Jump to content
Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Recommended Posts

National

2763 - 45

Local

All clear in NR2

image.png.c522b3d679a350c8134fb130d48fb8ae.png

image.thumb.png.ce37e860863793ccf62a3a5887c7c517.png

image.thumb.png.43934b6480a555d52220b1fab00d7cc4.png

Ramping back up after Easter Hols.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ricardo said:

Ten weeks and four days between my doses.

did you have to book your 2nd appointment separate or was it all booked first time around?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

I suspect that actually follows what others had already been thinking. J & J,  Moderna are or are becoming available soon. Only issues I have is that whereas Moderna is Pfizer like (mRNA)  - J & J (one shot) is an adenovirus not unlike the AZ. 

What we need to honestly know is do any of the others have any extremely rare side effects else it is a false premis to change.

Either way it can only slow our own roll out if AZ isn't used for under 30s but probably in-line with original promises - by end of August.

I suspect we have got a bit lucky really that we got the old and vulnerable all sorted and had a bit of a delayed April anyway. Moderna and J&J will mainly do the last bit for us.

It would be good if people under 30 at least get the option to "risk it" if they choose though to get sorted quicker but hopefully soon it shouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully it doesn't affect the booster they are making for the variants to be rolled out in early autumn as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

I suspect we have got a bit lucky really that we got the old and vulnerable all sorted and had a bit of a delayed April anyway. Moderna and J&J will mainly do the last bit for us.

It would be good if people under 30 at least get the option to "risk it" if they choose though to get sorted quicker but hopefully soon it shouldn't be an issue.

Hopefully it doesn't affect the booster they are making for the variants to be rolled out in early autumn as well.

I think though that one of the concerns raised by YF is that if AZ use gets restricted is there not also a reason to do likewise for all vaccines built the same way?

Edited by Barbe bleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I think though that one of the concerns raised by YF is that if AZ use gets restricted is there not also a reason to do likewise for all vaccines built the same way?

I'm not specific to that but I do wonder if other vaccines have as yet come under so much scrutiny - especially when you might not know what you're looking for with such very rare conditions. For the record I'm more than happy with AZ.

Adenovirus vaccines (AZ, J&J, Sputnik etc.) are all modified virus's in themselves and possibly have more original 'baggage' than pure mRNA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen a FB message from Reydon Surgery saying they can’t guarantee the second jab even if you have an appointment already booked.. I have an appointment in nine days time what do I do if they have no stock of the one I need ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tetteys Jig said:

did you have to book your 2nd appointment separate or was it all booked first time around?

No, I was told to wait for NHS to contact me which they did yesterday by text. I followed a link online and booked the first appt available today. Easy peasy.👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, sonyc said:

This is quite a big deal isn't it?

How will alternatives be offered? Can they be? And to WBB...do you think we may see mixing of jabs and might this be just as effective?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/07/under-30s-in-uk-should-be-offered-alternative-covid-vaccine-to-astrazeneca-jab-says-regulator?

 

Hi Sonyc

I always thought they might be but not so certain at the moment. The Oxford Sputnik trials seemed to be going amazingly well, but of course Russia ( as is US ) are launching attacks on AZ. 
There must be a further link with AZ ie women and the contraceptive pill or something. You would think andenovirus was 1 link, but there are no reports of the clots with others. If the link is found that would be great. 
Just feel it lucky that this did not happen in the trials, as you will be aware the Brazil event nearly did for it, and there really was no link at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Just seen a FB message from Reydon Surgery saying they can’t guarantee the second jab even if you have an appointment already booked.. I have an appointment in nine days time what do I do if they have no stock of the one I need ?

Are you sure it is from them ?. The second dose vaccine has been stored last 3 weeks and where I help we had a huge Pfizer delivery today for second doses. The slow down in the letter I saw was for 9 days, and I would be shocked if they offer you something else unless they know of trial data not yet released. I will speak to the Walsall lead Tomorrow for you and see if they know of any problems, but I don’t think they will as we have delivery dates next 3 weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

I'm not specific to that but I do wonder if other vaccines have as yet come under so much scrutiny - especially when you might not know what you're looking for with such very rare conditions. For the record I'm more than happy with AZ.

