Fuzzar

Corona Virus main thread

Good stuff Ricardo. It's amazing how quickly the body de-tunes once you are out of things. Starts at about age 30 I reckon. You have to work hard to keep the system going.

Just now, ricardo said:

Took a chance today and had a bit of a ride round on my bike for the first time in eight weeks. It was very quiet and a pleasant change from just being in the garden. I don't  think Ive been in any danger but my bloody legs ache and I feel stiff as a board.🚲😷

well done you

wait till tomorrow, then you'll feel the old legs suffering

but your mental health will be better for getting outside

ps maybe a penny farthing is the answer, you are a good few feet above everyone 😉

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

Good stuff Ricardo. It's amazing how quickly the body de-tunes once you are out of things. Starts at about age 30 I reckon. You have to work hard to keep the system going.

Im two and a half times past thirty Sonyc and as you say, its remarkable how quickly you lose condition. I shall attempt to step it up slowly but only at quiet times if I'm ever going to see another match at CR.

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

well done you

wait till tomorrow, then you'll feel the old legs suffering

but your mental health will be better for getting outside

ps maybe a penny farthing is the answer, you are a good few feet above everyone 😉

This is true, I even tried wearing a mask but it kept huffing up my glasses.😉

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

Im two and a half times past thirty Sonyc and as you say, its remarkable how quickly you lose condition. I shall attempt to step it up slowly but only at quiet times if I'm ever going to see another match at CR.

I'm only in my late fifties    , was very Ill a couple of years ago, burst  appendix, full blown sepsis , nearly kicked it, consultant said " gravely ill". Since then it's been a real struggle to regain anything like the strength and stamina I had before, I still tire quickly and my body doesnt build muscle as quickly as it used to.  Whatever you do do Ricardo(o) dont give up pedalling until  your  balance leaves you. Even then , get a trike. 😉Take up Angling or Birdwatching or both at the same time like I do, the water in Norfolk is much cleaner than it was when I left in 88. Always got a destination when you have a Rod on board!🎣🐟🎣🐟

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

you should be ok, the evidence now is strongly pointing towards prolonged contact in an enclosed area

get yourself a Jimmy Savile costume and mask - you'll have plenty of social distance

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I'm only in my late fifties    , was very Ill a couple of years ago, burst  appendix, full blown sepsis , nearly kicked it, consultant said " gravely ill". Since then it's been a real struggle to regain anything like the strength and stamina I had before, I still tire quickly and my body doesnt build muscle as quickly as it used to.  Whatever you do do Ricardo(o) dont give up pedalling until  your  balance leaves you. Even then , get a trike. 😉Take up Angling or Birdwatching or both at the same time like I do, the water in Norfolk is much cleaner than it was when I left in 88. Always got a destination when you have a Rod on board!🎣🐟🎣🐟

Haven't been fishing in thirty years or more but there are plenty of bird reserves round this way and I have been a RSPB member since forever. I' m not really supposed to be out for another month but to be honest I feel it is now safe enough if I take extra care and only go out at quiet times. A person can only stick so much of being locked in.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

a case of not knowing, until you lose it

Keelansgrandad seems to have kept himself fit - however it is not simply down to what you want, as your health problems show

for my part I'm still ok, but have been warned that what was once taken for granted now has to be worked at, and a few weeks off takes far more time to get back into the sway

however I would suggest to anyone 'at risk' to try venturing out for exercise, drive to a quieter spot for a walk and a gaze at nature - will do wonders

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

however I would suggest to anyone 'at risk' to try venturing out for exercise, drive to a quieter spot for a walk and a gaze at nature - will do wonders

This is sound advice, this time of year early morning is a great time to be out when there's  hardly anyone else about. 

10 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Haven't been fishing in thirty years or more but there are plenty of bird reserves round this way and I have been a RSPB member since forever. I' m not really supposed to be out for another month but to be honest I feel it is now safe enough if I take extra care and only go out at quiet times. A person can only stick so much of being locked in.

The RSPB is a great organisation. 

Since lockdown one of the benefits has been seeing far more birds and more importantly hearing them first. I got one of those free apps of UK birdsong. Just the other day the lad and I heard and then saw a willow warbler helped by the app. As apps go its more encouraging than that Isle of Wight one!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Since lockdown one of the benefits has been seeing far more birds and more importantly hearing them first. I got one of those free apps of UK birdsong. Just the other day the lad and I heard and then saw a willow warbler helped by the app. As apps go its more encouraging than that Isle of Wight one!

