Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

Arsenal match thread

"Speaking personally, yes I DO have a problem with us being in the relegation zone . Because I really do not think we have enough about us to get out of it . Just cannot see where the necessary wins are going to come from. "

If we think we cant get out of it surely we belong in it?

I dont agree and I think the results will come. No one wants to lose 4-1 but just look at the season they are having and the squad they have. Just look at the money they spent on Ozil for one.

The performance against spurs was awful but the same cannot be said for the ones against Chelsea and Arsenal. We will pull clear of the relegation zone.

If we can play as we did in the first 80 mins today then we have no problems at all in staying up, or even mid table.

We had great possession in midfield until we took tettey off which is only hindsight as I didn''t disagree with it at the time. We had six shots in target away to top of the league,

People need to chill out, we''ll be fine OTBC

On precisely what do you base that assertion Thorpe ?

There is absolutely no evidence that we are getting any better.

Anything less than 7 pts from the next 5 games and we are done for.

" Redmond is by far the better player over Snodgrass"

Hopefully one day we''ll find out if that is true...

" He sets the team out too deep, and that lead to Arsenal having too much possession. You want anything out of a game against Arsenal you go there and get in their faces, not drop of and let them do what they want with the ball"

Interesting though that Arsenal ( and Chelsea ) scored from us having too many people forward, which for me is back to no pace in the attack... no pace on the right hand side that is...

Did anyone spot the defensive improvements today or a fortnight ago.

If the strength of our manager was to build from the back then I must have missed it.

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"][quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

[quote user="Sir Humphrey Appleby"][quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Thoughts on our defending today?[:^)][/quote] About as good as the quality of posting on here! Why not take a five minute break from moaning, save it for after the whistle and then you can call McV and really make yourself proud.[/quote]

Who''s moaning?  I''m not!  I asked a question, that''s all!

Sounds like you''re the one with the problems buddy.

So, do you care to answer?  Thoughts on our defending today?[:^)]

[/quote] Well ''buddy'' I think you are moaning and to be honest the armchair managers sniping from behind their computer screens gets a touch tiresome and the sheer joy that seems to arise when something goes badly makes me really question the support. As to your question, it has been brilliant which is why we are 4 - 1 down.[/quote]

You ''think'' I am moaning! 

I am feeling anything, but sheer joy, I can assure you.

You really aren''t worth the effort.

There are many posts on this thread being outwardly critical, posts saying sack Hughton or whatever, yet you take great offence at me for stating a fact that we are in the relegation zone!

Do you have a problem with us being in the relegation zone?[:^)]

[/quote] At this point no, performances are improving, we look far more joined up as a team but we have been mugged against top class players and opposition in the last couple of games. I do however have a problem with people who have a complete lack of perspective, who moan their way through the games and who will never be happy.[/quote]

Well go and have a word with yourself then and have a go at the never happy moaners on here, while you''re at it!

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]There is absolutely no evidence that we are getting any better. [/quote]Careful Reggie post much more ill informed crap like this and people will begin to think you''re Trolling. [;)] [;)]

[quote user="Surfer"]which for me is back to no pace in the attack... no pace on the right hand side that is...[/quote]Lack of pace is definitely an issue, but its a lack of pace in terms of tactics rather than (or maybe as well as) players. We are yet to score a goal from a counter attack under Hughton, while we managed a fair few under Lambert, despite having what would seem to be slower and apparently worse players.There''s nothing particularly wrong with sitting deep if you are a counter attacking side, Villa showed that against us and Man City. We on the other hand, combine the worst of both worlds, we sit deep and then try to attack patiently, which we clearly don''t really have the guile to do successfully.

[quote user="Wolf"]Did anyone spot the defensive improvements today or a fortnight ago.

If the strength of our manager was to build from the back then I must have missed it.[/quote]I''m not going to lose much sleep over losses to Chelsea and Arsenal.That said, our next 3 home games are Cardiff, West Ham, Crystal Palace.  7 points is a minimum requirement.  A point away at Newcastle is achievable also.I wonder what Doctor Sleep would make of it all...

[quote user="Zak Van LegWetter"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]There is absolutely no evidence that we are getting any better. [/quote]Careful Reggie post much more ill informed crap like this and people will begin to think you''re Trolling. [;)] [;)][/quote]

Trolling, Zak ? Ill informed, Zak ?? What planet are you living on ?

I''m serious. Provide me any tangible evidence that we are "improving ".

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''m serious. Provide me any tangible evidence that we are "improving ".[/quote]Directly compared to the corresponding fixtures last season, we have 2 more points

"I''m serious. Provide me any tangible evidence that we are "improving "."

If you can''t see that our play has improved markedly in the last 3 games then you either don''t watch the games or you''re an idiot.

I consider what I see with my own eyes as tangible.

[quote user="Dandy Mountfarto"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]I''m

serious. Provide me any tangible evidence that we are "improving

".[/quote]Directly compared to the corresponding fixtures last season, we have 2 more points[/quote][quote user="QHcanary"]

If you can''t see that our play has improved markedly in the last 3 games then you either don''t watch the games or you''re an idiot.

I consider what I see with my own eyes as tangible.[/quote]

Thought not.

Like I said, no tangible evidence that we are improved over earlier in the season. Not really interested in last season.

What evidence I do see is shipping two late goals in each of the last 2 fixtures.

I deal in facts,

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Thought not.

