Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Do we really need a rich investor?

You can''t get BT, but it''s everything Sky has - effectively its Sky under a different guise. So you buy passes for Sky Movies and Sky Entertainment so you can watch stuff like Game of Thrones etc.

Cheers HHS.

Is there scope (or another ''box'') to add BT to this?

Am I presuming right, that with this pass, can you get standard Sky programmes (or is this what you mean by Sky Entertainment?), as well as their Sport channels?

Yeah you can get standard sky programmes, news, Sky one etc plus all the sport channels. I believe you can only get Bt sports via a full Sky tv satellite package or through virgin tv etc but I may be wrong. Deffo not on now tv

[quote user="Hoola Han Solo"]Yeah you can get standard sky programmes, news, Sky one etc plus all the sport channels. I believe you can only get Bt sports via a full Sky tv satellite package or through virgin tv etc but I may be wrong. Deffo not on now tv[/quote]BT is a standard for me now, they are serious about getting a bigger chunk of games. I get it cheap as have my broadband through them. Pretty much the only place to see most Champion''s league now.

Fortunately I get to steam BT via my mates subscription and conversely I''ve given him my Sky Go login. They get some good games on there, high profile ones too. I stuck on Citeh/Spurs after getting home from the Carra on Saturday.

I have Sky Sports at the minute, but my subscription ends soon. Simply cannot justify £100+ a month anymore.

Getting Virgins basic TV package for £30 a month (inc internet/phone) with Now TV full package (minus sports) for 20 a month then will cherry pick games I want to watch, stream the other games or simply listen in the radio

Good luck trying to cancel.

You will get an offer a lot cheaper than that once you finally convince them you want to leave.

I have a Kodi firestick, about £60 and so easy to navigate. If you use mombra you can get Sky, Bt in a very straight forward way.

Oh I have cancelled. They offered me a package minus sports for 75, then something for 55. Simply told them not interested and wanted to cancel.

I cancelled, and have ignored about 100calls from Sky since - Virgin installed this Friday

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]Oh I have cancelled. They offered me a package minus sports for 75, then something for 55. Simply told them not interested and wanted to cancel.

I cancelled, and have ignored about 100calls from Sky since - Virgin installed this Friday[/quote]

I find companies that give you an offer when you try to cancel are just taking the mick.  I always say to them if you really wanted to encourage me to stay with you, you would have given me a better deal in the first place.  Business is done these days in reverse to how it used to be - you fawn after new customers and rip off the ones that have been loyal to you.

The ''Cancellations'' department is actually the ''Customer Retention'' department, designed to black you from cancelling

I told them that I had a deal with Virgin for £29 - they then tried explaining how they were going to offer me a great package (minus sport) for £75...

The thing is, with all of this, is that Sky is simply better than all of them.And they know it, which is why they can charge what they do. But I can''t, for the life of me, understand why anyone would have Sky movies, with Amazon and Netflix being so much better.

[quote user="Rogue Baboon"]I have Sky Sports at the minute, but my subscription ends soon. Simply cannot justify £100+ a month anymore.

Getting Virgins basic TV package for £30 a month (inc internet/phone) with Now TV full package (minus sports) for 20 a month then will cherry pick games I want to watch, stream the other games or simply listen in the radio[/quote]That seems a lot, do you have full package and multiroom?

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Like the idea of the NOW TV £6.99 package you use LDC. Am I right in thinking that you can''t pause, rewind or record it though?[/quote]

No, you can''t do those things, but I usually record it on to a dvd recorder I''ve got so can always look in more detail afterwards. I got my Now tv box (its very small btw) from Sainsburys!

I pay £100+ as well. Beginning to realise I need to sort something better. That covers phone, broadband, TV with Sports and HD. No movies.

The service is good but just sat on my ar$e as the price slowly rose.

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]I pay £100+ as well. Beginning to realise I need to sort something better. That covers phone, broadband, TV with Sports and HD. No movies.

The service is good but just sat on my ar$e as the price slowly rose.[/quote]Ah right, gotcha. I use BT for Broadband and phone (by far the best Broadband service I have used) and that also gets me a discount on BT sport, I think I pay a fiver a month.I have a Kodi box, which is great in theory, but you can''t beat Sky HD, the Kodi streams don''t even come close.

We most certainly DO need a rich investor, but it has to be the right man/consortium.

