Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
CanaryLegend

Prudence v Naviety

Recommended Posts

Ultimately will our level of investment cost us our involvement and break up of one of our best young teams?

For me to be cautious and sensible was the right approach, ie not go the Aston Villa £120m approach but surely £30m-£40m was more prudent given we could always offset relegation with player sales which sounds inevitable anyway now.

Our failure to improve our defence and buy a quality back up to Pukki is what will cost us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Herman said:

Did we even have £30-40 million to play around with??

A guaranteed best part of £200 million coming into the club over the next two season with this years money and parachute payments. Yes we get that in instalments but transfer fees and wages are also payed out over time 

Edited by JF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure naivety is the correct word. I don’t think anyone thought staying up with such little investment would be easy. I think the decisions were made with eyes completely wide open, knowing the likely consequences and accepting them. That’s not the same as going into it naively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s interesting that in the summer there appeared to be a good deal of buy-in to the strategy from supporters, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating....the reality of being so near yet so far doesn’t quite feel so good!

I said all along that we conceded far too readily last season and either needed a tweak in tactics or personnel as it would otherwise only get worse at the higher level.  Given that we didn’t do either, it can’t be that big a surprise to see our goals against tally being higher; nor our goals for being lower as we are playing better quality defences. The annoying thing is that I don’t think it would have taken that much to shift our degree of competitiveness.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Owners are happy though and the "project" is on course.. even thought no one on here can tell me what defines success for the project or the timescale for the project etc etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Kenny Foggo said:

Owners are happy though and the "project" is on course.. even thought no one on here can tell me what defines success for the project or the timescale for the project etc etc etc.

Maybe that’s because no one on here are the owners? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As with all the criticism, it's easy to be wise after the event.

I was happy with what we did in the close season and stand by it now. We just needed more luck.

If you add up the value of the players we bought in on loan and on free transfers it must be near that amount.

It doesn't make us clever to spend over the odds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The project solely appears to be about the financials. The non-financial impact of relegation on a team/club doesn’t appear to be have considered. 
 

If it’s so easy to bounce back from relegation with a load of money in the bank, why do so many teams fail to do so? It’s not all about money, there’s far more factors at play that make a team/club successful or otherwise. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole “we’ll bounce back” attitude seems to be based on keeping the Championship-winning squad together and them performing at the same or higher levels against a lower standard of opposition than this season.

I worry about the impact of relegation on the confidence of the players, I worry about the attitude of some players who may now think they’re too good to be playing in the Champs, and whether some will try and force a move after having their heads turned by more money than we can possibly offer. I worry that lightening won’t strike twice and we simply won’t get the results to go up, I worry about Farke losing his mojo....

I worry because it seems much more common sense to try and stay in this league now we’re here than readily accept relegation on the basis that we’ll go up again next season when all history has shown us that the Championship is rarely compliant in such a manner!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Branston Pickle said:

It’s interesting that in the summer there appeared to be a good deal of buy-in to the strategy from supporters, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating....the reality of being so near yet so far doesn’t quite feel so good!

I said all along that we conceded far too readily last season and either needed a tweak in tactics or personnel as it would otherwise only get worse at the higher level.  Given that we didn’t do either, it can’t be that big a surprise to see our goals against tally being higher; nor our goals for being lower as we are playing better quality defences. The annoying thing is that I don’t think it would have taken that much to shift our degree of competitiveness.

Totally agree with and been saying it all season. No one expected us to do a Villa nd spend £120m, and no-one expected us to repeat investment on the Naysmiths & Klose's of this world around £7-10m. 

But our scouting has been good and has proven that players like Hernendez, Zimmermann & Buendia are out there.  So I can't believe that players couldn't have been bought for around £5m more or less that would have improved the squad. Byram is an excellent addition at £750k, but the summer signings have been extremely poor with his exception and we always needed to improve our defence

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...even the signings we have made  were poor

Fahrmann...an expensive sub

Roberts ... less said the better

Amadou ...unfortunate that he was forced to play centre half at the start...but has now been available to play in his apparant favoured position of holding midfielder for a couple of months....the fact that he's seemingly 3rd choice for that role behind Tettey and Trybull indicates a 'no thanks' and a return to sender in the summer

Drmic.... came with a history of injury problems ...and has followed suit

Byram...decent back up for both full back positions...will be important next season one way or another

...a hit rate of 1 in 5 when looking to bolster our squad us clearly not good enough

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

This whole “we’ll bounce back” attitude seems to be based on keeping the Championship-winning squad together and them performing at the same or higher levels against a lower standard of opposition than this season.<snip>

Indeed, one wonders what will constitute success or failure next season. If we do not keep the squad together (... doubtful I think) and have to rebuild, what will be acceptable? Top half, play-offs? If we do keep much of the current playing roster, anything less than automatic promotion is going to be a fail I would have thought. If only we could hack in and get a copy of ‘The Webber Master Plan’!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Jobsworth Canary said:

The strategy is prudence with no ambition 

So everything is fine and dandy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Beetley Yellow said:

Indeed, one wonders what will constitute success or failure next season. If we do not keep the squad together (... doubtful I think) and have to rebuild, what will be acceptable? Top half, play-offs? If we do keep much of the current playing roster, anything less than automatic promotion is going to be a fail I would have thought. If only we could hack in and get a copy of ‘The Webber Master Plan’!

Anything less than promotion is failure next year, that’s the message one way or another that has been signalled by this seasons actions.

I’m not happy with our investment this year but the club has a plan and we were apparently promoted too soon, so they need to now enact it, but that has set themselves so that anything less than promotion next year, assuming relegation occurs, is failure.

My personal view is this is naive in the extreme, a calculated gamble this year would be far more likely to have kept us up  IMO than relying on finances to bounce you up to the premiership next season would be.

Relegation will affect confidence of those players that remain and will mean having to replace likely most or all of the PL quality we currently have. I’m fearful of our ability to bounce back at the first attempt and that’s if we keep Farke and a couple of our best assets, promotion from the championship is the biggest gamble there is in football.

Assuming we do bounce back building a stronger side than we currently have to avoid relegation next time is also going to be hard, Emi, Pukki, Cantwell, Aarons, Lewis and Godfrey will not be easily replaced when some or all depart, even like for like let alone improved upon to continue momentum. Webber has his work cut out for him.

I’m not calling for anyone’s heads at Carrow Road, but my overwhelming view of our position right now (particularly given points thrown away from winning positions) is that of a missed opportunity.

Edited by Monty13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

 

My personal view is this is naive in the extreme, a calculated gamble this year would be far more likely to have kept us up  IMO than relying on finances to bounce you up to the premiership next season would be.

 

Agree with this.

Bigger teams than us are spending more money every year to get out of the Champs and to financially dominate now are we going to say buy a top striker for 10+ million to replace Pukki for example?

If we are then it would have been better to buy a player or two for 5-10 million this season it would have made all the difference.

We never seem to have enough pace and power when we have ben promoted recently.

 

Edited by Fromage Frais

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×