Sign in to follow this  
Thirsty Lizard

Jostling Mob of Morons

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

Indeed, some just want an argument and blame others who have taken proactive action. I doubt my half dozen tins of peas and 8 pints of milk have caused many empty shelves. Nor an extra packet of toilet rolls and a couple of bottles of handwash.

Sensible provision is exactly what it says and it is extremely foolish to ignore it.

Ah so a three week supply has gone down to two weeks supply and now to a half dozen tins of peas, some milk and hand wash.

It’s not about being hell bent on pinning anything on Ricardo. I’ve said in this thread I understand the reasons he personally might have wanted to put things together given his personal circumstances. But “if you’re in a high risk category it’s sensible to get some essentials in” is very different to what he has actually said. 

He has widely and openly criticised anyone who hasn’t stored up food, called them stupid for not preparing weeks ago, completely ignoring anybody else’s circumstances. He has failed to see that there are others who couldn’t for financial or other reasons have built things up over many weeks and actually storing more food than you need could be seriously impacting those others. 

It’s not just a Ricardo by any means. I had a bit of a ‘pop’ at someone on another thread last night (won’t drag them into it by name again here) because they were laughing at some one suggesting they were “bricking it” because of financial worries. Who cares about thousands of unemployed people who could have their lives ruined, so long as I’ve got my store cupboard nice and full. Unfortunately, too many people are far more concerned about themselves than others.

I shall this time actually leave it there, as me moaning at Ricardo is unlikely to achieve much. 

Edited by Aggy

Breaking news. The Punkun is not a national news source. That this was escalating was obvious to anyone following the news so absolutely nothing to do with anyone on here.

Building up essentials to cover a period of isolation if you are don’t have alternatives is fine. Panic buying is anti social and irresponsible unnecessary and irrational and encouraging it on social media is not acceptable.Advising  people to go against government advice is not good. Spreading the views of punters and you tubers is not good. Advising people to clean their mobile phones with harsh cleaners. is not good. Punters saying experts are wrong is not good. Making xenophobic , nationalistic and islamophobic comments is not good. The whole experts are wrong and they are right is not good. Advising people to act selfishly rather than think of other people is not good. Non of these attitudes are helpful ever and certainly not in the current period. 

Having read through this thread I can honestly say I've no idea how this has turned into an argument. 

Being aware of the chaos in Europe etc I did things like buy a 2kg bag of rice instead of the usual 500g last time I shopped. As a result of a little bit of planning and forethought I can safely say I don't have to resupply for 16 days of 3 meals- and I begrudge anyone who calls me a stockpiler. 

I hardly think Ricardo is sat on a Scrooge McDuck style pile of supplies cackling menacingly (neither am I). 

The issues with the current state in our nation's stores is a symptom of a much wider social problem than listening to the news.

News from my son in law who is a supermarket manager in Norfolk. People ignored the 1 hour curfew this morning for NHS staff and stormed past the poor supermarket staff. 

Britain is a **** hole. Hang your heads in shame 

3 minutes ago, Mason 47 said:

Having read through this thread I can honestly say I've no idea how this has turned into an argument. 

Being aware of the chaos in Europe etc I did things like buy a 2kg bag of rice instead of the usual 500g last time I shopped. As a result of a little bit of planning and forethought I can safely say I don't have to resupply for 16 days of 3 meals- and I begrudge anyone who calls me a stockpiler. 

I hardly think Ricardo is sat on a Scrooge McDuck style pile of supplies cackling menacingly (neither am I). 

The issues with the current state in our nation's stores is a symptom of a much wider social problem than listening to the news.

Extremely pleased to see you have taken action instead of waiting like sheep to be told what to do.

I have no issue with what Ricardo has done, it’s sensible to buy enough for a couple weeks like the big shop people used to do.

I did see my parents who aren’t in that bracket as both are fairly robust for their age, although I did cook them Mother’s Day Sunday lunch dropped it off and stayed at least 1.5 m away while I was round! but my mum made an interesting comment, she said only go back two generations and there weren’t no where near the same number of 70 + people as there are now, her nan & grandad died at 48 and 62 respectively, my Nan died at 58 and my grandad passed at 67. It then went into a full blown hour of reminiscing about all our relatives on both sides and just how lucky we are to say 70 + as most all old aunties and uncles of my mums never went passed 60’s. She worked out out of 15 relatives from both sides going back two generation only four passed 70.

Edited by Indy

8 hours ago, Aggy said:

Sorry but this is absolute utter nonsense. It isn’t caused by people being unprepared. Unprepared for what? Unprepared for .... being allowed to go to the shops?

