Sign in to follow this  
Newton

Yes 5 - 0 But are you convinced Adams knows what he is doing ?

With a very defensive formation, yes we scrambled past a very poor Wigan - in the end it could have easily been a draw (we lost at Forrest playing exactly the same way)

Same negative set up yesterday (why did we need to play like that at home ?) and for the first 17 mins Huddersfield looked the most likely to score. After the sending off, we created very little and ended the half to boos form the crowd

Redmond, is brought on at half time and within 10 mins rips them to shreds and we score 3 goals - game over, Adams is a hero again

Please consider these scenarios :-

Would Redmond have been brought on at half time if Huddersfield still had 11 men on the pitch - I doubt it and the game would have headed for a draw ?

Why do we have to play in such a cautious manner at home for goodness sake - Redmond is our prize asset and any manager worth his salt should be able to devise a formation that allows him to play and stops us leaking goals ?

One positive note from the later substitutions, it would appear that Adams has at last learned that you cannot play 2 x forwards, Hooly & Redmond at the same time as we are too open

Plus it is clear that Hooper is a far better link up player than Grabam, he needs to start every week if we are playing 2 up top

Finally, nice to see Grant Holt again and say thank you for the memories, but the ghost has now been laid to rest - there is no way we would want him back, what little pace he had has gone - we have both moved on. When he had the ball the game slowed to walking pace

Whether Adams truly knows what he is doing and what difference Pheelan is actually having will become apparent next Saturday when we take on a Derby team that got found out yesterday and may well be on a downer after a mauling by Chelsea in the Capital Cup on Tuesday

We need at least a draw Saturday and I would hope for a win , negative performance and a defeat we are back to square one

Newton, one thing I am convinced of is that he is learning and learning with the help of a more experienced coach, something he was given at the start of the season which then disappeared (Royle).

Perhaps we should remind ourselves that he has only had 20 odd games in charge of a senior team, essentially he is an apprentice, now whether we should have appointed an apprentice is another thing, but we did, and as apprentices go I think he is coming along nicely, he certainly looked more relaxed in his interview yesterday.

With the experienced guidance he now has he has overseen two wins and conceded zero goals, so he is due the plaudits, however I find it strange that when things go wrong it is all his fault yet when they go well many posters find a way to suggest he has been lucky, well he may have been but there have also been times when he has been unlucky.

Overall, still has plenty to prove but is on the way to doing just that (I hope!)

It was a solid if somewhat unattractive starting formation,which worked very well at Wigan to the surprise of me and many others. He is learning a pragmatic approach to the team rather than the early, gung-ho ''Norwich way'',and it is working. It isn''t good looking, but i for one prefer the three points at this moment in time.Adams seems willing to learn and do what''s best for City and it''s obvious Phelan is having a good and positive effect on him and the team. It''s still early on in the revival but he is heading in the right direction.

A lot of "what if''s" in the original post.

The game was yesterday,we won 5-0 end of.

Does it make any difference to yesterdays result speculating whether or not Redmond would have come on at half time against 11 men, NO!!! etc,etc,etc.

Time to move on to the next game and enjoy the fact that no matter how we beat both Wigan and Hudderfield.

You''e never going to win everyone back with 1 result. But it''s definitely a very good step in the right direction and will get Neil a lot more time.

It''ll certainly soften the blow if we lose at Derby

Are here we are again. Back at the "it was luck" argument.". . . . . it could have been a draw . . . . . . " - It won''t be very often that a team will have NO chances what-so-ever in a game. The team that wins is the one that converts those chances into goals.We are a better team than Wigan - no question about that. But last week we were very short on form. We had to win at any cost, and it was important not to lose. If you bring Phelan into this then you could argue that last week and this week, perhaps you saw a bit of the Man Utd influence. They have played formations like to get wins when form/injuries force it. It''s called "winning ugly" - and every team needs to be able to do it."Same negative set up yesterday (why did we need to play like that at

home ?) and for the first 17 mins Huddersfield looked the most likely to

score. After the sending off, we created very little and ended the half

to boos form the crowd"

Hahaha - I''d tell you why. Because if we had switch to the formation we deployed before, with Redmond and struggled then people like you would have asked why he didn''t stick with the same formation and personnel as against Wigan. Hiding to nothing. As for boos, you were there right?As for they looked more likely to score - bar Well''s double effort which was followed shortly after by the sending off, they didn''t have a great many chances to have been deemed more likely to score."Please consider these scenarios :-

