Sign in to follow this  
iron_stan

already settled for relegation

Haven''t read most of the thread but my opinion is that if we don''t see at least 3 key players in then Neil will be on a hiding to nothing. The defence was shakey at championship level and at PL level our current strike force will struggle. This squad will leak goals and struggle to hit the net and that is never a good combination!

Hell what will be will be, it''s football and we''re back in the top flight.

I intend to enjoy each game then come on here when I get home to moan and whine........at least it makes Canary call more entertaining.

It''s not down to me to buy the players or spend my money on over paid footballers, we go with what we have plus whatever other transfers that might happen. Just enjoy the season and enjoy the moaning on here should we fail.

As far as I can tell....

We were relegated because Houghton mismanaged the squad and set us up far too negatively. We underperformed with the squad we had.

We had the "best squad in the league" last season and promotion was expected, if not nailed-on.

Under Adams we tore into the league and went top.

Then teams figured out our one-dimensional approach (management failure) and we slipped to 7th.

We brought in Alex Neil, went on a championship winning run of form, and won the playoff final.

We have added Dorrans and Mulumbu already.

Redmond is a better player for his time in the Champs & under AN, so is Johnson, so is Jerome. Bassong has come back to something like his best.

So in terms of squad, we are essentially a reasonable lower-half PL side already and 14-16th place is within our reach with what we have.

Anything we add needs to improve us to the next level, and those players aren''t readily available or cheap.

I get it that, as a supporter, we want our Christmas presents early but big signings guarantee nothing as we learned with Fer and RvW.

Even if we don''t sign anyone else, I am confident we will still stay up. 16th place.

Sorry if this is, er, supportive of the club I support.

We are actually fortunate in that we only really need two, possibly three additions to the squad. The rest I feel is already there and in that sense the likes of Watford and Bournemouth need to sign more players than us this summer.

However what I really wanted to see, especially as the fixtures have given us a fairly reasonable opening few games, was these players in early and gelled into the team before the season starts. That is now looking less likely. That''s a bit of a worry as is the way our targets seem to be evolving over the weeks (Brady aside) which suggests we are struggling to attract some of our A list of targets. I am really only worried about the defence. If we have to go with a front 6 based on what we''ve got I feel that would be good enough but the defence really struggled against pace and movement even in the championship and that has not been addressed so far. Mulumbu playing next to Tettey may well make us more solid but we need at least one top quality defensive addition.

[quote user="Indy"]Hell what will be will be, it''s football and we''re back in the top flight.

I intend to enjoy each game then come on here when I get home to moan and whine........at least it makes Canary call more entertaining.

It''s not down to me to buy the players or spend my money on over paid footballers, we go with what we have plus whatever other transfers that might happen. Just enjoy the season and enjoy the moaning on here should we fail.[/quote]Spot on.We are NCFC and our position in the football hierarchy is mid Champs to mid Prem, it''s what we do. Expecting a permanent position in the top league is a triumph of hope over experience. I have no idea how long we will last this time but if we go down I am sure that it won''t be long before we go back up again.Enjoy the ups and downs, NCFC always give us an eventful ride. [Y]

Then no matter what hope we have your fantastic reports again this season Ricardo?

Have to say they are fantastic even if not all of us see the game from your view and open up a great thread to talk about each game.

Long may it continue.

[quote user="Indy"]Then no matter what hope we have your fantastic reports again this season Ricardo?

Have to say they are fantastic even if not all of us see the game from your view and open up a great thread to talk about each game.

Long may it continue.[/quote]

Yes we all see a different game and discussing other peoples opinions and insights is what makes it more interesting. Undoubtedly there will be new favourites and new scapegoats this season and as long as I am able I will continue to write a report for those many unfortunates who because of distance or finance are unable to attend.

Iron Stan has a legitimate concern. Critics dump on him as overly negative but in the VERY NEXT SENTENCE make comments similar to his about what we need to succeed.

How much can you hate a guy if you''re attacking him for bringing up something you essentially agree with?

[quote user="Vanwink"]Is a critical opinion disloyal to our club?[/quote]Reality can be difficult for some people.

If you analyse what Iron Stan is really saying it boils down to a very simplistic lets throw money at the problem, it makes the assumption that we have £25M to £30M to spend and that all of the players he lists actually want to come to Norwich.

There is also a veiled accusation that Norwich City do not really want to spend any money.

My feeling is that there are a number of negotiations that are going on as we speak and it would not surprise me if we announced 2/3 new signings at the same time.......

We were told earlier in this Window that we were looking to make 6 signings (including a keeper) - and I believe this is pretty-much consistent, give or take the odd one, to most close-seasons that I can remember. We''ve made two of those signings already, so probably 4 to go. Anyone who seriously thinks they aren''t trying for more is clearly wrong, we may just have to wait it out a little while.

It would be helpful to get the players signed sooner than later, especially with our opening 4 games. Let the opposition fans use "it''s early and the team hasn''t settled in" (or the hated "gelled") yet following disappointing performances in winnable matches as an excuse, not us.

