Sign in to follow this  
norfolkbroadslim

Phelan claims he was manager at Man U, not Fergie!

He''s obviously trying to get a job so I''d take what he says with a pinch of salt, however a couple of seasons back I can clearly remember watching the highlights of the Man Utd bench when they scored.  Everyone jumped up, including Sir Alex, but he was clearly asking Phelan "Who''d scored", just like my grandad use to do at Norwich!

When I start to look around at who maybe could be a good choice instead of CH, Phelan is one of very few on my list.

And I know that you cant read to much into odds, but they are closing very quickly at the moment.

Would create a good buzz around the club, attract good players. Give a big lift to the players here. The attention he would bring would be incredible, much the same as if he went to say Newcastle I PERSONALLY would want to how he''d got on. He could easily become Linaker and co''s new love child, it''s a win win get him in McNally!!!!

Phelan is of course his own man but one does have to consider that Fergusons deputies have generally made poor managers. Surprisingly so but Peter Grant is not the only No2 to have failed to make it as a manager.

That''s my major worry Cambridge. People see that he has worked with Fergie so he must have the capability to move into management. It doesn''t tend to work that well.

But whoever is/maybe our manager I will back.

[quote user="Herman "]That''s my major worry Cambridge. People see that he has worked with Fergie so he must have the capability to move into management. It doesn''t tend to work that well.

But whoever is/maybe our manager I will back.[/quote]

It is very easy to back who ever our manager is when you

Don''t go to the games. Life in Plastic it''s fantastic

It''s great. And I bet I have a fatter wallet than you.

(Unless mum and dad still pay for you?)

It is very easy to back whoever is our manager when you are a fan of the Club through thick and thin and you believe that people come and go but the Club is always there for us and our children.

"Surprisingly so but Peter Grant is not the only No2 to have failed to make it as a manager."

True but we all prefer to list those that have crashed and burned rather than look for examples of success.

He might be the next Steve Clarke.

appointing him is an absolute no brainer having someone come in who knows the club, and has had years under sir alex studying his methods, tactics, and most importantly man management skills, along with all the knowledge picked up from utds scouting network, and the contacts he would have made at (arguably) the biggest club on the planet would be absolutely priceless

people like that dont become available very often, generally people that work under greats of the game often go on to do pretty well themselveslook at all mourinhos coaches and assistants who are doing well

iron sharpens iron and all that

Really not so sure he actually knows our club that well these days to be honest as he left in 1989 and so much has changed since then, I would doubt if there are any members of staff still at the club other than then odd tea lady and he would certainly have trouble finding Colney. Anyway, he would certainly, if still available by the time we need a new Manager, be one of the favourites, a relatively high risk candidate, but with the right management team around him (which is crucial for a first time Manager) a choice I would certainly be happy with.

I''m still not a full on Hughton outer,but.......Mike Phelan would make me think twice, would have preferred if he left utd 2 years ago and had just a year or so as a no1 somewhere, the pressure of the job must be immense if its all on your shoulders, can he take it?

Apparently he was here as late as 1995, as assistant manager to Megson, but point is taken...