Thumbbass

Stuff you've thought of but it's too dull for conversation

13 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Prime example, I admin a couple of Myers-Briggs groups on FB based on one of the specific 16 personality types. And we ALWAYS find some blethering muppets who read the descriptions and start - often quite moronically - gatekeeping the characteristics and saying "you're not a true.... because you do X and Y and Z." Always gets a prodigious eye roll out of me, that.

Now I’m (not so) silently judging you! You do know it’s way out of date and repeatedly discredited? As a very limited shorthand to introduce people to the idea of personality types and stimulate discussion, it has some very restricted value but things have moved on since 1944.

2 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Now I’m (not so) silently judging you! You do know it’s way out of date and repeatedly discredited? As a very limited shorthand to introduce people to the idea of personality types and stimulate discussion, it has some very restricted value but things have moved on since 1944.

Oh yeah, I knew that all along. Myers and Briggs simply tried building on Jung's work on introversion. I quip that it's a LinkedIn version of astrology.

Exercising the "J" function, are you? 😉

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Nah, maybe they just enjoy it? It's not something I'd do personally but if that's how they choose to pass leisure, it doesn't require judgement from me.

I liked watching Rugrats and bought cereals just to collect the set of pencil toppers. I was in my early 30s. A friend bought me the whole set last year as I had lost a couple. I am now 58 🤣🤣🤣

BCE3E441-A059-4863-8DA6-A79C2554ADAD.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

I liked watching Rugrats and bought cereals just to collect the set of pencil toppers. I was in my early 30s. A friend bought me the whole set last year as I had lost a couple. I am now 58 🤣🤣🤣

BCE3E441-A059-4863-8DA6-A79C2554ADAD.jpeg

To quote the foreword on my favourite foreign language anthology of poetry (Galgenlieder by Christian Morgenstern, if anyone's wondering).

"Im echten Manne ist ein Kind versteckt; es will spielen!" (Within every real man there is a child; let him play!)

(Friedrich Nietzsche)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Sorry, I laughed at the skateboarding bit but realised the injury must have really hurt. 

It's not as bad as it looks. The worst part was the relentless mocking from my 8 year old neice. Who couldn't wait to tell my sister about what stupid uncle Alex had done! 

• Haha 2

Leicester City's former ground , Filbert Street, is in fact named after the out of fashion christmas time nut the "filbert".

There you are, I've well and truly got that dullness out in the open!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Daz Sparks said:

Leicester City's former ground , Filbert Street, is in fact named after the out of fashion christmas time nut the "filbert".

There you are, I've well and truly got that dullness out in the open!

It could have been named after the more interesting shape of brush! Or was the brush named after the nut?🤔

Answer this, where is Carrow and why is there a road going to it?

Just now, Herman said:

It could have been named after the more interesting shape of brush! Or was the brush named after the nut?🤔

You fiend! There was me trying to air my dullness, and now you've turned it into a quiz! 😜

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Herman said:

I'm throwing the towel in early Herman! You gonna have to tell me.

Oh, sorry mate, I don't know either. It just popped into my head and something I've never questioned until about 10 minutes ago. Nevermind. It's not that important.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Oh, sorry mate, I don't know either. It just popped into my head and something I've never questioned until about 10 minutes ago. Nevermind. It's not that important.

Now I NEED to know... lol

• Haha 1

I've just been looking on Google maps and there it is, tucked away on the other bank of the river. I've learned something new today.👍

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I did not know this...

Screenshot_20220814-214224.png

"There are many alternative spellings" ... that might explain how  "Carra"' (as in Carra Rud) might have come about then! I've often wondered but now I know it goes back to the Benedicts 😅

Seriously...nice fact(oid) and I didn't know either👍

• Like 2

On 12/08/2022 at 12:04, TheGunnShow said:

Oh yeah, I knew that all along. Myers and Briggs simply tried building on Jung's work on introversion. I quip that it's a LinkedIn version of astrology.

Exercising the "J" function, are you? 😉

There you go, I am very much a P not a J. But here I am judging you. Slightly tongue in cheek but nevertheless it’s not what I am “supposed” to be like.

I do like your description (and don’t like LinkedIn, wasted far too much time on there during lockdown to zero effect).

