Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

33 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Else pay the teachers 100,000 a year bonus danger money! 

What's the process for getting you elected?

Yours,

An optimistic teacher

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Bill said:

I know, that's why I posted what I did

and unsurprisingly it is Primary school kids

The lowest risk category

54 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wonder how relevant the Spanish lockdown and subsequent results are compared to the UK. Construction and manufacturing may have started 5/6 weeks ago but I was always under the impression that otherwise the lockdown over there was much more severe than our own. For instance the ban on exercise or outdoor walks over there only got lifted a couple of weeks ago. Regardless hopefully the decline continues.

But the pessimist in me wonders if it might not here.... 

You are correct. I was speaking to my Brother in Law who lives near Alicante and the restrictions are still more stricter than ours.
It is remarkable that other Nations are used when it suits and then discarded as irrelevant another time.
What matters to the people of Germany or Spain is not a yardstick for the UK. Cornwall is different to Norfolk and the comparison would not be fair.

KG, my mate lives in La Zenia, a few miles South of Alicante and the majority of the restaurant terraces are open there with appropriate social distancing. Hairdressers and beauty salons are also permitted to open so they are certainly not under stricter restricions than us. It is true to say that each autonomous region can only move onto the "next stage" of relaxation when central Government allows because as you point out, comparison between different areas is not fair.    

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "other nations are used when it suits and then discarded as irrelevant another time" ?

Edited by Mark .Y.

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

The lowest risk category

risk ?

I thought there was no risk

but certainly the age group most in need of parental care/supervision

what a coincidence 🤔

31 minutes ago, Bill said:

risk ?

I thought there was no risk

but certainly the age group most in need of parental care/supervision

what a coincidence 🤔

There's risk in everything, Bill

2 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

There's risk in everything, Bill

well, I never..... you learn something every day 😆

but it still doesn't explain why those returning are the age where education might be considered at it's least effect - but requires the greatest parental care

ps do feel free to tell us all about the Norwegian Blue, and how it is not dead - as there might be a chance that someone might believe that claim

Getting schools open as soon as possible should be an absolute priority. Good schooling is vital for the child and for the public at large on so many levels

I'm in  support of the general approach  and the year groups identified as being those who would most benefit from coming back.

Lots of thought needs to go into how best to manage the return but I imagine that a lot of this has happened already.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

well, I never..... you learn something every day 😆

but it still doesn't explain why those returning are the age where education might be considered at it's least effect - but requires the greatest parental care

ps do feel free to tell us all about the Norwegian Blue, and how it is not dead - as there might be a chance that someone might believe that claim

I told you already. This is phase 1 of a multi-phased operation

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

I told you already. This is phase 1 of a multi-phased operation

and phase 2, is

Eton, Harrow and St Pauls......🤣

1 hour ago, Bill said:

we both know what I said is correct - only as a diehard 'righty' you cannot admit it

and if it was not correct all the public/private schools would be returning, as would those who have reached a stage in their education that is vital - six formers, students etc... so why are the Unis and colleges not being talked off ?

could it be that their being at home does not affect their parents going to work ?

No, we both know “irrespective of risk” is absolute nonsense. It’s the sort of provocative rubbish you spout all the time. If anything after the hammering the government have received for what’s happened in the care sector they will be even more risk averse. 

1 hour ago, Van wink said:

No, we both know “irrespective of risk” is absolute nonsense. It’s the sort of provocative rubbish you spout all the time. If anything after the hammering the government have received for what’s happened in the care sector they will be even more risk averse. 

File:Official portrait of Michael Gove crop 2.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

"Fofages."

Edited by Herman

10 minutes ago, Van wink said:

and up pops RTB's mate.........................................................quelle surprise 😏

sadly (and unsurprisingly) with the same level of stupidity

in this case it is not that the government will be avoiding putting children's lives at risk ............. for the obvious reason

but because of the 'hammering' they took elsewhere

still. at least you accept that this is about perceived appearance, than it is about safety

If not 1 june when should a phased or full re-start begin?  Do we give an exact date, or do we do this only after the number of Infwction/R value reaches a certain point? How much  notice is needed?

10 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

If not 1 june when should a phased or full re-start begin?  Do we give an exact date, or do we do this only after the number of Infwction/R value reaches a certain point? How much  notice is needed?

ah, it's your turn I see 😆

this time it is to suggest that the fault lies with us...

and the teachers, parents, school governors etc for expressing their concern over the risk

and what is the real motivation for herding a certain section back into schools

KG, my mate lives in La Zenia, a few miles South of Alicante and the majority of the restaurant terraces are open there with appropriate social distancing. Hairdressers and beauty salons are also permitted to open so they are certainly not under stricter restricions than us. It is true to say that each autonomous region can only move onto the "next stage" of relaxation when central Government allows because as you point out, comparison between different areas is not fair.    

I'm not quite sure what you mean when you say "other nations are used when it suits and then discarded as irrelevant another time" ?

Well you believe your mate and I will believe my Brother in Law. We can't do anything other than that.

What I meant about other Nations was that the Government, the media and even posters on here will be selective in what to use as examples. The only thing that matters at the moment is that we get rid of this virus. I do not see the area of compromise as wide as others.

For instance, Football, what we are on this site talking to strangers about. How farcical that the German players have some many protocols to follow before and after the game yet at the time when transmission could well be at its most prevalent, there are absolutely none whatsoever. And the farce of not shaking hands is unbelievable. An millisecond of contact is not allowed but for 90 plus minutes you can push, pull, kick, butt, spit, cough and breathe at closer contact than some sexual positions.

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Well you believe your mate and I will believe my Brother in Law. We can't do anything other than that.

What I meant about other Nations was that the Government, the media and even posters on here will be selective in what to use as examples. The only thing that matters at the moment is that we get rid of this virus. I do not see the area of compromise as wide as others.

