Alex Moss

Kabak partnering Normann at CDM?

Just a random thought that’s been playing on my mind today regarding solving our defensive midfield conundrum - as Sorensen’s not getting a look in, what are peoples thoughts about trying Kabak alongside Normann? I think that’d be quite a formidable pairing. He’s big, strong, can tackle and is good moving through the midfield with the ball at his feet - could be the additional shield we need there. What are peoples thoughts?

• Like 1

Just now, cambridgeshire canary said:

Oh god its the return of the 'Godfrey should be a midfielder'

In fairness they were less stupid ideas than Benetez currently playing him at left back. 

• Like 2

It's not the worst idea floating around .... in fact I suggested it a couple of weeks or so ago. Not that I claim to be particularly knowledgeable about these things, it's just that those forward runs of his, which are becoming frequent, indicate a flexibility not normally associated with the central defensive role.

He is a tough tackling unit, after all.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's not the worst idea floating around .... in fact I suggested it a couple of weeks or so ago. Not that I claim to be particularly knowledgeable about these things, it's just that those forward runs of his, which are becoming frequent, indicate a flexibility not normally associated with the central defensive role.

He is a tough tackling unit, after all.

Yep, I thought it would get a bit of a scathing response but nevertheless am interested in peoples thoughts ha ha - apologies Broadstairs, didn’t realise you’d touted the idea before! Still don’t think it’s the worst idea though, I think his qualities for that position far outweigh the negatives. And whilst I was happy to see Godfrey develop as a CB, I have no doubt he had the qualities to be decent at CDM for us too.

22 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

In fairness they were less stupid ideas than Benetez currently playing him at left back. 

AO being played there Sunday is up there with it

6 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Fudge me there's some crap posted on here. But this suggestion is top end stupid. Next

Mainly by yourself but because I’m kind I thought I’d give you the day off 😜

• Haha 1

Just now, Duncan Edwards said:

The way he commits to 40/60s I think he’d spend most of the season suspended! 

Which is *exactly* what we need right now Duncs 😂

• Haha 1

Unfortunately his inability to release the ball would be even more problematic for a midfielder 

21 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Mainly by yourself but because I’m kind I thought I’d give you the day off 😜

Lucky I'm in a good mood today 🤣😘

I see it slightly differently in that I'd keep in a defensive three, but given his tendency to step into midfield I think I'd use that as a way to play 3-4-3. So you have Gilmour and Normann as the DMs in front of the back three, with Kabak able to step into midfield to cover that space if one or both of the DMs have gone forward. Whether he (or the rest of the team) has the discipline to do this, I don't know, but I do think that's the best formation for us to strike a balance between defence and attack.

Kabak - Hanley- Omo

Aarons - Normann - Gilmour - Dimi

Cantwell Rashica

Pukki.

I think that formation gives us the best chance of getting our best players on the pitch. Tzolis or Dowell for Todd if he's still unselectable for whatever reason.

Not mobile enough for me, he's not the quickest over short distances and has the turning circle of a HGV so I don't think he's suited to that role. What needs to happen is he needs to time his runs better, release the ball earlier and we need to sign 2 disciplined, fit, mobile Tettey like ball winning midfielders in January. 

i don't think it a bad idea. both like to tackle and try and run with ball any maybe, just maybe, they can help get the ball into opposition penalty areas which we are desperately lacking. Surely cannot be any worse if 4 in midfield with Gilmore and Dimi

39 minutes ago, Ward 3 said:

Lucky I'm in a good mood today 🤣😘

Ha ha out of reactions but pleased you took it in the spirit intended 👍😂

35 minutes ago, Robert N. LiM said:

I see it slightly differently in that I'd keep in a defensive three, but given his tendency to step into midfield I think I'd use that as a way to play 3-4-3. So you have Gilmour and Normann as the DMs in front of the back three, with Kabak able to step into midfield to cover that space if one or both of the DMs have gone forward. Whether he (or the rest of the team) has the discipline to do this, I don't know, but I do think that's the best formation for us to strike a balance between defence and attack.

Kabak - Hanley- Omo

Aarons - Normann - Gilmour - Dimi

Cantwell Rashica

Pukki.

I think that formation gives us the best chance of getting our best players on the pitch. Tzolis or Dowell for Todd if he's still unselectable for whatever reason.

The reason I don't buy into this 3 at the back and then two wide men is that Pukki has never, and never will be a target man. I think we waste the formation trying to have two wing backs bombing down the lines to get crosses in when that's not Pukki's strength, hence why a 4-2-3-1 has been so successful for us (but not in Premiership) 

4 minutes ago, Samwam27 said:

I think we waste the formation trying to have two wing backs bombing down the lines to get crosses in when that's not Pukki's strength

Ah, so you're saying play Kabak up front, then? 🙂

I mean, he'd almost kill the likes of De'Gea if he picked the ball up and just ran like a train from the edge of the box.  VAR would have a hard time deciding if it's a goal or manslaughter.

1 minute ago, Google Bot said:

I mean, he'd almost kill the likes of De'Gea if he picked the ball up and just ran like a train from the edge of the box.  VAR would have a hard time deciding if it's a goal or manslaughter.

I wasn't saying that, but he is a unit, and would put himself about, probably better than Sargent. He seems to like getting forward 🙂

3 minutes ago, Google Bot said:

That image of him killing De'Gea reminds me a bit of Juggernaut out of Deadpool!!!

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

Ha ha out of reactions but pleased you took it in the spirit intended 👍😂

Hey, I'm not always a grumpy a$shole

Edited by Ward 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

AO being played there Sunday is up there with it

I still can't figure out what the formation was on Sunday 😂

2 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

I still can't figure out what the formation was on Sunday 😂

It was a defensive adaptation of total football, otherwise known as utter 5-4-1-T 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

we need to sign 2 disciplined, fit, mobile Tettey like ball winning midfielders in January.

We've failed to do this in every single transfer window in the Prem since we signed Tetts. It's the single biggest symbol of our failure to survive.

Tettey announced his retirement today. If he was still at City, he'd be in the first team atm. That's the biggest indictment of our summer business.