How many tsunamis have you been in? You often don’t get any time to do anything. And as the tsunami hits, you can’t just swim down to your local for another loaf of bread as forty feet waves come crashing down on your home destroying everything in its path. Ridiculous and, frankly, slightly offensive nonsense Ricardo. You’ve been asked to stay in doors as much as possible for a few weeks and you’re allowed to nip to the shop (or order online) as and when you want. 

The panic buying is because too many people are spouting nonsense like this. If people realised that you’re still allowed to go to the shops, then they’d just be buying what you normally buy. What do you need three weeks of chips in your freezer for? Just go again on Tuesday, it’s really not difficult.

The only thing I wish I’d “prepared better” for was that I had to have a frozen fish finger sandwich on Wednesday night when I really fancied one of those fresh pepperoni pizzas they make in Sainsburys. I just wished they’d started the tsunami sirens weeks ago so I could have avoided this disaster...

p.s. I bought the frozen fish fingers on Wednesday, I hadn’t stockpiled them up months in advance.

pps. Replied to this before seeing fz’s similar response.

The NHS direction is that any family unit that has symptoms has to self-isolate for 14 days, and not to go out to buy food. Hence why most people who shop weekly are buying dried, tinned, frozen goods and extra meat to freeze to handle the second week of self-isolation.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-advice/

Yes there are plenty of crazies taking it too far, but when Matt Hancock was called out for talking **** by the supermarkets, people should have twigged that the government was making policy on the hoof, and didn't involve the supermarkets early enough.

Wow! This thread has really brought out the dog eat dog mentality. 

It is clear to me a sudden frenzied rush caused supply problems.  A herd mentality and human beings are voracious, avaricious creatures anyway. 

The issue is otherwise complex. People have different spend and time to buy opportunities. Others are shopping for others. Some people have large families. 

Yesterday my wife bought a sack of spuds which we couldn't eat so we have shared them with parents and elderly neighbours. A lot of people are doing that. I also have the advantage of being married to a competent and resourceful cook. How many people today really know how to be resourceful or cook from scratch? 

Ricardo calmly prepared, he flattened the demand curve in doing so, his experience led him and he tried to share it. His main intention was to be able to avoid the crowds now populating the supermarkets. 

We need to keep calm although the idiots presently using the emptier roads as race tracks for motor cycles and some cars is winding me up a tad. 

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

I have no issue with what Ricardo has done, it’s sensible to buy enough for a couple weeks like the big shop people used to do.

I did see my parents who aren’t in that bracket as both are fairly robust for their age, although I did cook them Mother’s Day Sunday lunch dropped it off and stayed at least 1.5 m away while I was round! but my mum made an interesting comment, she said only go back two generations and there weren’t no where near the same number of 70 + people as there are now, her nan & grandad died at 48 and 62 respectively, my Nan died at 58 and my grandad passed at 67. It then went into a full blown hour of reminiscing about all our relatives on both sides and just how lucky we are to say 70 + as most all old aunties and uncles of my mums never went passed 60’s. She worked out out of 15 relatives from both sides going back two generation only four passed 70.

We were booked to go out for Mothers Day lunch but obviously it had to be cancelled. My lovely daughter brought it round in cardboard boxes.

Very nice🍴

34 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Thanks for the support Alex.

From what I have just heard from the PM if fear I may be one of those who have to stay in for 12 weeks. Not a very pleasant prospect but what can you do.

Did he text or phone you ? 

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

We were booked to go out for Mothers Day lunch but obviously it had to be cancelled. My lovely daughter brought it round in cardboard boxes.

Very nice🍴

😂 That’s what we did, we had arranged for both sets of parents to come round, but instead dropped off meals on wheels style! 

We’re doing food every Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday so they have days off cooking, also this gives us 1 hour social time with them, each time we visit, at distance.

Edited by Indy

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

Did he text or phone you ? 

Did you watch the 5pm news.

Some will be getting letters by Tuesday.

Just now, ricardo said:

Did you watch the 5pm news.

Some will be getting letters by Tuesday.

I’m busting a gut at work, might be perfect timing for the season finale.

There is a list of people who will need to self isolate on the nhs web site and has been for a while. I still recommend getting your info from the nhs rather than you tubers. 

So no explanation then  just race based offensive comments. Germany has over 4x the ICU capacity of the UK so I’m not sure you are in a great position to criticise Germany. Just look at their death rates compared to the UK. 

• Like 1

Who is at high risk?

You may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant
  • are having certain types of cancer treatment
  • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
  • have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
  • have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
  • are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
  • are pregnant and have a serious heart condition

I am in remission but I am fairly sure that No 3 means me.😟

Edited by ricardo

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Who is at high risk?