With the traffic noise much reduced the birdsong is much more noticeable even here in NR2. The wood pigeons and collared doves are at it at the moment, a very relaxing sound on a still evening.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Dead right , pick your  moments  and soak it up. Cycling  along , minding your own business  , you are at minimal risk  . A handful of  Epsom salts  in the bath does wonders for knackered muscles.  I've hardly seen a soul in my 5km radius forays.  

45 minutes ago, sonyc said:

The RSPB are a bunch of Fascists with too much power and no idea about birds. They are run by idiots who only care about Predators, the larger the better, and are friends with lowlifes like Chris Packham and Mark Avery.

I'm not really bothered about the RSPB.

6 minutes ago, sonyc said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-52677203

Interesting development?

Yes saw that, along with some new treatment which is looking very positive in preventing the virus attacking the lungs so aggressively and shortening any treatment required. Very encouraging.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

With the traffic noise much reduced the birdsong is much more noticeable even here in NR2. The wood pigeons and collared doves are at it at the moment, a very relaxing sound on a still evening.

I would enjoy getting out some evening and listen to the relaxing sound of the small colony of Ringneck Parakeets that are establishing themselves in the city..well maybe relaxing is not the right word, but they've plenty of green in their coloring, just lacking a splash of yellow.

Check out the Moderna vaccine trials. Early results show that 'guinea pig' volunteers are showing the requisite antibody presence in their bloods.

These trials are due to continue for a year to determine longevity and safety. But it feels like a breakthrough. The pharma stock market certainly thinks so.

11 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

The RSPB are a bunch of Fascists with too much power and no idea about birds. They are run by idiots who only care about Predators, the larger the better, and are friends with lowlifes like Chris Packham and Mark Avery.

Don’t sit on the fence, tell us what you really think !

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

Took a chance today and had a bit of a ride round on my bike for the first time in eight weeks. It was very quiet and a pleasant change from just being in the garden. I don't  think Ive been in any danger but my bloody legs ache and I feel stiff as a board.🚲😷

Glad to see you've got out and about Ricky - as long as you have stayed well clear of people, you're pretty safe. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ricardo said:

Would they be your Peroni glasses....?

13 hours ago, Trevor Hockey's Beard said:

Well, this took a turn.

• Haha 1

I was taking the dog for a walk and pondering that I hadn't seen Ricardo posting and did have a fleeting worry. Glad to hear that you were taking exercise. What sort of bike have you got? Froome is considering leaving Ineos

I'll know we are in trouble when yourself and Bill stop posting. Worth every penny of the subscription free site we are on.

Off to golf again at 12.30. Seemed to have got it worked out well at the course. As they don't want you to touch the flags, my pal and I treated ourselves to some extra long gimmes.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

I was taking the dog for a walk and pondering that I hadn't seen Ricardo posting and did have a fleeting worry. Glad to hear that you were taking exercise. What sort of bike have you got? Froome is considering leaving Ineos

I'll know we are in trouble when yourself and Bill stop posting. Worth every penny of the subscription free site we are on.

Off to golf again at 12.30. Seemed to have got it worked out well at the course. As they don't want you to touch the flags, my pal and I treated ourselves to some extra long gimmes.

Its a Raleigh mountain bike. Mrs R bought it for my 50th birthday, which makes it older than many on here😁🚲

25 minutes ago, sonyc said:

And here comes the start of a blame game (in this case for testing shortcomings). As mentioned on here in many occasions, scientists are being dragged into the politics. Not a good look for a UK government.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-uk-lockdown-testing-therese-coffey-science-a9521626.html

I agree, ministers are responsible and they should protect those beneath them who are only doing their best in a very difficult situation. However, I dont think either side (and sides is, unfortunately, probably the best description of the vocal minorities) has got this entirely right.

Would you say it was, for instance, helpful that the government was effectively railroaded into revealing who sat on SAGE?

Experts in their field will be very reluctant to sit on an advisory board if there is an expectation that they could be held perosnally responsible.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, ricardo said:

... it kept huffing up my glasses.😉

Lovely turn of phrase......

21 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Would you say it was, for instance, helpful that the government was effectively railroaded into revealing who sat on SAGE?

Maybe not helpful but you can certainly argue that by putting someone like Cummings in that mix the Government created that problem for themselves.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Experts in their field will be very reluctant to sit on an advisory board if there is an expectation that they could be held perosnally responsible.

These Tory boys would throw their own mother under a  bus if it meant saving their own skins. The next few months will be an extended game of 'whos on the outside of the clique?.....theyll do for now ,at least its not me getting the flak'.  As recriminations build they will be only to willing to point fingers. .....expect carnage.