cambridgeshire canary

Todays injury updates- Placheta and Gibson out 2 weeks

3 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Well, 1 out of 3 isn't bad...

All 3 are great options for a championship club. They don't all have to be starters.

I haven't seen Hugill have a good game for us yet, in fact he's been about as effective as Stiepermann upfront, which is saying something.

The further away McLean is from the team the better, I think I'd rather give one of the youth players a chance over him tbh, and I'd certainly play ANY of our other central midfielders over him given the choice, and that also includes Trybull & Leitner...

31 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I haven't seen Hugill have a good game for us yet, in fact he's been about as effective as Stiepermann upfront, which is saying something.

The further away McLean is from the team the better, I think I'd rather give one of the youth players a chance over him tbh, and I'd certainly play ANY of our other central midfielders over him given the choice, and that also includes Trybull & Leitner...

Well thankfully you're not picking the team as you clearly know nothing about football and you had your eyes shut when Hugill played against Rotherham and Maclean against Brentford when those two players won us 3 points.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

It is a bit ridiculous being quite so open - it does seem counter-intuitive at times, such as Coventry who knew we had next to no one fit, could pretty much guess our lineup and take advantage of it (as they did).

Mr Webber and his first team coach are not daft! You are spot on. Any loss of points can then be blamed on the injury list and not the playing criteria.

11 hours ago, sgncfc said:

Well thankfully you're not picking the team as you clearly know nothing about football and you had your eyes shut when Hugill played against Rotherham and Maclean against Brentford when those two players won us 3 points.

He's nearly right and Hugill has generally failed to impress.

His Rotherham goal was a last minute penalty. Well taken, but still only sufficient to give him only 15% in the Man of the Match poll the PinkUn conducts.

As regular spectators of the game we all likely know something about football? It may not be much and may not be enough to pick the team for sure, but it's something. I always dislike that superficial insult whenever it is used to make a point. 

13 hours ago, sgncfc said:

I'm not sure saying scoring a penalty and a hugely flukey deflected shot from 25 yards means they played well. 

I think @Indy_Bones is very harsh on McLean (he's not a starter but he's a valuable squad player at this level) but Hugill has offered very little every time I've seen him play.

In a way Zim's not a bad back up option, but he hasn't looked at his best when coming off the bench lately. Hopefully with proper preparation for a start he'll be more solid. Think he and Hanley both prefer RCB, so will be interesting to see which way round they go.

2 minutes ago, Fr. Chewy Louie said:

In a way Zim's not a bad back up option, but he hasn't looked at his best when coming off the bench lately. Hopefully with proper preparation for a start he'll be more solid. Think he and Hanley both prefer RCB, so will be interesting to see which way round they go.

I like Zimbo but he's the weakest of our three central defenders in my opinion. Gibson is a step up from him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I'm not sure saying scoring a penalty and a hugely flukey deflected shot from 25 yards means they played well. 

I think @Indy_Bones is very harsh on McLean (he's not a starter but he's a valuable squad player at this level) but Hugill has offered very little every time I've seen him play.

Mclean certainly has a lot to offer and will start some games this season. He's a goal threat and he carries the ball well. He has his weaknesses and with Rupp's form deservedly lost his place but he'll still be important to us and @Indy_Bones has doubled down on his silly Mclean vendetta.

I also don't tihnk Hugill has shown much this season but we shouldn't underestimate simply having another striker available - he looked better than Stiepermann upfront.

Maclean would always be in the side or on the bench in my team. He was one of our better players last season. Rupp is keeping him out due to his quality.

Edited by The Bristol Nest

20 minutes ago, king canary said:

I like Zimbo but he's the weakest of our three central defenders in my opinion. Gibson is a step up from him. 

In Zimbo we have a proven championship winning centre back. Gibson too, of course, but to describe Zimbo as the weakest is a bit harsh imo. Zimbo is a giant character on the pitch too as well as a good passer of the ball.  I would describe all three of the centre backs as pretty much equal and whichever gets in the team will be hard to shift if we continue to get results. 

