Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Do we really need a rich investor?

Morty wrote:

Ah right, gotcha. I use BT for Broadband and phone (by far the best Broadband service I have used) and that also gets me a discount on BT sport, I think I pay a fiver a month. I have a Kodi box, which is great in theory, but you can''t beat Sky HD, the Kodi streams don''t even come close.

Thanks Morty, that sounds like a good way to go for me personally and I''d get the BT football as an extra! Time to give those nice people at Sky a ring....

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Morty wrote:

Ah right, gotcha. I use BT for Broadband and phone (by far the best Broadband service I have used) and that also gets me a discount on BT sport, I think I pay a fiver a month. I have a Kodi box, which is great in theory, but you can''t beat Sky HD, the Kodi streams don''t even come close.

Thanks Morty, that sounds like a good way to go for me personally and I''d get the BT football as an extra! Time to give those nice people at Sky a ring....[/quote]If I was given a choice, its not getting far off where I would choose BT sport over Sky Sports. I think the only thing I''d really miss is Sky Sports News.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Like the idea of the NOW TV £6.99 package you use LDC. Am I right in thinking that you can''t pause, rewind or record it though?[/quote]Also, an added bonus of the £6.99 day pass is that you get sky Sports News for 30 days as a freeby add on, so if you buy at least one a month, Sky Sports News is available all the time. 

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Hairy Canary"]Morty wrote:

Thanks Morty, that sounds like a good way to go for me personally and I''d get the BT football as an extra! Time to give those nice people at Sky a ring....[/quote]If I was given a choice, its not getting far off where I would choose BT sport over Sky Sports. I think the only thing I''d really miss is Sky Sports News.[/quote]@Morty, like you I get broadband and a phone package from BT and an entertainment + (I think they call it now) package from Sky which includes SSN.  Still would give you the option of a cheap BT sport if you wanted it.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Hairy Canary"]Morty wrote:

Thanks Morty, that sounds like a good way to go for me personally and I''d get the BT football as an extra! Time to give those nice people at Sky a ring....[/quote]If I was given a choice, its not getting far off where I would choose BT sport over Sky Sports. I think the only thing I''d really miss is Sky Sports News.[/quote]@Morty, like you I get broadband and a phone package from BT and an entertainment + (I think they call it now) package from Sky which includes SSN.  Still would give you the option of a cheap BT sport if you wanted it.[/quote]I weigh it all up, and however much Sky Sports is, I deem it not a massive issue, in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn''t hugely miss Sky Sports, but do like the convenience of just being able to watch something when I want, without faff.End of the day its about your budget. If I was wanting to cut costs from my monthly bills, Sky would likely go.And on that pun, my son can also watch my sky sports package on his ipad at uni, as I have given him my Sky Sports Go log in.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Hairy Canary"]Morty wrote:

Thanks Morty, that sounds like a good way to go for me personally and I''d get the BT football as an extra! Time to give those nice people at Sky a ring....[/quote]If I was given a choice, its not getting far off where I would choose BT sport over Sky Sports. I think the only thing I''d really miss is Sky Sports News.[/quote]@Morty, like you I get broadband and a phone package from BT and an entertainment + (I think they call it now) package from Sky which includes SSN.  Still would give you the option of a cheap BT sport if you wanted it.[/quote]I weigh it all up, and however much Sky Sports is, I deem it not a massive issue, in the grand scheme of things. I wouldn''t hugely miss Sky Sports, but do like the convenience of just being able to watch something when I want, without faff.End of the day its about your budget. If I was wanting to cut costs from my monthly bills, Sky would likely go.And on that pun, my son can also watch my sky sports package on his ipad at uni, as I have given him my Sky Sports Go log in.[/quote][Y]

Never bothered with Sky but when BT p*ssed me off more than enough times Sky were desperate for my custom. The salesperson was new and offered me stuff at a price she shouldn''t have and after listening to the call they had to honour it.

I have Unlimited Fibre, Line Rental, Sky Q for £27 a month. Basic package. Already have sky sports through a split sky go account with a mate.

I lost BT Sports, but then my company phone contract gave it to me free too. So it''s all worked out quite cheap!

I suspect not in circumstances where your ambition is limited to the wildernesss of the lower leagues or where you have not completed the fire sale of any remaining playing assets.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]I suspect not in circumstances where your ambition is limited to the wildernesss of the lower leagues or where you have not completed the fire sale of any remaining playing assets.[/quote][:D]

Answer to the OP: YES in case you have ambition and want to be a settled PL side , competing and able to keep your star players. NO in case you choose for CHP mediocrity with the odd high (1 or two seasons PL) and the odd low (14-20 league finish or even rel to league one).