What do you want us to do, just buy four players for the sake of it so they will gel? If it was that easy do you not think they''d already be here.

ricardo wrote the following post at 21/07/2015 10:37 PM:

Vanwink wrote:

Is a critical opinion disloyal to our club?

Reality can be difficult for some people.

Is that why you boo the team?

As I see it, our priority at this present time should be the immediate future which means throwing all possible into a survival bid next season.

The enormous financial rewards involved should put the Club on a sound footing for some time to come. They will be massive and will further widen the gap between the divisions. Primarily, we need to ensure that we are in on the act.

Additionally, Alex Neil will have hopefully found his feet at Premier League level, which would also auger well for the long term future.

t''s a fine balance but I now feel that we should be a bit more expansive with our spending than we have been to date. Perhaps we will in the next two or three weeks.

We know we have our limitations in the market, that good sense must prevail and that we are probably unable to compete with most in the League, for various reasons, but over much prudence could be costly at this particular moment in time.

I think that''s the thrust of this thread BroadstairsR and you are right.

There are those who look upwards and want to achieve and there are those who accept mediocrity with a predictable knowing nod.

In any business there is a time to invest and take a calculated risk, now is the time for us.

Calculated risk is one thing but if the players don''t want to come what chance does the club have? To negate our image of a small club a cast amount of cash will be required to attract top class players to come here. The simple fact is we don''t have the cash or the big club draw, so the player pool to chiose from is limited.

Our wage bill will no doubt be pushing 50 million this season already, to sign any half decent player you need to look at paying a starting point is 20k a week + so that''s another 1 million for each player in on wages alone!

I''m pretty sure the club have required about all of option A and probably been knocked back on first choice players.

We gave to accept what we have, who we are and what is success for our club.

Pie in the sky dreams of signing 5 players for 30 million are a long way off for our club for the time being.

We have a defence which will struggle in the PL, we have no cover if Martin Olsson is injured for example, there are some key positions where we need to bring players in and if, and I say if, we fail to do this we will go down IMO.

It''s not pie in the sky at all Indy, it''s just common sence.

I''d like to know why we are having such difficulty in signing players when clubs like Watford seem to have no difficulties at all. It doesn''t mean that all their signings are good ones or will prove effective however why are they so much more attractive to players than us?

If Gestede now moves to Vicarage Road then I really do wonder if we will make any further signings this close season as we seem unable to compete. Does being debt free induce a desire not to spend?

Watford are basically a London club, so that may help a little to attract the players but I would bet their spending power will be the biggest difference, I betwatfords wage bill and spending will leave us far behind. They can afford that with their backing.

This guy owns three clubs I believe.

Pie in the sky is thinking we will spend millions on 5 players without shipping some out! There will be a cap on wages as there will be on finances, so AN will be working with DM for the best fit within our budgets and squad.

Not concerned at all, we still have the best squad in my opinion and am confident that moves will happen. Mings and Capoue are decent signings but are both expensive gambles. Its going to take time to incorporate these players into the team and the clubs ethos. And what does this say about the clubs loyalty to the players, your reward for promotion is a place on the bench!

Our squad has loads of premier league experience now and I think we still have the better squad but need to strengthen in key areas. I still think that RVW will come good, just needs a manager to believe in him and to be played in the right position.

QPR have proven time and again that you cant buy yourself to safety.

What do you want us to do, just buy four players for the sake of it so they will gel? If it was that easy do you not think they''d already be here.- Herman

No. What a stupid question. I would try to get the desired targets in camp so the team can fly, not stumble, out of the gate. I would have 2 or more acceptable targets for each position to increase my bargaining power. And, I would sell the hell out of living in and around Norwich to players and their wives. What better place to raise kids? It''s clean, it''s safe, it''s got bucolic charm and beauty in and around town, and Pinkun forum aside, it''s friendly. Have former players who live in the area help promote it.

Herm, "can''t do" attitudes like yours is what got us relegated 2 years ago.

What do you think they''re trying to do? Ask a stupid question and get an even more ridiculous answer.

[quote user="Gainer the Gopher"]What do you want us to do, just buy four players for the sake of it so they will gel? If it was that easy do you not think they''d already be here.- Herman

No. What a stupid question. I would try to get the desired targets in camp so the team can fly, not stumble, out of the gate. I would have 2 or more acceptable targets for each position to increase my bargaining power. And, I would sell the hell out of living in and around Norwich to players and their wives. What better place to raise kids? It''s clean, it''s safe, it''s got bucolic charm and beauty in and around town, and Pinkun forum aside, it''s friendly. Have former players who live in the area help promote it.

Herm, "can''t do" attitudes like yours is what got us relegated 2 years ago.[/quote]

No-one who lives or has lived locally ever says "around town" to do with Norwich.   I thought you lived in or near Norwich at some point?  

Alex Neil has never had any money to buy players before .I''m sure he will find a few bargains to boost the numbers ..I don''t think he will change the team much ..its injuries you have to worry about.

It''s a real shame Gainer''s not more local. I think he could really take this club forward.