Sign in to follow this  
fansagainstVAR

O/T The movement against VAR

Hello good people of Norfolk,

On May 22, outside PL HQ in Paddington, London, a peaceful protest will be held against the use of VAR in Premier League football. This protest is for all football fans.

VAR has ripped the heart and soul out of the game. It has sacrificed the soul and does not even get decisions correct, there are too many examples of VAR mistakes for me to list on here.

VAR is also currently calling offside decisions which it cannot definitively call due to frame rates and margin of error. We can not know the goal that was disallowed for Chelsea in the FA cup final was definitively offside for example. 

Norwich City were one of the worst (the worst?) team affected by ludicrous decisions when you were last in the Premier League, and it was good to see your fan group show their displeasure at VAR inside the stadium. As I'm sure you are aware VAR has not improved since the Canaries were last in the Premier League, and currently you will no longer be able to celebrate goals and your players may get sent off in a match by VAR, only to be rescinded later, or a penalty may get given against norwich because VAR has zoomed in on the tiniest "contact" to justify the dive.

It is clearly and obviously not working.

Feel free to follow on twitter (@fansagainstvar_) or sign the petition to scrap VAR: https://www.change.org/p/the-premier-league-remove-the-use-of-the-video-assistant-referee-var-from-premier-league-football?recruiter=908392471&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=share_petition&recruited_by_id=dd1eb300-da22-11e8-9f02-2b214d86d7dc

Happy to discuss VAR more or answer questions etc,

Nice one - Fans Against VAR

jpeg image for var.JPG

VAR.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck with it. Many thousands if not millions of people are against the way it is being used.  I fear though that the more poeple rant and rail against it, the more the powers that be will dig in and just try and tweak it to work better - and this will only of course make it worse. It is beyond belief - beyond words almost - what they are doing with it and have been failing to accept and change what we can all see and understand is wrong with it. It is absolutely ruining the game.

VAR has got away with it this season because of the lack of fans at grounds, but I think that the best thing to get it changed is demonstrations at grounds before matches, continual chanting from the terraces of f*** VAR which will be heard across the world. 

Once fans get back in grounds, the message must be got across - VAR is being mis-used to the point that it is ruining the game.

• Like 1

Its use needs amending, not binning - some offside decisions are clearly mistakes by the officials, there needs to be a margin of error favouring the attacker.   The system isn’t fit to make the fine-line decisions for which it’s being used. 

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Its use needs amending, not binning - some offside decisions are clearly mistakes by the officials, there needs to be a margin of error favouring the attacker.   The system isn’t fit to make the fine-line decisions for which it’s being used. 

I see this argument a lot, but I just can't see how that will clear it up. If there's a margin of error, or it 'favours the attacher', or switches to some other system, it will still continually throw up results which anger the team the decision goes against. If there are still going to be human errors then I'd rather it just went back to how it was - i.e. human errors that don't a) hold up matches or b) stop players/fans being able to celebrate goals.

30 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

"margin of error favouring the attacker"

This^^^^   Why this has not happened is a total mystery to me and leads to all sorts of conspiracy ideas.  Can they not see it for themselves? Was it not clear after the first season of VAR that this was needed? Why did we have to have another season of ridiculous offside decisions based on millimetres, when it has been shown again and again that there is some margin for error needed in the interpretation of camera shots?   They are treating offside decisions like speed cameras - the "yep, gotya attitude" -  when EVERYONE with even half a brain knows that the camera shots are just not accurate enough in their timeline. 

Will anyone with the power to do anything actually have the balls to agree with what everyone knows, or will they continue to stick their heads in the sand and carry on the same next season?  I fear it is the latter, but I am hoping common sense will prevail and they will allow up to a foot length's leeway in offside decisions, or some similar measurement which allows advantage to the attacker - which is what the spirit of the game is supposed to be about.

Also on VAR - are they actually going to do anything about cases like Bamford's when he was fouled by the goalkeeper in the penalty area but stayed on his feet and go no advantage from it, nor a penalty?  Why was VAR not on that straight away???  We want players to stay on their feet and VAR can actually do something about that...but true to form, it didn't. 

Unless referees are better with the use of VAR football is going get worse for it - even now it has had two seasons and they are getting simple things wrong - things that are simple to put right.  Handballs too. 

They have a potentially good system there in VAR, but at the moment they are TOTALLY misusing it.  VAR is not rocket science, heck, it's not even difficult for a five year old to understand, they are simply getting it wrong.  The potential is there for it to be helpful, well they've had two seasons....how many more before they actually start getting something that works better??????

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

Signed 👍The sooner this utter monstrosity is binned from the game completely the better. 

31 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I follow fans against var on Twitter, keep up the good work ! 

A lot of Canaries do! The fanbase has always been great with its anti-var support. Think a few horrors went against you when you were last in the PL. 

Due to the financial doping in the Premier League it will be hard for you guys to stay up - but I'll be hoping you do. 

Also - credit to your fan group (along come nodge?) for the anti-VAR banners last time you were in the PL. Great stuff.

VAR isn't going anywhere, and the game needs it. It's the PLs implementation of it that's the issue, but it is certainly heading in the right direction as being much better than a couple of seasons ago. Yes the fingertip offsides are annoying, but at least they are consistent. Plus, how good was the end to the FA cup game with the goal being rightfully ruled offside? 

• Like 1

VAR and all the game pauses it causes are the first part of the plan to get adverts into the midddle of televised games 🙄 

• Like 2

Football is slowly being turned into soccer. It’s what they want because that’s where the mega bucks will be and VAR is a big part of that process 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

VAR isn't going anywhere, and the game needs it. It's the PLs implementation of it that's the issue, but it is certainly heading in the right direction as being much better than a couple of seasons ago. Yes the fingertip offsides are annoying, but at least they are consistent. Plus, how good was the end to the FA cup game with the goal being rightfully ruled offside? 

