Sign in to follow this  
firststeps

Benik Afobe

[quote user="wcorkcanary"]Good shout on Milik KIO, am very matey with an Ajax obsessive and he reckons Milik is the Dogs Doughnuts.

I would pay to see his face if we made Ajax an offer they couldnt refuse.[/quote]
I''m Polish, and we''ve been keeping an eye on him for about 5 or 6 years now as he has risen through the youth set up. He is going to be some player, that''s for sure.

Milik would undoubtedly be an excellent signing, but I can''t see Ajax wanting to sell, or him wanting to leave them at present either...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Milik would undoubtedly be an excellent signing, but I can''t see Ajax wanting to sell, or him wanting to leave them at present either...[/quote]
Maybe, but no more so than Wolves, and Ajax may feel 6 mill is good profit for doing nothing, don''t know anything about their financial situ. Milik could be convinced I''m sure. Prem footy, big wage rise, his national team mates dotted around the country (Boruc, Fabianski, Krychowiak likely to be in Arsenal next week) etc. Ajax would be the ones we''d need to convince, but got to be worth a punt if Afobe ain''t coming, nothing to lose by picking the phone up to them.

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="Indy_Bones"]Milik would undoubtedly be an excellent signing, but I can''t see Ajax wanting to sell, or him wanting to leave them at present either...[/quote]
Maybe, but no more so than Wolves, and Ajax may feel 6 mill is good profit for doing nothing, don''t know anything about their financial situ. Milik could be convinced I''m sure. Prem footy, big wage rise, his national team mates dotted around the country (Boruc, Fabianski, Krychowiak likely to be in Arsenal next week) etc. Ajax would be the ones we''d need to convince, but got to be worth a punt if Afobe ain''t coming, nothing to lose by picking the phone up to them.
[/quote]
I should add, they have signed Sanogo on loan from Arsenal, and he has scored quite a few already so it wouldn''t be out of the realms of possibility for them to consider cashing in on Milik so quickly.

We need a new centre forward and as others have stated the price of players has gone up and thats is probally due to the massive amount of money through the television deal, I always thought we needed a new centre forward and that was prior to Grabban''s antics if we dont value players like Afobe at the value that has been stated this will probally not change the fact that we will have to break our transfer record to bring in a player(s), as suggested we may have to look abroad but I hope that we would have been doing this before this situation as happened. I hope that we end up with a good player and not end up with players like Murray or Gale - I dont think Gale will want to move out of London having just brought a new house for 1.5 million- but you never know.  

If we were in Wolves position do you think our board would reject a £10M offer for a player who has played as many games as Afobe?

Football has gone bonkers this window.

It''s crazy isn''t it? We would have accepted the first offer if it meant making a tidy profit.

This has quite possibly been the craziest price fueled window ever. I think anymore for this player and we should seriously consider Austin?

I mean, potentially there is a 40 million bid for Stones!? How? It all went wrong when Ipsh** sold Mings for silly money.

We clearly really want this player though!

[quote user="firststeps"]This has quite possibly been the craziest price fueled window ever. I think anymore for this player and we should seriously consider Austin?[/quote]
If Austin''s knees are shot as rumoured then he wouldn''t pass the medical.
I wouldn''t mind spending this on Afobe, he''s a very decent young English striker, and we all know that comes with a premium, if he bangs 15 in we will double our money when Spurs/Liverpool etc come sniffing next summer.
I think we have to have a serious look abroad though if we''re going to spunk 10mill into this, there has to be better value than Afobe or Austin.

Hasn''t Austin come out and rubbished this? Surely a proven Premier League goal scorer would be a safer bet if he were to pass a medical?

I agree over the long term the wages for Afobe would be less than Austin.

Worth now offering Grabban as part of the deal with a sell on fee?

I agree that when it comes to this amount of money, we may as well have another go at Austin. If his leg really is useless then we''d find it out in the medical and cancel the move with no harm done (Except to the player himself).

I like the look of Afobe though, and hope we get him. I''m just worried about the amount we are going to have to spend on him.

Afobe £14 mil madness.

Yes we need a striker but that''s simply stupid money for unproven.

On the other hand if he scores the goals to keep us up its a bargain.

I would still like Austin for that money (if we could afford wages package)

TBH although he''s a very good player, he spends basically all the time playing in a striking pair at Wolves with Dicko. AN is known for playing his 4-1-4-1 formation here and at Accies and we''ve only seen a few games near the start of his reign where he played Grabban with Hooper and Grabban with Jerome.

