Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

19 hours ago, Van wink said:

Jab and Go Janssen.....for you millennials

A new single shot Covid-19 vaccine could be available by July and will be mainly used to target young millennials who might not want to wait for three months for a second dose.
Nadhim Zahawi, the vaccines minister, said UK medical regulators are now formally assessing the safety of the Janssen vaccine, which is made by Johnson & Johnson.
Ministers are hoping the Janssen jab can be deployed among the young adults born around turn of the century as a ‘jab and go’ offering.

Hi VW

US are already using Johnson and Johnson, Europe’s first 55 million doses start arriving 19/4, they approved it in March and is one of their big bets with 200 million ( remember single dose ). WHO also authorised as safe and effective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Ricardo dressed up in his Travolta white suit.😀

Anyway here is an interesting opinion piece. And with some good thought provoking BTL comments too.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/03/undermining-the-astrazeneca-jab-is-a-dangerous-act-of-political-folly

What I can’t understand is that if this had have been Russia or China lots of people would have been all over this as false info, political gain and typical ploy by them, like America who have closed all vaccine related shipments until America has completed its own program then they’ll sell their vaccines at massive profits......again something both China & Russia haven’t done! 
I have an Iranian friend who got out of Iran, lives in America and has little contact with his family back in Iran now, he once said the only difference between Iran and America is that Iran  brain washes its people with direct force and the west does it with media. After seeing the last 5 years he’s pretty much bang on!

Edited by Indy

22 hours ago, paul moy said:

Lies.... you never stop criticising UK PLC

See you got a lot of support on that one, not one heart.

And for the record I love my country, vote Tory, but think Boris Johnson is a clown. It wasn’t me that said in June 2020 any country that vaccinated anyone below 50 ( healthcare underlying within that ) before every country had done the same would be immoral it was Johnson.
If you would like to point out some of my lies I would be very interested. The last time you accused me of lying was when you claimed the U.K. had exported huge amounts of vaccines, especially to Covax, I said they hadn’t, you called me a liar. Ever since I have asked you for a link, yet there isn’t one. I assume when we start offering some to Covax in the future you will put up that link and hope we all forget that we originally said we would be doing that in December / January.

I still assume you were the previous poster Teemu’s Right Foot as you also support Alex Belfield. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Indy said:

What I can’t understand is that if this had have been Russia or China lots of people would have been all over this as false info, political gain and typical ploy by them, like America who have closed all vaccine related shipments until America has completed its own program then they’ll sell their vaccines at massive profits......again something both China & Russia haven’t done! 
I have an Iranian friend who got out of Iran, lives in America and has little contact with his family back in Iran now, he once said the only difference between Iran and America is that Iran  brain washes its people with direct force and the west does it with media. After seeing the last 5 years he’s pretty much bang on!

Indeed Indy, and it is strange that doesnt even mention the US who began as we know from the COS thread their attacks on the Oxford vaccine in September and October last year. Even China and Russia have attacked indirectly AZ to get their vaccines in, China tell the story that had their vaccines caused 1 blood clot, it would be attacked as it was Chinese and Russia call it ‘ ‘ the British Death Drug ‘ as they replace AZ for free with Sputnik. I guess the Putin funded Oxford / Sputnik trials, assuming success, will not have the word AstraZeneca anywhere in it, but very strange as those trials are being well ramped up.

After the way we saw the trials halted for minor events it was a good job there were no clots of this rare nature in the trials.

• Like 1

Carabao cup to have 8000, hope they sorted their away membership scheme and didn’t over subscribe it.

BREAKINGCarabao Cup: Final to have 8,000 fans in stadium

The Carabao Cup final between Tottenham and Manchester City will have 8,000 fans in attendance after it was confirmed as a pilot event to test the return of big crowds.

A proportion of tickets will be made available to both clubs for the game at Wembley Stadium on 25 April.

The rest will be given to local residents in Brent and NHS staff.

Rick Parry, chair of the English Football League (EFL), said it was an "important milestone".

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

Nightclubs  clubs filled with the over 70’s will be groovy and be able to close at 9.45.