Adenovirus vaccines (AZ, J&J, Sputnik etc.) are all modified virus's in themselves and possibly have more original 'baggage' than pure mRNA.

Hi YF

I maybe wrong and happy to be corrected but my understanding is that plenty of Sputnik has been administered throughout the world, including countries that have reported the AZ problem. JandJ will have huge usage in Europe and America before it is available here. Our next one is Novovax.

I still think there will be a further link as the current problem is specifically women, young - they just need the next bit of the jigsaw, contraceptive pill, previous clot something that links them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Hi Sonyc

I always thought they might be but not so certain at the moment. The Oxford Sputnik trials seemed to be going amazingly well, but of course Russia ( as is US ) are launching attacks on AZ. 
There must be a further link with AZ ie women and the contraceptive pill or something. You would think andenovirus was 1 link, but there are no reports of the clots with others. If the link is found that would be great. 
Just feel it lucky that this did not happen in the trials, as you will be aware the Brazil event nearly did for it, and there really was no link at all.

Thanks WBB. I have to say I'm still a supporter of AZ. There  obviously appears 'some' link between the incidents. But we were told (and I reckon we intuitively knew) that there would be stories emerging before the vaccines hit the ground running of people becoming ill and correllating the two things. Also, there appear no stories of 'issues' with Pfizer et al. I reckon there have always been these concerns in the history of vaccines. I'm reading too tonight of many women who are asking questions about the pill. And I believe the linkages to clots in this drug have been well trailled. As for other substance risks there is sugar! Alcohol! And so on.

Radio 4 Today answered my question about mixing your vaccines! At the moment it's not advised but clinical trials are underway (as you'd have guessed they would) and maybe by summer we will know more. My son is due his 2nd AZ jab in a week. I am sure he will take it.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Are you sure it is from them ?. The second dose vaccine has been stored last 3 weeks and where I help we had a huge Pfizer delivery today for second doses. The slow down in the letter I saw was for 9 days, and I would be shocked if they offer you something else unless they know of trial data not yet released. I will speak to the Walsall lead Tomorrow for you and see if they know of any problems, but I don’t think they will as we have delivery dates next 3 weeks.

Now been told to ring my own surgery, will let you know what happens 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Thanks WBB. I have to say I'm still a supporter of AZ. There  obviously appears 'some' link between the incidents. But we were told (and I reckon we intuitively knew) that there would be stories emerging before the vaccines hit the ground running of people becoming ill and correllating the two things. Also, there appear no stories of 'issues' with Pfizer et al. I reckon there have always been these concerns in the history of vaccines. I'm reading too tonight of many women who are asking questions about the pill. And I believe the linkages to clots in this drug have been well trailled. As for other substance risks there is sugar! Alcohol! And so on.

Radio 4 Today answered my question about mixing your vaccines! At the moment it's not advised but clinical trials are underway (as you'd have guessed they would) and maybe by summer we will know more. My son is due his 2nd AZ jab in a week. I am sure he will take it.

Me to, however unfortunately we know from the COS thread the US launched their first attack on AZ in October/ November, after the Brazil incident. Had AZ been the only COVID vaccine this would not be seen as any sort of problem. As it is it is not the only vaccine and as much as I support Oxford 100% if I was a young girl offered a choice Pfizer or AZ I wager not many would pick AZ. Other countries may not be as forgiving of “ a rare event “ as we are due to choice. 
Good news however is we are nearly done and AZ is not as vital as it was in December in the U.K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an update for you @sonyc

Germany has said all under 60’s given AZ as dose 1 will have a different vaccine as dose 2. France, Finland and Norway are likely to follow suit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Me to, however unfortunately we know from the COS thread the US launched their first attack on AZ in October/ November, after the Brazil incident. Had AZ been the only COVID vaccine this would not be seen as any sort of problem. As it is it is not the only vaccine and as much as I support Oxford 100% if I was a young girl offered a choice Pfizer or AZ I wager not many would pick AZ. Other countries may not be as forgiving of “ a rare event “ as we are due to choice. 
Good news however is we are nearly done and AZ is not as vital as it was in December in the U.K.

