Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Remember when the Express (along with every other Brexit loon) banged on and on about how much more the EU needed the UK than the UK needed the EU? Good to see that the map they published showed so clearly how right they were 😂

Web capture_27-12-2023_142841_twitter.com.jpeg

1 hour ago, Herman said:

You're so predictable. That doesn't really say whether I am pro or anti. Merely a suggestion that could be popular. 

He's scrapped the second bit too just to add. 

Off birdie goes to trawl the archive. 😁

In what universe can 'scrap HS2' be ambiguous as to being against the project?

56 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Explain why the (non-EU) UK's extraordinarily **** rail system should be incorporated into the EU's strategic railway plan.

I don't see why it should. The more I look at this story, the more I'm amazed anyone's fussed, whether it's you or the Express. The map shows it stopping at Dover, which seems good enough.

6 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I don't see why it should. The more I look at this story, the more I'm amazed anyone's fussed, whether it's you or the Express. The map shows it stopping at Dover, which seems good enough.

Erm! It was you who said, "Rational people would see it as petulance when cooperation, whether we're in or out of the EU, is a win-win". So perhaps you would like to explain the "win" that the EU has missed out on by not including the non-EU UK in its EU rail strategy.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

A pint of Champagne.

The sh!t show continues.

A full and clear explanation from a wine importer/expert.

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Herman said:

A full and clear explanation from a wine importer/expert.

It appears that none of the bottle makers ( that nearly all come from outside the U.K. ) don’t and won’t put wine into bottles showing pints.

• Like 1

British born man to be deported to Portugal

Interesting story. I wonder how the Portuguese authorities regard his status? Perhaps they will send him straight back?

My understanding, undoubtedly incomplete, is that he is eligible for Portuguese citizenship, but presumably hasn't applied for it. 

Is Portugal obliged to give him citizenship and let him in?

1 hour ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

British born man to be deported to Portugal

Interesting story. I wonder how the Portuguese authorities regard his status? Perhaps they will send him straight back?

My understanding, undoubtedly incomplete, is that he is eligible for Portuguese citizenship, but presumably hasn't applied for it. 

Is Portugal obliged to give him citizenship and let him in?

If I were Portuguese I wouldn't want him.  I don't really want him here either.

I've no idea if they have to take him though. It's a bit like the Shemina Begum thing I guess.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Well b back said:

It appears that none of the bottle makers ( that nearly all come from outside the U.K. ) don’t and won’t put wine into bottles showing pints.

I cant see big demand for wine by the pint. I'm sure a few providers will do it for the novelty but it won't change anyone's world.

The bigger change might be in allowing still and sparkling wines to be sold in a range of sizes. Mildly interesting to see how that pans out.

Overall though this is just a tiny, tiny thing probably designed in part to get people all excited over nothing. Which it seems to have done!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Well b back said:

IMG_20231228_120705.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, horsefly said:

Remember when the Express (along with every other Brexit loon) banged on and on about how much more the EU needed the UK than the UK needed the EU? Good to see that the map they published showed so clearly how right they were 😂

Web capture_27-12-2023_142841_twitter.com.jpeg

There be dragons...

Or naked tribes painted blue with wode.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Is that an Imperial or US pint ?

A pint is 570ml .....rather than 750ml....perhaps those (Brexiters?) in that queue have a form of dyslexia? 😉

Just now, sonyc said:

A pint is 570ml .....rather than 750ml....perhaps those (Brexiters?) in that queue have a form of dyslexia? 😉

Yes -  I love the cartoon  - fools and their money etc. The US (smaller) measure always amused me when over there - including their 'gallons' if I recall (about 7 proper pints - think it was 1/8 tax). Always worth knowing when comparing cars mpg!  

2 hours ago, sonyc said:

A common order for one person in French restaurants is a 50cl (570ml) carafe of wine, nicely poised between half a bottle - too little - and a whole bottle. So not dissimilar to the amount in a pint.But, no, I cannot see wine producers thinking 50cl bottles would be a good idea.

On 24/12/2023 at 21:48, littleyellowbirdie said:

For all its failures, the processes of UK government are still far more transparent than those of the EU, and parliamentarians far more accessible to the public.

In theory and in the past perhaps so, but certainly not in recent years under this sh*tshow series of Tory governments which have reduced Government transparency as far as possible and by every means possible up to and including destroying records and then telling outright lies to Parliamentary committees, Public Enquiries and of course all of us poor mugs.

