Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

Penalties

Happy with Wes, it''s just one of those things, but I get the feeling Mr Howson would be quite reliable from the spot - a composed character.

[quote user="Lessingham Canary"]To be fair was a decent save, Wes usually quite cool, remember play off against the scummers.[/quote]

Yep, keeper did get down well to be fair and had been in quite inspired form so far in the match so it wasn''t a total shock in fairness. I think some have the ''Preston Dink'' too firmly etched in their memory, G - he also nailed one against Liverpool early this year if I remember rightly 👍

Yeh to echo the above posts it was a cracking save today by the Forest goalie so not the worst penalty in the world by Wes, but I do agree with LDC that he shouldn''t really be taking them. Wes''s record from the penalty spot for Norwich now stands at 12 scored and 6 missed so a conversion rate of 66.67% which isn''t fantastic at this level (sorry Wes!).

He''s also taken 6 penalties since 2011/12 (post Preston dink gate) and missed 2 of them (vs. Forest today and Leicester). So no real improvement.

For those that need remembering, his other 4 misses were against Preston, QPR, Colchester (crossbar smash) and Southampton.

His best day was vs Sheffield United around Christmas 2010. Remember the 2 he scored to complete his hattrick? Great memories!

I''d like to see Brady take over them myself as he has a cracking left foot on him (as does Wes, but perhaps Brady will be more confident?).

And a further thought, who was the last reliable penalty taker for Notwich? We''ve often struggled in this area J feel. Holty wasn''t bad but I still remember him missing at least 2 or 3.

[quote user="morty"]Neil Adams had an excellent record.[/quote]

Good shout I remember him being reliable. Shows you how back in time we have to go though!

[quote user="Josh"][quote user="morty"]Neil Adams had an excellent record.[/quote]

Good shout I remember him being reliable. Shows you how back in time we have to go though![/quote]I don''t know if our game has changed, but it seems we really aren''t a side who has ever got penalties. If I was to try and reason it out it would be the real scarcity of a very pacey forward, most likely to draw a challenge.Whens the last time we had real pace up front?

I remember a cup game at the Vetch Field (Swansea) we won a penalty and Adams stepped up to take it. Pretty sure he''d never missed one (or at least had missed very few) and I thought - in my naïve youth - that it would be a good idea to take a photo (pre-mobile days!) just as he hit it. I did - flash went off - penalty went wide. My dad always said it was my fault!

One of my fave players of that era. He wasn''t quite Ruel Fox, but was still a damn fine player.

What''s with this unofficial, user-enforced rule that''s cropped up recently that people aren''t allowed to express anything other than 100% positivity after a win? I studied the forum Code of Conduct and it doesn''t mention it at all.

Anyway, I love Wes as much as the next guy but I''d like to see Pritchard taking them when/if he becomes a consistent starter for us.

[quote user="tired"]What''s with this unofficial, user-enforced rule that''s cropped up recently that people aren''t allowed to express anything other than 100% positivity after a win? I studied the forum Code of Conduct and it doesn''t mention it at all.

Anyway, I love Wes as much as the next guy but I''d like to see Pritchard taking them when/if he becomes a consistent starter for us.[/quote]85% is acceptable.But jeez, we have won 3 times in a week, what more do you want?

I''m confused. After years of Lakey''s Lectures about positivity -  three wins in a week and he starts a negative thread - about Wes hoolahan of all people [:S]Let''s forget the part Wes has played in those three games, the miles he has run, the passes he''s made, the tackles, dribbles, nutmegs, etc plus a goal, let''s concentrate on one kick which the keeper saved. .ONE BLOODY KICK I ASK YER!!! [:@]No credit to the keeper for calling it right and making a good save oh, no, all wes''s fault! Let''s just add Wes to the list of Penalty kickers Lakey hates. WE must unite against this man who single-handedly drove Snoddy out of our club, we cannot allow the same to happen to Wes. [8o|]

[quote user="lappinitup"]No credit to the keeper for calling it right ...........|][/quote]What did he call it ?George, or Brian ?

Tbf, Wes doesn''t exude confidence from the spot and doesn''t Brady take them for ROI? Well, one at least.

I wouldn''t want CJ on them either, so who?

Who was our last "solid" penalty taker? Clingan? Adams? Iwan and Holt were ok, Bellamy was pants despite being easily one of the best players I''ve seen in the yellow.

Mark Rivers was pretty reliable. Brady or Howson for the next one or just let Wes continue? We''re not blessed with options.

Or maybe he''s just an attention whore who swims against the tide for the sake of getting replies which he can then keep responding to in an endless cycle of "stupid".

