Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

3 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I bought a copy of this for my brother last month-he said he wanted an album that was listed in the Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums of all time-he gave me a choice of this, The Joshua Tree or Purple Rain. Just checked the list and didn't realise that Marvin Gaye was number 1!

I'm also not sure how I feel about the fact that I've only got 8 albums out of the Top 500!

I lost count but I think it was 36. That said, I suppose I have an age advantage over younger posters…

4 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Just looked, I've got 27, don't think any of us would agree with that list though, no Four Tops or Temptations. Rattus would be in my top 20

It would probably be in mine too 

8 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I bought a copy of this for my brother last month-he said he wanted an album that was listed in the Rolling Stone's Top 500 albums of all time-he gave me a choice of this, The Joshua Tree or Purple Rain. Just checked the list and didn't realise that Marvin Gaye was number 1!

I'm also not sure how I feel about the fact that I've only got 8 albums out of the Top 500!

Enjoy the fact you don’t run with the crowd!

Plus Rolling Stone is American, and they are all a bunch of tasteless oiks anyway.

(Apart from the talented ones. Nina, Ella, Miles etc.)

On 25/07/2023 at 01:44, TheGunnShow said:

Wondered if someone had written a song taking the rip out of modern pop music then realised these guys did it years ago.

Tony Hawks has certainly got up to some funny things when not hitchhiking around Ireland with a fridge, playing Moldovan footballers at tennis or indeed teaming up with the late Norman Wisdom to create a hit song in Albania.

Not sure it’s exactly what you’re aiming at, but I’m a big fan of Richard Cheese. This for me is his best, although most of the album this comes from is great. I can’t hear it without imagining high kicks all the way through.

I just hope Alanis Morrisette is as proud of this as she should be.

Edited by Nuff Said

It’s the beginning of August and that can only mean one think-Rebellion Punk festival in Blackpool.

• Like 1

I have love/hate feelings about the beatles. I can hear them and appreciate their greatness. As a drummer I love Ringo. The most musical 'pop/rock' drummer ever. But I'd never choose to listen to them as they just don't 'do it' for me like The who, radiohead, easly oasis, beastie boys do. Plus I've heard the hits way too may times.

But. Having been roped into playing in a beatles tribute band for a mates wedding ive had to learn the more obscure stuff. And it's better. I get it now. As lon g as never have to hear hey jude again...

not a great wedding song. Unsure why they picked it!

full Ringo for this one. you want it I'm singing.

Also Dr Robert

One After 909 on the list 

They may not make the cut depending on time. 

This is the second time my friends have tried to beatles ambush me... As long  as thy don't do it with ABBA! 

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1

'Classic albums' . How many have you actually heard properly or not? At practice my friends were horrified when I said I'd not listened to nevermind the ****, sergeant peppers or rumours.  (Don't judge me)

I have heard them all but never sat down and listened in one sitting. Am I missing something? In the case of Tommy yes as it is a one sitting album. The popular song 'pinball wozard' scrapes the top 20 who songs but as a whole album it's a masterpiece.

On the beer now as the buzz of a city win and 5 hrs of drumming needs to be substituted so I'll go before I start getting random.

Just been introduced to Sister Rosetta Tharpe who was a phenomenon, huge in her day, and a highly influential guitarist, now largely forgotten, only inducted into the 'rock & roll hall of fame in 2018 - some 45 years after her death. Her recording of 'Strange things happening every day' in 1944 is widely regarded as the first 'rock & roll' record:-

https://www.google.com/search?q=strange+things+happening+every+day&rlz=1CAHCCZ_enGB1041GB1041&oq=Strange+Things+Happening+Every+Day&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCggAEAAY4wIYgAQyCggAEAAY4wIYgAQyBwgBEC4YgAQyBwgCEAAYgAQyBwgDEC4YgAQyBwgEEC4YgAQyBwgFEAAYgAQyBwgGEAAYgAQyBwgHEAAYgAQyCggIEAAYhgMYigUyCggJEAAYhgMYigXSAQgxNTg5ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b82dd869,vid:-88l-M0KgkI

Good stuff ... and a progression from her gospel/blues background.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

Just been introduced to Sister Rosetta Tharpe who was a phenomenon, huge in her day, and a highly influential guitarist, now largely forgotten, only inducted into the 'rock & roll hall of fame in 2018 - some 45 years after her death. Her recording of 'Strange things happening every day' in 1944 is widely regarded as the first 'rock & roll' record:-

https://www.google.com/search?q=strange+things+happening+every+day&rlz=1CAHCCZ_enGB1041GB1041&oq=Strange+Things+Happening+Every+Day&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCggAEAAY4wIYgAQyCggAEAAY4wIYgAQyBwgBEC4YgAQyBwgCEAAYgAQyBwgDEC4YgAQyBwgEEC4YgAQyBwgFEAAYgAQyBwgGEAAYgAQyBwgHEAAYgAQyCggIEAAYhgMYigUyCggJEAAYhgMYigXSAQgxNTg5ajBqN6gCALACAA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:b82dd869,vid:-88l-M0KgkI

Good stuff ... and a progression from her gospel/blues background.

Yes. I had to look her up after seeing someone portraying her in a film recently (Death on the Nile maybe?)

Great stuff.

1 hour ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Listening to Blur's new album and it's very Bowie-esqe -- Especially 'St. Charles Square' which wouldn't be out of place on 'Scary Monsters'...

Anyone remember when Jools once claimed Bowie visited him in his flat , and put up a doctored photo to prove it which turned out to be someone  else ?

https://davidbowieautograph.com/when-bowie-came-to-stay

8 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

And it would appear that Jools has been residing rent free in your tiny head ever since 😀

My apologies for reminding you of your shame , embarrassment and stupidity.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

20230809_161904.jpg

Went to their penultimate gig...

Can you tell me where that was, Frank?

No prizes for the right answer mind 🙃 

Edited by Hook's-Walk-Canary
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Hook's-Walk-Canary said:

Went to their penultimate gig...

Can you tell me where that was, Frank?

No prizes for the right answer mind 🙃 

Last one in this country was Cromer, actual last in San Francisco, penultimate I don't know 

The Premier League season is upon us so following a new addition to my TV I thought I'd share this wonderful song. 

If you know you know 

• Like 1

On 10/08/2023 at 20:01, FenwayFrank said:

Last one in this country was Cromer, actual last in San Francisco, penultimate I don't know 

San Antonio?

Can't quite recall without looking it up.

Some great audio and video footage of the final US gigs out there...

*They played two gigs on Christmas day, 1977, the day after Cromer for a benefit concert for the striking firefighters children, an afternoon gig for the kids and a normal one in the evening at Ivanhoes's Huddersfield. There's a film about it...Never Mind the Baubles.

• Like 1