Depends how rare the issues are. I’m not convinced this would have been seen as a none issue even if there were no other jabs.

There was a uni of Cambridge article a while ago suggesting healthy 30-34 year old women had a 1 in 350,000 chance of dying from covid during the peak nine weeks of the pandemic (when transmission was highest). As transmission is now massively lower, the death risk is going to be quite a lot smaller than at the peak - could easily be 1 in 750,000 or lower chance of dying from covid for 30-34 year olds. I can’t find figures on under 30s (haven’t looked too hard) but presumably lower than 30-34 year olds.

The BBC is suggesting it could be 1 in a million chance of dying from a blood clot as a result of the vaccine. That’s for everyone, so if there is evidence it affects under 30s more, then it could easily be 1 in 750,000 chance of dying for under 30s.

Those figures are of course guesswork, but especially as we don’t know what else might be found, this is a new vaccine etc. I’m not sure we’d be dismissing it as a none issue even if there were no other vaccines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I have an update for you @sonyc

Germany has said all under 60’s given AZ as dose 1 will have a different vaccine as dose 2. France, Finland and Norway are likely to follow suit.

do they even know that works? thought the trial on mixing vaccines isn't done until May?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Well b back said:

I have an update for you @sonyc

Germany has said all under 60’s given AZ as dose 1 will have a different vaccine as dose 2. France, Finland and Norway are likely to follow suit.

The UK data shows no blood clots after second dose as far as I know (albeit the number of second doses is obviously small, especially in the unded 60s). If the euro data is the same this is an interesting step  given mixing is unproven (I guess though that at least some of the antigens/binding sites used are the same hence they can in theory be mixed).

 

1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Depends how rare the issues are. I’m not convinced this would have been seen as a none issue even if there were no other jabs.

There was a uni of Cambridge article a while ago suggesting healthy 30-34 year old women had a 1 in 350,000 chance of dying from covid during the peak nine weeks of the pandemic (when transmission was highest). As transmission is now massively lower, the death risk is going to be quite a lot smaller than at the peak - could easily be 1 in 750,000 or lower chance of dying from covid for 30-34 year olds. I can’t find figures on under 30s

A fair point. As we cannot disprove causation we should take a balance of risks approach and this will be personal to individual  characteristics 

We switched polio vaccines to a less effective but incredibly marginally safer version because of the changing balance of risks when the virus was no longer in circulation. Seems a sensible thing to do here if-and its a big if- a switch to another vaccine or no vaccine  also switches the balance.

And for WBB - we are where we are because of AZ,.it has saved many, many lives.  Whatever the outcome of this your favourite came good

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I think though that one of the concerns raised by YF is that if AZ use gets restricted is there not also a reason to do likewise for all vaccines built the same way?

Although no expert, and no doubt there are some better qualified about to answer this than me, I doubt that.

The reason being is that the AZ vaccine is one of the variants based on traditional vaccine methodology. So if it was the way it was 'built' it would have been an issue many years ago. It is more likely to be the parts that make it if that makes sense?

As a care worker, I had my 2nd jab of Pfizer on Friday. First jab just gave me a dead arm, which I am not sure is attributed to the vaccine or the jab itself. 2nd was the same really but I woke up a bit groggy the next morning. I would definitely take their advice and make sure you hydrate plenty as I think that was my main downfall. Felt fine after taking on a bit of fluid and some paracetamol.

No ill effects otherwise and boy is 5G grand!!! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Well b back said:

I have an update for you @sonyc

Germany has said all under 60’s given AZ as dose 1 will have a different vaccine as dose 2. France, Finland and Norway are likely to follow suit.

