The Great Mass Debater

Starting line-up for Liverpool

I have just watched the last hour of Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with Atletico Club Bilbao, and I’ve seen enough to know that it certainly won’t be all one way traffic at the weekend, and in fact I think it’ll be a pretty open game. Curiously, Bilbao play in a very similar fashion to us (deliberate choice by Liverpool for their last pre season game?), on the deck, out from the back, and they gave Liverpool lots of problems in defence. The commentators were quick to say ‘Well it looks like Salah won’t get a goal in pre season, so watch out Norwich!’, and in fairness there was some of the quick attacking moves you associate with Klopp’s Liverpool, with Harvey Elliott looking a stand out alongside Salah. But they were definitely open to the counter, and as I say, we will certainly get our chances. Feeling quietly confident that we might just sneak something at the weekend based on what I just saw so bring it on (and it certainly wasn’t played at a ‘friendly’ tempo btw!).

I have just watched the last hour of Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with Atletico Club Bilbao, and I’ve seen enough to know that it certainly won’t be all one way traffic at the weekend, and in fact I think it’ll be a pretty open game. Curiously, Bilbao play in a very similar fashion to us (deliberate choice by Liverpool for their last pre season game?), on the deck, out from the back, and they gave Liverpool lots of problems in defence. The commentators were quick to say ‘Well it looks like Salah won’t get a goal in pre season, so watch out Norwich!’, and in fairness there was some of the quick attacking moves you associate with Klopp’s Liverpool, with Harvey Elliott looking a stand out alongside Salah. But they were definitely open to the counter, and as I say, we will certainly get our chances. Feeling quietly confident that we might just sneak something at the weekend based on what I just saw so bring it on (and it certainly wasn’t played at a ‘friendly’ tempo btw!).

It's quite tough to say at this stage as we don't really know who is out through injury and who is/isn't deemed match sharp.

Based on guesswork of the above, I'd go with:

(4-3-2-1): Krul; Aarons, Omobamidele, Gibson, Giannoulis; Rupp, Gilmour, Lees-Melou; Dowell, Cantwell; Idah.

This is assuming Cantwell's knock is minor, and players like Hanley, Rashica and Pukki are not quite ready to start.

The defence worries me slightly against Liverpool with two very attacking full backs and a rookie, so I'd be tempted to take out Rupp and put Sorensen in as part of a back three. Hopefully Hanley can recover in time to play though, so it would be him in the back three.

It's quite tough to say at this stage as we don't really know who is out through injury and who is/isn't deemed match sharp.

(4-3-2-1): Krul; Aarons, Omobamidele, Gibson, Giannoulis; Rupp, Gilmour, Lees-Melou; Dowell, Cantwell; Idah.

This is assuming Cantwell's knock is minor, and players like Hanley, Rashica and Pukki are not quite ready to start.

The defence worries me slightly against Liverpool with two very attacking full backs and a rookie, so I'd be tempted to take out Rupp and put Sorensen in as part of a back three. Hopefully Hanley can recover in time to play though, so it would be him in the back three.

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

If it’s any consolation, Wacky, Liverpool’s defence I don’t think looked outstanding a moment a go against Bilbao. Hopefully Cantwell’s back, but we can definitely get at them there for sure, they really weren’t all that defensively.

25 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

If it’s any consolation, Wacky, Liverpool’s defence I don’t think looked outstanding a moment a go against Bilbao. Hopefully Cantwell’s back, but we can definitely get at them there for sure, they really weren’t all that defensively.

It's not Liverpool's defence that I'm concerned about! They've got a world class attack and keeping them quiet is key; if we can manage that and hit them on the counter with our wing backs then we've got a chance.

10 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

It's not Liverpool's defence that I'm concerned about! They've got a world class attack and keeping them quiet is key; if we can manage that and hit them on the counter with our wing backs then we've got a chance.

Exactly! As I say, they still look great going forward, and it would be Sod’s law that Salah gets back on the goal trail against us, but I was hugely encouraged by how Bilbao frequently got at Liverpool, I can see it being quite end to end game actually and we will definitely cause them some problems for sure - it won’t be one way traffic on that showing.

