Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

47 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

Yet you conveniently forget all the tariff free agricultural products coming into the UK. You got your own way with Brexit. Its done and we have to suffer the consequences. But do not roll out rubbish like this deal to make out the citizens of the UK will be better off.

If leaving the UK means that we are free to negotiate deals to the detriment of our own farmers then what an achievement.

Yeah but think of all that Pacific Rim mingĀ coming our way.šŸ˜‰

Edited by ricardo

6 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Ā 

On the subject of import or export of goods, Brexit is unremittingly negative.

Well, that's alright then.Ā 

There was me thinking Brexit was damaging the economy to the detriment of every British citizen and the Treasury.

Edited by Surfer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

About the same level as I found Ā£5 but lost 74p. All Asia is care.

I struggle to understand this comment BB.Ā 

ALS's "This is replacing the 4 quid you threw away with 8p you found down the back of the sofa" clearlyĀ relates to the OBR predictions that few doubt.

CPTPP has a long, long way to go to even meet it's present aspirations. IĀ notedĀ a few months back there where alreadyĀ disputes between parties about obeying the rules - and it was goingĀ to need commission withĀ teeth else it will be nothing but words.Ā Give it say 30Ā years like the EU to get itsĀ act fully together. Of course the big falloutĀ will be China joiningĀ - myĀ guess is thatĀ many of the non-alignedĀ smaller parties would quiteĀ like that.

42 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Ā Of course the big falloutĀ will be China joiningĀ - myĀ guess is thatĀ many of the non-alignedĀ smaller parties would quiteĀ like that.

China isn't joining the cptpp.Ā Ā 

Ā 

8 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

China isn't joining the cptpp.Ā Ā 

Ā 

That's to be decided. It has applied toĀ join. If the UK with Japan was to simpy veto it that may well causeĀ tensions with others. In reality that was what Badenock was alluding too today unless you see CPTPP as just a western orientated club.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

That's to be decided. It has applied toĀ join. If the UK with Japan was to simpy veto it that may well causeĀ tensions with others. In reality that was what Badenock was alluding too today unless you see CPTPP as just a western orientated club.

I'd lay a bet with you that Turkey willĀ be in the EU before the PRC is in CPTPP but we'll both be dead before eitherĀ could collect

5 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Sam Coates clearly doesn't have a clue.

Japan bent over backwards to facilitate our entry. We're the first post-foundation entrants to the group; all of the member countries will be invested in ensuring we see benefits from membership to encourage more entrants.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

EU sorry.

The UK may have left the EU empire, but it still trades with it. Now in addition the UK has signed a deal with a trading bloc of over 582 million consumers with the UK ā€“ making it over 135 million more than that of the EU once the UK formally acceeds.

Whichever way you pro-EU shills choose to spin and belittle this, the CPTPP deal represents another major Brexit benefit.

No need to be sorry, just be careful - is what my old man use to sayĀ šŸ˜‰

29 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

The UK may have left the EU empire, but it still trades with it. Now in addition the UK has signed a deal with a trading bloc of over 582 million consumers with the UK ā€“ making it over 135 million more than that of the EU once the UK formally acceeds.

Whichever way you pro-EU shills choose to spin and belittle this, the CPTPP deal represents another major Brexit benefit.

What benefit? Our farmers will lose out. We wanted to be insular by voting leave and now we are trying to celebrate a bad deal to try and prove a point.

4 hours ago, ricardo said:

Think of all the 'nice things' Herman can look forward to from Pacific Rim countriesĀ šŸ˜‰

58 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

"Another major Brexit benefit"

And yeah - what a fantastic boost this latest trade agreement is! A trade agreement with a bloc of countries we already have trade deals with - except for just one nation. Yawn.Ā 

5 hours ago, ricardo said:

Did you leave the e off deliberately?

35 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Think of all the 'nice things' Herman can look forward to from Pacific Rim countriesĀ šŸ˜‰

Yes. Some are arriving in boats already but you lot don't want them.

1 hour ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Ā Sam Coates clearly doesn't have a clue.

Japan bent over backwards to facilitate our entry. We're the first post-foundation entrants to the group; all of the member countries will be invested in ensuring we see benefits from membership to encourage more entrants.

Stupid.

43 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

"Another major Brexit benefit"

And yeah - what a fantastic boost this latest trade agreement is! A trade agreement with a bloc of countries we already have trade deals with - except for just one nation. Yawn.Ā 

The bilateral trade agreements and the RTA aren't duplicates of each other, you know. There may be overlap, but some things might be covered in one but not the other.

