Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

How were Norwich doing ten years ago?

Thought I might make a fun little blast to the past- As it happens ten years ago was a season we got promoted to the Prem. On the 12th February 2011 we beat Reading at home 2-1. What did we do? Lansbury started the scoring in just the 16th minute, altthough Reading managed to nab a goal just ten minutes later.. Only for Holt to smash one in the back of the net at the very last second of the game in the 94th minute! I do remember the last minue goal, as I was working at the time I had a friend who informed me the score was 1-1 in the 90th minute so I spent most of the rest of the day thinking it was a draw until I got home.

~RS~q~RS~~RS~z~RS~13~RS~
  • 1 Ruddy
  • 02 R Martin
  • 03 Drury
  • 20 Barnett
  • 22 Ward
  • 07 Crofts
  • 12 Lansbury
  • 14 Hoolahan
  • 15 Fox
  • 09 Holt
  • 16 C Martin
Edited by cambridgeshire canary
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Good post.

What we'd give for an attacking line-up like that now!

Lansbury was good for us.

Lansbury has always been a solid Championship midfielder, getting on a bit now but I'm sure he could still do the job here.

.. Would like to know his are secrets mind as he seems to have reverse aged.. 🤔

norwich.png

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

30 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Thought I might make a fun little blast to the past- As it happens ten years ago was a season we got promoted to the Prem. On the 12th February 2011 we beat Reading at home 2-1. What did we do? Lansbury started the scoring in just the 16th minute, altthough Reading managed to nab a goal just ten minutes later.. Only for Holt to smash one in the back of the net at the very last second of the game in the 94th minute! I do remember the last minue goal, as I was working at the time I had a friend who informed me the score was 1-1 in the 90th minute so I spent most of the rest of the day thinking it was a draw until I got home.

~RS~q~RS~~RS~z~RS~13~RS~
  • 1 Ruddy
  • 02 R Martin
  • 03 Drury
  • 20 Barnett
  • 22 Ward
  • 07 Crofts
  • 12 Lansbury
  • 14 Hoolahan
  • 15 Fox
  • 09 Holt
  • 16 C Martin

Great line up , great day and great season. Cannot believe it was 10 years ago . Remember going bonkers when Holt scored. He beat Ian Harte to the ball which made it extra sweet after Harte conned Michael Oliver earlier in the season. 

I wonder how the Holt/Wes combo from 2010/11 compared to Pukki/Steipi in our last promotion season, I'll have to have a look when I get time.

Fun fact; Russ Martin scored 6 goals (5 in the league) in this season, the most he managed in a season during his career

10 minutes ago, Creedence Clearwater Couto said:

Was the Holty winner started by a quick throw from Lambert? Was that the game? 

Was a fantastic season, quite possibly my favourite. 

If it's the one I'm thinking of, wasn't it a throw from McNally in the stands to Lambert, and then onto a player who threw it in and started the attack that got the goal?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

If it's the one I'm thinking of, wasn't it a throw from McNally in the stands to Lambert, and then onto a player who threw it in and started the attack that got the goal?

Yes you are spot on.

1:10 mins.

What a fantastic season.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AJ said:

I wonder how the Holt/Wes combo from 2010/11 compared to Pukki/Steipi in our last promotion season, I'll have to have a look when I get time.

Fun fact; Russ Martin scored 6 goals (5 in the league) in this season, the most he managed in a season during his career

Still argue that the Holt/Wes linkup is the best I have seen at Carrow Road in my lifetime..

I mean, I am only 30 but still

6 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Yes you are spot on.

1:10 mins.

What a fantastic season.

Lovely little flick from Surman to break the lines to set up the pass that went across goal. Was Surman that seasons Vrancic?

Was it such a fantastic team when compared to the current one?

Ruddy < Krul

Martin < Aarons

Drury > Giannoulis

Barnet < Hanley

Ward < Gibson

Crofts < Skipp

Fox < McLean

Lansbury < Buendia

Hoolahan > Any No 10 we have.

Martin < Cantwell

Holt = Pukki (I can't separate them, Pukki is probably technically better but I love Holt more and his presence impacted the team more).

I had to shoehorn the comparisons a little due to different formations but only 2 that I believe are better.

Most people have said it was a fantastic season, not necessarily a fantastic team, but in the context of the 2018/19 team v 2010/11 it compares probably less favourably in terms of technical ability.

But then you had the Lambert factor where everyone would run through brick walls for him and probably produced the form of their lives. 

27 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Still argue that the Holt/Wes linkup is the best I have seen at Carrow Road in my lifetime..

I mean, I am only 30 but still

You are too young to have seen Sutton and Fox - they were a pretty good pair, although slightly different in that Ruel was an out and out winger. Pukki and Buendia are a pretty handy combination too. 

