Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

I hate to get too far into this as its complicated - (much too complicated for SC and PM) but

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-key-differences-between-the-eu-and-uk-astrazeneca-contracts/

Just for laughs I'll bring out an odd point. Have to send some chillers to the above as they'll no no doubt need calming down..... 

AstraZeneca CEO Pascal Soriot made the argument that the U.K. had better vaccine supply because the U.K. signed an agreement for vaccines months earlier than the EU. Formally, this isn’t true: The U.K. contract was signed on August 28, while the EU’s was signed a day earlier on August 27. 

27 minutes ago, SwindonCanary said:

EVEN THE EU ARE SEEING WHAT'S WRONG image.thumb.png.6f5424a43f18cb58a916a005cd1d5967.png

The Spanish MEP you are promoting is a N a z i.

SwindonCanary has a history of posting misinformation on many subjects, this is another example of such misinformation.

That is all you need to know about this post.

Edited by A Load of Squit

14 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The EU made a BIG mistake in not getting their order in fast enough, so they were further down the list.

Britain does not own the rights to vaccine produced here but once again it was first to get their order in, so others have to wait.   

No they don't.

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

The Spanish MEP you are promoting is a N a z i.

SwindonCanary has a history of posting misinformation on many subjects, this is another example of such misinformation.

That is all you need to know about this post.

There's a surprise. Every far right-wing MEP in the EU is anti-EU so why the RWNJ post this sort of tripe and think it is significant is beyond me. It's the equivalent of saying George Galloway hates the Tories. Well duh!!!

ANDREW Marr ripped into EU chief Mairead McGuinness after the bloc threatened a vaccine export ban to the UK despite millions of doses being held in storage unused.

Can someone remind me, is this the Brexit thread or has it turned into the Covid thread mark 2?

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

ANDREW Marr ripped into EU chief Mairead McGuinness after the bloc threatened a vaccine export ban to the UK despite millions of doses being held in storage unused.

Sounds like she answered his questions in a calm and fair way.

Mr Marr put the vaccine storage issue to Ms McGuinness who replied: "I've read those comments and frankly none of us has had a great Covid. 

"I think all of us should put our hands up and say we were not prepared for this pandemic. 

"We did not do our best at the beginning but we are doing our best now to protect our citizens. 

"And I think that's exactly where Europe is focused right now.

"And once everyone is protected we are safe."

Ms McGuinness continued: "So I think that we all need to calm down, look 'dispassionately' at the situation if you like around the raw materials surrounding the vaccines and where they are produced. 

"And think how might we ramp up that production. 

"But more importantly, I think a lot of experts are saying that we need to be prepared for other variants because we know that the UK variant has spread widely and it harder to treat."

Which part of her answer are you objecting to?

Finally, I have discovered a story about Covid vaccination that does have a genuine brexit connection:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/prime-minister-to-call-on-eu-leaders-to-veto-vaccine-export-blocks/ar-BB1eOMLK?ocid=msedgdhp

If we had remained in the EU we could have still made exactly the same choices about vaccine authorisation and roll-out that we have made so far; Dr June Raine and Kate Bingham have both confirmed this. However, if we were still members of the EU we would not now be endangered by the EU's legal right to ban the export of vaccines to non-EU countries. Our hard won "sovereignty" does not translate into anything close to an independent ability to produce sufficient vaccines.

The government are quite rightly worried about this prospect and needs to act carefully to ensure a constructive resolution of this situation. It certainly won't be helped by this stunningly naive piece of hypocracy voiced by Ben Wallace on the Sophie Ridge show:

“If contracts and undertakings get broken, that is a very damaging thing to happen for a trading bloc which prides itself on the rule of law,” he said.

“It would be counterproductive because the one thing we know about vaccine production and manufacturing is that it is collaborative.

“If we start to unpick that, if the commission were to start to do that, I think they would undermine not only their citizens’ chances of having a proper vaccine programme, but also many other countries around the world with the reputational damage to the EU, I think, they would find very hard to change over the short term.”