For instance, Football, what we are on this site talking to strangers about. How farcical that the German players have some many protocols to follow before and after the game yet at the time when transmission could well be at its most prevalent, there are absolutely none whatsoever. And the farce of not shaking hands is unbelievable. An millisecond of contact is not allowed but for 90 plus minutes you can push, pull, kick, butt, spit, cough and breathe at closer contact than some sexual positions.

KG, I can 100% assure you that those terraces are open (30% occupancy allowed) and hairdressers and beauty salons are permitted to open. My mate actually posted a photo of the bill from his and his partners first meal out for over two months on Facebook. Honestly, it is not a case of who to choose to believe - it is factual. Maybe your brother-in-law is a little North of Alicante and is actually in the Valencia region ?? - I have a feeling they are one of the regions who haven't moved on to the next stage yet.

The rest of your post, I absolutely agree with.

27 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

...you can push, pull, kick, butt, spit, cough and breathe at closer contact than some sexual positions.

at least your memory has not been impaired 😏

"Professor John Ashton, a former regional director of public health for North West England, accused No 10 of relying on a ‘little clique’ of researchers and failing to consult a wider pool of academics.

‘These guys are being regarded as demigods,’ he said in April.

‘Here we are talking about science but this research is being given a kind of religious status, like tablets of stone from the mountain.’ "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8327641/Coronavirus-modelling-Professor-Neil-Ferguson-branded-mess-experts.html

As has been the case on here. Vague numbers extrapolated so as to appear scientific, when as we now know they were, and still are, little more than guesswork.

No wonder the government is trying to keep the advice given to Sage hidden away. Just as they did with the advice from the Cygnus exercise.

Yes Mark my Brother in Law is in the Jalon Valley and his family in Altea which is Valencia who obviously have different restrictions.

21 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yes Mark my Brother in Law is in the Jalon Valley and his family in Altea which is Valencia who obviously have different restrictions.

Ah, that explains it KG. I just googled to confirm and Valencia is definitely one of the 5 or 6 regions that have not yet been allowed to ease restrictions. Jalon valley is a beautiful area, was very tempted to buy there myself but was quite a bit more expensive than Murcia.

This doesn't sound good news, from Texas  :

"Texas reported its largest one-day spike in new coronavirus cases on Saturday with 1,801 new infections.

It comes after the governor allowed all retail businesses to reopen on 1 May, but with restrictions on capacity.

Thirty-three more people died on Saturday, bringing the statewide death toll to 1,305.

Around 700 of the new cases were reported in Amarillo, where a meatpacking plant has been identified as a source of the local outbreak."

and we have

" In a fresh sampling of his survey group which has yet to be published, he found that a startling 21% of Americans said they would refuse a coronavirus vaccine."

What gets into the heads of these f ckwits, beyond the usual grade A stupidity they are fed. Where their President tells them that the virus is a hoax got up by the Democrats. And now that the death rate has been over estimated so as to keep the economy falling - so that Trump loses the election.

There are pastors (parasites) feeding on this stupidity by telling the halfwits that they can blow the virus away (for a healthy donation).

And ;side by side Trump tells these half wits on a regular basis that they can be cured by all manner of absurd remedies. From anti - malaria tablets, to internal light treatment and even injecting disinfectant.And as over here, it is those pointing out the stupidity and danger of this who are the ones supposedly in the wrong.

As I suspect it will be this level of stupidity that history remembers about this time. Just as we now laugh at the ducking stool, belief in (and fear of) witches it will be the righties that are regarded with utter disbelief.

it is their stupidity that has given us this - no hoax, just the grim reality of mass death

image.jpeg.ea46b16f31515a2a5d631f3f054715f6.jpeg

20 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Former WHO chief offers a concept of the virus naturally burning itself out. A hopeful piece.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-vaccine-immunity-uk-who-karol-sikora-oxford-trials-transmission-a9518986.html

That's what roughly happened with the 1918 flu pandemic - it almost stopped overnight. Well dropped (or unspiked) to negligible numbers, though it continued on until the late 50's.

The problem here is that the tea leaf gazers seem to imagine that as it unspikes then so it is being eradicated - it is not. This variant has probably begun to run out of those who o not have some immunity. But even then

"We don’t know whether if a former COVID-19 patient has survived, for how long any immunity may or may not last. There are no clear signs that SARS-CoV-2 will ’just go away’, especially when other corona viruses (like those that cause the common cold every single year) do not do so either. "

It will, at some stage, reach a point of 'acceptable deaths'. Just as car accidents, smoking related deaths other identifiable risk activities are. The concern here has not only been the number of deaths, but the thought that you could die without undertaking any extra risk.

However unlike the plague, there are no noticeable visual effects (bar fancy dress) then many are already (and will) take the view that 'so what, we have done our bit'' and we will have just get on with things

Where that leads to is an unknown - but I suggest that is what the accepted view will be in a few weeks

Edited by Bill

This detailed dicussion is all very well and I am sure some of you are right some of the time, but none of it relates to the basic truth behind this pandemic, which is that it only happened because meddling doctors started testing people to see if they had this supposed virus. It was the testing that created the illness, and if they hadn't tested then no-one would have got sick, as the US's leading epidemiologist has explained in admirably clear, non-technical English:

“When you test, you have a case. When you test, you find something is wrong with people. If we didn’t do any testing, we would have very few cases.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Former WHO chief offers a concept of the virus naturally burning itself out. A hopeful piece.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-vaccine-immunity-uk-who-karol-sikora-oxford-trials-transmission-a9518986.html

Yes, I have seen that opinion put forward by a couple of others sonyc........... it does seem to make sense to me, lets hope they're right and it happens soon