Sign in to follow this  
spencer 1970

Timm the number 4 is number...

Does that mean we have another Defender/Defensive midfielder coming in, or is it me being all old-school and players like the higher number these days...odd as he''s worn 4 before, I wonder?

I''d prefer to have the vacant no''11 shirt filled by another striker TBH.

Very odd!

I wonder why the No. 4 has been left vacant, unless he chose that number for some reason. He''s worn 15 at Nurnberg, and was 5 for Wolfsburg.

Maybe no.4 has been permanently retired whilst everyone still mourns the loss of Bradley Johnson...

[quote user="AJ"]Very odd!

I wonder why the No. 4 has been left vacant, unless he chose that number for some reason. He''s worn 15 at Nurnberg, and was 5 for Wolfsburg.

Maybe no.4 has been permanently retired whilst everyone still mourns the loss of Bradley Johnson...[/quote]

Just odd. In reality, 3,5,7,9 are not any odder than 17 or 99. Maybe he''s got something against even numbers. :)

[quote user="lake district canary"]Centre backs are trditionally numbers 5 and 6, with 2 and 3 the right and left backs.  Number 4 is usually a midfielders''s number. 

[/quote]

Lake is correct.

Make a note of the date.

LDC I think you will find number 4 is a CB number remember steve bruce ? No 5 is CM then number 6 CB

but its all changed now .........

I reckon 4, 5, & 6 we''re the norm numbers for CB''s once 4-4-2 came into play more, but as you say, its all gone now with the squad numbers. Strickers with the number 7, pffft, whatever next. ;)

Who is this Swedish Dane then?

[quote user="norfolkngood"]LDC I think you will find number 4 is a CB number remember steve bruce ? No 5 is CM then number 6 CB

but its all changed now .........[/quote]

Correct, ''tradionally'' 4 + 5 were CB,

However along came the evolution of the DM some 15-17, years ago, all of a sudden it was ''cool'' for DMs to wear 4.

Somebody - I have Rob Ullathorne in mind - played as sweeper for us in the early 90''s and wore number 11. Was it traditional for this position to be allocated 11? Perhaps this was after the disbanding of the 1-11 number format. Memory fails me...though after yesterday I bloody well remember Le Tissier ripping us a new one in the 4-5 defeat!

[quote user="spencer 1970"]I reckon 4, 5, & 6 we''re the norm numbers for CB''s once 4-4-2 came into play more, but as you say, its all gone now with the squad numbers. Strickers with the number 7, pffft, whatever next. ;)

Who is this Swedish Dane then?[/quote]

I think you might find he is a Danish Swede

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Traditionally 4 is Right Half, 5 is Centre Half and six is Left Half...[/quote]

3 halfs? lightweight