Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

How well would this team do in the Champs next season?

1 hour ago, Petriix said:

If that's our first choice team then bottom half. There's absolutely no creativity or goal threat apart from Pukki, and he's not getting any younger.

We need a complete overhaul in midfield. It's about £100m worse than our last Championship season - that's what it would cost to buy Buendia, Skipp and last season's Cantwell, plus Vrancic and Tettey. 

You honestly believe that Rashica and Sargent wouldn't score goals at Championship level?

Every other season we go up and overestimate our players, then we go down and underestimate them. 

Edited by 1902
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

To be fair the only time we’ve played Championship (top 6 as well) opposition we obliterated them and Tzolis and Sargent looked good. 

The gulf in quality is just so huge, I think both would be very good players in the Championship.

That was Bournemouth's reserves though. I dont think we can read too much into that.

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Twaddle.  You may be weak and have no resolve  so don't try to speak for anyone but  yourself .

If we've won five,  drawn three and lost 2 of the first ten games   next season, the ground  will be pretty much full   ..and rocking. 

Cork-County-Council-NO-DUMPING-BY-ORDER-alloy-notice-45_1580020562_4120.jpg.6d8ee73404fe267ea0c1d59d0e55744a.jpg

47 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

That was Bournemouth's reserves though. I dont think we can read too much into that.

No it wasn't - it was half a Bournemouth reserve team and half first team. For that game we changed 10 players from the team that played the previous Saturday. 

28 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No it wasn't - it was half a Bournemouth reserve team and half first team. For that game we changed 10 players from the team that played the previous Saturday. 

Well we'll see if they rip the Championship up next year I guess. I cant see how anyone can be convinced they will.

9 minutes ago, Worthy Nigelton said:

Well we'll see if they rip the Championship up next year I guess. I cant see how anyone can be convinced they will.

And I can't see how  someone  can already be convinced  they won't,  funny old world  eh .

8 hours ago, Nora's Ghost said:

How well would we want any team to do in the Championship knowing full well what will happen next?

The guts have been ripped out of supporters enthusiasm and it will take years to get any sort of belief back.

Which supporters are you referring to ? 

Those who put their money where their mouths are ie ST holders and others who actually attend matches and support the team in good times and bad ?

or.............the keyboard warriors who like to use any stick with which to beat the club but have f*ck all in the way of answers to what they perceive as the Owner/DOF/Manager's failings ? 

Just asking ..............

It would be good to see Rashica (if fit), Tzolis and Sargent figure prominently at Charlton. Mid table L1 opposition might at least give us a gauge as to their true attributes. If they don’t look a class above there we may have to re-assess their ability to ‘tear up’ the Championship.   

2 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

And I can't see how  someone  can already be convinced  they won't,  funny old world  eh .

I'm not convinced they won't. 

3 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Do you really think that the team would lose to Blackpool or Luton?

2 hours ago, C.I.D said:

Which supporters are you referring to ? 

Those who put their money where their mouths are ie ST holders and others who actually attend matches and support the team in good times and bad ?

or.............the keyboard warriors who like to use any stick with which to beat the club but have f*ck all in the way of answers to what they perceive as the Owner/DOF/Manager's failings ? 

Just asking ..............

That would include me then. Trying on the holier than thou 'superior supporter' rubbish with me doesn't work. Some of us just aren't as easily pleased as you.

Just answering......

4 hours ago, 1902 said:

You honestly believe that Rashica and Sargent wouldn't score goals at Championship level?

Every other season we go up and overestimate our players, then we go down and underestimate them. 

i worry Sargent would not score for Kings Lynn ;-)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

i worry Sargent would not score for Kings Lynn 😉

That is harsh, but 😆 .

I hope he would btw

34 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I don’t, whether it is good enough to be promoted, I am not sure.  I suspect we would still need a CDM, a left back, and possibly a striker / winger before I felt super confident.

Just now, Newtopia said:

I don’t, whether it is good enough to be promoted, I am not sure.  I suspect we would still need a CDM, a left back, and possibly a striker / winger before I felt super confident.