Likewise corruption - used to be a significant problem in parts of the EU, but as they've cleaned their act the UK has been going completely in the opposite direction. I can't say I put much store in their conclusions but you used to be very fond of quoting Transparency International's CPI index as proof of how clean and transparent the UK was but you've haven't mentioned them in quite a while. I guess that might because the UK plummeted (almost 10 places I think) in last year's index and I should imagine another fall will be coming for this year.

So if even they have belatedly woken up to the reality that things are a lot less rosy in the UK than they used to be, maybe you should also re-appraise.

Seriously: What rights have been removed? Can you name them?

Of course I can name them, as indeed can you, and for your additional convenience the most egregious example has already been mentioned several times recently on this thread. But I'm afraid this is another problem which makes it impossible to have a reasonable discussion with you - you appear to have a cognitive dissonance issue whenever inconvenient facts are posted which contradict your (apparently infallible) opinion and any further discussion just becomes a waste of time - I may possibly have mentioned this before but you've exceeded your time wasting quota for this month so I'll leave you to it for a while.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

A common order for one person in French restaurants is a 50cl (570ml) carafe of wine, nicely poised between half a bottle - too little - and a whole bottle. So not dissimilar to the amount in a pint.But, no, I cannot see wine producers thinking 50cl bottles would be a good idea.

Indeed! But carafes filled from 75cl bottles. We in the UK tend to order wine by the glass in bars and restaurants if we don't want the full bottle. In both cases there has never been a need for 50cl bottles.

1 hour ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Funny that you say you can answer something, but don't. Instead, you bang on about how it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion when nothing unreasonable has been said.

Sounds a lot like evasion to me. Fact is, the rights of Brits haven't changed as a result of leaving the EU.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Wine growing in England's South East is expanding rapidly due to climate change. The industry here seems to be going in the opposite direction to that in France, which is reportedly declining.

https://www.theccc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/Outcomes-Wine-case-study.pdf

Selling wine in pint bottles seems a daft idea and would probably be restricted to the homeland. However, it may not be for the English wine growers, making it a unique selling point for their product.

English wine is still relatively expensive due to limitations of availability, but is nevertheless increases in sales year upon year along with increased production.

English wine in pint bottles could be a pull in English pubs, increasing demand and prosperity of the business and reducing the cost of it. It might then even catch on in the cafes of Calais.

Edited by BroadstairsR

4 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

As far as i know It's not currently unlawful to sell still wine in 500ml bottles.  I dont see a lot of 500ml bottles on sale so you are probably right. It's sparkling wine that cannot be sold in 500ml quantities   (But can be sold by then the 200, unlike still wine- which cannot).

I'm not sure why a really small change is causing so much conversation, but I'm happy to jump in because the TV right now is a bit slow)

For what it's worth I'm very mildly in favour of the change (it may open up some very niche areas for UK production and sales and could add to consumer choice) but it constitutes 0.00005% of things that concern me right now.  

Edited by Barbe bleu

It's another idea that died as soon as the government announced it. A vampire policy that is destroyed by daylight.

I thought wine drinking was a diminishing market anyway both here in the UK and globally too. The young are moving away from it. Being young at heart I concur. Only drink wine very rarely.

50 minutes ago, horsefly said:

To quote from the article - 

“Where we are at the moment is that we’re still waiting, still hoping that there is a **** of common sense on the horizon,”

Common sense was voted out in 2016.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

To quote from the article - 

“Where we are at the moment is that we’re still waiting, still hoping that there is a **** of common sense on the horizon,”

Common sense was voted out in 2016.

We have minister for common sense, she'll be on the case, expect results soon.

• Haha 4

I still laugh at the fact that all these polls ask questions about how people think the UK is doing economically, but economics simply wasn't a motivating factor for leave voters on the whole. Maybe for James Dyson, but that's a pretty niche case.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

49 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

I still laugh at the fact that all these polls ask questions about how people think the UK is doing economically, but economics simply wasn't a motivating factor for leave voters on the whole. Maybe for James Dyson, but that's a pretty niche case.

90% of people who voted leave thought economics was something to do with cookery classes at school. 

• Haha 2

55 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

20.9% are economically inactive in the UK (2023 estimate) largely dominated by pensioners. I wonder what the correlation is with the 22% ...

I guess the clear majority aren't now laughing at all.

• Like 1

I usually have a pints of wine. I find 2 bottles splits nicely into 3 pints with the third pint having enough space at the top for wobbles!

• Haha 2