FatCanary

Buendia to Arsenal for reported £40m

Are we all forgetting that it is probable Buendia only stayed this season because it was agreed that he could leave for x at the end of it? One man doesn’t make a team - strengthening several positions does. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, astro said:

Are we all forgetting that it is probable Buendia only stayed this season because it was agreed that he could leave for x at the end of it? One man doesn’t make a team - strengthening several positions does. 

Very likely.

We were already massively up against it at this level having lost Skipp. We've now just taken 30+ of last season's goals out of our team and given them straight to a rival.

We won't have a better player at the club for a long, long time. Absolutely gutted.

Stifling the disappointment for a second...

Anyone else also a little excited to see what we do now we've effectively doubled our transfer budget?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HertsCanary93 said:

We were already massively up against it at this level having lost Skipp. We've now just taken 30+ of last season's goals out of our team and given them straight to a rival.

We won't have a better player at the club for a long, long time. Absolutely gutted.

And to cap it all we just sent a clear message out to any prospective players that we are not really going for it at all- we sold our best player before a ball was kicked despite not needing the money. I mean it’s hardly as if we spent anything last time round!!! 

3 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Anyone else also a little excited to see what we do now we've effectively doubled our transfer budget?

We'll just get told that "the money comes in over a five year period and so we couldn't spend it". Like with every other player sale over the last 5 years.

I am.

Think Spurs will pick up the phone and listen to an offer for an injured player who has been on loan in lower tier for a year?

I am. This season makes or breaks Webber’s rep at this level. Last PL transfer window he was in charge of was objectively awful. He’s not proved to anyone he can bring in players and build a team at this level yet.

If he’s truly going to move on either at the end of this season or sometime soon after he needs to prove what he can do at this level with the funds (which he now has).

3 minutes ago, HertsCanary93 said:

We'll just get told that "the money comes in over a five year period and so we couldn't spend it". Like with every other player sale over the last 5 years.

Blimey, I must have dreamt that we replaced Maddison with Buendia or Godfrey with Gibson, or Lewis with Gianuolis 

• Like 2

I think as long as this deal STARTS at £35 million I can live with it, and trust Webber to reinvest wisely. 

I'm still just more gobsmacked at Emi himself, I'm mean...... Villa????? 

Just astonishing. I can’t think of one example of a promoted club selling their best player? Our record without Buendia has been abysmal and not only that we’ve effectively now limited Pukkis threat. It’s going to take the greatest transfer window of all time to make up for this. Absolutely speechless 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Blimey, I must have dreamt that we replaced Maddison with Buendia or Godfrey with Gibson, or Lewis with Gianuolis 

Gibson and Gianoulis were signed with the promotion money, not from the sale of Godfrey or Lewis. At best their sales covered the loan fees.

And we spent about 3m the season we sold Maddison for 25m.

Not a great argument in support of our record for player sales being reinvested.

I'm more than happy to eat my words if we spend 60m+ this season... But I'm not holding out much hope.

Edited by HertsCanary93

7 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

Just astonishing. I can’t think of one example of a promoted club selling their best player? Our record without Buendia has been abysmal and not only that we’ve effectively now limited Pukkis threat. It’s going to take the greatest transfer window of all time to make up for this. Absolutely speechless 

Why astonishing ... this has been expected for months!

It is how things work under Webber. We don't have a billionaire owner with bottomless pockets and have opted, instead, to buy cheap, polish up, sell high and reinvest. The project is about growing steadily but surely rather than wasting promotions with short term thinking.

You can't cheer the Webber trophy lifts and cry at the Webber sales. It is the path we are on and it won't all be a bed of roses.

Edited by Cantiaci Canary
  • Like 1

I think we all need to calm a little and wait for Aug 31st until we can see if this is a good or bad deal. For example earlier we were linked with Perreira for £15 million, now Perreira and £20millon+ for Buendia wouldn't be the end of the world. 

• Like 1

Just now, HertsCanary93 said:

Gibson and Gianoulis were signed with the promotion money, not from the sale of Godfrey or Lewis. At best their sales covered the loan fees.

And we spent about 3m the season we sold Maddison for 25m.

