Greavsy

Who do (did) you sit near at the football

Just had a quick read of the replies. This one has made me smile. Binners being called out by their own for their lack of history! 

22 minutes ago, Greavsy said:

Just had a quick read of the replies. This one has made me smile. Binners being called out by their own for their lack of history! 

Christ, he's been going so long he might have seen them beat us..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I remember going to one of my first matchs at Carrow road when John Hartson was playing for us.

He looked quite big even to me as a 12 year old then. Anyway, I remember him getting loads of stick and for whatever reason when he was near the half way line he fell over in a heap. Bloke behind me shouted "that fat f*** Hartson just found a smartie!". Still makes me smile to this day

Other than the friend I go with, I have a nutter who hated Ruddy because he didn't turn around and talk to him during a match. Lower Barclay, and each match Ruddy would clap us. 2 minutes later and he would be all "Give us a wave Ruddy!". John would understandably ignore this as a game was being played. 

It would be followed by "FFS YOURE SO FXKING GRUMPY RUDDY". In some form of protest, when Rudd got given the shirt ahead of John by Alex Neil, he removed the Y from his pink Ruddy shirt. He was smitten. 

Then it turned out Rudd wasn't much good and also wasn't the best in-game waver and the shirt disappeared.

My wife and I sit in the Barclay upper next to a couple of really nice women older than us. They watch the game with 1 headphone in each, listening to Radio Norfolk. Smart move.

They update us if there's anything contentious on the pitch or with anything we happen to miss. They're really nice and took a keen interest in my wife's pregnancy, then when she wasn't there one week they got super excited that the baby might be arriving soon. Just kind of a nice thing really.

The other side of us is a couple similar age to us and they seem spot on whenever we chat.

Then we come to the set of 3 absolute madmen a couple of rows behind us. All they do is moan. No matter what's going on in the game. They are also extremely clueless. They have no knowledge of who is playing or in what position etc.

I mean my wife knows her stuff now, but learned only a few games into coming that she can kind of attribute shirt numbers to players. These guys were supposedly there long before us and still have no idea. They just love a good moan!

A personal favourite of mine was them F-ing and blinding at something sh*t that Kenny did a couple of seasons ago. It was Trybull.

I can block that kind of spectator out. But it's the repetitiveness that can be little dull though.

One just constantly moans 'Nooooo, you can't do that' - over and over.

Another says 'Ere it come' whenever ANY opposition player gets near our area.

Between them they like Max Aarons. And that is honestly it. I don't know why they pay to go, I cannot figure it out.

However, my wife, the other couple, the ladies and I do find it all very amusing most of the time, there are frequent side-eye smirks.

Honestly, I've suspected at least half the members on this forum of being the moaning guys behind us at some point 😉

EDIT: Sorry, didn't realise how much I had rambled on!

Edited by Flying Dutchman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I sit in the Upper Barclay , with a couple of very knowledgeable mates. In front of us all we can see is a few people, whom we cannot hear what they are saying, but they seem to enjoy the game as they are always smiling.

Two blokes along from me, come in late obviously been in the pub, sat for ten minutes then need to pee. Leave ten minutes before half-time to get a drink, come back late. After ten minutes guess what, need to pee. Come back, by now the alcohol has really kicked in, f ing and blinding, then need to pee again.  Guess what time they leave - five minutes before the end ‘’ to beat the rush in the pub “ 

Rough estimate they watch about 35 minutes of the 90, very expensive season tickets

• Like 1

I sit right at the back of the lower Barclay with people I'd never met before but now know pretty damn well. I have had a few bust ups with the people in front of me (most memorably when they were booing the team and "FARKE OUT" stuff was spilling out of their mouths. This was in our championship winning year, at the start 🙄) I didn't much like those guys to start with but I think they're ok. And I used to probably be a bit more of a pain when I first started going cuz I didn't realise I needed glasses at that point and often got players mixed up 😂 That doesn't happen now!

Anyway. The point is, the people sitting on my row are all very different from one another and from me (or my outlook on life) yet I get on with them all. There's a bond formed by footie that you can't really replicate elsewhere. 

For example, I used to sit next to a lady called Helen and she unfortunately passed away from cancer a couple years back. I didn't know to begin with and it was hugely sad when I found out. Her daughter still sits near me, you see. Although her and I disagreed on things now and then, we still formed that bond. And now I miss her. 

Also, special shout out to my northern neighbour who sits next to me (you know who you are if you're reading this!) He always likes to despair that the opposing team will score every time they have a decent attack 😂 Then, if they do score, he goes "TOLD YA! TOLD YA!" And I always think, "yeah if you say they're gonna score every attack you may be lucky and get one right. Even a stopped clock is right twice a day" 😂

I miss it terribly.

13 hours ago, Flying Dutchman said:

Another says 'Ere it come' whenever ANY opposition player gets near our area.

Oh don't even go there. Every time a team attacks towards our box, some guy to the left of me, in total 100% confidence, states "goal" so everyone can hear him. Of course, he's wrong 99/100 times but the one time he's correct he then follows up with "See, I could tell that was coming a mile off".

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Oh don't even go there. Every time a team attacks towards our box, some guy to the left of me, in total 100% confidence, states "goal" so everyone can hear him. Of course, he's wrong 99/100 times but the one time he's correct he then follows up with "See, I could tell that was coming a mile off".

Sounds like you either sit near me or there are lots of folk who do this 😂

• Haha 1

Going back a long time, I think even to when the South Standing was still standing, there was one fan off to the right of where I was who every so often would intone in a quite a quiet, gruff voice: 'Keep going forward, Norwich.' I never got to see who he was. Heavens knows, if he is still alive, what he would make of the frequent backwards passing movements that return the ball to Krul's feet.

Upper river end every game a bell end in the middle of our row arrives at his seat 5 mins after kick off and leaves 5 mins before half time 

same in the second half really boils my p1ss 

I sat near to a Palace supporter at Selhurst once whose knowledge of East Anglia and it's whiches was somewhat confused and who seemed convinced we were Ipswich.

"That f-cking Ipswich always play dirty."

"That f-cking Ipswich always beat us," (when Mark Robbins scored.)

It was around Christmas time,  so over imbibing might have been involved.

It wasn't so bad at the time. Nowadays it would be a massive insult.

Edited by BroadstairsR

3 hours ago, Uncle Fred said:

really boils my p1ss 

As usual, I hope it was uncomfortable. ....and burnt your mouth when you drank it.👍😉😇

• Haha 1