Our opinion should not be whether we need one or not, but more whether we are prepared to take the obvious risk involved when acquiring new ownership.

I am veering towards thinking it might be a risk worth taking but, as ever, things are never clear cut and I suppose we have to be content with Delia''s ownership and wait patiently to see how she gets on in the next two seasons, and our position at the end of the next might make decision making easier.

I was not unhappy with our status as one of the less wealthy in the Premier League. Much more so, however, with this status pertaining to the Championship.

There will only be one way to go eventually as finances more and more dominate the modern game.

We have been able to maintain our position in the top two leagues (albeit one blip) for a long time now and it has been based upon selling players, TV money and good support. This ''comfort zone'' will seemingly be harder to maintain as the seasons go by and with a relatively ''impoverished'' owner.

Currently our biggest asset lies in the value of the squad and not in the bank balance. ''Sell to buy'' is the mantra and it is not difficult to assume that our control of the financial situation over the last few years could have been a bit better. Certainly too much money has been paid out in the transfer market (and wages) for players who have not lived up to their cost (RVW, Naismith (?) Jarvis, Andreu. etc.) Our financial status demands that we need get consistently good value from our dealings, both buying and selling.

We have been amongst the biggest spenders in this league since the end of last season, but this seems to have come to an end.

Most of us, it seems, would be happy to see Robbie Brady depart for £12m or so in order to strengthen other areas of need. If this comes about we might, just might, turn the corner. An £8m flop hits us harder than most other clubs in and around the Premier League.

We need to weaken before we strengthen because we do not have this ''rich investor.'' This is repeating past experiences and I would hope that this does not indicate that we are standing still at a time when so many other clubs seem to be evolving.

I look at the bottom half of the Premier League and most if not all, of those clubs have been at our level or below in the last five years. Ditto, the teams above us in our league at the moment.

You have to make the distinction between "owner" and "investor" though.Any investor will want some kind of control, ie a majority shareholding.Delia and Michael are actually perfect owners for our football club, they just aren''t rich enough to match some fans ambition.

[quote user="Felixfan"]See my thread on Bernie Ecclestone. Local lad with £8.5bn in his back pocket.[/quote]I''d be happy with some of his loot, but not sure I''d want him in charge of anything.

Surely the ambition of ALL fans should be that we play at the highest level possible. Have the best teams and the best players at Carrow Road on a regular basis and have the media exposure and status that being a member of the Premier League involves.

I know one or two have expressed a liking for life in the much more unpredictable Championship and a disliking for our usual ''backs to the wall'' existence in the PL, but I feel that most of us would consistently wish for promotion sooner rather than later.

I look at the situation down the road. Many more of them are firmly convinced that they are content to be in the second tier. They are devoid of ambition because they have worked out that promotion for their club in the near/distant future is highly unlikely.

We, however, must retain that ambition as long as it is realistic, which it currently is.

Piling up the debt and eventually becoming also-rans in the Championship is not the direction I would wish NCFC to go.

They now fear relegation more than aspire to promotion at ITFC. The scapegoat is largely McCarthy (due to his dire football) when really it should be directed at the WRONG rich investor/owner.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Surely the ambition of ALL fans should be that we play at the highest level possible. Have the best teams and the best players at Carrow Road on a regular basis and have the media exposure and status that being a member of the Premier League involves.

I know one or two have expressed a liking for life in the much more unpredictable Championship and a disliking for our usual ''backs to the wall'' existence in the PL, but I feel that most of us would consistently wish for promotion sooner rather than later.

I look at the situation down the road. Many more of them are firmly convinced that they are content to be in the second tier. They are devoid of ambition because they have worked out that promotion for their club in the near/distant future is highly unlikely.

We, however, must retain that ambition as long as it is realistic, which it currently is.

Piling up the debt and eventually becoming also-rans in the Championship is not the direction I would wish NCFC to go.

They now fear relegation more than aspire to promotion at ITFC. The scapegoat is largely McCarthy (due to his dire football) when really it should be directed at the WRONG rich investor/owner.[/quote]It has to be tempered with realism though.And Ipswich fans have probably come to accept the reality of their situation.But we honestly couldn''t be further from where they are now, and all this doom and gloom that we will suddenly turn into them within two years, is just nonsense. And while every time "be careful what you wish for" is talked about someone will say "What about Leicester, Southampton etc" the comparison between us and Ipswich regarding geographical area and relative size, is a good one, and it couldn''t illustrate more how to do football, as compared how not to.The reality is that we are rebuilding our squad, and it will take this window, and the summer, to do it. I think the general feeling is that if we make the play offs, fine, but really its looking like the emphasis is next season.

