Sign in to follow this  
hogesar

Really good performance

Our best two players, Maddison and Gunn will not be here next season. Without Maddison we would be 17th or there abouts (just his goals). We are one point behind the pub team down the road. Hope Leitner stays but doubt it. This team does not have goals in it, goal scorers cost money, we have none. I really hope the optimists are correct, looking at the table I very much doubt they are. Mid table next season is the most likely outcome.

We also played with a fair bit of width in the first half. Taking a CB out meant we could play another attacking player, so we went with 2 wingers instead of 2 strikers. Also Leitner was dropping deep to pick up the back, a bit like a QB. We certainly seemed to move the ball quicker and have a lot of movement up front, with the midfielders also getting in and around Oliveira. As said elsewhere on the thread we really did miss a hatfull of chances (for a change)

That was the first half. It all seemed to change in the second half.

The width had disappeared. We seemed to be a lot more narrower despite still having the 2 wingers. Suddenly instead of movement and quick passing it was balls to feet to players with their backs to goal. All the play was in front of Bolton’s backline which they were comfortable with and I’m sure we didn’t have an meaningful attempt in the entire half. It turned very similar to the first half v Ipswich where despite having the vast majority of the ball we never looked like scoring

Once again Hogarse you question your knowledge of football!? How you can give your title to the thread as ''really good performance'' is beyond me... please just reiterate what was good about a 0-0 result against a struggling Championship side?You are.. it''s never been in doubt... CLUELESS!

Fortress Carrow Road has come tumbling down.

The poorest list of home results that I can remember.

I was intending to go in a few weeks time but with the trouble and expense just to witness a lack of goals and fluffy sideways football has made me change my mind.

I like Farke, but what''s wrong with the man? He''s supposed to be a football manager for goodness sake. Work it out.

And we need yet another striker.

I''d like to see the back of Oliveira. More trouble than he''s worth, both on and off the pitch.

Ah possession, that old chestnut.Probably the most misleading and most irrelevant statistic used in football.In most cases, when one team has 75%+ possession it just leads to totally boring football, as dished up at CR this season.Supporters do not go to matches hoping to see x or y possession, they go hoping to see goals and a victory and they don''t care too much about how it is achieved.Success in all sports comes down to how effective you are at the business end, not how you got to the business end.

Not really sure how going in 0-0 at half time at home against one of the worst sides in the league can be classed as a really good performance, we created one good chance for leitner the rest half chances that were few and far between, guess some are more easily pleased than others. Possession is one thing, creating clear cut chances is another and vital to winning a football match and something we clearly lack, I keep hearing about giving the manager time and the squad has had the overhaul and it''s all part of the webberultion but how long is he going to get when we keep getting served up the same old shite at Carrow road? Yet again no plan b just the same old passing around the back line until we get near the opposition box where we find them lined up defensively almost impossible to break down, what''s the point in having players with pace? No balls in behind or the freedom to take their man on so why have them in the team?

Farke is tacticly clueless at home it''s as simple as that, he''s had 2/3 of a season and still hasn''t worked out we can''t play the same at home as we do away, that worries me.

I thought we played pretty well, especially in the first half but the worry is that pretty much anything good or creative goes through Maddison and Leitner and the likelihood is they won’t be here next season and will be replaced by Kenny McLean. Not dissing him but not sure that’s going to improve us.

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Not really sure how going in 0-0 at half time at home against one of the worst sides in the league can be classed as a really good performance[/quote]
That''s exactly what I meant earlier by not being able to differentiate between the performance and the result.

Every other team in the league seems to be able to put in a good performance against the shambles that is Bolton ..... but they usually manage to score a goal or two and win.

Look at the table.

Awful result and combine that with the binner game (also at home) and the hopes I had of a top six have disappeared.

Of the bottom 6 we have only beaten one of them at home. That’s shocking no matter what way you look at it. In all game I think we have dominated possession as well, which tell its own story about how misleading it is as a statistic

it wasn''t a really good first half performance though Hog was it? Leitner 1 on 1, Maddison with a pot shot hit the post and a Hanley header, wow what creative play, if only we got points for possession eh? against a team that were happy to sit off and let us have the ball

Which team do you think we''re happier after the game? Then tell us all how much of a "really good performance" it was

If we can get the reported £20 for Maddison, unload Doliveira and Murphy and Watkins then Farke will have some money to change our attacking options 100%.

They could hardly be any worse.

Sorry not a good performance as far as I''m concerned. Taking your chances is part of the performance and we were poor at that most crucial part of the game.

Anyone who thinks we should have walked yesterday''s game knows jack about football.

Decent point in a game we dominated, people don''t realise how much emotion and effort was put in against Ipswich and Wolves and that eventually it''ll catch you up.

3 big games in a week, two highly charged with emotional comebacks takes its toll!