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

There you go, I am very much a P not a J. But here I am judging you. Slightly tongue in cheek but nevertheless it’s not what I am “supposed” to be like.

I do like your description (and don’t like LinkedIn, wasted far too much time on there during lockdown to zero effect).

I'm an interested 'observer' (think that's the best description) of MB. It's been used for so long in industry, though especially by consultants! They love anything that mixes psychology and statistics - they tie people in knots who will then look at a consultant with wide eyed wonder as he or she tells them what they've already indicated in some questionnaire. I don't believe it is used too seriously though because you can have all kinds of leaders and there are many other personality attributes that contribute to someone being decent or otherwise in a leadership position (let alone their familial development). It can however be an eye opener in how people see the world so differently. You can then get a basis (a practical application) for how to solve it. That's the key - doing something with or getting an understanding of differences in people. It can also lead to better self understanding - one's areas of comparative weakness.

M & B didn't expect it to be so deterministic but more of a guide. The problem is that many people love labels and categories and can obsess over classifications. I think that's what TheGunnShow was also intimating. People self identify so strongly.

The other issue is Jung's own simplification of the 4 characteristics and introversion/extraversion. These are artificial constructions by their very nature. 

Still, so many thousands of books and even vocations have been facilitated by the early work of these two women!

Just one article here (there are many) if you're interested enough.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/my-brothers-keeper/202002/in-defense-the-myers-briggs

By the way I'm a typical INFJ 😅 and that does actually explain an awful lot about me. But I'm also cool about it all because in the end I tend to also think "so what" which is exactly what my so-called opposite - the ESTP - might think! For me I have a way of looking at the world (definitely) but I also look towards how another person quite different to me would think of a problem emerging.  It's a great tool to have to try and be happy and as balanced as you can be. Because we can all get out of kilter and lack some perspective from time to time. Certainly I can be very idealistic so I need some hard realism at times. Others provide that at times. Or I find it. I wouldn't ever want to lose my idealism though. It's what makes life better for me. 

To conclude....Using MB can be just one tool for us to try and understand ourselves. Most of the time all we can rely on is getting older and trying to be more wise😏

Interesting exchange above though - thanks.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I'm an interested 'observer' (think that's the best description) of MB. It's been used for so long in industry, though especially by consultants! They love anything that mixes psychology and statistics - they tie people in knots who will then look at a consultant with wide eyed wonder as he or she tells them what they've already indicated in some questionnaire. I don't believe it is used too seriously though because you can have all kinds of leaders and there are many other personality attributes that contribute to someone being decent or otherwise in a leadership position (let alone their familial development). It can however be an eye opener in how people see the world so differently. You can then get a basis (a practical application) for how to solve it. That's the key - doing something with or getting an understanding of differences in people. It can also lead to better self understanding - one's areas of comparative weakness.

M & B didn't expect it to be so deterministic but more of a guide. The problem is that many people love labels and categories and can obsess over classifications. I think that's what TheGunnShow was also intimating. People self identify so strongly.

The other issue is Jung's own simplification of the 4 characteristics and introversion/extraversion. These are artificial constructions by their very nature. 

Still, so many thousands of books and even vocations have been facilitated by the early work of these two women!

Just one article here (there are many) if you're interested enough.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog/my-brothers-keeper/202002/in-defense-the-myers-briggs

By the way I'm a typical INFJ 😅 and that does actually explain an awful lot about me. But I'm also cool about it all because in the end I tend to also think "so what" which is exactly what my so-called opposite - the ESTP - might think! For me I have a way of looking at the world (definitely) but I also look towards how another person quite different to me would think of a problem emerging.  It's a great tool to have to try and be happy and as balanced as you can be. Because we can all get out of kilter and lack some perspective from time to time. Certainly I can be very idealistic so I need some hard realism at times. Others provide that at times. Or I find it. I wouldn't ever want to lose my idealism though. It's what makes life better for me. 

To conclude....Using MB can be just one tool for us to try and understand ourselves. Most of the time all we can rely on is getting older and trying to be more wise😏

Interesting exchange above though - thanks.

As LYB pointed out a while ago, this is self-evidently not too dull for conversation (at least, not if you’re INFJ 😉). I oscillate on the Introversion/Extroversion scale from 90% introverted to 52% extroverted which is a pretty broad brush!

