Sign in to follow this  
Erik the Viking

Investment

Yeah to Norwich specifically which is great. But the transport links to Norwich from the rest of Norfolk (Where most people in Norfolk actually live) are horribly outdated.

It''s not just that, when towns like Yarmouth and Lowestoft are shut off from the rest oif the world due to poor roads iut means a lot of people living there won''t have any money so any businesses moving there won''t make anything.

Investing in Norwich means just investing in that one city, there''s still no money in the rest of the county. Upgrading the road in Elvedon isn''t enough. Anyone investing in a London club can expect to see income from people all around the country.

It''s not just that, like I said, the media completely ignore us. If you wanted to invest into us to promote you''re brand on our shirt or hordings it would be pointless because we never get any media coverage. We get seconds every MOTD and we''re rarely ever on TV at Carrow Road.

I love this club but we''re just not attractive to an investor. We''re lucky as hell to have someone like Delia. I wish people would stop b1tching about her

[quote user="Ricky Spanish"]Yeah to Norwich specifically which is great. But the transport links to Norwich from the rest of Norfolk (Where most people in Norfolk actually live) are horribly outdated.

It''s not just that, when towns like Yarmouth and Lowestoft are shut off from the rest oif the world due to poor roads iut means a lot of people living there won''t have any money so any businesses moving there won''t make anything.

Investing in Norwich means just investing in that one city, there''s still no money in the rest of the county. Upgrading the road in Elvedon isn''t enough. Anyone investing in a London club can expect to see income from people all around the country.

It''s not just that, like I said, the media completely ignore us. If you wanted to invest into us to promote you''re brand on our shirt or hordings it would be pointless because we never get any media coverage. We get seconds every MOTD and we''re rarely ever on TV at Carrow Road.

I love this club but we''re just not attractive to an investor. We''re lucky as hell to have someone like Delia. I wish people would stop b1tching about her[/quote]I don''t entirely buy into your theory.27,000 match day tickets creates the same money as 27,000 tickets in any other part of the country.So why would someone say, invest in West Brom, Crystal palace or Swansea, when they turn over less money than we do. And I doubt investors come into any club thinking "Right, I want to attract another 10,000 supporters.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jacko"]What about that massive amount of time and money that has just spent duelling Elveden? Or did I miss something?[/quote]Indeed, Norfolk is hardly darkest Peru.[/quote]As far as the transport authorities are concerned it might as well be.It certainly took a massive amount of time - over 40 years - to get the Elveden dualling built and I doubt the A47 will ever be fully dualled. As one of the primary roads in the county it''s pretty grim. As for a motorway ? Dream on.That said if decent roads were built Norwich would be on the radar of a lot more incomers and it''s uniqueness would suffer.On balance if you live in Norwich and don''t want to travel by road very often things are probably best left as they are.

[quote user="Wiz"]True ambition ''died'' when Smith and Jones took total control at City.

Although the happy clappers brigade will hate this, ''prudence'' now comes first under their near dictatorship.[/quote]As opposed to the total dictatorship of Chase.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]But what would someone invest in Norwich for Morty?[/quote]Its something I have been thinking about actually.People basically invest in football for two reasons. Either profit, or for the love of it.Now despite the huge sums touted around with the TV money, I don''t think theres huge profits in many football teams, I think you could probably get better returns on your money investing it in something else. But if you were going to invest you would want to ensure that there was as much stability as possible. I think that third parties still view us as a club that is always at risk of getting relegated, but I also think that with having a celebrity fan in charge ( and this is no criticism) that it is unlikely that someone could flash a bit of cash and buy a seat on the board, without being emotionally invested ( Tony Fernandes). So basically Delia and MWJ are saying "Hands off unless you have a genuine interest in Norwich City" Which is fine, but theres no denying it probably deters some investors.I think we are doing it the right way, but we are disadvantaging ourselves by doing the morally right thing.Heres a link detailing profit and loss from a few seasons ago :-http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club

[quote user="Wiz"] My first game was in 1957 morty, she followed some other team back then! [/quote]It has been well documented that Delia was introduced to football by MWJ so unless he started dating a schoolgirl yet another load of tosh Wiz.

