Farke had 5 points from 11 games and 3 of those games were Man City, Liverpool and Chelsea. Also 6 of the 11 were away.

Smith has 5 points from 9 games without playing any of the top 3 and 5 of those games were at home.

Have we upgraded the manager and would we have had more points had we stuck with Farke? The stats are starting to look like we may have pulled the trigger too soon.

Edited by Worthy Nigelton
Typo
  • Like 2

Hindsight - be honest if DF was still here with this team playing as they have been- it would have turned very ugly indeed. I’m glad he got out before that happened 

• Like 3

Smith is looking like the Billy Gilmour of football managers. Commentators and pundits all praise him but performances on the pitch tell a different story. He needs to hit the ground running next season as I doubt he will be given much time by the fans after this season 

• Haha 1

Damn, I clicked on this thread thinking it was some sort of wrestling showdown that Holty had organised for charity

• Haha 1

It’s not a case of Farke v Smith really is it? Truth is, neither stood a chance with the squad of players put before them. 

With every passing game you realise this seasons coaches are not the the problem and neither would the next coach be it.

• Like 2

When Smith has had a reasonable amount of first team players fit the performances have been a lot better than anything under Farke even if we haven’t always had the results. 

I’m not sure what anyone was watching to think Farke was really going to improve things, there was nothing to indicate any improvement. Farke had pretty much a full squad to choose from, had he had these injuries that Smith had, it would be even worse. 

• Like 1

Okay now do the same again but take away Normann from all of Farke's performances (bar 45 minutes). No Normann away at Brentford game and we certainly lose that game. Remember he was literally the only player playing well for us under Farke. And then throw in an injury / COVID crisis for several games which leaves various other regular starters out for good measure.  

Also Smith has come into a far harder job trying to right the wrongs of the summer and the season so far, the whole team are mentally scarred from the awful awful start (as well as the humiliating finish to 19/20). Who knows whether that's Farke's coaching or Webber's recruitment, but probably fair to say its a bit of both considering two totally different Farke sides put in very very similar  performances at the end of 19/20 as they did the start of 21/22. That can't be a coincidence. Of course the recruitment strategy has also been poor from Webber. 

Smith certainly deserves some more of that rope that you guys are loosening off over to Farke right now. I wouldn't sack him this season personally given the absolute shower of **** he's inherited, lets see where we are 10 games into next season.

• Like 1

I'm going to hold my hands up,

After Leeds my mind changed and I wanted Farke out, 

Now I regret that,

We wouldn't be any worse off with him.

And when Farke was in I felt connected to the team, I wanted us to win for him, I wanted him to turn it around.

Under the new regime and with us seemingly pissing the best part of £60/70 Million away in the summer I'm numb to it, I hate to say it, but at this point, I've stopped caring.

• Like 1

Smith wasn't the intended replacement for Farke when he was sacked.

I would like to have thought Webber had someone in mind when he dumped DF but that's now looking unlikely or the intended target didn't want to come here.

We'll never know if Farke could have pushed on after the Brentford game, probably not.

I do fear Smith is a rabbit in the headlights at the moment and expectation will be sky high next season.

We lost interest just before farke went. It was the best time for him to go. But Webber didn't have a plan when he was sacked Ended up with Smith. Very similar to the hugheton days I think just a squad not as good

44 minutes ago, Dean Coneys boots said:

Hindsight - be honest if DF was still here with this team playing as they have been- it would have turned very ugly indeed. I’m glad he got out before that happened 

Not hindsight at all - if DF had been allowed to carry on from the Brentford away win then it is entirely possible we'd be out of the bottom three by now and I'd suggest its a racing certainty that whatever position we occupied, it would be with more points that we've picked up with Smith in charge.

1 minute ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Not hindsight at all - if DF had been allowed to carry on from the Brentford away win then it is entirely possible we'd be out of the bottom three by now and I'd suggest its a racing certainty that whatever position we occupied, it would be with more points that we've picked up with Smith in charge.

Nonsense. The players are miles off it. His record in this league was dismal. We would have had largely similar results and people would be baying for Farke’s blood by now. It would have been unfair but it would have happened. 

What a change in manager has done is highlighted where the real issue is- the dumb sell your best players to balance the books model and buy for the future. 

I repeatedly stated that we were riding our luck and that the lack of investment would catch up with us - and that the real problem is the board. People shouted me down and said I was pessimistic- but here we are and who can deny it? 

Can’t blame smith or Farke for players not being good enough. Can’t blame Webber for being unable to sign good enough players on low wages and small fees for this division. 

All we've found out is that the problem is much deeper than the management. I doubt Farke would have been no better or worse, can't see us getting many if any more points this season. Can barely see us scoring any more goals!

Dean Smith is trying to complete a jigsaw with all of the wrong pieces.

Scandalous if anybody other than Webber and the owners gets the blame.