6 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

Ruddy < Krul

Martin < Aarons

Drury > Giannoulis

Barnet < Hanley

Ward < Gibson

Crofts < Skipp

Fox < McLean

Lansbury < Buendia

Martin < Cantwell

Holt = Pukki (I can't separate them, Pukki is probably technically better but I love Holt more and his presence impacted the team more).

I had to shoehorn the comparisons a little due to different formations but only 2 that I believe are better.

Whilst I agree with the fact that comparing those two 11s this year's team would certainly score higher (though I might argue the Martin v Cantwell, Crofts v Skipp and Fox v McLean could at least be = if not a point or two in favour of 2010/11) it's a squad game.

As we are starting to see, with two or three players out or in a dip of form, we've not got any one to come in and replace them. What your comparison doesn't cover is the fact that outside of that starting 11 we had Andrew Surman, Simon Lappin and Simeon Jackson starting plenty of games, Dani Pacheco for a month or so, Mark Tierney and Korey Smith. In short, we had options to change it up and starting players could not rest on their laurels as there were perfectly capable replacements ready to jump in at a moments notice.

Admittedly some of our lack of options this season has been down to injuries, but the 2010/11 squad seemed to have more weapons outside of their best 11 than the current crop.

2 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

Whilst I agree with the fact that comparing those two 11s this year's team would certainly score higher (though I might argue the Martin v Cantwell, Crofts v Skipp and Fox v McLean could at least be = if not a point or two in favour of 2010/11) it's a squad game.

As we are starting to see, with two or three players out or in a dip of form, we've not got any one to come in and replace them. What your comparison doesn't cover is the fact that outside of that starting 11 we had Andrew Surman, Simon Lappin and Simeon Jackson starting plenty of games, Dani Pacheco for a month or so, Mark Tierney and Korey Smith. In short, we had options to change it up and starting players could not rest on their laurels as there were perfectly capable replacements ready to jump in at a moments notice.

Admittedly some of our lack of options this season has been down to injuries, but the 2010/11 squad seemed to have more weapons outside of their best 11 than the current crop.

I'd consider giving you Cantwell Vs Martin (and maybe even Ruddy Vs Krul as an equal) but not the others. Skipp and McLean in my opinion are a lot better than Crofts and Fox. I agree about the squad game and I rated Surman very highly but the others were average, at best (admittedly Jacksons purple patch happened at precisely the time it needed to).

I think Zimmerman, Quintilla, Rupp, Vrancic, Dowell, Placheta, Sorensen, Hernandez, Hugill, Martin, Idah are exceptional backup at this level and only Surman of the squad you mentioned would stand a chance of getting in this team.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

~RS~q~RS~~RS~z~RS~13~RS~
  • 1 Ruddy
  • 02 R Martin
  • 03 Drury
  • 20 Barnett
  • 22 Ward
  • 07 Crofts
  • 12 Lansbury
  • 14 Hoolahan
  • 15 Fox
  • 09 Holt
  • 16 C Martin

Must have been some paper round you were on  Cambridgeo, for it to last untill 5pm!👍😉😇

31 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I'd consider giving you Cantwell Vs Martin (and maybe even Ruddy Vs Krul as an equal) but not the others. Skipp and McLean in my opinion are a lot better than Crofts and Fox. I agree about the squad game and I rated Surman very highly but the others were average, at best (admittedly Jacksons purple patch happened at precisely the time it needed to).

I think Zimmerman, Quintilla, Rupp, Vrancic, Dowell, Placheta, Sorensen, Hernandez, Hugill, Martin, Idah are exceptional backup at this level and only Surman of the squad you mentioned would stand a chance of getting in this team.

I think you're right, and whilst I understand exactly what @canarydan23 is saying, I reckon if you asked the same 5 games ago he might say different about our bench options.

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Lansbury has always been a solid Championship midfielder, getting on a bit now but I'm sure he could still do the job here.

.. Would like to know his are secrets mind as he seems to have reverse aged.. 🤔

norwich.png

Looks like an illustration for an article about lock down hair styles.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

Ruddy < Krul

Martin < Aarons

Drury > Giannoulis

Barnet < Hanley

Ward < Gibson

Crofts < Skipp

Fox < McLean

Lansbury < Buendia

Martin < Cantwell

I hope you're just premature about Giannoullis. Early days yet, and his career up to now would suggest he will bring extra quality to us once he beds in.

14 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I hope you're just premature about Giannoullis. Early days yet, and his career up to now would suggest he will bring extra quality to us once he beds in.

I'd argue it would need to be a lot of extra quality to be better than Drury, who was comfortably Premier League quality most of his career.