Would Redmond have been brought on at half time if Huddersfield

still had 11 men on the pitch - I doubt it and the game would have

headed for a draw ?"Please consider these scenarios:- Huddersfield remain with 11 men on the pitch, as a result they don''t defend so deep and in numbers, chances are easier to fashion before half time and Norwich score as a result.- A strong gust of wind whips the red card out of the refs hands and blows it clean out of the stadium preventing him from sending anyone off.- four of our players picked up spectacular injuries leaving us a man short.- Holt, fresh from his pre-match stare out match with McNally scores four goals in the first ten minutes.You know what they all have in common? NO ONE CARES. A player got sent off, in those situations every manager has a choice. Whatever the formation. Go with what we have out there, or bring on players that you know will stretch the play more and expose that extra space. Adams made that change at half time, possibly when Huddersfield were just thinking "we can handle this"."One positive note from the later substitutions, it would appear that

Adams has at last learned that you cannot play 2 x forwards, Hooly &

Redmond at the same time as we are too open"But he brought both of them on . . . . . . and they are not "forwards". Forwards are strikers. Redmond is a winger and Hoolahan is an attacking midfielder. If you are talking about "forwards" we started the game with Hooper and Jerome, two strikers."Whether Adams truly knows what he is doing and what difference Pheelan

is actually having will become apparent next Saturday when we take on a

Derby team that got found out yesterday and may well be on a downer

after a mauling by Chelsea in the Capital Cup on Tuesday"Adams is the one that makes the decisions. He could choose to ignore Phelan''s advice, he could choose to take it. Adams has to be given credit as if it is Phelan''s influence, he is man enough to accept that something needed to change and to look to his coaches for help and support - that is, after all, what they are there for.In my books, Phelan perhaps completes just what we needed for an all round management team. A bit of experience to go alongside two City stalwarts with the desire and passion and energy. That''s not to say Phelan doesn''t have those but he brings experience of the very top level to the others. Invaluable just as Gary Holt''s never say die attitude and top level professionalism. Just as you can see exactly the impact that Adams has had on the way Redmond plays - he is looking far more deadly this season, his crossing and his shooting has improved, his general wide play has improved.And by the way it''s GRABBAN, not GRABAM."We need at least a draw Saturday and I would hope for a win , negative performance and a defeat we are back to square one"Not at all. Had we have lost yesterday, or against Wigan, I think people could have been forgiven to ruling out our chances of automatic promotion. Two wins on the trot and we are now 6 points of an auto spot and our next game gives us the opportunity to cut that further.I also don''t think that Derby were "found out" yesterday. They were playing away from home against a very good Middlesborough side. We will be away from home against a very decent Derby side. I would take a draw now - because I know how tough it will be. I had Derby down as one of the sides to watch out for before the start of the season. After defeat in the play-off finals last season you just know they are not going to be found wanting for desire to win.

There are many posts on here from armchair fans who never watch Norwich play unless it is on line, they just look at the final score and pass, what they consider to be a constructive comment on the performance based purely only on the result

Can someone please explain why we would start home games with 4 central midfield players (3 defensive midfield players) strung across the park with 2 in wide positions when we have an array of attacking options at our disposal sitting on the bench.

In the 1st half yesterday there as no pace what so ever anywhere - Huddersfield could have happily defended all day even with 10 players

Credit to Adams - yes he brought Redmond on at half time & won the game - but, every week we will not be faced with 10 men

We should be comfortably beating these lower placed teams at home but because of Adams poor tactical nonce & substitutions we have dropped too many points

He as now gone from ultra all out attack to ultra cautious defensive.

Of course we will pick up points no matter what formation & who plays - we have one of the best squads in the league. For example, the opposition had Holt yesterday playing up front for them we had a squad of 4 front men who are all substantially better than Grant

Adams has a quality squad at his disposal but It is clear to many who attend live games he does not have a Scooby Doo as to what he is doing

I hope I am proved wrong at Derby

I dont think Adams has a clue , 11 v 11 and Huddersfield win that game yesterday , Adams will stop us gaining promotion this season of that i have not the faintest doubt . Expect us to be on the wrong end of a 5-0 next week with far better opposition and 11 of them .

