Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Look, British tap water is the best in the world, there never was any need to drink this foreign stuff anyway. Besides, if you must drink from a bottle there is Malvern Water. 

Water.jpg

3 hours ago, Yellow Fever said:

The far bigger story was  the loss of EU Financial 'Equivalence 'and Sunak trying hopelessly to spin it as a positive. The cost of this dwarfs Nissan.

Yeah, funny how that story "disappeared" from the press coverage ... 

15 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Look, British tap water is the best in the world, there never was any need to drink this foreign stuff anyway. Besides, if you must drink from a bottle there is Malvern Water. 

Water.jpg

Although you can get it in Northern Ireland😂

43 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

WAGES FOR THE BRITISH !

We have had Tory Governments for 28 of the last 41 years, yet we have seen industry after industry sold off to other countries and the FTSE100 containing very few British companies.

Of course there are wages for the British workers. But the profits go out of the country in many cases.

Down here in Cornwall, many of the houses are owned by British people, but they are from London or elsewhere but spend no money down here because they bring their own essentials when they visit once a month. 

So although they are British owned, they do not benefit Cornwall.

See the analogy?

14 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

We have had Tory Governments for 28 of the last 41 years, yet we have seen industry after industry sold off to other countries and the FTSE100 containing very few British companies.

Of course there are wages for the British workers. But the profits go out of the country in many cases.

Down here in Cornwall, many of the houses are owned by British people, but they are from London or elsewhere but spend no money down here because they bring their own essentials when they visit once a month. 

See the analogy?

Not keen on pasties then?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

WAGES FOR THE BRITISH !

Not back to that old bit of tosh, Brits don’t want the jobs in hospitality, driving, fruit picking ect, yet you told us they would.

5 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Not back to that old bit of tosh, Brits don’t want the jobs in hospitality, driving, fruit picking ect, yet you told us they would.

As I was writing about the Nissan factory, I don't think any of those jobs will come to the fore and the British will do any job if the wages are right.

2 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

See the analogy?

They pay the council tax water and gas in these houses and anything they forget to pack plus they fill up their cars in Cornwall

6 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

They pay the council tax water and gas in these houses and anything they forget to pack plus they fill up their cars in Cornwall

All things Cornish youngsters would love to do in their own houses on a daily basis in the county that they were born in.

Edited by horsefly
  • Confused 1

the FT Weekend reports that London is once again Europe's largest share trading centre, taking the crown from Amsterdam. About €40bn (£33.3bn) of deals are completed each day in the City, the paper adds, and London's share of the European market has gradually increased in recent months as the UK resumed trading in Swiss stocks.

London has reclaimed its position as Europe's top trading hub according to the TIMES today. Great news, though no doubt it will disappoint the anti-British EU loving Remainers !

Edited by SwindonCanary

16 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

the FT Weekend reports that London is once again Europe's largest share trading centre, taking the crown from Amsterdam. About €40bn (£33.3bn) of deals are completed each day in the City, the paper adds, and London's share of the European market has gradually increased in recent months as the UK resumed trading in Swiss stocks.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-02/london-edges-back-ahead-of-amsterdam-as-europe-s-top-trading-hub

An average 8.92 billion euros ($10.6 billion) of shares a day were traded on various London venues in June, compared with 8.8 billion euros for various Dutch venues, according to data from Cboe Europe.

While London’s return to the top spot is a welcome boost for a U.K. finance industry buffeted by Brexit, the city’s lead over Amsterdam is a fraction of what it was before the end of the transition period.

Looks like they've still got a lot of catching up to do to recover what they have lost in previous months.

11 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

As I was writing about the Nissan factory, I don't think any of those jobs will come to the fore and the British will do any job if the wages are right.

That wasn’t what Nigel was talking about as the Europeans you kicked out didn’t do those jobs as you well know.

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

No doubt it will disappoint the anti-British EU loving Remainers !

When you asked for examples of British exceptionalism I gave you loads, you only gave us one and that wasn't true.

Nothing is more anti-British than telling lies about the country we all want the best for.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

They can't even pronounce them properly mate. They call them paystis.

Well pay is very important to them.

11 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

You do not know what you are talking about.

How many Cornish Fuel companies do you know of?

They were getting relief on their Council Tax. Admittedly, the Council has seen sense and altered that.

How many Cornish Water and Gas companies do you know of?

Cornershops and Pubs are closing in some Cornish villages because the village is half empty during the week. And the visitors bring their Harrods delivery down with them when they bother to come.

A friend of mine has just got £20K more for his flat because the woman who bought it wants somewhere for her daughter to crash when she comes down to Cornwall.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, keelansgrandad said:

They were getting relief on their Council Tax. Admittedly, the Council has seen sense and altered that.

Cornershops and Pubs are closing in some Cornish villages because the village is half empty during the week. And the visitors bring their Harrods delivery down with them when they bother to come.

A friend of mine has just got £20K more for his flat because the woman who bought it wants somewhere for her daughter to crash when she comes down to Cornwall.

I'm on your side here KG. 2nd homes anywhere need to be discouraged. Some changes to property tax (or a new one)  - i.e. rate of 2 % above local house price inflation of their value per annum or higher. Make them a very expensive money losing investment not a win win for the owner..

I assume that this is becoming a bigger problem in Norfolk now. Parts of Suffolk are off limits now due to the cost of housing. 

1 hour ago, keelansgrandad said:

I know exactly what I'm  talking about it's not the fuel companies it's the people who work in them

As you said the council has seen sense, but before they were still paying even if it was not the full amount

they do bring stuff with them but as I wrote somethings are forgotten 

House prices on rise all over the country 

7 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

I know exactly what I'm  talking about it's not the fuel companies it's the people who work in them

As you said the council has seen sense, but before they were still paying even if it was not the full amount

Yeah! Swindon is well known as a real pull for second home buyers in search of a beautiful retreat.

Houses are cheap there now brexit has closed all the factories. 😀

26 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

know exactly what I'm  talking about

IMG_20210703_135704.jpg

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

More complete b0ll0x from Frost, "theological", "frozen in time", he's an embarrassment.

The BTL comments are fantastic. Our Irish friends are having none of those clown's nonsense.

"Well, what a tutorial on the perfidy of Perfidious Albion. Projecting sincerity of motives, It is simply a threatening letter telling us that they intend to keep playing the Orange Card unless they and the DUP get their way and break the Protocol, just like the Tories did from the late C19 up to the enactment of Home Rule in 1914 with the seditious unhindered German gun-running for the UVF, Tory treasonous backing for the threat of violence to break Home Rule with a Unionist "Provisional Government" in the North, and the sedition and treason of the British Army in the Curragh Mutiny." Sean St Lawrence.

"Why would we give these two liars a platform, that's what the Telegraph, Mail and Express are for. The UK spent five years negotiating a deal, their lying, fornicating prime minister, Johnson, said it was "oven ready" (he was right insofar as it's a turkey of a deal) and signed it. Within months Johnson and his sycophantic third rate Cabinet are reneging on the deal. They are regarded with universal contempt across Europe, we should just do the same and Brussels handle them." Noelle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

What petrol station do you know that has staff? Its one person.

And if a local was living in the house they would have been paying full whack. And using the pub and cornershop.

I haven't forgotten anything. I see the villages. I see the house price rises. I see my own house rise £60K in 12 months.

• Like 2