Jools

The Positive Brexit Thread

Brexit has killed off the UK leg of the Orient Express. If there hadn't already been a last straw that would have been it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

https://www.cityam.com/post-brexit-foreign-direct-investment-in-the-north-skyrockets-72-per-cent/

How does this view tally with FDI into the UK going up from 1.9 trillion to 2.3 trillion US dollars in 2021?

This report is about planned investment.

Never trust an article that contains a picture of Liz Truss and quotes Kemi Badenoch praising a budget by Kwasi Kwarteng. You know the one that crashed the economy and scared off potential investors.

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Brexit has killed off the UK leg of the Orient Express. If there hadn't already been a last straw that would have been it.

I had the next few murders all planned out as well. All that wasted time.... What about Eygpt, can I get there?

2 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I had the next few murders all planned out as well. All that wasted time.... What about Eygpt, can I get there?

Not only that, how on earth are Charters and Caldicott going to make it back in time to catch the last day of the Lords test?!😍

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Haha 1

Ireland should leave the EU and join up with brexit Britain was a suggestion I read a few times.

*Paywall with easy sign up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Ireland should leave the EU and join up with brexit Britain was a suggestion I read a few times.

*Paywall with easy sign up.

Kate Hoey, don't be like Kate, she's a ****.

• Haha 1

Been reading some more Tony Benn and his desire to either leave the EU or reform it to be more democratic.

I was a believer in Tony and have met and chatted with him. But I do disagree with his basic logic that the UK is a democracy and you can vote out the ones you don't like. 

Its obviously not a complete democracy as we have an Upper Chamber that contains the Clergy, Heirs and Croneys. We have a Lower House that cannot be totally democratic with FPTP. We also have Governments that do not adhere to the manifesto they were elected on.

So his basic conception is flawed. Just like the EU is. 

3 hours ago, Herman said:

A good opinion piece from Mr Lee.

The issue for me is is that the Boomers (us) have generally eaten our seed corn. We have voted in parties and policies that suit us but the younger generations are now burdened with student debt, unaffordable house prices or rent and to cap it all a regressive isolationist Brexit damaging the economy too.

May our children forgive us. I can't.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

The issue for me is is that the Boomers (us) have generally eaten our seed corn. We have voted in parties and policies that suit us but the younger generations are now burdened with student debt, unaffordable house prices or rent and to cap it all a regressive isolationist Brexit damaging the economy too.

May our children forgive us. I can't.

The Labour Party is fully aware that most boomers will be dead in 15 years and the political demographics of this country will change dramatically as a result. I'm not sure that the Tories realise what's going to happen. 

On 11/04/2023 at 17:52, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

I don't know about Jools, but I personally have never cited Minford.

14 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Easy choice for me - If it isn't City then it has to be Luton. I was born there to Norwich parents and my first match experience was at Kenilworth Road with my dear dad in the early sixties.

Luton's rise since being eliminated to non-league status in 2009 is a remarkable achievement and they've done it on a shoestring.

My prefered outcome for the season would be for Sheff Utd to lose and/Or draw 4 of their final 5 games and Luton to win 3/4 garnering automatic promotion with City making the play-offs and beating whoever at Wembley 😉👍

On 30/04/2019 at 22:29, Jools said:

I had the misfortune to be born in Luton 😜 to Norwich parents who moved there before I was born as father took on a job at Vauxhall --- Regularly attended Kenilworth Road with my father in the Sixties until we moved back to Norwich in '67. Fond memories.

You should meet up with Jools, Hooky.

You two would get on great, so much shared history to talk about 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

25 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Phew. For a while I thought there could be two people with the rare ailment of having rocks for brains.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Blimey, what an incredible coincidence! 😮 Does the Jools chap still post here?

4 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage) / Twitter Jools.

Twitter can't handle Nigel Farage's new moustacheHook's Walk Canary.

As you will notice, they are two completely different people.

• Haha 3

On 11/04/2023 at 18:07, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

UK’s exports of services are up by 25% whilst the EU’s share plunges from one-half to one-third in under five years ...

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/internationaltrade/datasets/importsofservicesbycountrybymodesofsupply

• Exports to EU27 countries : £117.5bn (35.8%)
  • Exports to rest of the world : £210.6bn (64.2%)

Despite Brexit 😉

Really Hooky, with this desperate post you are spoiling us with a classic piece of straw clutching. First rather than posting raw data why don't you admit you got it from https://facts4eu.org/news/2023_apr_serving_the_world_pt1#.

Now you would have thought that as Brexit is going so well they might have packed up and turned their hand to something more useful. But no, as we have yet to see them come up with a single benefit of Brexit it is still a case of hunt the unicorn.

This case is a good one. How can it fail to be good news. Yet it does, of course the growth in services to the world could and would have happened whether Brexit did or did not happen. There is nothing in Brexit that is causal here.

