Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Does anyone not remember two years ago?

10 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

If people think Lakey's optimism is misplaced then surely the pessimism is also misplaced.

Without positive or negative spin it's 4 points from 4 games with 42 to play.

Hi Nutty,

While I do have some concerns and issues with how the team have performed in the first few games, I share your view that there is a long, long way to go. As ever, the Championship is a Marathon, not a Snickers bar. Defense looks solid, need to sort out the top half asap.

OTBC

2 minutes ago, ricardo said:

A point a game for safety

or two points a game for promotion😁

Well if we're safe already I think I'll take that after 2 hours of going to hell in a handcart🙃

1 minute ago, Capt. Pants said:

Farkes 1st season dull boring football, start of 2nd season slow and people wanted Farke out because of season 1. 2nd season obviously was magnificent in the end. 3rd season good in places but largely crap and the end was the most humiliating I've seen as my time as a City supporter with Farke clearly out of his depth. Season 4; slow start with dull boring football, unrest in the camp and a Coach making the wrong tactical decisions. It's either brilliant or crap under Farke, never middle ground. Too many negatives for me and it's a slog watching Norwich nowadays.

I think the flipside of this is also worthy of consideration, though.

First season: trying to implement his style of football through a large amount of player churn.

Second season: footballing philosophy embedded; slow start while new players bed in, then walk to the title, losing just 2 of their last 34 games.

Third season: not given any backing in the transfer market, ridiculous injury crisis early in the season. Utterly abject after the restart.

Fourth season: uncertainty around transfer window, bedding in new signings, then...?

We've never started a season well under Farke, arguably the best start was in the PL last season. I'm not saying Farke should be given carte blanche and that I believe we'll necessarily come good and go back up, but it's waaaaay too early to write this season off. Unless we totally fall apart over the coming weeks, I think we need a couple of months to see if there's forward progress. If it's one step forward, one step backwards, maybe it's time to roll the dice.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:

Hi Nutty,

While I do have some concerns and issues with how the team have performed in the first few games, I share your view that there is a long, long way to go. As ever, the Championship is a Marathon, not a Snickers bar. Defense looks solid, need to sort out the top half asap.

OTBC

G'day Disco

It's difficult to judge watching football on streams. But we do seem look more solid defensively. We haven't really experimented with our different forward options.

Farke has a habit of getting it right after an international break. Even to the point of beating Man Citeh. With the window shut the team he plays and performance at Rotherham may be a better pointer than these 4 games in difficult circumstances.

1 minute ago, nutty nigel said:

G'day Disco

It's difficult to judge watching football on streams. But we do seem look more solid defensively. We haven't really experimented with our different forward options.

Farke has a habit of getting it right after an international break. Even to the point of beating Man Citeh. With the window shut the team he plays and performance at Rotherham may be a better pointer than these 4 games in difficult circumstances.

Decent spinning attempt to be fair. 

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Farkes 1st season dull boring football, start of 2nd season slow and people wanted Farke out because of season 1. 2nd season obviously was magnificent in the end. 3rd season good in places but largely crap and the end was the most humiliating I've seen as my time as a City supporter with Farke clearly out of his depth. Season 4; slow start with dull boring football, unrest in the camp and a Coach making the wrong tactical decisions. It's either brilliant or crap under Farke, never middle ground. Too many negatives for me and it's a slog watching Norwich nowadays.

100% this, and as your time frame shows it's more often than not negative. 

I'll always like Farke for one of the best seasons I've ever seen for us, so I won't go down the road of abusing the man, but he's a busted flush with us now, and not wanting to see fans turn to the extent we have with previous managers is why I think it's best for both parties to part ways now. 

8 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

With the window shut the team he plays and performance at Rotherham may be a better pointer than these 4 games in difficult circumstances.

What difficult circumstances are you reffering to other than the self inflicted ones?

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah, sorry, four points from four games.....still the same situation.

The season hasn't really got going yet.

We’re a third better off this season than at the same stage then so just say yah-boo and sucks-to-you to all these pant wetters Lakey 😀😉

Edited by ......and Smith must score.
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

What difficult circumstances are you reffering to other than the self inflicted ones?

I was referring to the transfer window.

This is 2 years ago:

Which is absolutely NOT the way we're currently setup and approaching the game.

Either go back to this approach, or bring in someone else who will.

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’m searching and if I owe you I’ll pay you with pleasure. 

I don't remember it. I don't think either of us owes. But...

If it did happen it has to be sorted. Especially if it involves me.

Just now, nutty nigel said:

I don't remember it. I don't think either of us owes. But...

If it did happen it has to be sorted. Especially if it involves me.

Not a problem, either way the cause wins. 

2 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

It is a problem for me.

My long term memory is good, it’s a bet I think I’d lose. I will endeavour to find it now and pay the fine if necessary.

