Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

Senior players

1 minute ago, CANARYKING said:

Paddy Davitt intimating that Webber consulted “ senior players “ on DF sacking.

Fck me, going behind your "best man for the job" head coach's back to ask his players if they should sack him is always a sign of great leadership.

Webber knew exactly what he was doing, even if all the players had backed him the seed has been sown and Farke's position becomes slowly untenable anyway.

I really hope Webber is as good as everybody has built him up to be.

If this is true,and senior players had a say in Farke's sacking, they should be ashamed of themselves. The one thing Farke has always done it seems,is defend his players,when ,at times they have let him down big time.Of course,we are not aware of all that happens behind the scenes,but there is a bit of a smell about this that does'nt sit well with me.

29 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Sneaky.

I bet he'd already made the decision.

My bet is they had a target in mind who said they would join only if the season was still alive, hence the decision after today's win.

Just now, Capt. Pants said:

Sneaky.

My bet is they had a target in mind who said they would join only if the season was still alive, hence the decision after today's win.

Without question we already have a new head coach - sacking DF post-match would make zero sense if we were still in negotiations.

• Like 1

Just now, Ian said:

Without question we already have a new head coach - sacking DF post-match would make zero sense if we were still in negotiations.

The fact the whole coaching staff have gone points 100% to someone already in situ, I expect an announcement tomorrow (well, today now). 

Webber did the job a lot of you wanted him to do last week. He’s made one hell of hard decision. He no doubt had a professional relationship with a guy he would have also considered a friend. Webber has also contributed to making this club commercially viable in the upper echelons of this footballing pyramid in this country. I’m sure it broke his heart to sit there and reach out to a new coaching team to either keep this club in the Premier League or drive it towards Championship success next season. There’s not one ounce of me that blames Webber for pulling the trigger. It’s a results business and Farke wasnt bringing in the results. Much will be made of this but bigger picture is Webber was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t. He didn’t set the team up week to week nor the tactics. I loved Farke, heck knows he bought me sensational times, I even got on back of the EDP with the guy but Webber did the thing he had to do. Off the back of a win. Horrible but onwards for the good of the club. As much as it pains me to say. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Webber did the job a lot of you wanted him to do last week. He’s made one hell of hard decision. He no doubt had a professional relationship with a guy he would have also considered a friend. Webber has also contributed to making this club commercially viable in the upper echelons of this footballing pyramid in this country. I’m sure it broke his heart to sit there and reach out to a new coaching team to either keep this club in the Premier League or drive it towards Championship success next season. There’s not one ounce of me that blames Webber for pulling the trigger. It’s a results business and Farke wasnt bringing in the results. Much will be made of this but bigger picture is Webber was damned if he did and damned if he didn’t. He didn’t set the team up week to week nor the tactics. I loved Farke, heck knows he bought me sensational times, I even got on back of the EDP with the guy but Webber did the thing he had to do. Off the back of a win. Horrible but onwards for the good of the club. As much as it pains me to say. 

Bless you Stuart, you need to use more commas and less full stops.

39 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

'Hey Todd do you think Farke should stick around?'

Sorted 😏

47 minutes ago, CANARYKING said:

Not unusual to be honest. Part of a captain's role, or that of vice captains etc is to represent the feeling of the squad. A few pro's have spoken about it over the years, of being asked how the dressing room feels etc. It's not necessarily "do you think he should be sacked" - more a case of "are the lads 100% behind him" etc.

You need to know how to handle letting someone go, and if they have the support of the players, then you need to be tactful.

I suspect though, that the players that have been round long enough, will know that even for them, it's not the same as before and they need something to help give them a lift, a change to try and keep the club in the PL. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ian said:

Bless you Stuart, you need to use more commas and less full stops.

Me or Stuart Webber?

Full stops are more powerful when you deliver a sentence. It’s my job to create short and direct sentences. Apologies for being a brusque. Equally thanks for commenting on my writing style but that’s not the point we’re addressing! 😊

2 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Me or Stuart Webber?

Full stops are more powerful when you deliver a sentence. It’s my job to create short and direct sentences. Apologies for being a brusque. Equally thanks for commenting on my writing style but that’s not the point we’re addressing! 😊

I don't think you were abrupt or brusque, quite the opposite. But if you think Webber's decision was in anyway a less than cynical ploy to take that last chance at keeping his star rising at the sake of real talent, I think you may be quite disappointed.

