Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Does anyone not remember two years ago?

Just now, nutty nigel said:

What's lockdown got to do with anything?

Well we've never played a decent game since so it must have had something to do with everything

Just now, Making Plans said:

Well we've never played a decent game since so it must have had something to do with everything

Well it had nothing to do with my post

I take the point but it feels a bit different to 2 years ago.

Firstly we werent favourites to go up.

Secondly we weren't picking up points mainly due to silly individual errors defensively- this time the only win we've picked up has been due to the opposition making a similar error whole we struggle to break teams down.

Third, our poor opening run included losses to the teams who eventually finished 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Outside of Bournemouth I dont see any of the teams we've faced so far as top 6 material.

If it gives some false comfort then fine, but with respect it is irrelevant and a bit naive to point to two years ago or any other historical instane. The context now is entirely different - a team shot of any confidence; a terrible run of form over a sustained period; a clueless manager bereft of ideas and in my opinion who no longer commands the respect of some in the dressing room; a number of better players clearly unsettled and agitating for a move (and the impact this has on the wider dressing room) etc etc ...... 

Something is very rotten at the moment.

I don’t think I agree that he has lost the dressing room, there was no lack of effort over the last couple of weeks.

its all about the context quite simply, 2 years ago we beat a boro side expected to be at the top and it have us some belief, this time we lost to a pretty awful Derby team. Did we play that badly? No not really, on another occasion we win that comfortably but somehow we need to get some wins on the board before this death spiral becomes terminal.

I think there were flickers off life today, I think we need to persevere for a few weeks and hope that momentum turns, if we are still struggling after 10 games then we need to have a good look at whether we think we can still turn it around. I think I’m going to go all LDC and say we will win 5 of the next 6 

4 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah, sorry, four points from four games.....still the same situation.

The season hasn't really got going yet.

First law of lecturing Lakey. Get the facts  right . 

I think Ben Gibson said the most intelligent thing I've read about yesterday's game so far:

“You can’t take away the result but if you look at the performance, one moment of quality - maybe the penalty goes in - and we’re stood here getting all kinds of superlatives. So it’s very easy to overreact in football, to be too high when we pop a team off the park and win 2-0, and I’d say the same on the other foot, we don’t get too low because we’ve lost. We dominated from start to finish, one moment of quality from Wayne Rooney and we didn’t quite muster that up ourselves."

Surely any objective assessment of the Bournemouth and Derby games can not support the view that the team lacks confidence as they have dominated both of them. The high quality of passing and movement is still very evident (e.g. the movement that lead to the penalty), and there is certainly no lack of effort (the stats just don't support an alternative view). However, I do agree with some of the posters that Farke does need to think about starting Hugill up front. The consistent high quality of crossing into the box from Quintilla is not something we have had before under Farke's reign, and it just cries out for a more traditional centre-forward good with his head. I would also love to see Pukki given the number 10 spot behind Hugill as I can envision Hugill's physical presence creating the space that is currently being denied to him. Indeed I think both players would benefit from the others presence.

Now is not the time to polish the pitchforks; the evidence from our actual performances does not support the view that this is a team in disarray. And I think this is all that LDC is pointing to in his comparison with 2 seasons ago, as just like then there were premature ejaculations calling for Farke's removal. Of course, nothing guarantees that we will follow a similar trajectory to that season, but surely the memory of that time would suggest that at this stage what is called for is a calm and considered analysis of why we haven't been able to turn 2 good performances into victories.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think Ben Gibson said the most intelligent thing I've read about yesterday's game so far:

“You can’t take away the result but if you look at the performance, one moment of quality - maybe the penalty goes in - and we’re stood here getting all kinds of superlatives. So it’s very easy to overreact in football, to be too high when we pop a team off the park and win 2-0, and I’d say the same on the other foot, we don’t get too low because we’ve lost. We dominated from start to finish, one moment of quality from Wayne Rooney and we didn’t quite muster that up ourselves."

