Sign in to follow this  
yoda

Fox

What I am saying is that his passing is the only Premiership quality he has.

The only area you can afford to carry such a one dimensional player is as a goalscorer - if he''s in the Thierry Henri class perhaps.

I suspect Redmond does the things you mention better than Fox.

And I don''t remember him putting his foot in very often. I also remember him being brushed off the ball fairly easily.

Since we haven''t really seen him at this level it''s always going to be subjective, but because of serious weaknesses in the areas I have mentioned, I don''t believe he could cut it in the Premiership.

Perhaps another club would be prepared to risk it??

[quote user="ron obvious"]Fox can pass the ball.

However, he cannot tackle, head, shoot, intercept or dribble. And he has no pace.

How many Premiership players are that limited?[/quote]
A deep lying playmaker does not need to head, shoot, or dribble.
And a team that plays passing football with the ball on the floor seldom need to play head tennis or chase possession either.
You are being conditioned to think like Hughton. There was always a place for one of either Fox or Hoolahan in a Lambert team. 
Did you ever watch Ian Crook? He grabbed the odd goal, but other than that was really not the slightest bit different to Fox. Did you ever see Paul Scholes tackle without giving away a foul? How many goals did Scholes score when he converted into a deep lying midfielder? How many times did you see Paul Scholes dribble? 
The best form of defence is attack/possession. You don''t need to defensive hard tackling centre midfielders if you can keep the ball and I don''t understand why people don''t understand that.

[quote user="ron obvious"]  I suspect Redmond does the things you mention better than Fox.[/quote]
How can you even attempt to compare Fox and Redmond, that''s like comparing John Ruddy with Grant Holt. 
[quote] Since we haven''t really seen him at this level it''s always going to be subjective, but because of serious weaknesses in the areas I have mentioned, I don''t believe he could cut it in the Premiership. [/quote]
Do you know anything about this football club and it''s players? David Fox was 3rd in our player of the season awards at ''this level'' in 2011/12, Lamberts Premier League season. 
Did you miss his 28 Premier League games or do you have senile dementia? 

No, but he MUST NOT lose the ball, because he is in such a deep position. I have no confidence in Fox retaining the ball against Premiership players.

I really cannot believe you are comparing Paul Scholes to David Fox.

[quote user="ron obvious"]No, but he MUST NOT lose the ball, because he is in such a deep position. I have no confidence in Fox retaining the ball against Premiership players.

I really cannot believe you are comparing Paul Scholes to David Fox.[/quote]
Comparing Scholes to Fox is the most logical comparison that anybody could make, it doesn''t mean that I think they are on the same level.
You are talking complete crud.
The best passer at this club would not lose the ball as much as any of our other centre midfielders (apart from perhaps Fer), your argument is non-existent.
You honestly have no idea what you are talking about, and after revealing that you didn''t know Fox had even played at this level you are clearly one of those people who listens to Radio Norfolk and never goes to Carrow Road.
This argument is void and pointless and shall not be continued. 

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]That strength in front of the back four is working brilliantly again tonight. Easy to see why there''s no room for a footballer.[/quote]
I''m not even pretending that Fox is any more than average. If Lambert was here he''d have replaced Fox by now (with Westwood probably). 
But I do know that Lambert would be giving Fox and Hoolahan minutes if he was managing this exact squad of players. 
Even other so called "industrial" teams have ''something'' in midfield, West Ham may not have somebody spraying passes around but they compensate for that with Kevin Nolan who is a prolific goalscorer who is long proven as a great foil for Carroll (proven in their Newcastle days).
Hughton just doesn''t seem capable of assembling a squad effectively past the defence. He can build a great back five, I will give him that.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]Leon Britton does ok[/quote]
Exactly, and most teams have a Fox or a Britton. 
Liverpool have Joe Allen. 
Even Stoke have Charlie Adam. Stoke for goodness sake. Had a poor season last year but getting back to his best this year. 
Fox was always an important cog in the machine and Johnson was brought in as a ball winning brute to compensate for the lack of physicality.
Neither of those players are fantastic, but the Fox-Johnson pairing worked relatively well, and it is because it adhered to some pretty basic football principles where one centre midfielder can win the ball and the other can play football.

I would have agreed with you after our first season back in the top flight however johnnos passing has since got better. Plus power is slightly more important that flair in the middle. We survived with johnno and tetty there last season.

However, he cannot tackle, head, shoot, intercept or dribble. And he has no pace.

Apart from Tom Huddlestone you mean?

Well done listing a number of traits David Fox doesn''t actually need to play centre midfield.

Whatever the opinions of posters on here Fox will end up playing at a level his standard of play justifies. At present that seems to be Barnsley.

If he does well there a Premiership club will come in for him. You never know but somehow I doubt it.

I haven''t read earlier posts on this thread so my points have probably already been discussed, but I think Fox must be a little mystified as to why he was given a new 2 year deal.