• Like 1

"I also don't tihnk Hugill has shown much this season but we shouldn't underestimate simply having another striker available - he looked better than Stiepermann upfront."

For a fee which "could cost £5m" (Wiki) and which is half  of what West Ham reportedly paid for him he clearly should be a much better option than the misplaced Stiepermann.

We must pray that Hugill eventually shows at least some of the form he showed last season at QPR when he scored approximately 1 in 3. This would make him the creditable back-up/sub that Jordan Rhodes became.

6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

In Zimbo we have a proven championship winning centre back. Gibson too, of course, but to describe Zimbo as the weakest is a bit harsh imo. Zimbo is a giant character on the pitch too as well as a good passer of the ball.  I would describe all three of the centre backs as pretty much equal and whichever gets in the team will be hard to shift if we continue to get results. 

I'm not getting this sudden downgrading of Zimbo. He even got a slight hammering on that Talk Norwich (?) blog that I watched on YouTube this am.

He's so often been a hero in the past ... especially, as you say, when we last won promotion.

Apparently he hasn't convinced when coming on as a late substitute when City have been up against it and after returning from a long injury.

I am inclined to think he'll have a stormer tonight ... that's his way.

As for comparisons? I seem to remember Hanley being toast not so long ago.

14 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

I'm not getting this sudden downgrading of Zimbo. He even got a slight hammering on that Talk Norwich (?) blog that I watched on YouTube this am.

He's so often been a hero in the past ... especially, as you say, when we last won promotion.

Apparently he hasn't convinced when coming on as a late substitute when City have been up against it and after returning from a long injury.

I am inclined to think he'll have a stormer tonight ... that's his way.

As for comparisons? I seem to remember Hanley being toast not so long ago.

Saying Zimmerman is the weakest of our three central defenders doesn't mean he's bad- just that I rate the other two higher.

He's a solid defender at this level, comfortable on the ball and in the air. However I think Gibson's added mobility puts him a step above Zimmerman and I'd be much more confident in Gibson being able to step up in the Premier League than Zimmerman, who I felt struggled last season.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Mclean certainly has a lot to offer and will start some games this season. He's a goal threat and he carries the ball well. He has his weaknesses and with Rupp's form deservedly lost his place but he'll still be important to us and @Indy_Bones has doubled down on his silly Mclean vendetta.

I also don't tihnk Hugill has shown much this season but we shouldn't underestimate simply having another striker available - he looked better than Stiepermann upfront.

Yes but as Broadstairs says, being better than an out of position Stiepermann is a pretty low bar to clear.

He's here, he's part of the squad and hopefully he improves. I very much doubt he'll be here next season though.

I don't for a moment think we would, but could we technically recall Klose? He's on a season long loan right? But then someone said earlier in the thread (sorry, I forget) that they can still be recalled.

6 minutes ago, Canarywary said:

I don't for a moment think we would, but could we technically recall Klose? He's on a season long loan right? But then someone said earlier in the thread (sorry, I forget) that they can still be recalled.

I think the rules are different for international loans which means recalls aren't possible but I may be wrong.

5 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

He's nearly right and Hugill has generally failed to impress.

His Rotherham goal was a last minute penalty. Well taken, but still only sufficient to give him only 15% in the Man of the Match poll the PinkUn conducts.

As regular spectators of the game we all likely know something about football? It may not be much and may not be enough to pick the team for sure, but it's something. I always dislike that superficial insult whenever it is used to make a point. 

Thanks for your insight but there was nothing superficial about the insult; it was particularly blatant and obvious. It's a messageboard so we all have opinions. You are free to dislike whatever you want, doesn't make it any more valid. But if you're judging someone's performance by the level of MOM votes rather than your own eyes that probably says more about you than I can.