Just in time for my Ovaltine.😀

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Carabao cup to have 8000, hope they sorted their away membership scheme and didn’t over subscribe it.

BREAKINGCarabao Cup: Final to have 8,000 fans in stadium

The Carabao Cup final between Tottenham and Manchester City will have 8,000 fans in attendance after it was confirmed as a pilot event to test the return of big crowds.

A proportion of tickets will be made available to both clubs for the game at Wembley Stadium on 25 April.

The rest will be given to local residents in Brent and NHS staff.

Rick Parry, chair of the English Football League (EFL), said it was an "important milestone".

“The University of Liverpool's Prof Iain Buchan says vaccination against Covid-19 will not be necessary for those taking part in events to try the safe return of mass gatherings.

Buchan, who will help with the pilot scheme in Liverpool, tells BBC Breakfast: "Vaccination will not be a criterion for admission to events - there will just be a test for particles of live virus in your nose."

Those taking part will need to take a Covid test within 36 hours of attending, he says.

They will also be asked to get another test five days after the event for research.

The pilot events are about "operating a safety net – and understanding how to operate a safety net around events", Buchan explains.

"It’s about science, what works well with local public health teams, and most importantly, what works well for local communities.

"Trust has been the bedrock – working very closely with local communities and public health teams who know their communities, on the ground."

What I’d also say on the covid passport idea is what’s the point after everyone who wants a vaccine has had one? If the idea behind it is to stop covid spreading and killing people, then when the majority of the population has had the vaccine what does having a “passport” scheme achieve? It only really makes any sense before the majority have been vaccinated - but that is clearly then discriminatory until everyone has been offered a vaccine. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

And you could have some nibbles with that with a few friends before retiring...

Screenshot_2021-03-20-18-21-10-643_com.twitter.android.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Aggy said:

What I’d also say on the covid passport idea is what’s the point after everyone who wants a vaccine has had one? If the idea behind it is to stop covid spreading and killing people, then when the majority of the population has had the vaccine what does having a “passport” scheme achieve? It only really makes any sense before the majority have been vaccinated - but that is clearly then discriminatory until everyone has been offered a vaccine. 

From an epidemiological perspective passports would make a huge amount of sense but I would say that they are likely to be hugely expensive, hopefully be useful only for a very short period,  problematic from an exclusion/social justice standpoint, and could set a terrible precedent both in terms of our liberal values and where other, less liberal, actors may take similar things.

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

From an epidemiological perspective passports would make a huge amount of sense 

Why? As above, if the large majority of people have been vaccinated, what does it achieve?

Edit: just read the rest of your post and presumably “hopefully be useful only for a very short period” is making the same point as my earlier post - that they only make sense for a short period before the majority of people have actually been vaccinated (and until then it’s little more than a system that increases the risk of mutations etc purely so old people can do things before young people can).

Edited by Aggy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ricardo said:

On tap in Mantra POW Road

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I assume they are having a well earned holiday day off.

Yes, probably the reason.

Anyone got any idea where the huge spike of cases in South Norfolk has come from? We were down to 40 a week ago. This graph is taken from the Zoe reporting app which is run by Kings College

111882539_Screenshot_20210406-051754_COVIDSymptomStudy.thumb.jpg.ab3c2b3bae7b2f739f53264a5aa5c68e.jpg

Word on the street has it that Moderna will start beeing used by 3rd week in April.👍

Indeed Ricardo, but this is in relation a small number, but unlike one poster has been telling us our first doses will pick up from the 9/4.

Around the world is seeing huge numbers the latest weekly figure is 673 million US and India now up to 3 million a day and China close on 6 million a day. I expect that we will be hitting 150 million next week as countries in my other news really crank up.

Other news

One or two won’t like this but today sees Europe moving into top gear and huge quantities of vaccine arriving in EU and EU sponsored countries ( including Johnson and Johnson ( single dose ) from 19/4 ). France will see hubs opening such as the Stade de France, despite what we have been told Germany’s GPS ( 35,000 of them ) will commence giving jabs, and other countries upping their vaccinations accordingly. Italy alone are expecting a delivery of 8 million doses. The aim is for the EU is to increase from 1.75 million a day to 3 million a day in 2 weeks.