I think we might be surprised how many will want to leave 

Last time we were in the PL most of the players took us up from champs

when we went down i am sure some stayed to try and get us back up (pukki / Aarons  etc )

this time we will Probably lose Aarons ,Cantwell maybe this month ,

Have the New boys settled ? do they like English football ? why they nowhere near  playing well or the in the team 

Midfield losing two players Gilmour / Normann  leaves a very limited Mclean 

Pukki another year older 32 in march 

we need to steady the ship as the sea is getting choppy 

29 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

I think we might be surprised how many will want to leave 

Last time we were in the PL most of the players took us up from champs

when we went down i am sure some stayed to try and get us back up (pukki / Aarons  etc )

this time we will Probably lose Aarons ,Cantwell maybe this month ,

Have the New boys settled ? do they like English football ? why they nowhere near  playing well or the in the team 

Midfield losing two players Gilmour / Normann  leaves a very limited Mclean 

Pukki another year older 32 in march 

we need to steady the ship as the sea is getting choppy 

True, I sort of think CC did balance a bit out, Aarons and Cantwell were excluded.  Krul probably won’t go (I can’t see any better clubs who would make him there number one) although I think Pukki will go, he must fancy a final big contract, and there must be interested clubs, he is talented guy.
There are clear question marks about Rashica, Omobalidele, and Dimi, I reckon they will fancy pushing themselves for a move away.

we need to have a core ready to compete, if we go down I am going for

Krul     (Gunn)

Mumba Omobalidele Hanley McCallam (Byram, Gibson,)

Rupp Sorensen McLean (PLM, Dowell)

Rashica Pukki Sargent (Tzolis, Idah, Placheta, Martin)

Clearly there will be cash available to invest when we do not need to buy Kabak and Normann and also if we lose Rashica and / or Pukki - I am hoping we bring in 2 CDM’s, and some defenders…

there are also the crop of youngsters which I do not know that much about, Tomkinson, Rowe, Adshead, Gibbs, McAlear, Clarke, Riley, Dennis, Bushiri (he seems to have not made the grade despite some initial optimism), and Kamara.

14 hours ago, 1902 said:

Yes, I honestly believe that Rashica is no better than Onel Hernandez and Sargent is worse than Stiepermann (pre illness). I think people are being pretty deluded if they think these players will suddenly come good in the Championship. 

• Like 1

That side would represent absolutely no lessons learned!    If the club wants promotion then we need to prepare a team to step up and be competitive which may require two seasons in the Championship.

For starters, McLean and Rupp and Sargent have to move on or be back up only and we will need someone to replace Pukki with two forwards since he won’t be fast enough (at 33 / 34) for a promotion to be first choice.

We need different types of player in midfield, Sargent will not score or create goals in the Championship and has little technical ability so won’t make the grade sadly, that was a major error of judgement - need to bite the bullet there.   

We also need balance on the left since it’s part of the way we can be effective, McCallum has experience and value alongside Giannoulis.   Both may suit 3 at the back though…. Byram needs to play right side but prefer to see Mumba come through.    

We will need to bed in more players at the risk of results so we have enough depth in the squad.   For example, the likes of Sorensen needed more game time last season in place of Skipp and / or McLean, Idah in place of Pukki (appreciate Idah was injured but he wouldn’t have played much anyway).  It’s a necessary gamble if this self-funding is to work.

19 hours ago, wcorkcanary said:

Twaddle.  You may be weak and have no resolve  so don't try to speak for anyone but  yourself .

If we've won five,  drawn three and lost 2 of the first ten games   next season, the ground  will be pretty much full   ..and rocking. 

..and thats all Delia wants.....

43 minutes ago, mannings bandy legs said:

..and thats all Delia wa
nts.....

For Me we need to build a team without Mclean as he offers very little 

cash in and rebuild the midfield 

On 02/01/2022 at 22:23, cambridgeshire canary said:

Er............. no...................... obviously. 

On 02/01/2022 at 10:31, cambridgeshire canary said:

So, with the player departures that are assumed how do we think the team below would do in the Championship? Top six? Midtable? I do feel a top two of Rashica and Sargent would honestly do pretty well in the Championship..

team-11.png

Could probably make the play-offs but would need to be lucky with injuries, if Pukki for example had a long spell out we would completely knackered - same if we had a couple of midfielders out.

On 03/01/2022 at 08:26, Petriix said:

Yes, I honestly believe that Rashica is no better than Onel Hernandez and Sargent is worse than Stiepermann (pre illness). I think people are being pretty deluded if they think these players will suddenly come good in the Championship. 

Don't agree with you on Rashica. he was starting to look really good before he (typically) got injured. i think both rashica and Tolis would be a real handful in the championship and even Sargent will find his level. If we can add a couple of stronger cenral midfielders then we should be well placed for another promotion attempt in terms of personel. The bigger question mark for me is the pyschological/mental impact of this further failure at premier league level. how many will really have the desire to go up again? And I include everyone at the club in that question including fans.