We can not be sure that goal was "rightfully" ruled offside. There is a margin of error. Please refer to the image explaining this I attached in my opening post.

The implementation has not improved at all, in my opinion.

Also, the game didn't need it for 150 years and was the most popular sport on earth before VAR, and VAR only exists in a tiny number of leagues, so I'm not convinced the game does need it. 

Edited by fansagainstVAR
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

petitions never work so I'm not going to bother signing it, and whoever does don't get your hopes up

Congratulations on today's stupid-post award.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Coneys Knee said:

VAR and all the game pauses it causes are the first part of the plan to get adverts into the midddle of televised games 🙄 

Absolutely. 

VAR was brought in largely as a risk analysis by the big teams. They do not want to risk their revenue (making Europe) being affected by a bad refereeing decision. Obviously, we have still seen VAR get plenty of decisions wrong, but that was the rationale for it. 

The breaks provide commercial opportunities and it was brought in as a measure to try and protect revenue for the big teams. Obviously, they then went further to try and protect revenues with the ESL. 

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

The game doesn’t NEED it at all. It survived, no flourished before VAR, indeed it was in the decades PRE-VAR, that football became the game we all fell in love with so I’m sorry I cannot buy that statement on any level. It has ruined the game to an extent without question.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, fansagainstVAR said:

VAR was brought in largely as a risk analysis by the big teams. They do not want to risk their revenue (making Europe) being affected by a bad refereeing decision. Obviously, we have still seen VAR get plenty of decisions wrong, but that was the rationale for it. 

The breaks provide commercial opportunities and it was brought in as a measure to try and protect revenue for the big teams. Obviously, they then went further to try and protect revenues with the ESL. 

I support your cause but presenting your first argument as fact weakens your case. Screaming it was brought in as a top 6 conspiracy doesn’t hold water when you say in your first post that Chelsea got negatively impacted by the tech. Unless you’re saying they created a monster they now have no control over?

Stick to the facts: it slows the game down, is inconsistently applied, and even when it gets used still gets decisions wrong (by the PL/PGMOL own admission).

Reform first, if not remove. 

1 hour ago, Coneys Knee said:

Football is slowly being turned into soccer. It’s what they want because that’s where the mega bucks will be and VAR is a big part of that process 

Spot on and it's why I'll always hate it...i would say even if it worked in our favor in one instance, but we all know that will never happen so never mind. 

The reason I will never watch or enjoy American football is because of the constant breaks in play followed by advertisements. This break in play was brought to you by Subway eat fresh in association with our partners at blah blah. You know where I'm going. I don't want to see this sport Americanised and the break in play caused by VAR will give advertisers an opportunity to stick their noses in

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

Just now, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Spot on and it's why I'll always hate it...i would say even if it worked in our favor in one instance, but we all know that will never happen so never mind. 

The reason I will never watch or enjoy American football is because of the constant breaks in play followed by advertisements. This break in play was brought to you by Subway eat Fresh in association with our partners at blah blah. You know where I'm going. I don't want to see this sport Americanised and the break in play caused by VAR will give advertisers an opportunity to stick their noses in

Even talking about VAR leads to Americanisms!

12 minutes ago, WD40 said:

I support your cause but presenting your first argument as fact weakens your case. Screaming it was brought in as a top 6 conspiracy doesn’t hold water when you say in your first post that Chelsea got negatively impacted by the tech. Unless you’re saying they created a monster they now have no control over?

Stick to the facts: it slows the game down, is inconsistently applied, and even when it gets used still gets decisions wrong (by the PL/PGMOL own admission).

Reform first, if not remove. 

It's out of their hands now, but it is well documented it was the larger clubs pushing for VAR. It's not that they thought VAR would fix results for them, its just that they felt errors "randomness" benefitted smaller teams. 

52 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ah the old 'I don't have an argument against what you said so you stupid' reply. Classic

Really? You really want to go with that?

Your argument was Petitions never work. I suggest you do a little bit of reading in your spare time and perhaps read a book or two.

I'll even give you the first link from a Google search to get your weekend going...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/12/22/us/top-petitions-decade-change-trnd/index.html

There's two sides to VAR for me.

Watching on TV it's an annoyance having to wait for a decision while watching replays.

But in the stadium it's devastating not celebrating goals. The biggest celebrations seem to be when the opposition gets one chalked off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fansagainstVAR said:

We can not be sure that goal was "rightfully" ruled offside. There is a margin of error. Please refer to the image explaining this I attached in my opening post.

The implementation has not improved at all, in my opinion.

Also, the game didn't need it for 150 years and was the most popular sport on earth before VAR, and VAR only exists in a tiny number of leagues, so I'm not convinced the game does need it. 

I like where your head is at.

I for one believe VAR is a great idea and a fantastic tool that the refs should use only when there is doubt in a call / no-call situation, it that the managers are allowed to use to challenge a call / no-call situation. 

VAR should NOT be used to dictate to, nor overrule the refs on the field of play.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Ah the old 'I don't have an argument against what you said so you stupid' reply. Classic

I take it you don’t vote in elections either?

37 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

The biggest celebrations seem to be when the opposition gets one chalked off.

You win some, you lose some, such is life.

13 minutes ago, ricardo said:

You win some, you lose some, such is life.

Sorry Rickyyyyy but seeing an opposition goal chalked off is no consolation for holding fire on celebrating a goal.

Football is becoming more and more a tv sport. Supporters are needed in the grounds to be like tv extras but they  pay more than the viewers for being there.

• Like 2