Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report The AGM 2013

Paul Lambert didn''t press top teams for 90 minutes any more than Chris Hughton does.I respect the fact you''ve been in the know at Carrow Road for a number of years CUSDP, but that is extremely naive to think you can play a team with the quality of the top teams in this league and press them the whole game. Pressing leaves the midfield empty because it forces the central midfielders up onto and over the halfway line while the wingers are already committed to chasing the ball down. You want to give Mesut Ozil, Eden Hazard, Wayne Rooney, Sergio Aguero et al that kind of space be my guest.....I''ll see you in the Championship mate

[quote user="ricardo"]No sign of the Angry Brigade last night but there seem to be plenty on here.

A big chance to have a say but nobody took it so either the shareholders or this forum is unrepresentative[/quote]

Not all supporters are shareholders. Not all shareholders can attend the AGM.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]The subs response is laughable as is the one about pressing, (my bug bear) Let''s just sit off the top teams and let them play then.[/quote]

That worked against Man U and Arsenal last year - both times Norwich only applied a press when they crossed the half way line.

Not applying a high press is a valid tactic, especially against teams who pass the ball well. Hughton gets it right by saying they will just pass through the press and have a lot of space just in front of the Norwich box. Southampton, maybe the best pressers of the ball so far this season, tried the high press against Arsenal and the Gunners consistently played through them.

Both tactics have their advantages, both have their weaknesses, saying one is more valid than the other in every situation is just wrong.

Giving Hughton abuse is one thing and I think a lot that do think it''s very clever. Lots of very sh@t puns spouted by old boys all other the place. I find it pretty hilarious that people are now turning there attentions towards McNally. The guy is a stone cold legend and probably saved our club from disaster and what''s more he is a ruthless b@stard.

I think a lot of the people that REALLY abuse Hughton (get personal) like to imagine he reads it and cries himself to sleep. It''s because they are genuinely not nice people, it''s a shame but some people are like that. Nasty people by nature.

Don''t have any illusions though. McNally reads this and laughs he couldn''t care less. He would rip out your still beating heart and feed it to you.

If you want an easy target to go after, stick to hughton, you look like bullies in a Disney TV movie, the ones that wear black t shirts with a skull on it and say the word "butthead"

A few supporter reactions to the AGM this morning on [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01l1rm9]Radio Norfolk[/url]. The piece starts at 21:50 (I''m guessing Ricardo is the fellow at 23:49?) and there''s a further item featuring the EDP''s Michael Bailey at 1:51:00.

I appreciate that we beat arsenal and. Man utd last year. But teams have evolved and we have gone backwards.

If Hughton is naive enough to think that not pressing teams this year is working then he needs to be reminded of Spurs, where we made them look like Barca. Arsenal, Man City and Man United Reserves in the cup.

I understand the pros and cons of pressing. But if you give world class players time on the ball, they will destroy you. Like we have seen.

By not pressing players, you are allowing them to get their head up, pick a pass and make something happen. If someone is in your face you can''t do that.

But maybe our fitness levels won''t allow us to do that.

Most teams play a high pressing game nowadays but we seem to have been left behind.

This is part of the reason we haven''t scored many. We are winning the ball, more often than not in our own half. There is far too much to do to score a goal still.

If we won the ball in the final 3rd, a couple of passes (seems simple) and you''re in a threatening position.

His comment about pressing against the "lesser" teams makes me laugh. We''ve only done it against Stoke.

I didn''t see any against Villa, Cardiff, Hull, WHU, Everton (I posted after that game http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun/cs/forums/2968388/ShowPost.aspx) so that''s baffled me.

Like I said, most teams press nowadays. We just seem to sit so far off, teams love playing against us.

If we keep playing as we are, you will be watching us in the championship.

Also completely agree with you Bethnal that each game requires tactics to counter the opp.

Unfortunately CH doesn''t. He used the same tactics and team against Stoke, arsenal, Cardiff, Chelsea......

For example, why didn''t he play Redmond against arsenal as his pace would''ve been perfect for a counter attack and would''ve troubled Gibbs.

I think the pressing has been more mixed than you say, and it has changed within games also. To start with Norwich didn''t press high against Arsenal, but after going behind Norwich started to press higher to force the game.

Norwich applied a high press agaisnt Southampton but it wasn''t working well so sat off and squeezed the space within their own half, this meant Southampton couldn''t get through Norwich''s midfield and starting hitting aimless long balls over the top. West Ham was the reverse, sat off to try and block the midfield, but Norwich couldn''t shut off effectively enough against the 6 man midfield so second half Howson was told to press higher and Norwich got the result.

One argument is if you give players time on the ball they will punish you, but the counter to that is no matter how good the player, if you only give them time in their own half there isn''t much they can do. The problem for Norwich has been sitting off teams, but also not effectively closing out the spaces in the their own half - something which they were so good at last season agaisnt Man U and Arsenal. If you play either system poorly you will be punished.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]No sign of the Angry Brigade last night but there seem to be plenty on here.