The bilateral trade agreements definitely don't allow for more sophisticated supply chains like that which the RTA provides for.

Ā The great thing about low expectations is it makes it much easier to exceed expectations.

Edited by littleyellowbirdie

3 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

The bilateral trade agreements and the RTA aren't duplicates of each other, you know. There may be overlap, but some things might be covered in one but not the other.

The bilateral trade agreements definitely don't allow for more sophisticated supply chains like that which the RTA provides for.

Ā The great thing about low expectations is it makes it much easier to exceed expectations.

Rule Britannia, the land of low expectations. What a wonderful tag line that is. Makes you want to vomit when you think just how much my children and grandchildren have lost because a minority of people in this country can't understand what a **** idea this was always going to be.

Ā£40bn worth of economic loss Brexit has cost. And yet so many of the Brexit, flag waving idiotsĀ are holding up this (worth just Ā£1.8bn over 10 years by the government's own assessment) as an example of the opportunity Brexit has brought.

Absolute ****.Ā Ā 

Edited by Terminally Yellow
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, keelansgrandad said:

What benefit? Our farmers will lose out.Ā 

It's up to the government and the NFU to see farmers don't lose out, grandpapa -- Neither you or I can say with hand on heart if farmers will gain or lose from theĀ CPTPP trade deal, but thus far all the indications are positive:

https://www.nfuonline.com/updates-and-information/what-does-britain-joining-the-pacific-trade-bloc-mean-for-farmers/

Ā 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Rule Britannia, the land of low expectations. What a wonderful tag line that is. Makes you want to vomit when you think just how much my children and grandchildren have lost because a minority of people in this country can't understandĀ 

Ā£40bn worth of economic loss Brexit has cost. And yet so many of the Brexit, flag waving idiotsĀ are holding up this (worth just Ā£1.8bn over 10 years by the government's own assessment) as an example of the opportunity Brexit has brought.

Absolute ****.Ā Ā 

40bn you say for an economy with a GDP of over 3 trillion.

Cliff edge? Storm in a teacup more like.

But those who had legitimate concerns about the extent of ever-closer union no longer have anything to be concerned about. Ultimately, if either the Conservatives or Labour enjoyed any degree of public trust then it would never have happened.

9 hours ago, Surfer said:

Well, that's alright then.Ā 

There was me thinking Brexit was damaging the economy to the detriment of every British citizen and the Treasury.

Your selection of quote from me really does sum up the sheer dishonesty that I'm talking about from those still banging on about leaving the EU: goods exports are far less important to the UK economy than service exports, but you cut out all of my comment except the bit about goods with the EU.

22 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

40bn you say for an economy with a GDP of over 3 trillion.

Cliff edge? Storm in a teacup more like.

But those who had legitimate concerns about the extent of ever-closer union no longer have anything to be concerned about. Ultimately, if either the Conservatives or Labour enjoyed any degree of public trust then it would never have happened.

What a ****ing callous thing to say.Ā 

Do you think an NHS on its knees think it's "just" Ā£40bn? Do you know how many times over that would replace the QE Hospital in Kings Lynn? Do you know how many lives that having a proper, fully functioning hospital would save - rather than operating from a broken shell as it is now?Ā 

What about public services like the courts and police? Do you think it's "just" Ā£40bn to them? Unable to serve and protect the public in the under funded, devalued state they're in now.

Teachers, doctors, rail staff, nurses - how many of them could get a meaningful pay rise withĀ  "just" Ā£40bn lost to this country by the stupidity of Brexit?Ā 

And what about our military? Faced with the biggest threat to national security since the cold war and with reports they have barely the equipment and ammunition to last over ten days of fighting - do you think they think it's "just" Ā£40bn?

It's absolutely a cliff edge to the people that Ā£40bn would have benefitted in one way or another.Ā 

But yeah. It's alright to write off Ā£40bn because at least we've got our sovereignty, is it?

**** right off.

Edited by Terminally Yellow

7 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

What a ****ing callous thing to say.Ā 

Do you think an NHS on its knees think it's "just" Ā£40bn? Do you know how many times over that would replace the QE Hospital in Kings Lynn? Do you know how many lives that having a proper, fully functioning hospital would save - rather than operating from a broken shell as it is now?Ā 

What about public services like the courts and police? Do you think it's "just" Ā£40bn to them?Ā 

Teachers, doctors, rail staff, nurses - how many of them could get a meaningful pay rise withĀ  "just" Ā£40bn lost to this country by the stupidity of Brexit?Ā 

And what about our military? Faced with the biggest threat to national security since the cold war and with reports they have barely the equipment and ammunition to last over ten days of fighting - do you think they think it's "just" Ā£40bn?