5 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

Although I admire the optimism Alex, I wouldn’t want to draw much from Liverpool’s last friendly in determining how next weekend might pan out, otherwise we might have to factor in our most recent friendly too?!

Either way I’m expecting a very tough game, I think anything equal to or better than a 2 goal loss wouldn’t be too bad at all… 

Given how patchy our pre season has been I’m actually glad we now have the opening fixtures we do - no pressure and nothing to lose, so long as we can just avoid any capitulations.

Hanley is fit, just been isolating, but cantwell is a doubt apparently so I'd go...

Krul

Aarons  Hanley  Gibson  Dimi

Gilmour  Sorenson  PLM

Rashica.                              Dowell

Pukki

With Robertson now likely out, hopefully we can exploit the right wing with Rashica and Aarons

8 minutes ago, APP said:

With Robertson now likely out, hopefully we can exploit the right wing with Rashica and Aarons

Having watched the replay of Robertson’s injury, there is no ‘likely’ about it….

8 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Although I admire the optimism Alex, I wouldn’t want to draw much from Liverpool’s last friendly in determining how next weekend might pan out, otherwise we might have to factor in our most recent friendly too?!

Either way I’m expecting a very tough game, I think anything equal to or better than a 2 goal loss wouldn’t be too bad at all… 

Given how patchy our pre season has been I’m actually glad we now have the opening fixtures we do - no pressure and nothing to lose, so long as we can just avoid any capitulations.

Hear what you’re saying, Hank, but I’ve already factored Newcastle in, and that includes missing quite a few of our best players away from home, and a Newcastle that had the luxury of full pre season and changing every outfield player in the second half. Liverpool were basically full strength other than bringing some kids on later in the game, and were buoyed by the home crowd. I just felt quite encouraged by how Bilbao regularly got at them, this wasn’t a backs to the wall performance by the Spaniards by any stretch. Judging by what I saw I’m not going to take any sort of loss before the match - I honestly think we can get something from this game provided we’re playing a strong 11.

16 hours ago, Bovril said:

I think all likely starters will start irrespective of pre-season minutes and Farke will treat the first two games against Liverpool and Man City as extended pre-season.

Essentially using the two games to get minutes into players legs without having to worry about the result.

Team I think Farke will pick:

Krul

Aarons-Omo-Hanley-Gibson-Giann

Sorenson-Gilmour-Vindaloo

Dowell-Pukki-Rashica

Subs: Gunn, Zimmermann, Mumba, Rupp, Idah, Sargent, Hernandez.

* Cantwell for Dowell if fit

* Rupp for Sorenson if fully fit

Twelve players? Gives us an edge.

With the season looming large, I wonder if the coaching team are taking a gamble on a few of the fringe lads stepping up rather than bringing in (expensive) fresh blood. Perhaps we have no choice? It is openly stated as part of the "model."

Sorensen could be a defensive-minded central midfielder who could slot into a back 3/5 during matches or when Aarons/Dimi venture up the pitch. Idah is being primed as a genuine option up top & possibly out wide on occasion. Omobamidele is also being considered as a contender it would seem. Is Mumba viewed as ready to take his chance at the top level if/when the opportunity arises? 

New arrivals will need lots of time & patience before we can expect any level of consistency. There are still 3 weeks left to fine-tune the squad but it's fast approaching. Farke has experimented with 3 in deep-midfield & 3 CBs during pre-season which is interesting. Might this suggest that our long-feted "Tettey-upgrade" is on the back-burner? I hope not.

Going on the assumption that Hanley, Gibson and Cantwell will be fit to start and that Rupp & McLean will not, we might see something like Jim gave above in a 4-3-2-1:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Gibson     Giannoulis

Lees-Melou   Sorensen   Gilmour

Dowell     Cantwell

Pukki

Bench: Gunn, Idah, Rashica, Onel, Mumba, Omobamidele, (Rupp?, Hugill? Placheta?)

Even assuming Sargent & Tzolis are over the line, picking that team with so few injuries currently indicates we're still a CB, a CM/CDM and perhaps a FB light.

34 minutes ago, paddycanary said:

With the season looming large, I wonder if the coaching team are taking a gamble on a few of the fringe lads stepping up rather than bringing in (expensive) fresh blood. Perhaps we have no choice? It is openly stated as part of the "model."