But ultimately I think the point is that something created about 80 years ago is likely to have been superceded by now. As a sceptic, I’d recommend this as a brief review of how models of personality types have been refined: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die. The HEXACO model it links to looks much more nuanced.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

As LYB pointed out a while ago, this is self-evidently not too dull for conversation (at least, not if you’re INFJ 😉). I oscillate on the Introversion/Extroversion scale from 90% introverted to 52% extroverted which is a pretty broad brush!

But ultimately I think the point is that something created about 80 years ago is likely to have been superceded by now. As a sceptic, I’d recommend this as a brief review of how models of personality types have been refined: https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/give-and-take/201309/goodbye-mbti-the-fad-won-t-die. The HEXACO model it links to looks much more nuanced.

Yes thanks NS. I've come across the Big Five before. It is indeed more differentiated. I had to laugh at the part in the article which states "most people prefer to be called agreeable than disagreeable" - the author hasn't trawled some posts on this messageboard then. Some thrive on being miserablists.

I guess it is amazing that MB has lasted so long. The other test is Firo B which has also been "done" on me. I recall being at a meeting at Leeds Bradford airport (again our consultant's idea) listening to a talk, on this occasion one of the speakers was John Battle MP (ex Leeds). I loved what he was saying. After, the consultant came up to me and confided quietly into my ear "you would have loved John Battle...he has virtually the same Firo B scores as you". Bloody hell I thought at the time, the b*stard knows everything about me.

Yes, you're right about an INFJ too - doesn't take much at all to get me interested in any idea! I would lap up any new concepts about most things. Because I like to see patterns I think. Plus, I like people - even though I'm an introvert (hermit like at times). Yet like you, I can be outgoing - but only in very small groups (of one...maybe two).

I suppose this post topic isn't too dull for conversation as LYB stated (because nothing ever is really)... And yet I suspect this subject may bore many people.

That's a line drawn above😂 (unless anyone wishes to continue)

Oh well, let me try and be more relevant to the thread ....and mention that I've noticed that you just don't tend to see signs on hills saying 1:4 or say 1:7 anymore? Or the percentage equivalent ones.

Have they been removed? Are cars more capable brake wise and therefore such signs are less needed? Where I live it's full of hills, everywhere you go, many being even 1:3s!  As a boy I used to be excited when my father would announce "this is a really steep hill". Such stupid and simple pleasures of being a car passenger have now receded into the mists of time.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

Does non-football enjoy a higher proportion of posts on the Pinkun relative to the main football section after a win than after a draw or a loss? 

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yep, although I think all the claims of it being offensive are a bit stupid- it is just very very annoying.

I found it offensive but probably not for the same reason as most. I just couldn't hack the half arsed singing. I lasted 18 seconds before I added crown paints to the list of things I'll never buy as the advert is rubbish. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I found it offensive but probably not for the same reason as most. I just couldn't hack the half arsed singing. I lasted 18 seconds before I added crown paints to the list of things I'll never buy as the advert is rubbish. 

It's like the annoying Adverts that pop up in the middle of (for example) watching YouTube videos, if they think it's going to encourage me to buy their s.hit, then I can tell you it has exactly the opposite effect 🤣🤣

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Herman said:

Oooh, some proper rain and a little bit of lightning for good luck.👍

Nothing here on the East Coast, sky is a funny yellow, so fingers crossed 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Nothing here on the East Coast, sky is a funny yellow, so fingers crossed 

If it hasn't reached you yet then there is a lot of rain on its way. 

On 12/08/2022 at 11:21, TheGunnShow said:

To quote the foreword on my favourite foreign language anthology of poetry (Galgenlieder by Christian Morgenstern, if anyone's wondering).

"Im echten Manne ist ein Kind versteckt; es will spielen!" (Within every real man there is a child; let him play!)

(Friedrich Nietzsche)

within a real man there is a hidden child, it wants to play. 

we can't expect that translation services online get it right, nuances matter.

2 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

within a real man there is a hidden child, it wants to play. 

we can't expect that translation services online get it right, nuances matter.

That's a purely semantic translation here, although personally I would say the fact that it starts with "within" already covers the notion of being "hidden" by dint of already being "within" the man in question. Verstecken does mean "to hide" / versteckt does mean "hidden", that is true though.

Nuances do matter, but so does context.