Edited by Midlands Yellow

This Lake District contributor seems anchored in the past. He ignores the fact that our club actually progressed exceptionally over the last few years. It is astonishing to suggest that we should enjoy the flukey good bits, then take a bit of disappointment on the chin and then celebrate the flukey next good bit from an armchair. If this is going to be a Premier League club then it is not going to thrive based on attitude that we have always had bad times but they eventually come good....for a season

3 minutes ago, NCFCInnit said:

This Lake District contributor seems anchored in the past. He ignores the fact that our club actually progressed exceptionally over the last few years. It is astonishing to suggest that we should enjoy the flukey good bits, then take a bit of disappointment on the chin and then celebrate the flukey next good bit from an armchair. If this is going to be a Premier League club then it is not going to thrive based on attitude that we have always had bad times but they eventually come good....for a season

On the contrary! Just an hour or so ago, he clearly said "the past doesn't matter".

However, the very next clause was: "you should never forget what has happened and try to learn from it".

I'm hoping for some clarification soon... 🙂

• Haha 1

Just now, Feedthewolf said:

On the contrary! Just an hour or so ago, he clearly said "the past doesn't matter".

However, the very next clause was: "you should never forget what has happened and try to learn from it".

I'm hoping for some clarification soon... 🙂

I did write a reply earlier but then thought there was no point in posting it, but as you have repeated it......the point is that the past does not matter in the sense that it affects what happens now, but the past does contain something you can learn from.  Hope that helps.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

I did write a reply earlier but then thought there was no point in posting it, but as you have repeated it......the point is that the past does not matter in the sense that it affects what happens now, but the past does contain something you can learn from.  Hope that helps.

So what you're saying is that in the immediate moment the past is not relevant, but it is possible to reflect upon it at leisure and use your learnings to inform future events?

2 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

So what you're saying is that in the immediate moment the past is not relevant, but it is possible to reflect upon it at leisure and use your learnings to inform future events?

Yeah, I guess that's another way of putting it.

• Sad 1

Just now, lake district canary said:

I agree with that. Let's leave it there, I'm not in the mood for a semantic argument... 😉

Just now, lake district canary said:

So the past IS relevant then?! 🤯

Baby Jesus be praised, you've seen the light! 🙏

You'll be going on a quest for fire next...careful with that beard though. 😉

OTBC

I genuinely feel we are at a crossroads here tonight. We might as LDC reminds us now go on a 19 game unbeaten run and eventually promotion. However the differences as I see it are: Expectation of the fans, dismal past form leading to this point, moral, and the opponents knowledge of our style of play. (We have become predictable). We can’t also expect a 30 goal season from Pukki. It not realistic or fair on the guy himself. 

So whilst yes there is still a road that leads that way it is a narrow, winding and a steeply up hill one.

The other road appears to many to be one where we all ready have one foot planted on the tarmac. Is rolls straight down hill and is very easy to find yourself racing down before you know it. 

the truth is we’re at this crossroads NOW in my view. We have to find the right road now or it a long way back. This very well could mean some tough decisions must be made very quickly. Farke may have to go, or he may have to quickly adapt and change his philosophy. 

which ever it is what I saw again today tells me we can simply continue to play the way we are because teams a poor as Derby will continue to pick us off!

1 hour ago, nutty nigel said:

I was referring to the transfer window.

Oh I see, you mean the transfer window that opened when we went into lockdown and our best players had nothing to do except think about their next move.

2 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

I genuinely feel we are at a crossroads here tonight. We might as LDC reminds us now go on a 19 game unbeaten run and eventually promotion. However the differences as I see it are: Expectation of the fans, dismal past form leading to this point, moral, and the opponents knowledge of our style of play. (We have become predictable). We can’t also expect a 30 goal season from Pukki. It not realistic or fair on the guy himself. 

So whilst yes there is still a road that leads that way it is a narrow, winding and a steeply up hill one.

The other road appears to many to be one where we all ready have one foot planted on the tarmac. Is rolls straight down hill and is very easy to find yourself racing down before you know it. 

the truth is we’re at this crossroads NOW in my view. We have to find the right road now or it a long way back. This very well could mean some tough decisions must be made very quickly. Farke may have to go, or he may have to quickly adapt and change his philosophy. 

which ever it is what I saw again today tells me we can simply continue to play the way we are because teams a poor as Derby will continue to pick us off!

This is a very restrained and fair post by your standards, HH!

On the one hand, I agree we've become a bit predictable and easy to defend against, and I think Farke will need to show a bit more flexibility in his tactics, or knit a few wins together (ideally both).

Even though you're one of the harshest critics on here (which I hope you will admit!), I do think we need to cut him a little bit of slack for the impact of this bloody transfer window. Plus it does always take a little while for new players to bed in - Quintilla looks very good, Gibson had a good debut I thought, Placheta and Skipp also look decent signings. Very unlucky to lose Dowell to long-term injury so quickly.

Now we have a two-week break to take stock, get some well-deserved rest (aside from the few on international duty), and be ready to go in two weeks. Rotherham, Birmingham and Wycombe coming up... no excuses, time to deliver some results. If we get seven or nine points from those three matches, we'll have a bit of momentum and finally begin to put the horrors of last season behind us.

Just now, Making Plans said:

Oh I see, you mean the transfer window that opened when we went into lockdown and our best players had nothing to do except think about their next move.

What's lockdown got to do with anything?