Jump to content
king canary

New Labour Leader

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

Congratulations to multi-millionaire, knight of the realm for being elected as head of the working people's party. Your creation of Labour's Brexit strategy was a wondrous thing to behold and we look forward to similar foobars in the coming years. Ps. Watch out for Momentum. 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What has his wealth got to do with anything? Why are you and other scumbags like The S*n using it as a stick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Herman said:

What has his wealth got to do with anything? Why are you and other scumbags like The S*n using it as a stick?

They're scared Herman - they knew they could easily beat Corbyn, they know that Starmer will be a far tougher opponent.

That's why good 'ol Rock The Bot is straight in there. 😂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Herman said:

What has his wealth got to do with anything? Why are you and other scumbags like The S*n using it as a stick?

It has a lot to do with it. Labour party, the so-called champions on diversity and minorities, when it came to the crunch, rejected all its non-white candidates, all its minority candidates, and once again all its women candidates. 

And who did it choose? A middle-aged, middle-class, rich, white man. 

And if you're telling me he was the most competent for the job then I offer you Labour's Brexit strategy as the project for which he is well known. 

Someone who has as much in common with the residents of Blyth Valley as his predecessor. 

Now compare that to the Conservatives who already have had two women leaders and two women prime minister's, one of whom was hopeless I will grant you, but a front bench of diversity, immigrant families and aspiration, as you would expect from a party that is open to anyone from any walk of life. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

It has a lot to do with it. Labour party, the so-called champions on diversity and minorities, when it came to the crunch, rejected all its non-white candidates, all its minority candidates, and once again all its women candidates. 

And who did it choose? A middle-aged, middle-class, rich, white man. 

And if you're telling me he was the most competent for the job then I offer you Labour's Brexit strategy as the project for which he is well known. 

Someone who has as much in common with the residents of Blyth Valley as his predecessor. 

Now compare that to the Conservatives who already have had two women leaders and two women prime minister's, one of whom was hopeless I will grant you, but a front bench of diversity, immigrant families and aspiration, as you would expect from a party that is open to anyone from any walk of life.

Starmer is intelligent, thoughtful, principled, honest, self-made from a working class background and goes by his first given name. He is everything that the current Prime Minister is not. He is the anti-Johnson.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ron obvious said:

Pollard is no friend of the Labour Party, as this piece demonstrates. He and the Jewish Chronicle has had a lot of free publicity on the back of anti-semitism in the Labour Party and it sounds that he regrets this is now coming to an end. Unable to lay a glove on Starmer he instead resorts to a show reel of criticism of the outgoing regime. As it happened Burgon came a disappointing third in the deputy election and RLB was well beaten, not even taking the contest to a second round. Furthermore, in the NEC elections every candidate on the slate of the left, including the BAME rep, lost to Progress backed candidates. Starmer can also replace Abbott, RLB and Trickett on the NEC as these hold Leader nominee positions. Labour has moved on. So should the Jewish Chronicle, back to a barely read local paper for leafy North London suburbs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Van wink said:

So are you pleased with his appointment BF

My only issue with him as leader is he is a touch on the boring side, maybe a touch too lawyerly. But in winning he will be able to free up a lot of the talent that Labour has that has been sidelined by Corbyn and his coterie.

That said after a few years of the current incumbent the country might welcome boring but capable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often wondered that if I was to walk into the room where the current cabinet was meeting then my presence would raise the collective IQ. And I'm as thick as ****

Whilst I am making a joke....anyway, I might welcome some new talent and serious thinking people coming into a shadow government. I was never convinced by Corbyn (perhaps he might have been okay on a former polytechnic board of trustees), nor MacDonald or Abbott. Maybe even more. 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BigFish said:

My only issue with him as leader is he is a touch on the boring side, maybe a touch too lawyerly. But in winning he will be able to free up a lot of the talent that Labour has that has been sidelined by Corbyn and his coterie.

That said after a few years of the current incumbent the country might welcome boring but capable.

He has a massive job to make Labour electable again, but it has been done before after seeing the party being trashed and I hope he succeeds. I fear the left now has a stronger grip than ever before and sadly the next few years may be more about internal battles than proper scrutiny of the government. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The main thing is that with Starmer we will have a credible and more so effective opposition. Something we have been sadly missing for the last few years. Johnson's political honeymoon and open goals has just ended.

I wish him well.

Edited by Yellow Fever

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Labour is in the grip of its momentum membership. Starmer will be faced with internal infighting that will dog him for the next five years. They will set traps for him like commiting to trans rights or something unimportant.  He will have no time to fight the government. 