Sorensen could be a defensive-minded central midfielder who could slot into a back 3/5 during matches or when Aarons/Dimi venture up the pitch. Idah is being primed as a genuine option up top & possibly out wide on occasion. Omobamidele is also being considered as a contender it would seem. Is Mumba viewed as ready to take his chance at the top level if/when the opportunity arises? 

New arrivals will need lots of time & patience before we can expect any level of consistency. There are still 3 weeks left to fine-tune the squad but it's fast approaching. Farke has experimented with 3 in deep-midfield & 3 CBs during pre-season which is interesting. Might this suggest that our long-feted "Tettey-upgrade" is on the back-burner? I hope not.

Going on the assumption that Hanley, Gibson and Cantwell will be fit to start and that Rupp & McLean will not, we might see something like Jim gave above in a 4-3-2-1:

Krul

Aarons     Hanley     Gibson     Giannoulis

Lees-Melou   Sorensen   Gilmour

Dowell     Cantwell

Pukki

Bench: Gunn, Idah, Rashica, Onel, Mumba, Omobamidele, (Rupp?, Hugill? Placheta?)

Even assuming Sargent & Tzolis are over the line, picking that team with so few injuries currently indicates we're still a CB, a CM/CDM and perhaps a FB light.

It was suggested by Webber that we’d be looking to bring in another 5 or possibly even more players by the end of the window, so if Sargent and Tzolis are done then that’s obviously 3+ left which I guess will be the 3 positions you mentioned, Paddy : )

• Like 2

Strongest side when new signings play and all fit:

Krul

Aarons     Gibson     Hanley     Giannoulis

Gilmour      Lees-Melou

Rashica     Cantwell     Tzolis

Pukki

NOTE: Neither Gilmour nor PLM are DMs and so they are only in the team temporarily until DMs have been signed (and Norwich will need two of them in the EPL). Transfer strategy is crazy - 4 box-to-boxers (Gilmour, PLM, McLean & Rupp) but not a single DM. So Webber has spent £47.5 million to go on an EPL suicide mission! Who is supervising this guy? 

10 minutes ago, Big Vince said:

Strongest side when new signings play and all fit:

Krul

Aarons     Gibson     Hanley     Giannoulis

Gilmour      Lees-Melou

Rashica     Cantwell     Tzolis

Pukki

NOTE: Neither Gilmour nor PLM are DMs and so they are only in the team temporarily until DMs have been signed (and Norwich will need two of them in the EPL). Transfer strategy is crazy - 4 box-to-boxers (Gilmour, PLM, McLean & Rupp) but not a single DM. So Webber has spent £47.5 million to go on an EPL suicide mission! Who is supervising this guy? 

Tzolis is supposed to be in isolation for at leats a week or two, no?

Krul

Aarons Hanley Gibson Giannoulis

Gilmour  Lees-Melou  McLean

Rashica         Pukki       Cantwell

9 subs?

Gunn Zimmerman Sorenson Rupp Dowell Tzolis Hernandez Sargent Hugill

This game is pretty much a free hit. No expectation, a point is a bonus, and impossible to predict what Farke will do. Its not worth risking any players not totally fit, or recently arrived. TBH I see the first 4 games almost as warm ups for the real start. BUT, it is possible to catch them unawares, they won't know what to expect, have the pressure of being expected to demolish us, and we have something they may not quite yet be used to-  a hostile and noisy  Carrow Road crowd. 

Whatever team Farke starts with, he will have to use all his allowable substitutes on Saturday.

The match fitness of the entire squad must be in serious question and we will need to use seventeen players to remain competitive for ninety minutes.

I would expect us to play 3-4-2-1 which turns into 5-4-1 when defending on own half. Pool likes to try to create pockets on wings that they take advantage of and we would have extra cover for our wb there from nearest cb to close those pockets.

Pukki                 
              Cantwell           Rupp           
Giann        Gibson   PLM         Aarons
              Gibson Hanley Omo
                              Krul

If Cantwell is out, he would be replaced by Dowell. 
Think Rupp would start over Dowell in such formation, as he brings much higher workrate and more mobility to the pitch.