Sign in to follow this  
Samwam27

Husband

Thats the thing LDC Husband try hard, his body language was slumped and as well as looking rubbish on Saturday he also looked lazy and uninterested in his body language. I donno maybe its lack of confidence. I also don''t get that a supporter should support every player even if there having a terrible game. In any line of work if someone was constantly putting in below average performances despite being given opportunity after opportunity to improve you would start to get frustrated with them so this is no different. I booed him on Saturday I will admit that, I think hes awful and isn''t upto Norwich Citys level and I have just given up on him ever improving, doesn''t make me any less of a supporter than anyone else

I always thought Whittaker was a terrible full back. How much worse is Husband, if Whittaker was, say, a 4/10?

[quote user="lincsy88"]Thats the thing LDC Husband try hard, his body language was slumped and as well as looking rubbish on Saturday he also looked lazy and uninterested in his body language. I donno maybe its lack of confidence. I also don''t get that a supporter should support every player even if there having a terrible game. In any line of work if someone was constantly putting in below average performances despite being given opportunity after opportunity to improve you would start to get frustrated with them so this is no different. I booed him on Saturday I will admit that, I think hes awful and isn''t upto Norwich Citys level and I have just given up on him ever improving, doesn''t make me any less of a supporter than anyone else[/quote]
Yes you''re as good as anyone else, but giving up on a player doesn''t sound very supportive to me.  I have taught a lot of young musicians and sometimes they go through a spell where they lose their way, lose their motivation, lose their focus or confidence or whatever and their performance drops off - and what I have found is that if you hang in there, don''t pressurise them too much and just offer support, they usually, sooner or later come back to their best.  I know that doing the opposite - getting on their backs and complaining and going on at them would have totally the wrong effect.
Husband had a difficult start last year, but he improved somewhat before getting an injury, then his chances were limited.  He has had one competitive game this season which we drew - in which he made no serious mistakes, where he tried to get forwards and link the play - once he was right on the edge of the opponents area and could have gone on but checked back and he had a volley in the second half - a tough one to take on, but he did.  So it was not the worst performance, but he can do better. 
I don''t like seeing any player get stick, although sometimes it''s warranted if they look dis-interested or don''t work hard enough or keep making mistakes. The biggest thing though, is that the manager picked him to play - so he must be doing something right in training, because Stiepermann can play there too so there were options. 

LDC - The problem is Husband "back to his best" is still ultimately rubbish and not fir for purpose. 
Not sure you should really try and glorify a full back managing to get up the pitch once in 60 minutes; and a volley that wasn''t particularly hard to hit and sat up for him beautifully that he put 30 yards over the bar as shining accomplishments. Not making a major mistake doesn''t mean that he didn''t make several minor mistakes that went unpunished and offered nothing whatsoever to the team.
It doesn''t really help his cause.
If the manager was right to pick him,  then he was also right to sub him off for playing poorly. He''ll also be right in banishing him out of the first teams squad for the rest of the season which I expect is fairly likely what will happen. To say he was picked due to impressing in training is a bit of an assumption - I thought it was because Lewis is injured and Husband is the only round peg for that hole in the opening game of the season..... You''re also suggesting that Farke doesn''t make any mistakes and gets it right 100% of the time.

I think KIO has it right in giving a full back praise for getting forward isnt the best bit of praise for him, whilst he done this I also felt he was out of position an awful lot, didnt pick his man up and was really not good defensively and gave the ball away a lot.

I thought Farke was picking both Husband and Steipermann and the later would play down the left and help as defensive cover but Marco played from the right which was a strange one and meant Brum attacked alot down our left with a fair bit of joy.

I get the loss of confidence thing and you can see that in Husband but there is also a lack of ability which I cant ever remembering him having, I guess theres a reason he was third choice for a club in the same league as us.

Dont get me wrong I would love nothing more than to see him and every other signing we ever make do well but alas that doesnt happen and certain moves dont work out for whatever reason and I feel this is the case with Husband and the sooner he moves on the better for all concerned. I would even throw Max Aarons in there over him, I know hes a RB by trade but has shown he can do a better job than Husband.