Edited by Rock The Boat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

Labour is in the grip of its momentum membership. Starmer will be faced with internal infighting that will dog him for the next five years. They will set traps for him like commiting to trans rights or something unimportant.  He will have no time to fight the government. 

Except it isn't, is it RTB?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Someone who has as much in common with the residents of Blyth Valley as his predecessor. 

Now compare that to the Conservatives who already have had two women leaders and two women prime minister's, one of whom was hopeless I will grant you, but a front bench of diversity, immigrant families and aspiration, as you would expect from a party that is open to anyone from any walk of life. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Van wink said:

So are you pleased with his appointment BF

I wonder if Momentum, Jezzer, Maccy D, Lady Nugee, Lenin Mccluskey and Mrs Abbott are pleased?..... 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he has any chance he has to stand up to Momentum. Their brand of student politics belongs on the fringe parties, not the main opposition. He also needs to try and win back the old industrial heartlands Labour once took for granted, which won’t be easy seeing as it was his second referendum policy that handed large numbers of them to the Tories in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think it really matters to dyed in the wool Tories like some on here who will ruin a discussion by posting bull and lies.

The party as a whole clearly have changed direction. Not completely but several degrees to starboard. And for the moment we will hear little as the crisis deepens. But in 12 months time when hopefully it is at an end we will be back to proper governance and Boris will face a task to manage the crippled finances. And of course he will be given time after bailing out the country. So I do not see SKS having much opportunity in the next five years to recapture those voters who deserted the party because of Brexit and the swingers who didn't like Corbyn.

But by then, the Tories will have been in power for 15 years and unable to blame anything on anybody but themselves. And that will be where SKS will have to show his ability. He is slightly hamstrung by conference with some of his policies but his performance in taking the government to task will make or break him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

If he has any chance he has to stand up to Momentum. Their brand of student politics belongs on the fringe parties, not the main opposition. He also needs to try and win back the old industrial heartlands Labour once took for granted, which won’t be easy seeing as it was his second referendum policy that handed large numbers of them to the Tories in the first place.

Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn. Their policies played a small part but the failure of Labour has to be clearly at him and his advisors door. They were clearly unelectable for a long time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Herman said:

Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn. Their policies played a small part but the failure of Labour has to be clearly at him and his advisors door. They were clearly unelectable for a long time.

Corbyn was only part of Labour's problem. The other part was Momentum who are still there and will still pull the strings. Wait for the next party conference and all the looney motions that will come in, with the intention of tieing Starmer up in knots and commiting him to stuff he doesn't believe in. If he tries to get Momentum supporters out of positions of power the membership will start an internal war. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

Corbyn was only part of Labour's problem. The other part was Momentum who are still there and will still pull the strings. Wait for the next party conference and all the looney motions that will come in, with the intention of tieing Starmer up in knots and commiting him to stuff he doesn't believe in. If he tries to get Momentum supporters out of positions of power the membership will start an internal war. 

By all accounts a significant number of what you call "Momentum" voted for SKS. It is only in your fantasy imagination where the boogeymen called Momentum live under your bed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Starmer will very publicly gut Boris and his government over the next few months. Nothing like a focused political campaign to get everyone in the LP on the same side, and he'll be able to eject the loonies while he's doing that. The issue isn't if you are "Sir" it isn't if you are rich. The issue is what you do with the money you have and the moral leadership you provide. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure it might be longer than you think before SKS can get to grips Surfer. I think the Virus is going to be around for a while and the amount of Government spending is going to take any heat away from their policies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the BBC article about Steir Karmer's (say it out loud) shadow cabinet.

So what can we read from the appointments so far?

Those most associated with the Corbyn project are gone: John McDonnell had already said he was off. Today we learnt Ian Lavery and Jon Trickett are trundling up to the backbenches too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget dear old Barry G. Gonna miss the fella. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Herman said:

Don't forget dear old Barry G. Gonna miss the fella. 

The precision of pronunciation will be missed and of course the hair, which must be looking interesting now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

From the BBC article about Steir Karmer's (say it out loud) shadow cabinet.

So what can we read from the appointments so far?

Those most associated with the Corbyn project are gone: John McDonnell had already said he was off. Today we learnt Ian Lavery and Jon Trickett are trundling up to the backbenches too.

Surprising in a way, that it is very a sweeping out of Corbyn's gang but instead of reverting back to to the old faces from before this really is a new team. Unarguably stronger than their government counter-parts with the possible exception of Sunak, but even he after a good start has been blundering away so the jury is now out on him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...