I understand the mindset of many supporters who want the old days back and think we should be the club producing players and buying young players to develop them, etc...

I don''t really like the prospect of some American of oil sheik buying the club either...but I hate the mindset of the board now...no real ambition

As an exiled season ticket holder I found BT Sport to be pretty useless- most games they show I''m on the train to or from Norwich. Quite like being able to watch the Sunday games or the Championship on sky, plus I follow a few other sports they show so it makes sense for me.

Totally understand why others would cut it though- if you only watch football it is becoming harder and harder to justify.

I can''t believe that the Premier League/Football League hasn''t got a NFL/WWE online platform where you pay a monthly fee for live games and other content

Or they drop this idea of not showing games at 3pm Saturday so more people go to games as I''m not sure there is any evidence to support the theory

I would pay 30 a month happily if I could watch our away games

I have the full sky package including BT Sports, the British Media don''t show enough though, they should be able to broadcast ANY football match from any of the top leagues.

Kodi and Streaming sites work well when the matches are only shown abroad...

I agree the Sky £6.99 option is good, and i used it before i got my current setup and think that they''d make a lot more money with a PAYG subscription and more content rather than the monthlies.

So back to the question, do i think we need a new "rich" investor, i''m not sure, I am inclined to say no. Mainly because i''d hate for us to become a play thing for someone to get bored of, then leave us in a pile of debt.

I think that we are an underestimated team, and we should be a stable premier side. But due to being underestimated our board settles for managers and players who wish to come rather than being ambitious and aiming for what we need

Do we really need a rich investor?.......Whatever for? Home games with at least 26,000+ in the stadium whatever Division we play in - or what the standard or quality of the soccerkickyfootybally is in the offing.......Wages an'' bills paid.....Sorted!.....

Now, if the attendance were to drop by around 10,000? Watch the Hierarchy Jump........Never gonna happen though, is it?

A rich investor will only be needed if the club stagnates.

The main catalyst for that would be a decrease in season ticket holders. And that looks unlikely for the foreseeable future. And another would be if we had to mortgage the ground.

A few years in the Championship is not the end of the world and the right management both on and off could see the club maintain its current status of marginally debt free in all aspects.

Little things can change fortunes and it has to be said that holding on to the lead against Liverpool and beating Sunderland would probably have seen us still in the Prem.

And just maybe holding on to the lead at St James Park this season could have seen a far different outcome to this season.

I

the binners have got their''s ...................  he''s a binvestorand Swansea also have one .................. he''s a arf arf

Enjoyed a very fine meal with Delia pre match Saturday and to be fair a very comfy seat. What more can I ask for

I get Sky Sports during test match season and/or when Norwich are in the Premier league. Otherwise I make do with BT Sport, Sky Sports News and Sky Sports Mix (the latter two being free with Virgin Media). As BT Sport has started to get cricket and now has UFC, I can see my need for Sky becoming less. Oh, and obviously that fire sale Highland mentions will prevent our PL return ever....

On the original point though...

I''ve long been pretty anti the big money investor- I don''t like the idea of being beholden to one individual and being constantly concerned they might decide to give it up. In an ideal world we''d be fan owned in the way Pompey or AFC Wimbledon are, however that is highly unrealistic.

The next best case would be an owner like Gibson at Middlesbrough or Coates at Stoke- rich owners with deep pockets and a very real connection to the club/community.

The reality though is that big money owners have become so commonplace that they''re now buying Championship teams- Wolves, Villa and Sheffield Wednesday were all bought by foreign investors while still being in the Championship.

This season and next season were always going to be our best chances to springboard back into the Premier League due to parachute payments and a core of players with Premier League/Championship promotion experience. If we fail in those two years then I think we may seriously struggle without outside investment.

I took on BT just to get fibre optic as SKY wouldn''t do itin my area.

Since then BT have been absolutely useless and not at all performing for anyone other than shareholders (and even that they messed up).

I have the lowest contract possible with SKY so that Mrs KG can rewind and pause,

I do have an android box and mobdro so haven''t suffered other than very little in HD.

But they have now decided to raise their tariffs. But because of legislation which means they cannot raise it above inflation, they will release subscribers from their contracts, penalty free, as long as it is within 30 days of receiving the letter of notification.

But they will haggle as will SKY.