Surely any objective assessment of the Bournemouth and Derby games can not support the view that the team lacks confidence as they have dominated both of them. The high quality of passing and movement is still very evident (e.g. the movement that lead to the penalty), and there is certainly no lack of effort (the stats just don't support an alternative view). However, I do agree with some of the posters that Farke does need to think about starting Hugill up front. The consistent high quality of crossing into the box from Quintilla is not something we have had before under Farke's reign, and it just cries out for a more traditional centre-forward good with his head. I would also love to see Pukki given the number 10 spot behind Hugill as I can envision Hugill's physical presence creating the space that is currently being denied to him. Indeed I think both players would benefit from the others presence.

Now is not the time to polish the pitchforks; the evidence from our actual performances does not support the view that this is a team in disarray. And I think this is all that LDC is pointing to in his comparison with 2 seasons ago, as just like then there were premature ejaculations calling for Farke's removal. Of course, nothing guarantees that we will follow a similar trajectory to that season, but surely the memory of that time would suggest that at this stage what is called for is a calm and considered analysis of why we haven't been able to turn 2 good performances into victories.

Pretty much my thoughts completely too.

I think Hugill deserves a run of games to settle in, I have no problem with Pukki playing behind him, it may give him a bit of a new lease of life and some confidence back. We know what he is capable of, he just needs to recover his confidence and he could be away again.

Buendia plus Hernandez or Placheta to make up the front four with Quintilla and Aarons given their normal licence to get forward at every opportunity. Rupp and Skipp make up the rest of the midfield (thought both played well yesterday). Stiepermann, Idah and the other winger all on the bench alongside Tettey and a centre-half.  Pick and choose your starting centre-halfs depending on form/injuries.

That is what I would like to see as our "core" matchday squad at the moment..  

25 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I think quite a few of us are seeing Pukki as a creator as much as a scorer. He was inches away from giving Onel a tap in yesterday; by nature I think he would enjoy a more unselfish role rather than that of an out-&-out striker.

Edited by ron obvious

19 hours ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Does anyone remember our last home win

Just saying

19 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Beat the Royal Engineers 2.1 . 

Are you sure ?

I thought it was that 1-0 reverse against the Corithian Casuals when we missed that pen even though the Casuals goalie stood to one side 😉

27 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Are you sure ?

I thought it was that 1-0 reverse against the Corithian Casuals when we missed that pen even though the Casuals goalie stood to one side 😉

It’s along time ago but I have it on tape somewhere. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, ron obvious said:

This board seems to be divided between those who say results are paramount & those who say performances matter most.

At this stage in the season I'd say the latter. Today's performance wasn't dire, but there are obviously problems to fix. Let's see if Daniel can fix them by Christmas - plenty of time to launch an assault on the top 6 from thereon.

If Pukki had scored the penalty and Aarons had buried his chance (both of which should gave happened) we would have been hailing a much improved performance and  some positive signs. And if Krul had done his homework, Rooney wouldn't have scored. At this stage of the season, coaches look at performance, supporters look at results. 

It's clear that we really suffer from the lack of fans but Gibson showed enough to know that we won't miss Godfrey, and so far we haven't missed Lewis. Even without Cantwell, we still created 4 or 5 very decent chances and should have won the game comfortably.

Everyone needs to stop panicking.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

If Pukki had scored the penalty and Aarons had buried his chance (both of which should gave happened) we would have been hailing a much improved performance and  some positive signs. And if Krul had done his homework, Rooney wouldn't have scored. At this stage of the season, coaches look at performance, supporters look at results. 

It's clear that we really suffer from the lack of fans but Gibson showed enough to know that we won't miss Godfrey, and so far we haven't missed Lewis. Even without Cantwell, we still created 4 or 5 very decent chances and should have won the game comfortably.

Everyone needs to stop panicking.

Great post. 

6 hours ago, horsefly said:

Correct.