Thank you WBB. That is a very interesting development. Much more to come on the subject of mixing I think (and very soon it would appear).

Whilst here I will share some more graphs. Again, they provide perspective.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, ricardo said:

No, I was told to wait for NHS to contact me which they did yesterday by text. I followed a link online and booked the first appt available today. Easy peasy.👍

Hope you are feeling well today, hold on tight and get out there for a beer on Monday👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, sonyc said:

Thank you WBB. That is a very interesting development. Much more to come on the subject of mixing I think (and very soon it would appear).

Whilst here I will share some more graphs. Again, they provide perspective.

 

Excellent graphs used yesterday summing up the situation very nicely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Van wink said:

Hope you are feeling well today, hold on tight and get out there for a beer on Monday👍

Slightly sore arm last night but gone now, just like the first jab.

Long time since I've been to the pub🍻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Van wink said:

First time below 2000 in a long time

image.thumb.png.1ef61478ec8525e12071309f7eaea5a4.png

was 1922 yesterday... after the mad decreases the last few days it wasn't ever going to last forever. Hopefully the trend downwards still continues. I'd imagine we'll get a nice week of "official" reported cases for the upcoming week now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

Just seen a FB message from Reydon Surgery saying they can’t guarantee the second jab even if you have an appointment already booked.. I have an appointment in nine days time what do I do if they have no stock of the one I need ?

Message has been clarified - anybody who was given a second date when they had the first should check with their own Surgery as supplies have not been guaranteed , I most cases it will be a day or two either way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

National

3030 - 53

Local

Nowt doing

image.png.76c1b1d17555f87a3aa84cb1aa928880.png

image.thumb.png.a7cc01a21e20ae83b2eac248be306d45.png

image.thumb.png.674c17187c97300a8a360e232dd8381b.png

Back up to over half a million with jab no 2 rapidly increasing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, chicken said:

Although no expert, and no doubt there are some better qualified about to answer this than me, I doubt that.

The reason being is that the AZ vaccine is one of the variants based on traditional vaccine methodology. So if it was the way it was 'built' it would have been an issue many years ago. It is more likely to be the parts that make it if that makes sense?

As a care worker, I had my 2nd jab of Pfizer on Friday. First jab just gave me a dead arm, which I am not sure is attributed to the vaccine or the jab itself. 2nd was the same really but I woke up a bit groggy the next morning. I would definitely take their advice and make sure you hydrate plenty as I think that was my main downfall. Felt fine after taking on a bit of fluid and some paracetamol.

No ill effects otherwise and boy is 5G grand!!! 😆

I would agree if I thought the technology was established, but I dont think it is. 

As far as I know the AZ vaccine was the first to use a viral vector.  

Not saying you are wrong. In fact I really hope you are correct and we do find that if there is a link it is due to one tiny easily changed thing.  The world needs this vaccine type.

Anyway glad you are in the club now!

Edited by Barbe bleu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment on BBC last night was that if all the people vaccinated had been given a course of aspirin then that would cause significantly more blood clots that have been recorded for the AZ vaccine. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

"More than 700,000 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine have been sent to Australia despite a shortage of jabs in the UK.

Australia’s vaccine rollout was boosted by a shipment from Britain that was kept quiet to avoid controversy, according to reports in the Sydney Morning Herald and The Age.

Health Secretary Matt Hancock, on Thursday morning, did not deny the 717,000 doses manufactured in the UK had been sent to Australia but said it was not the Government who made the shipment.

"No, the British Government has a contract with seven companies now, but of course including AstraZeneca, for the delivery by AstraZeneca to the UK for us to deploy through the NHS, and that's the bit I'm responsible for."

Mr Hancock told Sky News: "In terms of what the companies do, these companies are manufacturing for all around the world and we source from everywhere in the world, so what I'm in control of, what matters for us as the UK Government, is making sure that we get the supplies that we have got contracted from the companies."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...