Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

The Return Of Wazzy's Ref Watch

Simon Hooper

First game in the Premier League for Simon today, and boy did it show.

Decision Making: Terrible!

Booked Tettey for what did look like a poor challenge, but after letting Murray get away with a similar one, and then commit a further 2 fouls with even getting a talking to is just inconsistent. There were a few blatant pushes which should have got a yellow card but didn''t. Then we get onto the big decisions... How he didn''t give a penalty when Jerome was cleaned out in the box is beyound me, but also how he disallowed Jerome''s goal also beggars belief. For a high foot to be considered dangerous there has to be someone who is close but cannot make contact with the ball due to the high foot OR someone who has had contact from the high foot - neither happened and why he disallowed it only he will know. The time wasting and theatrics again reared their ugly head, with neither being dealt with.

Don''t expect him to be in the middle for the Manchester derby any time soon!

Simon Hooper - Read the rules about dangerous play 2/10

If we have to put up with that standard of refereeing Wazzy, why the hell shouldn''t they?  Also I''d like to hear Mourinho''s reaction to a performance like that.................[;)]

My favourite refereeing moment was when Ruddy was told to retake a free-kick inside the penalty area because Martin received the ball while he was still standing in the penalty area. A free-kick, not a goal kick. What an incompetent moron.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]My favourite refereeing moment was when Ruddy was told to retake a free-kick inside the penalty area because Martin received the ball while he was still standing in the penalty area. A free-kick, not a goal kick. What an incompetent moron.[/quote]Good point!

First and hopefully last Premier league game - he shouldnt be allowed anywhere near a whistle and stopwatch ever again after this! Maybe we need a system where referees are deducted a percentage of their match fee if they make stupid decisions? something needs to be done to incentivise better quality refereeing!

Simply shouldn''t be in the professional game based on that. Hopefully we won''t see this clown again

He did what no ref should ever do. He altered the course of the game with a decision he dreamed up out of thin air.You can never be sure but I think we would have gone on to win that game, Palace were in disarray but he virtually gave it to them.

I also thought he and the assistant messed up that defensive freekick, but my father-in-law who spent many of his formative years refereeing said this was correct. Indeed, the FIFA rules state that a free kick to the defending team is not in play until it leaves the penalty area, so just the same as a goal kick.

So Mr Hooper did do one thing correct today.

In which case I shall defer to your father-in-law (and make a note for the next series of You are the Ref!).He still made some horrible errors involving much more important decisions and Alex Neil was very dignified in his post match comments when he could have torn into him.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Indeed, the FIFA rules state that a free kick to the defending team is not in play until it leaves the penalty area, so just the same as a goal kick.

So Mr Hooper did do one thing correct today.[/quote]
Who cares though? Referees need to get out of the way and let the players play.

One of the saddest things in football is that more often than not we are talking about the officials and not the football itself. So frustrating the worlds biggest game isn''t taking advantage of technology and rule improvements/implementation

(unt of a person as far as i''m concerned. Thinks the fans are there to see him.

A very small man cost us today. He shouldn''t be reffing at football league level let alone at CR ffs (he himself would probably consider himself too big for CR)

In front 0f 26''000 people you exposed yourself as a petty, small, pathetic individual. We may have lost today but at least all us fans can enjoy the fact we''re so much better than this arrogant POS with a whistle today.

''High boot'' ??? fu(king kill yourself, seriously! You nastly, petty little (unt!!

Being a small, ugly bald guy must be hard. But at least he gets to take it out on the ''unfashionable'' club to make himself feel better.

There is no possible excuse beside blindness or he''s been paid off. There''s no possible explanation.

Fu(k you, seriously fu(k you you pathetic, POS. I Paid £50 to watch a football game, not your ugly fu(king mug make bias decisions. I seriously hope this utter (unt dies of something horrible soon. Wasting my one day off a month so he can get paid off. Fu(king die

I''m pretty sure that the ref pointed to the halfway line to signal a goal after Jerome''s shot went in, so I wasn''t sure why it was then disallowed-I haven''t seen a replay yet, could it have been the linesman who played a part in getting it disallowed?

I don''t think the ref cost us the game today. Woeful finishing (Grabban particularly) and terrible defending (Martin particularly - on the third goal he committed the cardinal sin, jumped away and turned his back) is what cost us the game. I think we were naive in our play and even more naive was the decision to leave jet one and Redmond on the bench. And the return of olsson cannot come quick enough, as Brady need to play left side midfield, in place of Johnson, who for me was plain and simply - awful.

He ruled out a legitimate goal that would have made the score 2-2. At that point we would have chased less aggressively and Palace would not have had the space to score their third. So while it can''t be proved, there is a strong argument he cost us at least a point yesterday.

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I''m pretty sure that the ref pointed to the halfway line to signal a goal after Jerome''s shot went in, so I wasn''t sure why it was then disallowed-I haven''t seen a replay yet, could it have been the linesman who played a part in getting it disallowed?[/quote]

I think it''s just that pointing for a goal of a free kick is pretty much identical

Having just seen it again the one thing that really angers me is the fact that not one of the Palace players appealed for the decision. Mr Hooper should be taking a long hard look at himself this morning.

Looking

back at Simon Hooper’s decisions yesterday, Norwich City fans can feel

very disappointed and upset. I don’t blame him because if he’s given the

game he’s going to do the game, I blame the PGMOL management that

appointed him to it.

His first decision – the challenge by Glenn Murray on Graham Dorrans –

he lost his chance to stamp his authority on the game early on. You

look at the challenge – if it’s careless then it’s a free-kick, nothing

else. If it’s reckless, it’s a free-kick and a yellow card. If it’s a

reckless challenge that endangers the player’s safety with excessive

force, it’s a red card for serious foul play.

I know it was early in the game, a lot of experienced referees

would’ve red carded that, but for me, you could accept it if a yellow

card had come out. But he lost his chance to stamp his authority and the

players knew that– they knew what they could get away with. From that

moment he didn’t have the respect of the players.

The second big decision was the overhead kick from Cameron Jerome –

for me that was a fantastic goal, that’s what fans pay a lot of money to

see, it was similar to Graziano Pelle’s against QPR last season.

It should have been awarded, it wasn’t dangerous play, he was in

front of the defender, the defender’s gone to try and head the ball

away, the goal should have been given – that was the wrong decision. If

you go looking for trouble, trouble will find you. Simon Hooper went

looking for trouble when he should have just given the goal and got the

hell out of it.

And then the third major decision which he’s got wrong was a push by

Connor Wickham on Sebastien Bassong, it’s an absolutely blatant penalty.

He’s in a great position, he’s looking straight at it – how’s he not

seen that as a penalty?"

Reading that just makes us feel worse, doesn''t it.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Reading that just makes us feel worse, doesn''t it.[/quote]I didn''t think I could feel worse, but you''re right..................I do.

[quote user="lappinitup"]I have a lot of respect for Mark Halsey and he confirms what we all knew......Hooper is a clown.[/quote]And not a very good one Lapps ''cos he ain''t funny.[;)]

Found this on a Palace forum...

Thought that the ref was very poor overall and wasn''t surprised to learn that it was his first game at Premier League level - as AP has said, if that''s Bolasie who scores a goal & is ruled out like Jerome''s we would have felt hard done by. The game was closer than a 2 goal margin and that flattered us a bit in the end...

So, it was not only us who thought Hooper was pants.