[quote user="Katie Borkins"]Or maybe he''s just an attention whore who swims against the tide for the sake of getting replies which he can then keep responding to in an endless cycle of "stupid".[/quote]Interesting.*Nods head and strokes chin*

[quote user="lappinitup"]I''m confused. After years of Lakey''s Lectures about positivity -  three wins in a week and he starts a negative thread - about Wes hoolahan of all people [:S]Let''s forget the part Wes has played in those three games, the miles he has run, the passes he''s made, the tackles, dribbles, nutmegs, etc plus a goal, let''s concentrate on one kick which the keeper saved. .ONE BLOODY KICK I ASK YER!!! [:@]No credit to the keeper for calling it right and making a good save oh, no, all wes''s fault! Let''s just add Wes to the list of Penalty kickers Lakey hates. WE must unite against this man who single-handedly drove Snoddy out of our club, we cannot allow the same to happen to Wes. [8o|]

[/quote]

😂

I think it''s a fair point to be honest. As people will know I''m Wes''s biggest fan and I thought he was excellent yesterday but I have never felt confident seeing him take penalties as I always think he gives the keeper a chance and have seen him miss quite a few. In fact a few he has scored have been a bit unconvincing as well.

It didn''t harm us yesterday but I think it''s legitimate to discuss whether he should be our regular penalty taker.

I''m afraid it''s not legitimate Jim and the thread must be closed immediately. 3 wins on the trot, the message board is happy right now and we aim to keep it that way, no more Wes can''t take penalties talk, I thank you.

On a more positive note the little master was back to his best yesterday I thought and starting to bring the best out of Murph who I suspect is also enjoying not being shouted and bitched at by Naismith. Definite signs of team spirit.

Well this thread just sums this forum up in a nutshell.

Poster who gets a lot of (sometimes justified) stick makes a reasonable point.

Usual crowd pile in.

Buh posts nothing of any use.

Someone brings up irrelevant posts from the past.

Arguments ensue.

It is entirely reasonable to discuss our penalty takers poor record from the spot the day after he has missed one. This ''just enjoy the win'' stuff is bollocks unless you want a forum that just consists of threads that say ''YAY WE WON!!!''

This forum is meant for discussing Norwich matches. As in all football matches there will positives and negatives to take from it. Both sides are equally valid things to discuss.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Katie Borkins"]Or maybe he''s just an attention whore who swims against the tide for the sake of getting replies which he can then keep responding to in an endless cycle of "stupid".[/quote]Interesting.*Nods head and strokes chin*[/quote][quote user="YankeeCanary"]
Whenever I see Lakey starting another thread I always think of Neil Warnock. You know......
Is it just me?
[/quote]

Great posting fellas.  Great posting.  [Y]

Why was it saved ? Because Wes side footed it, thus little power and the goalie guessed right. if you''re gonna hit it low you need to put your foot though it, that way the goalie can not get down to it fast enough. I prefer the placed ones into one of the top corners.

As far as I am aware, nobody has said "don''t discuss it".

It is the hypocrisy of someone who bleats on about positivity and how we should all pull together, and then starts a thread about a missed penalty in the context of an away win, that I object to.

Players miss penalties. I guess the team and manager know who our best penalty takers are and that Wes doesn''t take them as the result of a lottery draw. Should he be replaced because he missed one? Not for me.

Katie Borkins wrote the following post at 18/09/2016 1:38 AM:

Or maybe he''s just an attention ** who swims against the tide for the sake of getting replies which he can then keep responding to in an endless cycle of "stupid".

morty wrote the following post at 18/09/2016 1:47 AM:

Katie Borkins wrote:

Or maybe he''s just an attention ** who swims against the tide for the sake of getting replies which he can then keep responding to in an endless cycle of "stupid".

Interesting.

*Nods head and strokes chin*

Like many people on here I find LDC strange with some of his comments ........ but not all.

This is a valid thread about a valid subject (even Morty made valid contributions regarding Neil Adams earlier) that many people have contributed to.

The one thing I did feel a certainty was that it would receive unnecessary comments from the usual contributors. Why do a few people on here always look to put him down regardless of the subject being discussed?

Had this thread been started by anyone else a more sensible discussion, without all the childish, snide remarks, would have taken place.

For my part, I too am not filled with confidence when Wes takes a penalty, I always feel there is a chance he will not score.

Also for my part, if Robbie Brady can confidently score in a pressure situation in the Euros, in preference to Wes, then he would be my choice of penalty taker.

Wes is my favourite ever City player but in fairness he doesn''t strike me as a natural penalty taker. Although I can''t see too many obvious candidates, Brady looks like a good shout as a replacement, but to be honest I think Wes will take the next one anyway.