You may be at high risk from coronavirus if you:

• have had an organ transplant
  • are having certain types of cancer treatment
  • have blood or bone marrow cancer, such as leukaemia
  • have a severe lung condition, such as cystic fibrosis or severe asthma
  • have a condition that makes you much more likely to get infections
  • are taking medicine that weakens your immune system
  • are pregnant and have a serious heart condition

I am in remission but I am fairly sure that No 3 means me.😟

At least you don’t have the last one! 

• Haha 1

That is not a good one. I hope that you hear from the medics soon so at least you know where you stand. I’m already severely restricted in movement with draconian penalties so putting together new routines to stay active is important but I can at least still go outside to exercise. 

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

At least you don’t have the last one! 

😀

Always a silver lining if you look hard enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T said:

That is not a good one. I hope that you hear from the medics soon so at least you know where you stand. I’m already severely restricted in movement with draconian penalties so putting together new routines to stay active is important but I can at least still go outside to exercise. 

Long walks round a small garden for me now👍

No Draconian penalties yet but I expect they will come shortly.👎

A list was published last week which included diabetics, morbid obese etc. I assume they are not including those sufferers for the moment as surely it must be more than 1.5 million out of 67 million if all the earlier list is the one included as well.

My granddaughter is Diabetic One but luckily lives in a lovely static caravan at the side of the house so is fairly well isolated and uses all the latest equipment to monitor her health. 

1 hour ago, T said:

So no explanation then  just race based offensive comments. Germany has over 4x the ICU capacity of the UK so I’m not sure you are in a great position to criticise Germany. Just look at their death rates compared to the UK. 

On reflection it was a bit offensive, I must be more careful, still, the point was about panic buying and you saying that its not happening anywhere else in Europe, if that is the case why was Mrs Merkel making this point so publically with a shopping basket and one loo roll in it?

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

News from my son in law who is a supermarket manager in Norfolk. People ignored the 1 hour curfew this morning for NHS staff and stormed past the poor supermarket staff. 

Britain is a **** hole. Hang your heads in shame 

That’s a great shame to hear . 
My eldest son works for the NHS , and the supermarket he went to this morning was well stocked and there was no issue at all with non NHS people trying to barge in . People patiently waited until 10 . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pockthorpe said:

That’s a great shame to hear . 
My eldest son works for the NHS , and the supermarket he went to this morning was well stocked and there was no issue at all with non NHS people trying to barge in . People patiently waited until 10 . 

Thats good to hear, it seems that sometimes we are only getting the horror stories reported 

Edited by Van wink

2 hours ago, Indy said:

In 2016 18% of the UK population were over 65.

3 minutes ago, Ramrod said:

In 2016 18% of the UK population were over 65.

I haven’t looked at 1980’s what was the average then for over 70’s.

Edited by Indy

3 hours ago, ricardo said:

Very nice🍴

Leak(y) soup ?

Thanks VW. Accepted. I understand Merkel has a medical rather than drink problem. Not seen the shopping footage but does sound naff.  The point is the UK tends to be more individualistic than other continual countries. That is generally not a good or bad thing but not helpful when it comes to healthcare provision, bringing in social distancing measures and panic shopping. 

Germany for instance is happy to pay more taxes for better healthcare and a more inclusive society and people are happier to comply with social distancing and requests not to panic buy. The UK gets some hesitant advice, dismissive attitude to experts and more selfish behaviour. It was a genuine question to which I don’t know the answer why the UK is more individualistic than continental European countries which in this situation is not helpful. 

7 minutes ago, T said:

Thanks VW. Accepted. I understand Merkel has a medical rather than drink problem. Not seen the shopping footage but does sound naff.  The point is the UK tends to be more individualistic than other continual countries. That is generally not a good or bad thing but not helpful when it comes to healthcare provision, bringing in social distancing measures and panic shopping. 

Germany for instance is happy to pay more taxes for better healthcare and a more inclusive society and people are happier to comply with social distancing and requests not to panic buy. The UK gets some hesitant advice, dismissive attitude to experts and more selfish behaviour. It was a genuine question to which I don’t know the answer why the UK is more individualistic than continental European countries which in this situation is not helpful. 

Well.the Germans call the  British.....'island monkeys'....... a reflection on the British 'we are different, not like you europeans' attitude. I dont imagine this attitude helps a pan european approach to disease control.

See the pictures in today’s papers, what is it with these people, have the seen the tv news ? There is one of a supermarket in Dudley looking like a football crowd after a game, bonkers