess!

White, straight and middle aged responses to a valid issue. Some sympathetic and some not. Most missing the point. In any other area of life this would have been resolved years ago. Be aware and be kind.

I only knew of one gay footballer and he killed himself. I still cherish his autograph.

2 hours ago, CUSDP said:

Lollards Saturday?

Maybe next Wenesday and the following Saturday but this weekend i will be going to Wolves.

7 hours ago, The Bristol Nest said:

White, straight and middle aged responses to a valid issue. Some sympathetic and some not. Most missing the point. In any other area of life this would have been resolved years ago. Be aware and be kind.

I only knew of one gay footballer and he killed himself. I still cherish his autograph.

No, the point has been laboured for far too long and, much like the unquestioning adherence to pre-match kneeling, many have simply grown tired of constant sanctimonious virtue-signalling in support of the victimhood industry.

No, the point has been laboured for far too long and, much like the unquestioning adherence to pre-match kneeling, many have simply grown tired of constant sanctimonious virtue-signalling in support of the victimhood industry.

If you've grown "tired" of a 3 second kneeling demonstration of players showing solidarity with their (BAME) colleagues, or mention of LGBTQ+ issues, that says plenty about your levels of tolerance and nothing at all about the relevance of addressing those issues within football. 

• Like 3