Russia appear to have done a deal with India, to manufacture Sputnik in the huge complexes that were to be used for Pfizer. A lot of this will be given away and is expected to become the Covax main donor. Russia have targeted that they supply 10% of the total vaccine doses in the world. 

• Like 2

A bit more news today

Israels latest data shows Pfizer seemingly stopping COVID in its tracks, with little to no transmission amongst those receiving 2 doses. Israel have put in place a green passport system because of that. The passport system goes green a week after your second dose or a week after your first dose if you have had COVID. The vaccine passport seems to have the effect of the people not planning to have the vaccine, coming forward for vaccination.

In some bad breaking news it is being reported that the head of vaccines in the EMA is reported as saying there is definitely a blood clot link with the AZ vaccine. Please do not shoot the messenger and please Moy do not accuse me of anti vaxing as the BBC have it as breaking news headlines. It is being reported around the world. Of course what he hasn’t said is the risk factor and I would think the EMA approval will not change as Countries would have already been pulling it. 

https://www.dailysabah.com/world/europe/ema-official-links-astrazeneca-vaccine-and-blood-clots

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

In some bad breaking news it is being reported that the head of vaccines in the EMA is reported as saying there is definitely a blood clot link with the AZ vaccine. Please do not shoot the messenger and please Moy do not accuse me of anti vaxing as the BBC have it as breaking news headlines. It is being reported around the world. Of course what he hasn’t said is the risk factor and I would think the EMA approval will not change as Countries would have already been pulling it. 

https://www.dailysabah.com/world/europe/ema-official-links-astrazeneca-vaccine-and-blood-clots

Countries aren’t yet vaccinating young people - and it seems from some reports that it might actually be more likely to cause clots in younger people than older people. So if the risk of clots is lower in older people and the benefit of getting the jab is higher in older people, then you wouldn’t stop it from being used in that group. Suggestions it might be limited to over 30s though, because the risk/benefit ratio in under 30s is not as strongly weighted to the benefits.

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Countries aren’t yet vaccinating young people - and it seems from some reports that it might actually be more likely to cause clots in younger people than older people. So if the risk of clots is lower in older people and the benefit of getting the jab is higher in older people, then you wouldn’t stop it from being used in that group. Suggestions it might be limited to over 30s though, because the risk/benefit ratio in under 30s is not as strongly weighted to the benefits.

at the same time we are looking at basically keeping people's lives on hold until they are vaccinated. This is where the problems lie when we are basically vaccinating people in the younger age groups mainly for the benefit of the greater good (reducing transmission).

If I hadn't had my first dose already, I'd be extremely uncomfortable with the discriminatory idea of vaccine passports whilst not even being given the option to weigh up the risks and benefits of taking the first available vaccine to be able to safely get on with my life.

I don't understand why they can't just keep it optional since it's such a rare risk anyway.

I presume we are pinning our hopes on a mass load of J and J being approved and giving that to young people instead.

Perhaps it's time to ship our AZ supplies to other countries and leave enough for 2nd doses and then be realistic with the potential impact it may have on our roadmap if that's the way they are going?

I get there is a link to certain groups and we don't know everything yet but the risk is so tiny compared to the potential risk of another Covid wave, especially when we hear of 1.1m long covid sufferers as well.

It just feels like we are tapping the ball round the edge of the box trying to score the perfect goal rather than just being direct.

The way that the impact of lockdowns and distancing is so seemingly dismissed as if we can just carry on like this for a while yet is incredibly disturbing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ricardo said:

National

2379 -20

Local

image.png.23181da82b4cb2181cd4a317a7009935.png

image.png.d8526a8c08f3536f47aa7a812ef81ce7.png

image.thumb.png.3abc5ff1583653127d8f8bcccd065fbc.png

image.thumb.png.82ab97f8333c4b11d99af1f38ee98194.png

Bank Holiday figures.

following the mad decline of the ZOE data as well! I guess tomorrow will be fairly significant with any easter catch up ironed out.