On the otherhand I don't think you quite understand the stat. The plunge referred to is not the EUs, no it is the UK exports to the EU which is to do with Brexit and is a plunge in the UK's exports to the EU of 16%.

So what you have posted shows the UK worse off because of Brexit.

Well done.

53 minutes ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Every time you do.

41 minutes ago, BigFish said:

Really Hooky, with this desperate post you are spoiling us with a classic piece of straw clutching. First rather than posting raw data why don't you admit you got it from https://facts4eu.org/news/2023_apr_serving_the_world_pt1#.

Now you would have thought that as Brexit is going so well they might have packed up and turned their hand to something more useful. But no, as we have yet to see them come up with a single benefit of Brexit it is still a case of hunt the unicorn.

This case is a good one. How can it fail to be good news. Yet it does, of course the growth in services to the world could and would have happened whether Brexit did or did not happen. There is nothing in Brexit that is causal here.

On the otherhand I don't think you quite understand the stat. The plunge referred to is not the EUs, no it is the UK exports to the EU which is to do with Brexit and is a plunge in the UK's exports to the EU of 16%.

So what you have posted shows the UK worse off because of Brexit.

Well done.

Yes BF. There is so much wrong with that hooky piece of mal-information I didn't know really where to start.

Heard the other day a really funny 'example' of such (BBC R4) chosen to make it obvious even for those with multiple personality disorders / accounts as to how mal-information works and is used to abuse the contextual truth.

Apparently far more people die in hospitals than at hairdressers. Ergo if you feel seriously unwell you should go the hairdresser not the hospital. I do hope Hooky follows the good advice. Statistics back it up. Brexiteer logic at it best.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

He hasn't been seen for a while.....but we can feel his presence every now and then 🤗

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

He hasn't been seen for a while.....but we can feel his presence every now and then 🤗

Have to rename him Jokey.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Yep, he’s now called Hooks-Walk-Canary.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

We don't call him chap. It starts with a C though.

Best answer gets to vandalise Jools Maggie Thatcher soiled panties collection.

16 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Welcome back. It's always good to know that people haven't died. Many times when posters stop posting one worries that they are no longer with us. Whatever the difference in political views there's something much more important.

And you're a cheeky monkey for coming back as Hooky because many of us are a bit slow on the uptake and you've had us completely fooled!

Someone has to support Luton too. It's one hellish place and it may as well be a mad hatter to get behind them. I recall well now come to think about it that you used to own and run a care home when Covid erupted and you told us how you navigated that crisis with no problems and even how you got Covid and sailed through it. Many of us had a rougher time, some losing relatives even. Since we are in the Brexit thread perhaps you could become a fisherman or an SME exporter and show how to really run a business. To give Brexit a good kicking? And perhaps Luton could give the top six elitist bast4rds a beating too if you get there?

It's far too wokey round here so it's good to have you back. Seriously, you've been missed. Terribly.

Edited by sonyc
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sonyc said:

Welcome back. It's always good to know that people haven't died. Many times when posters stop posting one worries that they are no longer with us. Whatever the difference in political views there's something much more important.

And you're a cheeky monkey for coming back as Hooky because many of us are a bit slow on the uptake and you've had us completely fooled!

Someone has to support Luton too. It's one hellish place and it may as well be a mad hatter to get behind them. I recall well now come to think about it that you used to own and run a care home when Covid erupted and you told us how you navigated that crisis with no problems and even how you got Covid and sailed through it. Many of us had a rougher time, some losing relatives even. Since we are in the Brexit thread perhaps you could become a fisherman or an SME exporter and show how to really run a business. To give Brexit a good kicking? And perhaps Luton could give the top six elitist bast4rds a beating too if you get there?

It's far too wokey round here so it's good to have you back. Seriously, you've been missed. Terribly.

I wonder what the correlation is between mercury (found in fish (our fishermen) and yes the 'mad' hatters ) and Brexit? Sounds plausible to me.

Edited by Yellow Fever
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I wonder what the correlation is between mercury (found in fish (our fishermen) and yes the 'mad' hatters ) and Brexit? Sounds plausible to me.

Brilliant stuff YF. My post was sincere and genuine in the first part then had some daft sarcasm in the middle part but I had also thought about the mercury and it was a small joke (to myself). I'm impressed I have to say 🙂

Edit. The final bit about good in having J back was also genuine too. The "terribly" was a sardonic afterthought.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Brilliant stuff YF. My post was sincere and genuine in the first part then had some daft sarcasm in the middle part but I had also thought about the mercury and it was a small joke (to myself). I'm impressed I have to say 🙂

Edit. The final bit about good in having J back was also genuine too. The "terribly" was a sardonic afterthought.

The only question is how many other alter egos there are out there......

17 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The only question is how many other alter egos there are out there......

Well I don't know. Not many I would say. Yet, imagine one of you is a Brexiter and your alter ego is a Remainer!😅 Awkward for you but a chance of understanding the other side of the debate.... that's conclusive then....there are none!🙂

Edited by sonyc