This from the party that has repeatedly threatened to break the Withdrawal Agreement it signed a year ago, and in doing so break international law. I suppose one should at least be glad that government ministers recognise what damage such threats can do to a trading block/country's reputation. Just a shame they seem intellectually incapable of applying the same simple logic to the UK itself. You couldn't make it up! 

Explained by AstraZeneca's chief executive Pascal Soriot in an interview.  'We basically signed an agreement with the UK three months before we did it with Europe,' Soriot said. 'So they had a head start. We were able to quite quickly take the UK supply chain and improve it.'  

Verhofstadt also pointed out: 'The EU contract is based on an 'estimated time schedule', full stop. In the British contract, by contrast, there is a precisely described procedure to guarantee a timely delivery of doses.'

In other words, the British negotiated a much better and more thorough deal. This is quite something from Guy Verhofstadt, who had been more voluble in his denunciations of Brexit than perhaps any other European politician.

As part of the manifesto and Brexit we were assured the British army would not be reduced, so I suppose axeing 10,000 of them was always the plan.

34 minutes ago, Well b back said:

As part of the manifesto and Brexit we were assured the British army would not be reduced, so I suppose axeing 10,000 of them was always the plan.

Fanatastic technological weapons don't manage to take and contain prisoners.

On 20/03/2021 at 07:16, horsefly said:

I can only assume that the Tory "Sturgeon must resign" clan didn't make it onto the table after receiving little government support remembering the proven bully and ministerial code-breaker Preeti Patel is still in office at Johnson's behest.

Well, they didn't stay in the chart for very long.😀

• Haha 1

On 21/03/2021 at 11:17, Well b back said:

Are you all ignoring him now ?. If so I will join you as his vaccine discussions have nothing to do with Brexit other than being discussed to keep Johnson in a job and make people believe Brexit was a success as The EU do not know what they are doing. If that’s the case then not sure how they managed to stitch us up with a deal that our government didn’t even understand.

Yes definitely, and Paul M as well - you have been incredibly patient and tried an entirely fact based approach with them but unfortunately, as you are discovering, they are entirely impervious to facts, reason and logic, so ignoring them is really the only sane approach to take.

Personally I find it very difficult to decide whether they are genuinely as delusional and stupid as they appear or whether they are just a couple of trolls who enjoy trying to wind people up but ignoring them works either way 😀

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Well, they didn't stay in the chart for very long.😀

No, but I'm really looking forward to hearing what the obnoxious Grade A Tory hypocrite Ruth Davidson comes up with next 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Aye. Seems like the only thing we have exported to Europe these last few months is the Kent variant. 😉

• Haha 1

The EU is not threatening blocking exports of the vaccine,  it's blocking exports to the UK. Exports to over a 100 other countries are absolutely fine. Look it up - it's just the EU spitting its dummy out again.

12 hours ago, Well b back said:

No wonder our fish are happy, they are not wanted for food anymore, I suspect our cows, sheep and pigs are happy as well. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/uk.finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/news/brexit-uk-salmon-exports-to-eu-crash-98-134750686.html

Wasn't it what a lot of our fisherman, farmers and the like voted for. I guess they are happy too ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

Wasn't it what a lot of our fisherman, farmers and the like voted for. I guess they are happy too ?

Don't worry about them, they'll be fine. Shrewd investment means that any time now their bank balances will bulge with the millions deposited by a grateful Nigerian prince.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, SwindonCanary said:

The EU is not threatening blocking exports of the vaccine,  it's blocking exports to the UK. Exports to over a 100 other countries are absolutely fine. Look it up - it's just the EU spitting its dummy out again.

It's not just the EU but the remoaners on here also....... 🤗

Edited by paul moy

18 hours ago, Herman said:

Aye. Seems like the only thing we have exported to Europe these last few months is the Kent variant. 😉

The fact that we found it here does not mean that it started here, and it probably did not.  It is even in the Philippines which has had closed borders for the past year.