It's absolutely a cliff edge to the people that Ā£40bn would have benefitted in one way or another.Ā 

But yeah. It's alright to write off Ā£40bn because at least we've got our sovereignty, is it?

**** right off.

Don't be ridiculous. Putting the dysfunction of the NHS on Brexit really is utter cr*p. That 40bn is talking about gdp; it's not tax revenue.

Absurd melodrama on your part.

F*** off yourself if you're going to be like that, though.

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Don't be ridiculous. Putting the dysfunction of the NHS on Brexit really is utter cr*p. That 40bn is talking about gdp; it's not tax revenue.

F*** off yourself if you're going to be like that, though.

Ā£800m a week. Ā£400 to each household. The loss of billions to an economy flattened further by a pandemic and a cost of living crisis brought on by a vicious evil dictator in Moscow.Ā 

If I were you - and anyone still pedalling the fantasy of Brexit being anything but an unmitigated disaster - I'd be unable to sleep at night.

Shame on you.

8 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

Ā£800m a week. Ā£400 to each household. The loss of billions to an economy flattened further by a pandemic and a cost of living crisis brought on by a vicious evil dictator in Moscow.Ā 

If I were you - and anyone still pedalling the fantasy of Brexit being anything but an unmitigated disaster - I'd be unable to sleep at night.

Shame on you.

Seriously: Grow up. Apart from anything else, nobody's really sure what effects were pandemic and what were leaving the EU.

That's how much of a joke the prophecies of doom were. In the meantime nobody really knows what we may gain from it in the coming years. The remoaners keep predicting the worst and keep getting shown to be wrong again and again though; I'd happily wager the rounding error you're having a hissy fit over will be compensated for in the not too distant future.

Unmitigated disaster... what embarrassingly stupid hyperbole.

Ā 

2 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Seriously: Grow up. Apart from anything else, nobody's really sure what effects were pandemic and what were leaving the EU.

That's how much of a joke the prophecies of doom were. In the meantime nobody really knows what we may gain from it in the coming years. The remoaners keep predicting the worst and keep getting shown to be wrong again and again though; I'd happily wager the rounding error you're having a hissy fit over will be compensated for in the not too distant future.

"Remoaners". Here we go with the right wing nut job language. If you can't beat them, label them. Its laughable and so predictable.Ā 

I get it. I know supporters of Brexit jump on any single sliver of positivity to justify their hopeless position to themselves. "Yay look at us signing pointless ineffective trade deals". "Let's go back to Imperial, that'll show how much we've taken back control!". "Blue passports! It's just like the 70s".

The truth is much harder to accept when you have to look at the faces of the generations to come and try to explain why you took a decision that has cost them greater financial security and contributed greatly to this country quickly becoming a pale of the economic, political and social leader it was at the turn of this millennium.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Whichever way you put it the Government's own impact assessment makes it clear that the CPTPP deal is economically insignificant and always will be - it's value is purely in giving the hard of thinking like yourself and GB News something to cheer about.

So enjoy, but the impact on our economy won't even be noticable and just out sheer morbid interest when you say that CPTTP was 'another' Brexit benefit what do you the think the other one was?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Whichever way you put it the Government's own impact assessment makes it clear that the CPTPP deal is economically insignificant and always will be - it's value is purely in giving the hard of thinking like yourself and GB News something to cheer about.

So enjoy, but the impact on our economy won't even be noticable and just out sheer morbid interest when you say that CPTTP was 'another' Brexit benefit what do you the think the other one was?

JRM spent a year looking at the benefits of Brexit. He says the other one is vacuum cleaners.Ā 

Edited by dylanisabaddog

1 minute ago, dylanisabaddog said:

JRM spent a year looking at the benefits of Brexit. The other one is vacuum cleaners.Ā 

Of course, I'd completely forgotten about that one - we are allowed to have even noisier vacuum cleaners than the EU, no wonder the idiot Johnson accepted such a shoddy deal.

I guess someone told him he'd have better suckers in the future and he thought that's good enough for me šŸ˜€

• Haha 2