Clearly Hughton doesn''t rate him. He never plays. Yet I think he was a wonderful player and always enjoyed his game. I think it''s a shame that Hughton doesn''t want to at least try and make him a part of our squad as he has something to offer IMO.

Under Lambert, if players weren''t playing in the 1st team they were still made to feel like an important part of things. From what I hear about Hughton from people I''ve spoken to, the opposite applies. If you''re not in or around the 1st team regularly, you''re almost not part of the club.

You may be right but that doesn''t chime with what players said about Lambert eg the Doc recently. Also, given that Hughton is focused far more on the club than Lambert ever was such as Colney and the Academy, it would be surprising.

Fox is a good player and did well for us but can get rid of t his myth that his fall from the first team is down to Hughton.

Once Howson was fit, he came into the team and Lambert was playing him ahead of Fox for the last half dozen plus games of 2011-12. Lambert realised that we needed more than Fox offered and tried different formations.

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]You may be right but that doesn''t chime with what players said about Lambert eg the Doc recently. Also, given that Hughton is focused far more on the club than Lambert ever was such as Colney and the Academy, it would be surprising.[/quote]
What did Gary Doherty say about Lambert? Sour grapes no doubt because he played every week and just wasn''t given a new deal?
Michael Nelson turned up to Drury''s testimonial unemployed and left Carrow Road having had Lambert phone up and convince the Kilmarnock manager to give him a contract.

He said that when Lambert arrived he was told to find another club and shunted to the sidelines. Of course he was recalled and the rest is history. Not sour grapes at all. Nor am I saying that Lambert is a villain. His players speak highly of him.

He was notorious for focussing only on the first team squad and being uninterested in anything or anyone else. Rightly so because that is what we needed at the time. But, it is apparently how he was and not as Row D sugested

[quote user="Hairy Canary"]Whatever the opinions of posters on here Fox will end up playing at a level his standard of play justifies. At present that seems to be Barnsley. [/quote]
Oh come on, players always drop levels to get game time or put themselves in the shop window.
How do you think we got Huckerby and Crouch? Two players who were very obviously a step above what we could offer them.
Fox knows that he needs to go out and put himself in the shop window so that he can get himself a decent contract at the end of the year, which at his age will likely be judged by the money on the table and the length of the deal, not who you perceive to be a fashionable or unfashionable club.
Judging by the clubs he has been linked to (Burnley, Bolton, Barnsley), they all have things in common past the first letter of their name. Don''t have to be a genius to work out what that is - I will give you a clue: "proximity" + "Manchester".
Perhaps he wishes to be closer to home now, and if he does then good luck to him in his quest for a Northern team at the end of the year. 

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]He said that when Lambert arrived he was told to find another club and shunted to the sidelines. Of course he was recalled and the rest is history. Not sour grapes at all. Nor am I saying that Lambert is a villain. His players speak highly of him.

He was notorious for focussing only on the first team squad and being uninterested in anything or anyone else. Rightly so because that is what we needed at the time. But, it is apparently how he was and not as Row D sugested[/quote]
That probably has more to do with the wage bill.
Cureton and Doherty got that treatment, both only went one way after Norwich, and both were probably the highest earners or right up there at the time.
Given, Ireland, Bent and Hutton got the same treatment at Villa.
That''s in the interest of the club to make high earning big named players who aren''t pulling their weight feel as uncomfortable as possible. 
At least Lambert only did it to existing players and not his own signings. Hughton has Olsson and Becchio, wonder how much money they are on, he can''t blame a previous manager for those two if they end up leaving having hardly played. 

I don''t claim to know anyone high up in the football club but the two people I do know, who work at Colney, have said that Lambert, Culverhouse etc included everyone, even the people who maintained the pitches at Colney were made to feel part of things.

Apparently they described Lambert as a breath of fresh air after being disrespected a fair amount by Glenn Roeder during his tenure at the club.

I believe Hughton is well liked too, but from what I have heard, he doesn''t include people in things whom he deems not good enough i.e. Butterfield, Fox etc. Matt Gill wasn''t good enough a lot of the time, but he was a huge part of the dressing room behind the scenes under Lambert.

Lambert is known for freezing players out, plenty at Villa will testify to that - Given, Bent, Ireland, Dunne etc etc

I also remember when Lambert first came to Norwich a couple of Colchester players saying they were glad to see the back of him after being told to train with the youth team without reason.

I don''t think this is particulary a bad thing, nearly every manager has done this at some point with some players - often driven by financial reasons.

What is sad about Fox going is that the team that got us promoted and with such entertainment has all but disappeared. Will always look fondly on him and that Great team

You are funny new boy. We are saying the same thing. There''s no need for selective quotes to twist my words so you dan disagree.

Yes Fox has put himself in the shop window at Barnsley (I never said they were unfashionable by the way) and maybe he''ll secure a deal at a higher level. If he''s as good as you think he is he''ll do that. I don''t think he will as IMO championship is about right. Time will show who is right