No one is perfect, kio - and I''m not glorifying the game Husband had either, but the volley wasn''t easy - the ball was spinning as it came to him. 
I make assumptions because that is all any of us have when it comes to what goes on behind the scenes - but I can''t get past this thing that says to me he is one of our players, he is on the pitch, the manager has trusted him and he is trying his best, so give him a chance.  So he didn''t have a good game and was subbed - it happens - so why do people have to go over the top about it?  Just because they can?  It is bordering on scapegoatism - and like I said earlier, it''s like the weakest link in the classroom or in a platoon in the army being picked on.  Give the guy a break is all I say, if he plays on Saturday, which he may well do if Stiepermann isn''t 100% and Lewis not ready, we need him to play well!

Let''s just see how Husband gets on against the Baggies on Saturday (that''s if he''s selected).....He may even play a blinder?....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Let''s just see how Husband gets on against the Baggies on Saturday (that''s if he''s selected).....He may even play a blinder?....[/quote]

I think I''ve got more chance of winning the Euromillions tonight and I havent bought a ticket!

[quote user="lake district canary"]
No one is perfect, kio - and I''m not glorifying the game Husband had either, but the volley wasn''t easy - the ball was spinning as it came to him. 
I make assumptions because that is all any of us have when it comes to what goes on behind the scenes - but I can''t get past this thing that says to me he is one of our players, he is on the pitch, the manager has trusted him and he is trying his best, so give him a chance.  So he didn''t have a good game and was subbed - it happens - so why do people have to go over the top about it?  Just because they can?  It is bordering on scapegoatism - and like I said earlier, it''s like the weakest link in the classroom or in a platoon in the army being picked on.  Give the guy a break is all I say, if he plays on Saturday, which he may well do if Stiepermann isn''t 100% and Lewis not ready, we need him to play well! 
[/quote]
It wasn''t a difficult volley from where I was sitting but agree to disagree. Point stands that difficult volley or easy volley, he utterly f**ked it up regardless with an embarrassing attempt. My two year old would have hit it better.
He has had over 20 chances and produced absolutely naff all that anyone can point to as being a positive contribution. Some posters on here say his performances improved last season which raises two questions:
 - Which games was he supposedly ''decent''? I dont mean better than his usual utterly sh1t level, I mean better than several other players on the pitch? Even at his best, he is still by far the weakest player on the pitch, regardless of opposition. If your base level is as low as his, a "good game" for him would be a howler for a Championship level player, so I want to know when he was specifically better than others on the pitch.
 - Secondly, shall we wait 20 games with him playing shambolically and costing us points for him to raise his game to ''a bit sh1t but marginally not the worst player on the pitch''? 
If we''re scapegoating, then why are the norfolk journos and the blues fan site joining in? Scapegoating would imply there is blame being apportioned for something that is not his fault, however all I can see is people criticising his performance, which is nothing to do with scapegoating. He is not being scapegoated, it''s simply being pointed out how bad he is.
I need a couple of million in the bank but that doesn''t mean it will happen. Although I grant you that is more likely than Husband playing well against Matty Phillips.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Let''s just see how Husband gets on against the Baggies on Saturday (that''s if he''s selected).....He may even play a blinder?....[/quote]
His positional sense often leaves me wondering if he is blind to be fair.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Mello Yello"]Let''s just see how Husband gets on against the Baggies on Saturday (that''s if he''s selected).....He may even play a blinder?....[/quote]
His positional sense often leaves me wondering if he is blind to be fair.
[/quote]
Funny, I just looked at last season''s reports and lo and behold one of the best spells we had was with Husband in the team - and in two of those reports Husband gets a mention as contributing to the attack -
1-0 away win at Middsbro
2-1 away win at Reading
1-1 against Hull
1-0 away at Ipswich where he came on as sub.
I haven''t looked any further, I''ve got better things to do, but it does suggest there is more to him than you give him credit for. Part of a tight defence, 10 out of 12 points.  While it dosn''t mean he was great, it does suggest competence and at least able to hold his own.  He also did ok at a match I went to, Sheff Utd, when brought on to do a job.

