TeemuVanBasten

Can Williams play right back?

Feels like a silly question as he's right footed, but he's coming through as an inverted left back, doesn't seem to have really ever played right back. 

If he can, then no need to bring in another full back in this window if we flog Aarons? Just bring McCallum back as left back cover?

15 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Byram looks good in that position. Fingers crossed he can stay fit as he's a very good footballer.

He also looked like he cared about putting in a shift against Palace as well, didn't see much of that from anyone else.

• Like 1

Williams will be needed at left back as Giannoulis left Selhurst Park in a protective boot after being subbed at H/T.

Didn't Aarons used to play left back in the U21s?

Yes Williams can play on either side

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

Didn't Aarons used to play left back in the U21s?

Yes Williams can play on either 

Edited by Commonsense
Reply to wrong post

Byram, who hasn’t played in two years, looked better after a couple of games than any of our signings including Williams.

Assuming he can stay fit I’d put him ahead of Williams personally.

I've seen Williams play right back for Man U, might have been a European game. So yes he has and can. No doubt the boy has the desire and that nasty edge we've missed but Giannoulis is a superior player. 

If max were to leave I'd have no issue in either Sam byram or Williams taking that spot. Mumba is decent but looks much more of an attacking option than a defender. Both byram and Williams are a bit taller too and we have been caught out due to max's height a number of times. 

13 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Byram, who hasn’t played in two years, looked better after a couple of games than any of our signings including Williams.

Assuming he can stay fit I’d put him ahead of Williams personally.

Funny how different people view thew game.

I didn't see Palace but all the accounts I saw suggested Byram looked very off the pace.

5 minutes ago, king canary said:

I didn't see Palace but all the accounts I saw suggested Byram looked very off the pace.

Maybe it’s rose tinted glasses KC but considering his lengthy layoff he looked more committed and involved than most.

He showed good gamesmanship tactically fouling when needed. Lots of talking and organising as well. For me taking his recent lack of match fitness into account he was head and shoulders above others in performance and showed experience we have been sorely lacking.

Edited by Monty13

8 minutes ago, Bluefloyd said:

I've seen Williams play right back for Man U, might have been a European game. So yes he has and can. No doubt the boy has the desire and that nasty edge we've missed but Giannoulis is a superior player. 

If max were to leave I'd have no issue in either Sam byram or Williams taking that spot. Mumba is decent but looks much more of an attacking option than a defender. Both byram and Williams are a bit taller too and we have been caught out due to max's height a number of times. 

Mumba, for me, looks more like a wing-back, wide midfield, or winger. Could even - at a stretch - be a number 10 in there.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I wouldn't have said that, looked a good footballer and fully committed...........that is all we can ask for at the moment

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I think he was off the pace. He is clearly needing to regain full match fitness but he was still comfortably the best NCFC player on the pitch. He's a versatile talented player and we need him fit for the rest of the season  🤞