Thanks to you guys with the info but i had heard of Now TV and had a sneaky feeling that was what Lakey was on about but a year or so ago i did some research about them and came up with some horror stories about paying for games that then could never be viewed and also subscribers having great difficulty in cancelling subscriptions etc so i took the view that it was best to stick with the devil i knew. Interestingly with regard to Sky costs i pay £84 a month for Sky Sports, the variety package and HD but not Sky Movies plus Sky Broadland and Sky Talk telephone.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Thanks to you guys with the info but i had heard of Now TV and had a sneaky feeling that was what Lakey was on about but a year or so ago i did some research about them and came up with some horror stories about paying for games that then could never be viewed and also subscribers having great difficulty in cancelling subscriptions etc so i took the view that it was best to stick with the devil i knew. Interestingly with regard to Sky costs i pay £84 a month for Sky Sports, the variety package and HD but not Sky Movies plus Sky Broadland and Sky Talk telephone.[/quote]The horror stories are just that, horror stories.  I''ve had not even a hint of a problem with the now tv box and even if you take on a month pass which means it carries on until you cancel it, you can cancel with a couple of clicks online.  It is a really easy way of just buying the odd thing you want to watch. 

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Felixfan"]See my thread on Bernie Ecclestone. Local lad with £8.5bn in his back pocket.[/quote]I''d be happy with some of his loot, but not sure I''d want him in charge of anything.[/quote]When Bernie was involved with QPR he used to get bored and go home at half-time. He was once asked about the team and said he liked ''the one who scores the goals'' and ''the goalkeeper''.Bernie will probably spend his retirement at his farm in Brazil.

"But we honestly couldn''t be further from where they (Ipswich) are now, and all this doom and gloom that we will suddenly turn into them within two years, is just nonsense."

True their''s has been a slow, agonising and painful decline to the extent that there currently seems to be no way out.

The next two seasons will define our future. It is not inconceivable that we follow their path should we not get up there and our hierarchy remains intact AS DEBT WILL MOUNT.

It is equally not inconceivable that we emerge once again as a Premier League outfit.

The gap in attainment/status between the two clubs has never been greater but their decline cannot be ignored in the decision making processes pertaining to Carrow Road. There remain many basic similarities between the two clubs. Rural, more or less the same size, decent support.

Recent history puts us very much in the driving seat as far as prospects go. They need to live in the past with a few past glories to divert their attentions from the present.

@Morty

Yeah it''s calls, broadband and full tv package, with sky go extra on PS4 instead of multi room

It started off half price for 12 months for the full package (68quid, manageable), that has snuck up to 85quid (unlimited bb and sky go) but the half price deal is now ending so looking at around 120 per month - for the sake of losing some unwatched channels and sports I can get Virgin and Now TV and save 70 per month.

Sports I can watch on certain websites, or even listen on the radio - considering I go to all ncfc home games and listen to the away games, it''s then normally only Sunday Prem & Champions League games (which aren''t on sky anyway) it effects.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"But we honestly couldn''t be further from where they (Ipswich) are now, and all this doom and gloom that we will suddenly turn into them within two years, is just nonsense."

True their''s has been a slow, agonising and painful decline to the extent that there currently seems to be no way out.

The next two seasons will define our future. It is not inconceivable that we follow their path should we not get up there and our hierarchy remains intact AS DEBT WILL MOUNT.

It is equally not inconceivable that we emerge once again as a Premier League outfit.

The gap in attainment/status between the two clubs has never been greater but their decline cannot be ignored in the decision making processes pertaining to Carrow Road. There remain many basic similarities between the two clubs. Rural, more or less the same size, decent support.

Recent history puts us very much in the driving seat as far as prospects go. They need to live in the past with a few past glories to divert their attentions from the present.[/quote]Debt is absolutely fine, as long as it is manageable.If people can just have a little patience, and maybe take a step back, the board actually do have a plan, they just don''t have the money to implement it as quickly as we''d like.If the Murphy''s had been developed at Ipswich they would be out the door at a knockdown price.