If I came into some serious money, I doubt very much I''d invest it in a football team, even my own.

Can someone (Ricky Spanish?) explain the relevance of businesses relocating to Norwich/Norfolk and the impact that would have on the Football Club? What relevance is that to investment? All major football investments have come from extremely rich individuals, not because ICI (yes I know!) have pitched up in the same City. The locality of a business is not relevant to investment. What am I missing?

[quote user="Wiz"][quote user="lappinitup"]Are you now saying it was a mistake to get him out Wiz? Do you think he would have turned it round? [/quote] Who knows Lapps, the general opinion at protest meetings I went to suggested no.[/quote]That was never going to happen Wiz as Barclays Bank were about to claim the keys to Carrow Road due to short term unsecured loans being called in. That was when Geoffrey Watling stepped in and bought Chase out and thereby saving the club from such action. You may ask how i know and what i know is that Barclays had put plod on notice of what was about to happen in order to have a presence available should Watling have not been able to prevent it happening.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]But what would someone invest in Norwich for Morty?[/quote]Its something I have been thinking about actually.People basically invest in football for two reasons. Either profit, or for the love of it.Now despite the huge sums touted around with the TV money, I don''t think theres huge profits in many football teams, I think you could probably get better returns on your money investing it in something else. But if you were going to invest you would want to ensure that there was as much stability as possible. I think that third parties still view us as a club that is always at risk of getting relegated, but I also think that with having a celebrity fan in charge ( and this is no criticism) that it is unlikely that someone could flash a bit of cash and buy a seat on the board, without being emotionally invested ( Tony Fernandes). So basically Delia and MWJ are saying "Hands off unless you have a genuine interest in Norwich City" Which is fine, but theres no denying it probably deters some investors.I think we are doing it the right way, but we are disadvantaging ourselves by doing the morally right thing.Heres a link detailing profit and loss from a few seasons ago :-http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club[/quote]

Invest suggests a return buddy. But I guess the return could be pleasure rather than monetary. You and I love the club. We have spent a fair whack in our lives on tickets etc. In return we''ve seen football matches. But how much money would we just hand over to the club without expecting to see anything back? My honest answer to that is not a lot! If they were in trouble I''d like to think I''d help but I''m also mindful that last time they were in any sort of trouble us fans were demanding rebates on our season tickets. So really I think you can forget "for love". The chances of another Delia and Michael are about as unlikely as rocking horse poo!

So how about investment for a return? How does that work? Where is the return if the investment takes our spending to another level? A return is unlikely. Unless that investment is actually a loan that the club pays interest on and is secured against the assets...

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Wiz"]True ambition ''died'' when Smith and Jones took total control at City.

Although the happy clappers brigade will hate this, ''prudence'' now comes first under their near dictatorship.[/quote]As opposed to the total dictatorship of Chase.[/quote]

Shush Til, don''t ruin his story with a cold hard truth.

CrabbyCanary

Like Morty said. Investrors invest in football for two reasons. For the love of football and to make money.

We already have the two richest genuine Norwich fans as our majority shareholders so that option is null. The only reason someone else would pump money into this club is for profit.

We could attract 32''000 every home game but that would require substantial investement just for an extra 4''000 fans a week that won''t make them any money. People in Norfolk don''t have much money so they won''t make much on merchandice sales.

So the only option left for a club like ours is to advertise an investors business but considering how we get the least amount of coverage out of any PL club every single year (and investors notice this, trust me) we''re just not an attractive investment for anyone.