45 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I think you're right, and whilst I understand exactly what @canarydan23 is saying, I reckon if you asked the same 5 games ago he might say different about our bench options.

For sure I would have done.

And then I saw them play.

1 hour ago, All the Germans said:

13 goals in 39 appearances, of which 19 of them were off the bench is absolutely not average. His goals to minutes was probably not that far off Grant Holt that season.

And I think people are forgetting just how good Crofts was. Not only did he do the defensive work brilliantly, he was also a massive danger at the other end of the field as well and scored some important, point-winning goals. Yes, Skipp is better defensively and is undoubtedly playing in a more defensive role than Crofts, who from memory traditionally played on the right of the diamond, but Crofts contribution further up the field edges it for me. He was brilliant for us that season. Wasn't he runner-up in the player of the season that year, second only to Grant Holt (could well be wrong but it rings a bell).

Another thing I suspect you've done is measured Pukki's overall contribution in a Norwich shirt against Grant Holt and on that I would agree you can't split them. But the current 2020/21 version of Pukki is not equal the Grant Holt of 2010/11. I hope and expect that that will change as the season progresses, but that's the way it is right now.

Don't get me wrong, I think this season's best 11 would had maybe have edged it against the class of 10/11, based on a much more solid defence (but then I don't think that this year's defence has yet this season gone up against something as effective and deadly as the Holt, Hoolahan, Martin axis or a Simeon Jackson in a purple patch).

As for which overall squad was the strongest, I'll let the league table decide. If we finish better than four points off top and, more importantly, four points of third, then 2020/21 wins.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, canarydan23 said:

For sure I would have done.

And then I saw them play.

That's kind of the point. The majority of our 'game changing' sub bench have been coming back from injury lay-offs and they've not really had a chance to show what they can do to a full extent as of yet.

3 minutes ago, hogesar said:

That's kind of the point. The majority of our 'game changing' sub bench have been coming back from injury lay-offs and they've not really had a chance to show what they can do to a full extent as of yet.

That's true, but I'm going to base my opinion on how a player has played so far on....how they have played so far.

I hope it changes, but at the moment the likes of Placheta, Dowell, Rupp and played as a number 10 Vrancic are not providing the depth needed nor performing well enough to put sufficient pressure on those considered nailed on starters.

It may well be they haven't had enough minutes on the pitch to show what they can do to a full extent. But based on the minutes they have had on the pitch (bar Rupp's decent three game streak before his injury), that's the opinion I've formed. If they improve then my opinion will change and I hope it does. I've never been one of those fans who detest a player after some bad performances and then get angry when they start to play well and try and make out they've been poor. Those types of fans are probably as annoying as the ones who think criticism of players is evil and our manager is infallible.

11 minutes ago, canarydan23 said:

That's true, but I'm going to base my opinion on how a player has played so far on....how they have played so far.

I hope it changes, but at the moment the likes of Placheta, Dowell, Rupp and played as a number 10 Vrancic are not providing the depth needed nor performing well enough to put sufficient pressure on those considered nailed on starters.

It may well be they haven't had enough minutes on the pitch to show what they can do to a full extent. But based on the minutes they have had on the pitch (bar Rupp's decent three game streak before his injury), that's the opinion I've formed. If they improve then my opinion will change and I hope it does. I've never been one of those fans who detest a player after some bad performances and then get angry when they start to play well and try and make out they've been poor. Those types of fans are probably as annoying as the ones who think criticism of players is evil and our manager is infallible.

I'd like to see Dowell given a run of games at number 10, personally is something i'd do but I guess Farke wants to see more from him since his injury. 

I think Steipermann should be coming back into contention? Even if it's from the bench I think he's been a miss.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I'd like to see Dowell given a run of games at number 10, personally is something i'd do but I guess Farke wants to see more from him since his injury. 

I think Steipermann should be coming back into contention? Even if it's from the bench I think he's been a miss.

I think Dowell has potential and that he could come good. But that doesn't alter the fact that so far other than a good 45 minutes he has largely look poor. I think Stiepermann is one of those players who you notice more and realise his true value when he doesn't play. On the pitch he often looks awkward and misplaces easy passes and frustrates you as a watching fan, but despite that we somehow look worse when he's not playing.

I think it was a tougher league 2010/11 too, although they did have the luxury of playing Ipswich twice. 4 teams are now in the EPL.

For me the main difference is that side managed to survive there and played some fine football.

16 hours ago, Yorkshire Canary said:

We have been a good Championship side for the past decade with brief appearances in the PL. The squad of 10 years ago looks easily as good as the one we have today

I think the relative fates of these squads does serve to highlight the increased gap between the lower end of the Premier League and the top end of the Championship. This squad is easily as good if not better than the one under Lambert but was totally schooled in the Premier League. 

• Like 1