A big chance to have a say but nobody took it so either the shareholders or this forum is unrepresentative[/quote]

Not all supporters are shareholders. Not all shareholders can attend the AGM.[/quote]

Yet none of the several hundred who did attend took the opportunity call for Hughton''s head. I''ve been to some over the years that were more like the Christians V the Lions. Last night was mild in the extreme.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]No sign of the Angry Brigade last night but there seem to be plenty on here. A big chance to have a say but nobody took it so either the shareholders or this forum is unrepresentative[/quote] Not all supporters are shareholders. Not all shareholders can attend the AGM.[/quote] Yet none of the several hundred who did attend took the opportunity call for Hughton''s head. I''ve been to some over the years that were more like the Christians V the Lions. Last night was mild in the extreme.[/quote]

Not exactly what Archant said today.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The problem for Norwich has been sitting off teams, but also not effectively closing out the spaces in the their own half - something which they were so good at last season agaisnt Man U and Arsenal. If you play either system poorly you will be punished.[/quote]Spot on BYG, it''s even more frustrating when you consider that CH was supposed to make us a much better unit defensively, yet we STILL struggle to handle this side of the game effectively...

[quote user="Wiz"]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]No sign of the Angry Brigade last night but there seem to be plenty on here. A big chance to have a say but nobody took it so either the shareholders or this forum is unrepresentative[/quote] Not all supporters are shareholders. Not all shareholders can attend the AGM.[/quote] Yet none of the several hundred who did attend took the opportunity call for Hughton''s head. I''ve been to some over the years that were more like the Christians V the Lions. Last night was mild in the extreme.[/quote]

[/quote]

I was there and in comparison with many other meetings I''ve been to it was as I stated. Would other attendees agree or not?

Well everyone knows that Archant are in the pocket of the club, they didn''t even send their proper reporter, unless Mr Pickover goes and tell us if he likes what he saw and is able gives us in sight into the latest key fob technology then its probably not worth reporting.

Thanks Ricky for another excellent report, always enjoy reading them. Doesn''t look like Chris Hughton''s going anywhere soon. He kind of confirmed what I thought about the subs at SJP on the day though - if that 11 were in the ascendancy then why would you make any subs and possibly upset the rhythm? Was clearly just a last throw of the dice decision. The benefit of hindsight I guess...

The article by Michael Bailey on the main website is pretty similar to Ricardo''s report.  Sounds like his replies on Becchio, substitutions etc didn''t get applause but it''s a far cry from the vitriol of some posters on here, who were clearly absent or more timid in real life.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Wiz"]

[/quote] I was there and in comparison with many other meetings I''ve been to it was as I stated. Would other attendees agree or not?[/quote]

It was a walk in the park for the board. A bit more difficult for Hughton but the questioners who tried to put him on the spot didn''t help their cause with their questions. Especially the guy with his "wah wah wah we''re not Bayern Munich" "wah wah wah we''re not Man City" He did eventually have a point but made it so easy for the manager to answer. I did think about putting up my hand and asking about Hull. Hull is the single result that has really cost us this season. I went and for me it was by far our worst performance. But the moment passed me by...

I had a quick look at the board members on the official site and was amazed to see that there were no football people on it, eg former players or managers. I know that on the continent in places like Germany and Holland you often find ex-players sitting on their boards or even on separate comittees. Has anyone ever asked about this at these events?

[quote user="JonnyH"]A few supporter reactions to the AGM this morning on [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01l1rm9]Radio Norfolk[/url]. The piece starts at 21:50 (I''m guessing Ricardo is the fellow at 23:49?) and there''s a further item featuring the EDP''s Michael Bailey at 1:51:00.[/quote]Thanks to JonnyH for putting this up.Hope you find it on there Ricardo and thanks for your good report on proceedings last night.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="JonnyH"]A few supporter reactions to the AGM this morning on [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01l1rm9]Radio Norfolk[/url]. The piece starts at 21:50 (I''m guessing Ricardo is the fellow at 23:49?) and there''s a further item featuring the EDP''s Michael Bailey at 1:51:00.[/quote]Thanks to JonnyH for putting this up.Hope you find it on there Ricardo and thanks for your good report on proceedings last night.[/quote]No mate, doesn''t look as if I got on because they were all talking after the event. When I spoke to Butler it was before the event and was asked what I expected to hear.

I don''t believe for one minute his job is safe, they are not going to sit in front of hundreds of people and hang him out to dry, they are going to publicly give him their full backing but behind closed doors he will know their expectations and what he needs to do. Lose to Palace on saturday and he will be gone.

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Nice to meet vos, mind you Kathy was not pleased with what he had to say. [;)][/quote]

I think I know a bit about football - but have never understood women!!!

[quote user="TIL 1010"]Nice to meet vos, mind you Kathy was not pleased with what he had to say. [;)][/quote]

I think I know a bit about football - but have never understood women!!!