Sign in to follow this  
The Bristol Nest

Moan. Ads on Android Pink Un.

It's the whole of Archant for me. I tried the edp24 app but it's just as relentless. You get a one-sentence paragraph then have to scroll past pictures, videos, random links... And god forbid you try to find the comments! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Evil Monkey said:

It's the whole of Archant for me. I tried the edp24 app but it's just as relentless. You get a one-sentence paragraph then have to scroll past pictures, videos, random links... And god forbid you try to find the comments! 

That's outrageous. How much did you pay? You should ask for your money back... 

• Haha 2

I just wait for Cambridge to post up the interesting articles on here.😀

• Haha 1

I have to agree. 

I fully understand the need for ads in order for the website to remain free, however accessing the site on a mobile is virtually a no-go. I don't mind scrolling past an ad to read the article but the nature of the ads on the site make it impossible to scroll past (which is great for marketing but terrible for user enjoyment). 

I have been avoiding using the website as a result when on mobile. Such a shame. 

17 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

My services are always valuable 😉

We have noticed! 😊 

• Haha 1

This is why I'm comfortable using adblocking browser extensions. I don't mind unobtrusive ads, but anything that plays a video or animation, gets in the way of the text, or links to something spammy I don't think is reasonable.

We don't pay money for using this site, so if the price to pay is some annoying ads, then so be it. 

Perhaps they could introduce a premium option so people can pay to opt out of ads if they prefer?  Have seen it plenty on other apps.

Edited by Orly
  • Like 1

I don't mind the ads.

That said i'd gladly pay a subscription fee for respectable conversation, if that were the alternative.

1 hour ago, FatCanary said:

I don't mind the ads.

That said i'd gladly pay a subscription fee for respectable conversation, if that were the alternative.

Is that the 5 minute quickie conversation or the full half hour  . No refunds if the ' conversation ' finishes early btw. Nor do you get a 'second go' , it's wipe up and gtfo I'm afraid 😇👍😉

• Like 1

Ads, while being necessary, are becoming generally too obtrusive on android devices.  It has got to the point with me that I just don't go back to any site that ruins content with ads popping up all over the place, making it difficult to navigate to things you want to see. You Tube is the prime example on android - vitually unwatchable as far as I'm concerned.

It is a balance - a few ads not too obtrusive will not affect your audience numbers - but get it wrong and you will lose customers.

Edited by lake district canary
  • Like 1

If any of you come across an issue with ads blocking the site, can you screenshot it and post it in here? The web team can take a look at misbehaving ads from what I understand

On 28/04/2021 at 10:48, FatCanary said:

I don't mind the ads.

Subscription fee for respectable conversation you say.... From my 17 years of reading this site, a respectable conversation has yet to occur! 

1 hour ago, Norfolk Dan said:

Subscription fee for respectable conversation you say.... From my 17 years of reading this site, a respectable conversation has yet to occur! 

I was born to mediate. We can fight back.

• Haha 1

I don't envisage paying to get abuse. I get that for free at home😀

However, three different browsers on my laptop get the annoying bad request mumbo jumbo. I am not deleting everything like cookies on it just to get back onto this site.

Only my kindle seems free from it for any length of time but is limited in its uses on this site.

On 28/04/2021 at 06:21, Fuzzar said:

That's outrageous. How much did you pay? You should ask for your money back... 

It's not about the presence of ads, they're a necessary evil... Its the way they're aligned over and between text. It's a formatting problem. 

4 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I don't envisage paying to get abuse. I get that for free at home😀

However, three different browsers on my laptop get the annoying bad request mumbo jumbo. I am not deleting everything like cookies on it just to get back onto this site.

Only my kindle seems free from it for any length of time but is limited in its uses on this site.

It's something to do with the makers of the forum software. It happens on another that I look at.