SWansea are the only comparable PL club to us and when Rodgers moved on he spent extortionate amounts of money on average players like Joe Allen so Swansea got a cash boost that allowed them to compete. Unlike the scum down the road we paid off our debts in the PL swo we had nowhere near the spending power of Swansea the last few years

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="lappinitup"]Are you now saying it was a mistake to get him out Wiz? Do you think he would have turned it round? [/quote] Who knows Lapps, the general opinion at protest meetings I went to suggested no.[/quote]That was never going to happen Wiz as Barclays Bank were about to claim the keys to Carrow Road due to short term unsecured loans being called in. That was when Geoffrey Watling stepped in and bought Chase out and thereby saving the club from such action. You may ask how i know and what i know is that Barclays had put plod on notice of what was about to happen in order to have a presence available should Watling have not been able to prevent it happening.[/quote]Forgot to mention those protest meetings you claim to have attended Wiz. Having been involved in the old NCISA from day one i recall the very first meeting at my old Pub on Silver Road,a meeting at Lakenham Leisure on Cricket Ground Road, one organised by Mike Lloyds City First at The Waterfront who subsequently came on board with NCISA and of course the meeting at St Andrews Hall. Can you refresh my memory as to which one you were at as i only remember one disabled fan in a wheelchair and that was dear old Keith Roads at any of these ''protest meetings'' ?

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="Wiz"][quote user="lappinitup"]Are you now saying it was a mistake to get him out Wiz? Do you think he would have turned it round? [/quote] Who knows Lapps, the general opinion at protest meetings I went to suggested no.[/quote]That was never going to happen Wiz as Barclays Bank were about to claim the keys to Carrow Road due to short term unsecured loans being called in. That was when Geoffrey Watling stepped in and bought Chase out and thereby saving the club from such action. You may ask how i know and what i know is that Barclays had put plod on notice of what was about to happen in order to have a presence available should Watling have not been able to prevent it happening.[/quote]Lucky nobody lifted Watling''s wallet, TIL.[:D]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"]As I''ve said before, the best way to protect the club is by making it into some kind of trust. Fans could have a say in its running without worrying about how deep their pockets are. Any outstanding shares could eventually be acquired by the trust and cancelled, so that the club becomes fully owned by the trust over time.Either D&M could hand the club over at some point in the future, or leave it to the trust upon their death. Either way it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for fans to take control and prevent the club from falling into the wrong hands.[/quote]
[/quote]It would be like walking into a Rolls Royce showroom and trying to buy the top of the range model with the contents of your piggy bank full of 2p and 1p pieces.

Minority investment, 25% as with Peak6 and Bournmouth could be the way for us to go. The Premier League is a global product which more investors in the US, who may well already have investments in American sports teams, NFL for example, are showing interest in.

Bringing these sorts of people with their business knowledge on to the board could be an advantage for us.

But these sorts of investors need to be nurtured, it''s not something that''s just going to happen, we need to be putting in the preparatory work if this is the way we want to go.

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"]As I''ve said before, the best way to protect the club is by making it into some kind of trust. Fans could have a say in its running without worrying about how deep their pockets are. Any outstanding shares could eventually be acquired by the trust and cancelled, so that the club becomes fully owned by the trust over time.Either D&M could hand the club over at some point in the future, or leave it to the trust upon their death. Either way it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for fans to take control and prevent the club from falling into the wrong hands.[/quote]
[/quote]It would be like walking into a Rolls Royce showroom and trying to buy the top of the range model with the contents of your piggy bank full of 2p and 1p pieces.[/quote]I would have put money on you having something negative to say about that post[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]But what would someone invest in Norwich for Morty?[/quote]Its something I have been thinking about actually.People basically invest in football for two reasons. Either profit, or for the love of it.Now despite the huge sums touted around with the TV money, I don''t think theres huge profits in many football teams, I think you could probably get better returns on your money investing it in something else. But if you were going to invest you would want to ensure that there was as much stability as possible. I think that third parties still view us as a club that is always at risk of getting relegated, but I also think that with having a celebrity fan in charge ( and this is no criticism) that it is unlikely that someone could flash a bit of cash and buy a seat on the board, without being emotionally invested ( Tony Fernandes). So basically Delia and MWJ are saying "Hands off unless you have a genuine interest in Norwich City" Which is fine, but theres no denying it probably deters some investors.I think we are doing it the right way, but we are disadvantaging ourselves by doing the morally right thing.Heres a link detailing profit and loss from a few seasons ago :-http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/apr/29/premier-league-finances-club-by-club[/quote]

