Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Bill said:

I don't think this is what is being claimed, not in the sense of any mutation.

It is simply that with more contact. comes greater exposure to those who have previously not been exposed - so you get an increase in infections.

And it is an increase, not a 'spike' as the figures show an increasing amount, not a static rise. So as the figures are continually rising, not remaining at one point.

Maybe if we cut out the vacuous buzzwords it might be better understood

I wasn't suggesting it was being claimed that, it was me not being specific in my use of words. I agree with your points. It is simply due to the propensity of greater exposure.

Edited by sonyc

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

The local paper here is bemoaning being kept in the dark by the government and PHE these last few weeks. You're right that a pandemic is probably not best handled so centrally (or in a centrist fashion). Nor can the private sector understand local conditions.

It will all come out soon enough and already many parts of the press are providing good analyses into failures / shortcomings.

There is also a lot more to understand about the virus isn't there.

The private sector will always fail, and has done as failure is it's default position

That being because it has profit as it's core function. You only have to look at the huge waste and failings of the US health care and penal system

Could you imagine if the US armed forces were lumbered with a private health care system ? How many dead would they have suffered over the previous century.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

More rightwing nutjobs

While it might be mildly amusing to listen to their lunacy, there is a hidden concern that they infect others with their stupidity....... literally. As with the huge spread of measles in the US last autumn.

These believe that diseases lie Covid-19 have been set up to sell drugs. Hence the cretins in the south of the US (Texas, Florida) who have been ignoring guidance on protecting themselves, and are now seeing a huge rise in the number of those infected, and dying

So remember - right stupidity can kill. Be on your guard.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/may/29/why-us-anti-vaxxers-will-refuse-a-coronavirus-vaccine-video

So no virus spikes could possibly be down to the thousands upon thousands of lunatics who make up the Far-Left BLM/Antifa mobs then? 🤪

1 minute ago, Jools said:

So no virus spikes could possibly be down to the thousands upon thousands of lunatics who make up the Far-Left BLM/Antifa mobs then? 🤪

a virus spike ?

Security Toppings Rota-Spike | Jacksons Fencing

the Good Old Days, eh Jools

Godwin's Law already! You have effectively forfeited the argument 🤪

Clown.

1 hour ago, Jools said:

Godwin's Law already! You have effectively forfeited the argument 🤪

Clown.

Not quite Godwin's Law yet. 

And BLM is not far left

8 hours ago, sonyc said:

This is the link Aggy (Reuters)...

Australia to lock down 300,000 in Melbourne suburbs after coronavirus spike https://nypost.com/2020/07/01/australia-to-lock-down-300000-in-melbourne-suburbs-after-coronavirus-spike/

I think 300k is quite significant in the scheme of things but I take your point out of 25m.

The report mentions a fear of a second wave yet I'm becoming more convinced now that there aren't second waves but actually the virus is simply 'lurking', almost that it is omni-present, waiting for the right conditions. Therefore, these talks of new lockdowns are not due to secondary waves because it never went away in the first place. 

That’s 300k going into lockdown though. The new infections in the whole of Asutralia are 80 a day. In this area about to lockdown, it’s gone up from single digit numbers to the teens and low twenties, which is why the localised restrictions are coming back in. We can live with 15 new infections a day.

My point is rather as you say in your last paragraph - there is no real evidence of a massive second wave anywhere. Iran is the one where you could perhaps argue, but the figures there are firstly perhaps slightly unreliable and secondly only very briefly dropped at all - so I’m not convinced they had ever really got on top of it. Everywhere else though (S Korea, Beijing, sure there was one or two more potential “second wave” outbreaks) - you get localised outbreaks which are nipped in the bud early.

If you look at the figures in NZ and Australia, they never really had a first “wave”. Quite clear to me that if you get on top of it (or in the case of NZ/Australia never let it take hold in the first place) it isn’t too difficult to manage. The problem is that most countries in the world were slow to act and let it get out of hand in the first place. That then puts those countries in a difficult health vs economy position - whereas in NZ, the economy can now more readily start to open up because they are so much on top of the health situation.

So the guidance for schools released about an hour ago. The gist of it is:

Wipe **** down, encourage kids to wash their hands, aside from that you're on your own, good luck, hope you all survive.

So no virus spikes could possibly be down to the thousands upon thousands of lunatics who make up the Far-Left BLM/Antifa mobs then?

Undoubtedly the protests were making the chance of a spike more probable. But not all the protesters were as you describe. That is unless you are saying all Brexit supporters are racist, all Tories are racist. I'm sure many of them them are as equally concerned about the latest developments as anyone else. 

And lets face it, time will probably tell us that your opinions on our role in Europe are lunatic.

• Like 1

BLM movement is apolitical. 

BLMUK is slightly left and very libertarian. 

Things aren't as simple as left and right. I know this may come as a shock to a lot of you. 

Had another foray into the city today. Mrs R and I were among the ten percent wearing masks. On the way back we decided to walk through Chapel field Park. At the entrance we couldn't  make up our minds whether to turn slightly left or Libiterian so just walked straight through.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

You've confused BLMUK with BLM, the clue is the exra 2 letters. 😀

There is a black lives matter UK website and a black lives matter movement one too (confusing called blacklivesmatteruk). Everyone is able to read them and make their own mind up if they are 'leftist'.

I'm not debating the rights and wrongs of anything the websites say but both do call for (non-violent) revolution, both identify a ruling elite and both point to the impact of class on the debate.  Of course there is much more on these websites besides but I don't think it is controversial to describe such descriptions as being 'in the Marxist tradition'.

I couldn't find much in the way of specific policy demands so it could be argued that there is something in describing both organisations as part of a 'movement' for social and racial justice rather than, for instance, a political party

Edited by Barbe bleu

46 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

none of which has much to do with the virus!

where's handcrank?

I would say this is all tribal, but I would hate to set off the Mail, Express etc howling about how I am not allowed to say that word any more

In fact the Mail ran a story the other day about how the club is being forced to change the name of Tom Trybull

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

Had another foray into the city today. Mrs R and I were among the ten percent wearing masks. On the way back we decided to walk through Chapel field Park. At the entrance we couldn't  make up our minds whether to turn slightly left or Libiterian so just walked straight through.

You should always take a slightly left turn 😉

7 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You should always take a slightly left turn 😉

Mrs R insists upon the straight and narrow😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I hope you bought MrsR an ice cream 🍦

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Mrs R insists upon the straight and narrow😉

I hope she has kept you away from that naughty PL football on the telly

it's a disgrace.... it shouldn't be allowed ...etc 😋

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

I hope she has kept you away from that naughty PL football on the telly

it's a disgrace.... it shouldn't be allowed ...etc 😋

Last night should have been X rated.

A sort of ....... Krul see

1 minute ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

What's happened to the air bridges?

I was expecting something to have been announced by now?

Read they're being dropped for a quarantine free agreement with about 75 countries

Boris Johnson: We're going to open the pubs and restaurants on a Saturday.

Boris Johnson this morning: We need people to act responsibly. 

Government announcement this afternoon: Pubs will be allowed to open from 6am. 

🤨

• Thanks 1