Looks like your Baggies and playing a blinder went whooosh over everybody''s head Mello. [:D]

Still over my head Til... im just hoping their new combi-boiler mascot makes an appearance. By the far the strangest mascot choice in british sports i reckon.

Not watched it Til. On my list but not got to it yet. I thoight Birmingham but context of this suggests west brom i suppose!

After leaving boyhood club Doncaster in 2014, Husband only made 31 first-team appearances until the start of last season with us. This lack of game time considered, I initially thought he was tripe but then started to look much more of a player after he had an extended run in the team to get up to speed.
Problem is, not sure we currently have the comfortable backdrop to allow a player 10-12 games to work out the kinks- especially when you consider Jamal Lewis essentially dropped straight in and was mostly excellent from the word go.

He’s our back up LB and probably as good as or better than most other sides equivalent players.

I don’t see the need to get on his case unless he isn’t trying 100%. Ideally an extended run in the side would boost his confidence and performance levels but this is unlikely to happen.

I’m not sure what some “supporters” expect of a back up / squad player, he isn’t going to be an International player is he? If he’s decent and tries hard we should accept that. Not every game is going to be a great performance either but if we get a 6 or 7 out of 10 that’s better than ok for someone who doesn’t play every week. The Birmingham game was frantic and I’m not sure we can draw many conclusions about Husband from this. He certainly wasn’t our worst player on the day although he did get hooked.

My only minor criticism of him is that he hasn’t really contributed much going forward and for player who is supposed to be an attack minded FB he should have a better goals and assist record than he does. Maybe this again is due to a lack of regular game time. This point aside I’d rather he didn’t get caught out of position or make defensive errors, so maybe he is already under instruction to curtail his natural attacking instincts.

Presumably he trains well otherwise he would have been moved on and Farke would not have played him last week. Let’s hope the guy is mentally tough enough to cope with the stick he’s getting most of which seems disproportionate and rather thoughtless to the point of ignorance. We could try supporting him. A revolutionary idea perhaps but possibly the most useful thing we can do.

[quote user="Bonzo"] We could try supporting him. A revolutionary idea perhaps but possibly the most useful thing we can do.[/quote]
Indeed, revolutionary - lets hope the message gets through to those that need to hear it.

Classic strawman- nobody is expecting him to be an international player, they just expect him to be competent. Which in my opinion he isn''t very often.

Where you get the idea he''s ''as good or better'' as most other sides backups is beyond me too.

Were you at the Birmingham Bonzo? Did you watch it? He was the worst player on the pitch according to objective observers like Michael Bailey, and the Blues fan site also had him as the worst player on the pitch. 
He made LOTS of defensive errors so no idea why you think he didn''t if you actually saw the game, and no-one is basing their opinions off the Blues game in a vacuum. He''s played 20+ times for us, that''s plenty of time to make a judgement on him. Sure the errors at Birmingham weren''t major, largely because Klose picked up the pieces every time, but if Klose had a worse game then those errors would have been given more exposure.
You say if he tries hard and he''s decent we should accept that. I 100% agree. The problem is he only meets one of the two criteria which is why a lot of fans don''t accept that.
Not good enough, and sounds like you''ve never seen him play tbh.

[quote user="kick it off"]Were you at the Birmingham Bonzo? Did you watch it? He was the worst player on the pitch according to objective observers like Michael Bailey, and the Blues fan site also had him as the worst player on the pitch. 
He made LOTS of defensive errors so no idea why you think he didn''t if you actually saw the game, and no-one is basing their opinions off the Blues game in a vacuum. He''s played 20+ times for us, that''s plenty of time to make a judgement on him. Sure the errors at Birmingham weren''t major, largely because Klose picked up the pieces every time, but if Klose had a worse game then those errors would have been given more exposure.
You say if he tries hard and he''s decent we should accept that. I 100% agree. The problem is he only meets one of the two criteria which is why a lot of fans don''t accept that.
Not good enough, and sounds like you''ve never seen him play tbh.
[/quote]
There were not "errors" that I saw.  I saw him being closed down a lot which gave him few options with Jota being his main protagonist.  A tough game for any left back against Jota and yes, they tried to exploit our left hand side through him, so he had a difficult game.  Now as a Norwich supporter I would far rather give those as reasons why Husband didn''t look great than just rubbishing him.  Last season he did improve - and I think I said earlier, one of our best spells last season was with him in the team, so it depends on what you want to think after the performance last week - a team giving a left back a torrid game by the opposition, or a poor left back making it easy for the opposition.
I was furious with Hanley on Saturday and what he tried to do - his long attempted passes that went sailing into touch and the suicidal passes across the penalty box, but when it came to Husband I saw a player who was under pressure and lack of space every time he was involved in the game.  Two different players, one under pressure the whole time the other trying things that were beyond his ability.
If both are picked on Saturday, I think we will see different performances from both of them. Hanley will realise he needs to not try too hard and just keep things simple, Husband, that he needs to be a bit more positive in his play.  Both were poor on Saturday but it was the first game of the season, after all.