If we do sign him, the most likely line up I can think of is this: (obviously other players to come in as well...I hope this transfer window)

----------------Ruddy--------------

Whitts---Martin--Bassong---Olsson

Redmond-Howson-Mulumbu-Brady

----------Jerome--Afobe

[quote user="nu_matik"]Did he say that?

I thought he said it was a flat no, and they weren''t selling any players this window.[/quote]

Wolves issued a strongly-worded statement before the game to reiterate the striker will be staying at Molineux and Jackett confirmed Norwich''s bid had been turned down.

He said: ''They have (made a bid) and it has been turned down and not encouraged whatsoever. We''re not looking to sell our best players and within two weeks of the window closing we''re looking to build.

''We don''t encourage future bids. We''re not looking to sell our best players.

''At the moment we''re not interested, we don''t want to negotiate, it was turned down flat.

RELATED ARTICLES

Previous

Next

Queens Park Rangers'' Matt Phillips celebrates scoring his side''s third goal of the game

Wolves 2-3 Queens Park Rangers: Matt Phillips scores brace...

Benik Afobe during the Sky Bet Championship match between Wolverhampton Wanderers and Hull City played at Molineux, Wolverhampton

Wolves warn star man Benik Afobe will not be sold following...

Wolverhampton Wanderers 1-1 Hull City: Nikica Jelavic''s...

ST ALBANS, ENGLAND - AUGUST 08: Emiliano Martinez of Arsenal during a training session at London Colney on August 8, 2015 in St Albans, England. (Photo by Stuart MacFarlane/Arsenal FC via Getty Images)

Wolves set to complete Emiliano Martinez signing from...

Share this article

''At the moment we''re not interested, we don''t want to negotiate, it was turned down flat.

''Benik has been very good and was a threat. Any conversation we had before the game was about the football.''

Kevin McDonald added to Afobe''s opener to put Wolves in control inside the first 25 minutes before they fell away after Charlie Austin started QPR''s fightback.

Jackett added: ''We had good control of the game and a 2-0 lead. QPR came back into it quickly and got the goal before half-time but the two goals in the second half were disappointing defensively.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3204105/Norwich-bid-Benik-Afobe-rejected-Wolves-Championship-not-want-negotiate-reveals-manager-Kenny-Jackett.html#ixzz3jvpJ8sg8

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Old Robert, I started this thread before the news broke, you''ll have to trust me on this one. Let''s just say it''s not my postsmans next door neighbours sister!

[quote user="firststeps"]Old Robert, I started this thread before the news broke, you''ll have to trust me on this one. Let''s just say it''s not my postsmans next door neighbours sister![/quote]
Not saying you''re lying mate, but in the original post you quoted an article from "Shoot" about Norwich being in Pole position so saying you started the thread before the news broke, when the original post directly quotes an article breaking the news is more than dubious.

noticed someone wrote this comment under an Afobe article:

"If Norwich offer around £14m I think Wolves will sell, I pray he is still a Wolves player come the end of the transfer window but being realistic he could be sold. What Wolves need to do if they sell is be smart, for me if we sell to Norwich we get Jerome as part of the deal because he is proven in the championship and would score on a regular basis. Secondly Wolves would have to invest in better quality players in this same transfer window to strengthen the squad."

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="firststeps"]Old Robert, I started this thread before the news broke, you''ll have to trust me on this one. Let''s just say it''s not my postsmans next door neighbours sister![/quote]
Not saying you''re lying mate, but in the original post you quoted an article from "Shoot" about Norwich being in Pole position so saying you started the thread before the news broke, when the original post directly quotes an article breaking the news is more than dubious.
[/quote]

Ha ha, Old Robert, that''s a very valid point. But all I can say is what I''ve been told, and it''s generally the truth. We''ll see, might be something or nothing.

Next bid will be a 12 million plus add ons, but can''t see this one playing out into deadline day... Wolves would have to have at least a couple of days to get in a replacement.

Perhaps this could be tied up by Saturday with maybe Loza going the other way on a season long loan...

As soon as the player puts his transfer request in the situation will change. The players agent must be rubbing his/her hands together.

Whatever happens it''s going to need a shedload of cash to get Afobe as it would Austin.Problem for us being if they''re around the same cost in transfer fees do we go for an untested Premier League player with reasonable wage demands or go for someone who''s done it in the top division but will want huge wages ?Tough one...

No chance will we be going 442.

Let''s face it, we sign a new striker, he competes with Jerome to be the starter.

I don''t think Wolves are going to sell whatever we bid , time is now running very short and our forward line needs some serious bolstering before the window slams shut if we have other targets its time to move onto them .