Thumbbass

Stuff you've thought of but it's too dull for conversation

They paved paradise (cattle market) and put up a parking lot (shopping centre.)

On 18/07/2022 at 20:10, Herman said:

I tried Freecycle which started out promising but then I started getting faffed about and quickly became disheartened. I'm not sure if it's the same your way but the local charities here have too much stuff at the moment (a hangover from the covid?) and don't want to take much except smaller items.

On 18/07/2022 at 19:57, Nuff Said said:

I’ve found homeless/family rehoming charities are good for taking stuff that’s still decent. It depends what’s round your way though.

Guys, I'm sorry, but this has to be disqualified on account of demonstrably not being too dull for conversation. 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Guys, I'm sorry, but this has to be disqualified on account of demonstrably not being too dull for conversation. 

I'm getting a list together of what is in my "kitchen drawer of stuff" if you want real excitement. As a hook and tease I can see some batteries........

• Haha 1

Talking of batteries, does anyone else have a collection of dead ones intended for recycling that has never been recycled?

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

Talking of batteries, does anyone else have a collection of dead ones intended for recycling that has never been recycled?

They have been decorating the windowsill in a freezer bag for far too long now, got to remember to take them to the supermarket. 

• Like 1

When are people going to realise the lyrics to Sweet Caroline are actually a bit creepy? I'm almost hoping they lose the final Sunday so I don't have to hear it on a loop for the next week!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Raptor said:

When are people going to realise the lyrics to Sweet Caroline are actually a bit creepy? I'm almost hoping they lose the final Sunday so I don't have to hear it on a loop for the next week!

You're in good company.😀

• Haha 1

On 25/07/2022 at 18:33, raunds canary said:

Tampax are always a big seller at Christmas. A very busy period 😃

I heard they were going to replace the string with tinsel - just for the christmas period! 

Since when did 'to medal' become a thing with these people doing table tennis, badminton and tiddlywinks in Birmingham? 🤔🤣

Apples

2 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Since when did 'to medal' become a thing with these people doing table tennis, badminton and tiddlywinks in Birmingham? 🤔🤣

Apples

I thought it was “to podium”?

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

Is that the new 'woke' triathlon?

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Is that the new 'woke' triathlon?

Yep, and all participants get a prize so they don't feel excluded. 🏅

Apples

• Haha 1

On 16/06/2022 at 22:06, Herman said:

Mock the Week is still a thing.

They thought it was all over....

2 hours ago, Herman said:

They thought it was all over....

There hasn't been a new one in years...

December 2021 apparently, seems longer. Got a bit tired I thought.

Also had HIGNFY finally disappeared, I know there was talk of it?

Edited by Wings of a Sparrow
  • Like 1

I used to like both but they leave me cold nowadays. They just have gone on too long and the formats a bit stale. Must have had decent viewing figures to keep them going for so long.

• Like 1

Random fact. Despite the sight of Slash with his top hat and Gibson Les Paul being one of the most recognisable sights in music. The 'gibsons' he used to record appetite for destruction and play live were replicas. It was only after the album came out that Gibson gave him some real ones. 

• Like 1

Ants...

Very boring post, scroll on by if you want 😁

On my dog walks I have noticed there are a couple of places where ants have a route from a grassed area, over a footpath, to the road (and presumably back again).

Anyway, there appears to be a trail from grass to road on the footpath (a faint trail like a very narrow snail trail) which the ants appear to follow. However I now think that the ants are making this trail, perhaps as as some sort of homing scent, and not as I first thought, following the trail of something that may have crawled away and died.

I did warn you.

On 02/08/2022 at 22:54, Wings of a Sparrow said:

There hasn't been a new one in years...

December 2021 apparently, seems longer. Got a bit tired I thought.

Also had HIGNFY finally disappeared, I know there was talk of it?

The problem with these shows is that the actual news is now beyond satire.  

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Ants...

Very boring post, scroll on by if you want 😁

On my dog walks I have noticed there are a couple of places where ants have a route from a grassed area, over a footpath, to the road (and presumably back again).

Anyway, there appears to be a trail from grass to road on the footpath (a faint trail like a very narrow snail trail) which the ants appear to follow. However I now think that the ants are making this trail, perhaps as as some sort of homing scent, and not as I first thought, following the trail of something that may have crawled away and died.

I did warn you.

The ant death spiral!!

On 02/08/2022 at 22:05, Herman said:

I used to like both but they leave me cold nowadays. They just have gone on too long and the formats a bit stale. Must have had decent viewing figures to keep them going for so long.

MTW pretty swiftly fell into cliche and whole rounds were clearly set up to let the comics crowbar in 2 minutes from their stand up sets, didn't feel organic at all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, king canary said:

MTW pretty swiftly fell into cliche and whole rounds were clearly set up to let the comics crowbar in 2 minutes from their stand up sets, didn't feel organic at all.

Yes, that was its problem in a nutshell. Parts of it felt very scripted without being scripted, if that makes sense. Most of the comedians on there I liked so it is nothing personal about them, just the programme.

It was sad to see The Royal Arcade and other parts of the centre so empty of shops. Still plenty around but I can't see it getting any better.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

Catcher in the Rye is one of the most overrated books in literature.

I haven't read it and I didn't shoot Reagan either.

1 hour ago, TheGunnShow said:

Catcher in the Rye is one of the most overrated books in literature.

Yes. I read it years ago and I thought, well, what the heck was the fuss all about.

17 minutes ago, Herman said:

I haven't read it and I didn't shoot Reagan either.

Nearly wanted to shoot Holden after it, to be honest.

10 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Yes. I read it years ago and I thought, well, what the heck was the fuss all about.

With the obvious caveat that I read it in German, not English, my thoughts were that it was very stylishly written and very evocative (I could very easily paint the pictures in my head even though I've never been to the USA and New York), but I simply found Holden incredibly whiny and incredibly sheltered as a main character. One of my closest friends asked me my view and my response was "I think if Caulfield had gone through my childhood instead of his, the book wouldn't have been written from his perspective, but more a grieving parent due to a suicide".

Oh, I hated Romeo and Juliet as well. We had that at school for months. Much preferred Henry V.

Oh yeah, and IMO Sophie's World should be required reading at school. Bite me.

Edited by TheGunnShow