Jump to content
Note to existing users - password reset is required Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

VAR at Carrow Road yesterday

Recommended Posts

Frustrating day for the one and only Simon Hooper, must have been waiting with baited breath to give a penalty or disallow one of our goals, hope the little fat weasel never graces our hallowed turf again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Well b back said:

After seeing the penalty that wasn’t given to Manchester City yesterday I am beginning to question it.

Couldn't believe that on MOTD. Cannot see how it wasn't considered an unfair challenge in the box. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

beginning to question it !

it is yet another stupid idea based on the nonsense that all football decsions * are absolute

I do not believe the offside law was about a player being a quarter of an inch 'offside'

Nor was the handball rule about the ball hitting part of your arm under any crcumstances

sadly though football has been infected with the saddos, those probably mild autism where everything has to be 'correct', where a game can be defined by nonsensical 'stats' and players have to be part of a formation.... like they are some motorcycle formation team

this **** needs to be removed just as the two linos standing on the goal line were

 

* call, do keep up with the cool jive daddio

Edited by Bill
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Couldn't believe that on MOTD. Cannot see how it wasn't considered an unfair challenge in the box. 

I guess where we thought this would help teams like us I guess we were wrong. Had we had committed that foul at Man Utd- penalty, had they car wouldn’t dear give it. Reckon from what I have seen so far it’s made it worse for the l8kes of us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem isn't VAR, it's how the premiership have chosen to implement it. If the ref explains his thinking and hasn't obviously not seen something then he won't be overturned. He can ask for the var opinion, but, the refs in the premiership won't do that due to their egos...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That tackle from Freeman looked little different to Buendia’s last season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Couldn't believe that on MOTD. Cannot see how it wasn't considered an unfair challenge in the box. 

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Players tugging each other which the ref saw as 50/50 and let go. Nothing for VAR to overturn.

Can't see what all the fuss is about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Six of one and half a dozen of the other. Players tugging each other which the ref saw as 50/50 and let go. Nothing for VAR to overturn.

Can't see what all the fuss is about.

Defender has his arm round the attackers neck, drags him down from behind. Be reasonable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Defender has his arm round the attackers neck, drags him down from behind. Be reasonable. 

Not like it hasn't been going on for years. The ref certainly saw it and deemed it not worth a penalty so not an obvious error. Play on, its something you see let go every week.

The arguments are no different to the arguments about refs decisions without VAR. Some will always be questionable, its the nature of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surely the ref not seeing the handball wasn't a "clear and obvious mistake" so the goal shouldn't have been overturned? I struggle to reconcile how the handball is so important that it has to be enforced by VAR but the penalty is not and can't be triggered by VAR? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VAR should be our friend this season and I remain convinced it will be. However, wait for the refs who will not review / change opinion when the opportunity arises for the smaller teams against the big boys.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Surely the ref not seeing the handball wasn't a "clear and obvious mistake" so the goal shouldn't have been overturned? I struggle to reconcile how the handball is so important that it has to be enforced by VAR but the penalty is not and can't be triggered by VAR? 

Because all goals are checked.

VAR does not automatically check every other decision unless deemed obviously wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Early on, Pukki could easily have gone down under a challenge, but rode it, and created a chance for Cantwell. That would have been pretty straight forward for Mr Hooper you would have thought, but he does have history of course, and that may have influenced Teemu's decision to take the tackle or ride it. 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aarons was booked for a pull back on Ritchie yesterday. Ritchie had already been spoken to for his virtual off the ball foul on Aarons earlier. Second half Ritchie returns the compliment of pulling back Aarons and no booking. He could well have been off for two yellow cards with another ref.

VAR can only go so far and as it can't go all the way then I think its a waste of time. Goal line technology has worked because it is factual.

I think Ricardo is right to a point about the ManC penalty. But at the end of the day, he was eventually wrestled to the ground by his neck. Oliver didn't consider it a penalty and VAR didn't think there were grounds to say he had made an error. So why didn't they suggest he come and look at it again and then the final decision would be with the onfield official, which it always should be, in my VAR opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Aarons was booked for a pull back on Ritchie yesterday. Ritchie had already been spoken to for his virtual off the ball foul on Aarons earlier. Second half Ritchie returns the compliment of pulling back Aarons and no booking. He could well have been off for two yellow cards with another ref.

VAR can only go so far and as it can't go all the way then I think its a waste of time. Goal line technology has worked because it is factual.

I think Ricardo is right to a point about the ManC penalty. But at the end of the day, he was eventually wrestled to the ground by his neck. Oliver didn't consider it a penalty and VAR didn't think there were grounds to say he had made an error. So why didn't they suggest he come and look at it again and then the final decision would be with the onfield official, which it always should be, in my VAR opinion.

Lots of penalty decisions are purely subjective so you have to go with the refs view. The only improvement that might satisfy people is a challenge system as in the NFL where a manager can request a review. It would have course need to be limited to say one challenge per half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Surely the ref not seeing the handball wasn't a "clear and obvious mistake" so the goal shouldn't have been overturned? I struggle to reconcile how the handball is so important that it has to be enforced by VAR but the penalty is not and can't be triggered by VAR? 

This was disallowed because of a law change. Not a subjective decision. The ball hitting a hand in the build up to a goal is automatically disallowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

This was disallowed because of a law change. Not a subjective decision. The ball hitting a hand in the build up to a goal is automatically disallowed. 

And a foul in the penalty area SHOULD automatically result in a penalty.