Against Matt Phillips you think Husband will try and get forward? OK. Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Husband is made to look poor every time he plays then according to you, rather than him being a poor player but Jamal Lewis just plays against weaker teams I suppose so he isn''t exposed every time he''s on the pitch.
You say Bham targetted Husband''s side.... WHY do you think teams try to exploit Husband LDC? Why does every opposition manager specifically target the LB position when Husband plays, but not when Lewis plays. Do they all think Husband is a decent player who needs a chance, or do they recognise he''s awful do you think?
You also say Husband improved. In another thread you said "I read Husbnad improved". So you don''t know he improved, you''re going on hearsay rather than watching him play. So we had a decent spell of 4 games, and you''re pointing at Husband as the catalyst, yet he was in the team for the worst runs and those were "a team effort" no doubt. For the record, he only started 3 of those games, he was 78th min sub in the scum game.
You want to talk stats - 
Husband starting = 29 goals conceded in 15 starts. (1.9 per game)
Lewis starting = 26 goals conceded in 16 starts (1.6 per game and the last start was the spanking at Hillsboro on the final day which accounts for 5 of the goals conceded - 21 in 15 before that game = 1.4 per game)
Not sure how you didn''t see Husband turning into traffic in dangerous areas rather than hoofing it away several times. Although according to you he was probably just being closed down instead of the other team being nice and letting him run with it to build up his confidence, and it wasn''t a mistake, it was just good play by Jota. Nasty of them. Any footballer with sense would have stuck it in Row Z rather than try and turn Jota, but that''s not Husband''s fault either, and wasn''t him trying things beyond his ability which you say frustrated you about Hanley (even though I''ve seen Hanley make those balls dozens of times last season and never seen Husband take anyone on).
Honestly this victim syndrome regarding Husband is ludicrous. He''s by far the worst player in the squad and it''s not a crime to say it.

[quote user="Bonzo"]He’s our back up LB and probably as good as or better than most other sides equivalent players.

I don’t see the need to get on his case unless he isn’t trying 100%. Ideally an extended run in the side would boost his confidence and performance levels but this is unlikely to happen.

I’m not sure what some “supporters” expect of a back up / squad player, he isn’t going to be an International player is he? If he’s decent and tries hard we should accept that. Not every game is going to be a great performance either but if we get a 6 or 7 out of 10 that’s better than ok for someone who doesn’t play every week. The Birmingham game was frantic and I’m not sure we can draw many conclusions about Husband from this. He certainly wasn’t our worst player on the day although he did get hooked.

My only minor criticism of him is that he hasn’t really contributed much going forward and for player who is supposed to be an attack minded FB he should have a better goals and assist record than he does. Maybe this again is due to a lack of regular game time. This point aside I’d rather he didn’t get caught out of position or make defensive errors, so maybe he is already under instruction to curtail his natural attacking instincts.

Presumably he trains well otherwise he would have been moved on and Farke would not have played him last week. Let’s hope the guy is mentally tough enough to cope with the stick he’s getting most of which seems disproportionate and rather thoughtless to the point of ignorance. We could try supporting him. A revolutionary idea perhaps but possibly the most useful thing we can do.[/quote]

Spot on Bonzo 👍

I don''t think we could get much better in to the club who''s willing to play backup to a 20 year old with 1/2 season experience under his belt.