Decent point in a game we dominated, I had Bolton to win 1-0 at 14/1 as I''m a realist! Was hilarious waking down Carrow road listening to yokels bleeting how many we''d "do em" by.

😂

Bolton have been in decent form of late averaging 1.5 pts over last 10 games. First half we could and should have been at least two up and played very well imo. Age old story don''t take your chances and you pay. Second half don''t know what went wrong scrappy and even the chance had gone we were just as likely to lose as win at that stage

[quote user="Canary Utd II"]Once again Hogarse you question your knowledge of football!? How you can give your title to the thread as ''really good performance'' is beyond me... please just reiterate what was good about a 0-0 result against a struggling Championship side?You are.. it''s never been in doubt... CLUELESS![/quote]
You just really angry because Russel Martin scored yesterday? [:S]

[quote user="DDD In The Fine City"]Guess you''re just really easily pleased Hog, born and bred little old Norwich 😉👍[/quote]
Maybe, although I must reiterate I wasn''t happy with the result, I was just pleased to see us create some very, very good chances against a team that put 11 behind the ball, because that''s where we''ve struggled. Saying that, in pretty much every home game we''ve missed at least one absolute sitter.
I think back to yesterday:
Hanley had a free header
Maddison hit the post
Oliveira had a decent shot well saved
Maddison had a second shot although fairly routine save
Murphy delayed too much on a one-on-one
Leitner missed a one-on-one.
And that''s normally enough to win a game at home. Especially when the opposition had one flicked header no where near the goal all game in terms of chances.

@hoegsar

Of course it isn''t wrong to say we created enough in the first half to win it. The issue is we didn''t take any of them, yet played the second half like we had.

I think we saw how these Farke tactics can work at their best in the first half- incisive and quick when in the final third, lots of movement and players finding space. In the second we saw how they are at their worst- slow ponderous build up, little movement and everything played through the middle.

My main concern is our inability to adapt and change in the second half when it wasn''t working. Changes didn''t come until too late again and Srebny barely touched the ball as we didn''t adapt the style to suit the change of personnel.

Hogesar you mention Bolton putting eleven men behind the ball but fail to mention we put eleven men in the box when a lacklustre toothless in attack Bolton had a corner. For a team who obviously came here with the purpose of coming away with a draw it must have been a joy for them to sit back and watch us take our usual fifteen passes across the back to reach the halfway line.

At home we use to attack teams and it was good to watch, now we are dull and predictable. Teams in the top six score goals and dominate at home. With the likely departures I remain sceptically it will improve next year.

Lot’s of meaningless possession. Flattering to deceive again. Mid table mediocrity and that’s with Maddison! But, bumbling between tier 2 and 3 seems to be the limit of ambition for our supporters. Even 1p5wich are above us! What a fiasco.

I think I was a little drunk, but I don’t believe it was a good performance, terribly disappointing. But I wasn’t there, I was in Scotland, and being an Englishman in Scotland yesterday wasn’t good 😭

I think that this thread has as much to do with peoples'' psychology as their knowledge of football! It''s the old glass half full or half empty thing[:D].For my part, we look difficult to beat and that can take us a long way next year, especially if we can improve on chance creation and conversion. As several have said, it''s an obvious challenge for us and I''m sure that it will figure high in preparations for next year.In footballing terms, given what I have said above, I am more worried about the two soft goals we gave away from corners last week than our failure to convert chances. Having said that, as a fan, I would love to have seen some goals yesterday[:)]

I bet the same people calling for ambition are the ones stuck in 9-5 dead end jobs who turn up everyday, go through the motions and expect to be the boss in a year! 😂

Like it''s that easy and everyone''s doing it.......🙄

It was a long way off perfect, even in the first half. But we are a work in progress, and there is now progress to see. At the start of the season the defence was fragile, we struggled to play Farke’s possession based style and when we achieved the possession statistics he wants it was by playing the ball in our own half without any threat to the opposing goal.

Now, the defence is hugely improved, away at Derby and Wolves as well as at home to Middlesborough and Bolton we dominated possession, in the opposing half too, and carved out plenty of scoring opportunities.

Of course, there’s one big improvement to come. Actually, converting the chances. If we can’t do that, then ultimately the Webber / Farke experiment will fail. But, progress to see never the less, and they''ve earned time in my book.

''Now, the defence is hugely improved, away at Derby and Wolves as well as at home to Middlesborough and Bolton we dominated possession, in the opposing half too, and carved out plenty of scoring opportunities.''

This is the bit I struggle with. I guess everyone has a different opinion on what a goal scoring chance is, but I don''t see ''plenty'' of goalscoring chances in those games, except fort the 1st half v Bolton.

I see few ''genuine'' chances and lots of pot shots from distance that rarely force the keeper into great saves

Yes, there was some nice football on show in the first half but people seem to forget that the game is about goals and winning. The booing at the end tells us all we need to know about how the vast majority viewed the game.p