Chicken nice negative response very lengthy adding no constructive view - exactly what you would expect from armchair supporters

I go to every home game and have had to endure Adams pathetic attempts at organising the team this season - but then you save money by staying at home

And yes Redmond & Hooly are attacking players - if u have too many in the same team you concede goals as they don''t track back. This is what happened in September & October - but then you don''t watch the games do you - so how would you know, silly me ?

Booing at half time - I did not as I am just waiting for him to do the honourable thing & fall on his sword - but yes it did ring round the ground, probably cut out on radio Norfolk so you did not hear it

Finally, no matter how you spell Grabhams name, no I have not booed him as many others have & was pleased to see him score yesterday but he is not a patch on Hooper

If you didn''t want any armchair fans to answer your question then you should have said so, the post title should be

Yes 5 - 0 But are you as a non armchair fan convinced Adams knows what he is doing ?As you made this schoolboy error I''m not convinced that you know what you''re doing.

Well since Phelan came in, the silly errors have stopped. Perhaps that''s a coincidence perhaps not? Even Whittaker has looked better in the last week.

I still need to see it consistently enough from us to have full faith in Adams but the last week has been very good. Now we need to get back above Ipswich and back in that top two.

The 5 nil was down to the players and Phelan. There is no way that Adams should take any credit from that, he is only to be judged when we lose, that''s when the fun really starts.

[quote user="Jenkins"]The 5 nil was down to the players and Phelan. There is no way that Adams should take any credit from that, he is only to be judged when we lose, that''s when the fun really starts.[/quote]I''m amazed that Gary Holt gets away with it week after week.

Im happy that with Phelan''s experience beside him that Adams will do ok

A Load of Squit wrote the following post at 14/12/2014 1:45 PM:

Jenkins wrote:

The 5 nil was down to the players and Phelan. There is no way that Adams should take any credit from that, he is only to be judged when we lose, that''s when the fun really starts.

I''m amazed that Gary Holt gets away with it week after week.

The sooner he''s exposed for his role in our downfall the better IMO !

Just cos we won a game 5-0, it shouldn''t paper over the cracks. The first 10 games should have taught us the lesson of not taking heed of the early warning signs. The best teams constantly improve and work on weaknesses. We have struggled to break down teams at home and there''s was little sign of that changing yesterday (even after the sending off). There''s no doubt we need to improve considerably if we''re to break into the top 2...that''s the aim surely!

Well Adams recognised something was wrong in the set up, sacked the coach, and appointed a replacement. If there isn''t a positive change then his decisions would surely be questioned.

But the real change was at halftime once again Bowkett & McNally took the reins from the cook and her cohorts...

By my count we missed two or three really good chances in the first half- Hooper had two (a header and the pull back that got caught under his feet) and Jerome''s header at the far post that should have been a goal. So it is not like we didn''t create in the first half, just we didn''t take them.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Well Adams recognised something was wrong in the set up, sacked the coach, and appointed a replacement. If there isn''t a positive change then his decisions would surely be questioned.

But the real change was at halftime once again Bowkett & McNally took the reins from the cook and her cohorts...[/quote]If you believe it was Adams idea to bring Phelan in then you probably believe in Father Christmas as well .

I believe that it was Adams decision to sack the previous coach because he stood up to be counted at the time and said so. I believe that the decision to appoint Phelan came from a determination by the football club to appoint the best person available. Any resultant improvement is because of those things and down to the whole management team in place and not in spite of any of them.

Newton said;

"We should be comfortably beating these lower placed teams at home but because of Adams poor tactical nonce & substitutions we have dropped too many points."

So does 5 - 0 count as a comfortable win then Newton?

Also, Phelan was Neil''s choice, I belive he was presented 4 possibilities and went for Phelan.

Thanks Nutty.

There are some things we know and some things we don''t know, etc. etc.

[quote user="Ray"]Newton said; "We should be comfortably beating these lower placed teams at home but because of Adams poor tactical nonce & substitutions we have dropped too many points." So does 5 - 0 count as a comfortable win then Newton? Also, Phelan was Neil''s choice, I belive he was presented 4 possibilities and went for Phelan.[/quote]

That would depend on who the other three were.

Here''s 4 Neil:-

Old mother Riley

Lapp

Smudger

or Phelan

Now take your pick.

Leaving that to one side I think the combination could work and it matters not a jot who decides what as long as the right decision is made.