Let's keep an eye on Enrico Maaßen and see if he walks into Colney early next week!

4 minutes ago, Ian said:

I don't think you were abrupt or brusque, quite the opposite. But if you think Webber's decision was in anyway a less than cynical ploy to take that last chance at keeping his star rising at the sake of real talent, I think you may be quite disappointed.

Let's keep an eye on Enrico Maaßen and see if he walks into Colney early next week!

Lucien Favre is what I have heard on the grapevine.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

Lucien Favre is what I have heard on the grapevine.

Would be shocked if we take a 65+ year old on.

7 minutes ago, Ian said:

I agree. I think Webber is ruthless. But it’s stick or twist and the fan base was baying for some kind of blood. Unfortunately Farke was it. I’m genuinely not sure whether he could have turned it around. And whether it saved Webber’s skin or not who knows. He did his job. If Webber walked we’d have Adams and not sure the fans would welcome that either. Again a very difficult position to be in. Of course none of this would matter if we were a club that had money but that’s a debate for another time. 

Just now, Danke bitte said:

I agree. I think Webber is ruthless. But it’s stick or twist and the fan base was baying for some kind of blood. Unfortunately Farke was it. I’m genuinely not sure whether he could have turned it around. And whether it saved Webber’s skin or not who knows. He did his job. If Webber walked we’d have Adams and not sure the fans would welcome that either. Again a very difficult position to be in. Of course none of this would matter if we were a club that had money but that’s a debate for another time. 

Totally agree, and it's clear now that the owners are consciously restricting the club for their own personal benefit and/or political beliefs.

Stuart Webber qualified as a coach at a young age, yet Daniel Farke won us two Championship titles in a remarkable era for this football club. Only one of these people is now at the club, and they have introduced a crosshair on their backside. At least Neil Adams has been there and done that.

1 hour ago, mannings bandy legs said:

If this is true,and senior players had a say in Farke's sacking, they should be ashamed of themselves. The one thing Farke has always done it seems,is defend his players,when ,at times they have let him down big time.Of course,we are not aware of all that happens behind the scenes,but there is a bit of a smell about this that does'nt sit well with me.

Always done? What like his handling of Tzolis and to all intents and purposes Cantwell? Clearly not everything was as rosy with him as you're making out with him and the players. Whilst you're right and I agree totally that if players had a hand in him being sacked, thats unacceptable, he hasnt helped himself with some of his outbursts.

9 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Sneaky.

9 hours ago, Ian said:

Michael Bailey has this morning published an article effectively confirming this. Apparently Webber told the shareholders of the decision on Thursday and goes on to say:

'The timing and decision-making processing of Saturday evening also indicate the club already know who they would like to bring in as Farke’s successor and are confident of getting them in over the coming days.'

There is some absolute **** been posted on here at the moment.

Webber's responsibility is to the football club, not Farke, not Delia, not the players, not even the fans. He is employed to take the club forward. All the things he has done this week sound like correct decisions to me.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Where is this “ intimating” ? I can’t find it

10 hours ago, Ian said:

Would be shocked if we take a 65+ year old on.

I thought that at first, but it's not about the long term project right now in this instance. We need someone a little bit more tried and tested. And when you look at his CV, it's a solid one that also involves bringing through youngsters from academies - Reus for example.

He's also 64. Roy Hodgson is 74. Which just goes to show. Where we are right now, might need someone for a couple of years, not 10. Get us to mid table. Get us established and then consider who is next. Survival is the main target now. That's it. Someone who has a bit more of a record to get results. Not another experiment as such.

At least, that would be the argument for Favre. 

12 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

It seems like speculation, to be honest. 

Michael Bailey reported that "Grant Hanley had been told the news".

"Been told" and "consulted" are very different things and these rumours only do more harm.

It actually seems like steps were taken to ensure a but of decency.

- Hanley being told is a sign of respect to the club captain.

- Webber giving Farke time to tell family and friends before releasing the news. 

- Informing DF straight after the game, allowing him to say his farewells to the players back at Colney before they head off.

The only thing that was a bit off was that the decision was made on Thursday (signed off from the board on Saturday am) but still let him manage the game. It's incredibly harsh but it was the right decision for the club. Farke also ended up leaving on a high note and the oles from the fans, which was actually fitting.