Invest suggests a return buddy. But I guess the return could be pleasure rather than monetary. You and I love the club. We have spent a fair whack in our lives on tickets etc. In return we''ve seen football matches. But how much money would we just hand over to the club without expecting to see anything back? My honest answer to that is not a lot! If they were in trouble I''d like to think I''d help but I''m also mindful that last time they were in any sort of trouble us fans were demanding rebates on our season tickets. So really I think you can forget "for love". The chances of another Delia and Michael are about as unlikely as rocking horse poo!

So how about investment for a return? How does that work? Where is the return if the investment takes our spending to another level? A return is unlikely. Unless that investment is actually a loan that the club pays interest on and is secured against the assets...

[/quote]There is return though, if you look at the link I posted some clubs make profit, some don''t. But it is an absolute nightmare to quantify. It doesn''t appear to follow a pattern. Its not linked to league position, or success, and it isn''t a constant, season to season. And yes, the return comes in the form paid in dividends to shareholders, who have in essence loaned the clubs money.I think we all know the ideal answer is to find another Delia, but about ten times richer. Not too likely.But I think that the current tempo of spending, and the rush to pay off all the debts is the beginning of the succession plan, to make us a more attractive prospect for outside investment.

[quote user="morty"]the rush to pay off all the debts is the beginning of the succession plan to make us a, more attractive prospect for outside investment.[/quote]Lovely idea Morty but not true. Bowkett (I think) had the debt extended when we were relegated to the 3rd division on the condition it was repaid in full within two years of reaching the Prem.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="morty"]the rush to pay off all the debts is the beginning of the succession plan to make us a, more attractive prospect for outside investment.[/quote]Lovely idea Morty but not true. Bowkett (I think) had the debt extended when we were relegated to the 3rd division on the condition it was repaid in full within two years of reaching the Prem.[/quote]Yes, I know that was a condition, doesn''t make my theory completely off the wall though.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"]As I''ve said before, the best way to protect the club is by making it into some kind of trust. Fans could have a say in its running without worrying about how deep their pockets are. Any outstanding shares could eventually be acquired by the trust and cancelled, so that the club becomes fully owned by the trust over time.Either D&M could hand the club over at some point in the future, or leave it to the trust upon their death. Either way it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for fans to take control and prevent the club from falling into the wrong hands.[/quote]
[/quote]It would be like walking into a Rolls Royce showroom and trying to buy the top of the range model with the contents of your piggy bank full of 2p and 1p pieces.[/quote]I would have put money on you having something negative to say about that post[;)][/quote]No Morty just a dose of realism surrounding the hype put about by some.A touch of research going back over the years might prove beneficial. [;)]

[quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"]As I''ve said before, the best way to protect the club is by making it into some kind of trust. Fans could have a say in its running without worrying about how deep their pockets are. Any outstanding shares could eventually be acquired by the trust and cancelled, so that the club becomes fully owned by the trust over time.Either D&M could hand the club over at some point in the future, or leave it to the trust upon their death. Either way it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for fans to take control and prevent the club from falling into the wrong hands.[/quote]
[/quote]It would be like walking into a Rolls Royce showroom and trying to buy the top of the range model with the contents of your piggy bank full of 2p and 1p pieces.[/quote]I would have put money on you having something negative to say about that post[;)][/quote]No Morty just a dose of realism surrounding the hype put about by some.A touch of research going back over the years might prove beneficial. [;)][/quote]I haven''t seen hype.I think its a good idea, in principal, and my opinion is not based on who is running it, or whatever history there may be.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="TIL 1010"][quote user="morty"][quote user="9Зvintage"]As I''ve said before, the best way to protect the club is by making it into some kind of trust. Fans could have a say in its running without worrying about how deep their pockets are. Any outstanding shares could eventually be acquired by the trust and cancelled, so that the club becomes fully owned by the trust over time.Either D&M could hand the club over at some point in the future, or leave it to the trust upon their death. Either way it would be a once in a lifetime opportunity for fans to take control and prevent the club from falling into the wrong hands.[/quote]
[/quote]It would be like walking into a Rolls Royce showroom and trying to buy the top of the range model with the contents of your piggy bank full of 2p and 1p pieces.[/quote]I would have put money on you having something negative to say about that post[;)][/quote]No Morty just a dose of realism surrounding the hype put about by some.A touch of research going back over the years might prove beneficial. [;)][/quote]I haven''t seen hype.I think its a good idea, in principal, and my opinion is not based on who is running it, or whatever history there may be.[/quote]You are reading far too much into it Morty.The Trust was formed way back in 2002 and i attended the first meeting in The Russell Allison lounge. My views on it have remained constant throughout the years and those involved with the Trust since the early days will agree with me.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]There is return though, if you look at the link I posted some clubs make profit, some don''t. But it is an absolute nightmare to quantify. It doesn''t appear to follow a pattern. Its not linked to league position, or success, and it isn''t a constant, season to season. And yes, the return comes in the form paid in dividends to shareholders, who have in essence loaned the clubs money.I think we all know the ideal answer is to find another Delia, but about ten times richer. Not too likely.But I think that the current tempo of spending, and the rush to pay off all the debts is the beginning of the succession plan, to make us a more attractive prospect for outside investment.[/quote]

Theoretically Norwich shouldn''t make a profit Morty. The profit on your link was mostly the money kept to pay bonuses for staying in the EPL. But at the last presentation I saw it was explained quite clearly that the club is run "as a mutual" with all money made across the board ploughed into the football teams. This is why I wonder about people running on about loosening the purse strings!! So if we got this inverstment and then held some of it back to make a profit it would surely defeat the object.

There''s certainly never been any dividend paid to shareholders since I got mine in the early 80s. If that''s something that''s about to change then I gave two thirds of mine away at the wrong time[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]There is return though, if you look at the link I posted some clubs make profit, some don''t. But it is an absolute nightmare to quantify. It doesn''t appear to follow a pattern. Its not linked to league position, or success, and it isn''t a constant, season to season. And yes, the return comes in the form paid in dividends to shareholders, who have in essence loaned the clubs money.I think we all know the ideal answer is to find another Delia, but about ten times richer. Not too likely.But I think that the current tempo of spending, and the rush to pay off all the debts is the beginning of the succession plan, to make us a more attractive prospect for outside investment.[/quote]

Theoretically Norwich shouldn''t make a profit Morty. The profit on your link was mostly the money kept to pay bonuses for staying in the EPL. But at the last presentation I saw it was explained quite clearly that the club is run "as a mutual" with all money made across the board ploughed into the football teams. This is why I wonder about people running on about loosening the purse strings!! So if we got this inverstment and then held some of it back to make a profit it would surely defeat the object.

There''s certainly never been any dividend paid to shareholders since I got mine in the early 80s. If that''s something that''s about to change then I gave two thirds of mine away at the wrong time[;)]

[/quote]There may be no direct dividends, but the board members all get paid a pretty healthy salary though?I''m pretty sure they don''t do it for the love of it, and I am not implying they should do it for free. But I bet theres profit there somewhere.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]There may be no direct dividends, but the board members all get paid a pretty healthy salary though?I''m pretty sure they don''t do it for the love of it, and I am not implying they should do it for free. But I bet theres profit there somewhere.[/quote]No. Only McNally. The rest get nothing.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="morty"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]There may be no direct dividends, but the board members all get paid a pretty healthy salary though?I''m pretty sure they don''t do it for the love of it, and I am not implying they should do it for free. But I bet theres profit there somewhere.[/quote]

The only salary I know of is McNally''s. We''d need Purple to shed some light on anything that''s changed but that''s how it used to be. And I think we used to pay to reimburse the businesses our directors worked for to compensate for their time. Although that''s probably not relevant now. As for the owners - unless that''s changed they take no salary and no interest on their loans. In fact the last I heard they even paid for their tickets!