It's the inconsistency in how VAR is applied that's irritating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Surely the ref not seeing the handball wasn't a "clear and obvious mistake" so the goal shouldn't have been overturned? I struggle to reconcile how the handball is so important that it has to be enforced by VAR but the penalty is not and can't be triggered by VAR? 

Completely agree, some very strange logic involved in the way they seem to be using VAR this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Completely agree, some very strange logic involved in the way they seem to be using VAR this season.

The powers that be have decided that a handball in the scoring/build up to a goal is something they don't like and don't want to see happening anymore. As long as the rule is applied consistently I'm fine with that. (And that cheating little **** Danny Haynes would have had that goal ruled out in 2006 - not that I'm bitter - or hold grudges for long periods of time 😆 )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

And a foul in the penalty area SHOULD automatically result in a penalty.

It's the inconsistency in how VAR is applied that's irritating.

However the ref did not see it as a foul so therefore no penalty. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The powers that be have decided that a handball in the scoring/build up to a goal is something they don't like and don't want to see happening anymore. As long as the rule is applied consistently I'm fine with that. (And that cheating little **** Danny Haynes would have had that goal ruled out in 2006 - not that I'm bitter - or hold grudges for long periods of time 😆 )

The ball deflected off a Man City hand towards another Man City player who put it in the net. It matters not, according to the law, whether it was accidental or intentional. It is not a goal.

You may not like the rule but VAR was correct in saying no goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Completely agree, some very strange logic involved in the way they seem to be using VAR this season.

There is nothing wrong with VAR. The penalty incident was seen by the ref who didn't think it was a foul. It was a subjective decision that others may not agree with. For my part I thought it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. 

Jamie Vardy has made a living out of winning fouls by affecting close contact with defenders. He did it this afternoon against Chelsea but the ref correctly refused to buy it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, ricardo said:

There is nothing wrong with VAR. The penalty incident was seen by the ref who didn't think it was a foul. It was a subjective decision that others may not agree with. For my part I thought it was six of one and half a dozen of the other. 

Jamie Vardy has made a living out of winning fouls by affecting close contact with defenders. He did it this afternoon against Chelsea but the ref correctly refused to buy it.

 

The technology seems to work pretty well but the way and the when of it being used is another thing altogether. The penalty incident wasn't a subjective decision - the replay  and presumably therefore the VAR quite clearly showed the attacker dragged down from behind by a defender with his arm round the striker's neck.

If the ref did see the incident, then it falls into the 'clear and obvious' error because there is no possible interpretation of the rules in which that wasn't a foul.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

The technology seems to work pretty well but the way and the when of it being used is another thing altogether. The penalty incident wasn't a subjective decision - the replay  and presumably therefore the VAR quite clearly showed the attacker dragged down from behind by a defender with his arm round the striker's neck.

If the ref did see the incident, then it falls into the 'clear and obvious' error because there is no possible interpretation of the rules in which that wasn't a foul.

 

I don't know how many more times I need to explain it. The ref decided it wasn't a foul. The fact that you and several others did, is neither here nor there. It wasnt a foul because the ref didn't give it, not because he didn't see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

The powers that be have decided that a handball in the scoring/build up to a goal is something they don't like and don't want to see happening anymore. As long as the rule is applied consistently I'm fine with that. (And that cheating little **** Danny Haynes would have had that goal ruled out in 2006 - not that I'm bitter - or hold grudges for long periods of time 😆 )

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

The ball deflected off a Man City hand towards another Man City player who put it in the net. It matters not, according to the law, whether it was accidental or intentional. It is not a goal.

You may not like the rule but VAR was correct in saying no goal.

Is this your entry for non-sequitur of the year Ricardo?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a bad decision by Oliver not to give a pen. I believe the majority of football fans would agree it was a pen and we would all be livid if that hadn’t been given to us, both during and for a long time after the game (we still talk about Jeromes ‘goal’). However we’ve now seen in 2 weekends that a clear decision has been made not to use VAR to undermine the referee, so unless it’s a factual decision that the on field ref has got wrong, it won’t be overturned. Proof VAR is not going to solve all of footballs problems because it’s mostly about opinions.

Yes it’s a subjective decision but even live it looked more of a pen than not so Oliver’s decision (much like cricket) should’ve been a soft call of pen which would then be reviewed by VAR in case of an obvious error by the ref.

Oliver was probably a little unsighted, too many tears in his eyes from seeing his beloved Newcastle stuffed earlier in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep - the ref has the final say. VAR is only there to inform the referee/assistants if they failed to see something OR if they have awarded something, but may not have seen the whole story (i.e. review of a penalty decision). If Oliver says he saw the incident and did not deem it a penalty, it is not going to be reviewed. Which, in my opinion, is fine. Otherwise it will be all reviewing and no game.

I do think that shoulders offside are contentious, but I am sure I will mellow about it in time. It is just that we have the technology now to ensure rules are enforced to their maximum ability. If players are playing that close to the final defender, they now run the risk that they will be called offside if their move leads to a goal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Over the past few months I have been unable to believe how he Premiership have mucked up something simple.

Posters have commented how both Rugby codes have had similar VAR systems for years which work so well. The min question asked by Rugby refs is 'Is there any reason I cannot award a try?' Surely such a question can be asked in football - can I award a goal/penalty etc and have the discussion between ref and VAR heard.

Don't make it too awkward bringing in rules which we the spectators/plastics don't/can't understand Football can a simple game if it is allowed to be. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×