Not a great argument in support of our record for player sales being reinvested.

Ah ok, so with the Maddison one you would have preferred we signed more expensive players instead of Buendia and gone out of business? Not really a good argument there either pal.

Why don't you wait until the end of this window. If we have spent nothing I will happily come with you to howl outside the boardroom.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Interestingly all of those signed when we were in champs not prem. it’s the next step up we fail to make every single time 

Just now, Ultralk26 said:

Norwich will be relegation champions at the end of season, 6 times is quite impressive.

binner.

I can't help thinking it's incredibly odd that a promoted club to Premiership sells its best and most creative player. Fantastic profit, and if he goes, well done for doing it early so it sets out the strategy for strengthening. HOWEVER...

Money doesn't necessarily buy you better players. Last premiership campaign the signings were awful and didn't strengthen one iota.

Now we have the money (hopefully means we keep Cantwell & Aarons) we MUST get a creative player and serious competition for Pukki!! 

10 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

Why astonishing ... this has been expected for months!

It is how things work under Webber. We don't have a billionaire owner with bottomless pockets and have opted, instead, to buy cheap, polish up, sell high and reinvest. The project is about growing steadily but surely rather than wasting promotions with short term thinking.

You can't cheer the Webber trophy lifts and cry at the Webber sales. It is the path we are on and it won't all be a bed of roses.

You find me one example of a newly promoted club selling a player of this importance to their team to a mid table PL side and we will then discuss it

Edited by Virtual reality

Situation is ****, no doubt. Villa is a sideways step for Emi.

But, this is how it goes. We have to take little steps back to take steps forward.

Is now down to Webber, who will 100% know the reaction from the fanbase, to make sure this step back is met with a suitable reaction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

Ah ok, so with the Maddison one you would have preferred we signed more expensive players instead of Buendia and gone out of business? Not really a good argument there either pal.

Why don't you wait until the end of this window. If we have spent nothing I will happily come with you to howl outside the boardroom.

I'm not saying that at all - and didn't say anything to even suggest that was my opinion.

I'm saying this sale will not "double our transfer budget". Nothing in our clubs transfer history suggests that would happen. Our net spend is massively in the favour of selling.

Just now, Mason 47 said:

Situation is ****, no doubt. Villa is a sideways step for Emi.

But, this is how it goes. We have to take little steps back to take steps forward.

Is now down to Webber, who will 100% know the reaction from the fanbase, to make sure this step back is met with a suitable reaction.

I’m not sure they will expect the reaction from the fanbase they are going to get. Absolutely livid.

thst said probably no coincidence they are doing this at a time when there have not been and will not be any fans in the ground. 

• Like 1

Just now, HertsCanary93 said:

I'm not saying that at all - and didn't say anything to even suggest that was my opinion.

I'm saying this sale will not "double our transfer budget". Nothing in our clubs transfer history suggests that would happen. Our net spend is massively in the favour of selling.

Well, the great thing about this situation is by the end of august we will be able to see who was right or not, lets wait and see. We go out and get Armstrong, Pereria, Skipp on loan and a decent CB and we might call it a good window in the end.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Virtual reality said:

You find me one example of a newly promoted club selling a player of this importance to the team to a mid table PL side and we will then discuss it

But, we're doing everything in a unique way ... a way that's earned us two titles and gifted us some of the best football we've seen in a long time. 

This is DELIBERATELY different to the norm and it's an experiment that has worked wonders to this point.

1 minute ago, birchfest said:

Well, the great thing about this situation is by the end of august we will be able to see who was right or not, lets wait and see. We go out and get Armstrong, Pereria, Skipp on loan and a decent CB and we might call it a good window in the end.

Skipp will not be coming. It’s been reported in the press that one of the reasons the Conte talks with Spurs broke down was his reluctance to work with their up and coming players.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I’m not sure they will expect the reaction from the fanbase they are going to get. Absolutely livid.

thst said probably no coincidence they are doing this at a time when there have not been and will not be any fans in the ground. 

They will hope that some of the fan base have been listening for the past four years! 

This was ALWAYS on the cards and they've made that crystal clear.