22 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Thanks for your insight but there was nothing superficial about the insult; it was particularly blatant and obvious. It's a messageboard so we all have opinions. You are free to dislike whatever you want, doesn't make it any more valid. But if you're judging someone's performance by the level of MOM votes rather than your own eyes that probably says more about you than I can.

Get you.

And you do seem to like dishing out the personal snipes it seems.

Perhaps those who voted in that poll also know "nothing about football" in your esteemed opinion, they have eyes as well.

I'm not sure yet whether to assess that muddled little tirade as either weird logic or idiot logic. 

Edited by BroadstairsR

1 hour ago, king canary said:

Yes but as Broadstairs says, being better than an out of position Stiepermann is a pretty low bar to clear.

He's here, he's part of the squad and hopefully he improves. I very much doubt he'll be here next season though.

I understand that bar is low but we have no real alternatives at the moment so him being back is a bonus.

I also think it's far too early in terms of his game time to call if he'll be here next season. For my money he will be

5 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I understand that bar is low but we have no real alternatives at the moment so him being back is a bonus.

I also think it's far too early in terms of his game time to call if he'll be here next season. For my money he will be

It's fairly certain that he will be if we fail to go up. He could well come good once settled like Ewan Roberts did .... Err? Nearly as good then. 

As for him being PL standard. West Ham soon got shot despite forking out so much and despite not even giving him much of a chance to prove himself.

Edited by BroadstairsR

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

I’d hardly call Kenny a goal threat, not a bad player but nothing special either.

I think the worrying thing here is that we are down to the absolute bare bones now.  That is only going to further increase the risk of injury to the players who are having to play 90 minutes twice a week.  The argument about whether we should bring on the youngsters on as subs may soon be irrelevant because we could easily find ourselves having to start them. 

Edited by seanthecanary

34 minutes ago, BroadstairsR said:

It's fairly certain that he will be if we fail to go up. He could well come good once settled like Ewan Roberts did .... Err? Nearly as good then. 

As for him being PL standard. West Ham soon got shot despite forking out so much and despite not even giving him much of a chance to prove himself.

Yeah if we do go back up I can't see Hugill playing for us next season. Stay down maybe he's still here.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’d hardly call Kenny a goal threat, not a bad player but nothing special either.

3 goals and 6 assists  in 15 starts in this league last time out. From a midfielder who wasn't playing in one of the advanced positions.

23 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I've asked before and I'll ask again. Why are we telling the opposition about our injuries a day in advance? 

I also don't understand this. OK, yes, us City fans would like to know the team news (though in the current times when we're not attending, it's not as if there's any rationale that you need to keep potential ticket-buyers appraised of who might be playing, in case that drums up more sales), but who else is bothered? It's not like the media (with the exception of the EDP and Michael Bailey) are slavishly covering Farke's every word at a mid-week Championship press conference.

Is there, I wonder, some kind of contractual league requirement to hold a conference before every game? Even so, we could just be vague about who might play, like many other teams are, in order to keep opposition managers guessing. We're always told that football at this level is about marginal gains so I'm with Dylan in that I can't understand why we give the opposition advance notice of our positional problems. It seems ridiculous, because I'm sure that most fans would understand if the first inkling they had of any injuries was when the teams were announced 30 mins before kick-off...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hogesar said:

3 goals and 6 assists  in 15 starts in this league last time out. From a midfielder who wasn't playing in one of the advanced positions.

Or 5 goals in nearly 70 appearances. Not many on here are getting over excited about his return to a starting eleven.
Good attempt at spinning there though with stats. 

On 08/12/2020 at 16:59, dylanisabaddog said:

I've asked before and I'll ask again. Why are we telling the opposition about our injuries a day in advance? 

There you go Dylan, Mr Farke wasn't telling the whole truth about the injury situation 😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Or 5 goals in nearly 70 appearances. Not many on here are getting over excited about his return to a starting eleven.
Good attempt at spinning there though with stats. 

I'm looking at his last season with us in the same division which is shockingly more relevant than his ability in the league above.

Good attempts at spinning there though with stats. Why aren't we Sheffield United?