Like I said, no tangible evidence that we are improved over earlier in the season. Not really interested in last season.

What evidence I do see is shipping two late goals in each of the last 2 fixtures.

I deal in facts,[/quote]

So you don''t think we''ve played better in the last 3 games than we did in the no shows against hull and spurs?

Say what you like about Hughton, but his ''Sit back and get relegated'' tactics seem to be working rather well.

Hughton isn''t the man, regardless of the opposition. While our squad clearly isn''t as good many thought it was, it could play better if the players were more motivated, fitter and tactically more positive. We place the opposition under little pressure and our body language stank again today. The only possible reason for keeping Hughton is that there is no obvious candidate at present to replace him, though

I''m sure McNally must be weighing up the options. He has to.

My God, QH, you must be easily satisfied . I thought the "little old Norwich...isn''t it great to be in the Premier" people had finally disappeared.

But clearly not.

I''m really only concerned about results, and the Stoke game excepted, they''ve been abysmal.

Maybe we''ll thrash Cardiff, then Citeh and then Wet Spam. But I just cannot see it happening with this setup. And, as yet you''ve failed to provide any evidence to instil me with any more confidence.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Thought not.

I deal in facts,[/quote]Six times as many shots on target against Arsenal away than Villa at home.Six times as many shots on target against Arsenal away than Tottenham away.Three times as many shots against Arsenal than Tottenham away.More shots against Chelsea and Arsenal than against Tottenham, Villa, Hull, Stoke Weirdly those who wanted us to be more attacking are then the first to moan when we concede goals on the counter attack late in games because we''re well "being more attacking."

[quote user="Zak Van LegWetter"][quote user="Reggie Strayshun"]Thought not.

I deal in facts,[/quote]Six times as many shots on target against Arsenal away than Villa at home.Six times as many shots on target against Arsenal away than Tottenham away.Three times as many shots against Arsenal than Tottenham away.More shots against Chelsea and Arsenal than against Tottenham, Villa, Hull, Stoke Weirdly those who wanted us to be more attacking are then the first to moan when we concede goals on the counter attack late in games because we''re well "being more attacking."[/quote]Great facts Zak! hard to argue with it..I have asked this question a few times and never really got an answer.. what do fans Want from Hughton?

It seems I''m wasting my time on this. I''m really not bothered about all these posession/shots stats. All I care about is goals and pts on the board. Because in the end, in May, that''s what''ll matter what division we''ll be playing in next August.

And, like I said ,that has not improved. If anything, got worse.

"My God, QH, you must be easily satisfied . I thought the "little old Norwich...isn''t it great to be in the Premier" people had finally disappeared.

But clearly not.

I''m really only concerned about results, and the Stoke game excepted, they''ve been abysmal.

Maybe we''ll thrash Cardiff, then Citeh and then Wet Spam. But I just cannot see it happening with this setup. And, as yet you''ve failed to provide any evidence to instil me with any more confidence."

Easily satisfied? No, not at all. I just have a sense of perspective, and can judge on more than recent results.

I was highly disappointed with the result against hull, and gutted to lose to Villa, although it sounded like Guzan played a blinder to keep us out. Other than that, what have we had?...

Everton...decent performance, and a point we wouldn''t necessarily expect to get.

Southampton...average performance, but a great three points when you look at how well saints are doing do far.

Spurs...a poor performance, albeit against a top side playing very well.

Stoke...good team performance. Much improved cohesion throughout the team. Good win at a stadium that won''t see many away wins, albeit against an under performing stoke side.

Chelsea...another good performance. We took the game to them, like many fans advocated doing. We looked good for a point, and could smell blood at 1-1, but a string of errors and a wonder strike did for us.

Arsenal...not as good a performance as vs Chelsea, but still a vast improvement on the hull/spurs performances. Undone by a classy, clinical arsenal side scoring some wonderful goals.

In 8 games we''ve played 4 teams that could/should make up part of the top 6/7. Two of them are title contenders, and another would be disappointed with less than champions league.

In that time there''s been a noticeable improvement in the teams play. It hasn''t brought much in the way of results, but at least some of that is down to the opposition. If you can''t see that or accept it then that''s your problem. If you expect us to get points away at the likes of arsenal and spurs then your life must be full of disappointment. I''ve seen enough to think that we''ll be more than a match for the lesser sides in this division, and barring Man City we have a run of games up til Xmas that look winnable.

I really don''t see any need for panic at this stage. Things are getting better, but some people seem intent on not accepting the things that are right in front of their eyes.

Ultimately, you''re right. It''s results that matter, but how many results can you HONESTLY say you''re disappointed with or expected more. Villa and hull can really be your only cause for complaint.

[quote user="Reggie Strayshun"] I''m really not bothered about all these posession/shots stats.  [/quote]You mean the tangible proof you yourself demanded earlier? This does of course show you up as the Troll we all know you to be.

Haven''t read any of the thread, but from what I watched this afternoon, City gave a great account of themselves against what is currently the best side in the country.

The biggest disappointment, and it has been evident throughout the season so far, is the woeful decision making when Norwich threaten the opposition goal.

There is always a hapless effort on goal when another player is in a more threatening position, or a miss-placed pass when a first-time shot would be more appropriate. Pilkington and Snodgrass particularly seem at pains not to set each other up, but they are not alone.

Hughton seems to have finally found a first choice midfield. Howson has blossomed over the last few games, Tettey has proved that his passing and control are good enough, and Fer is proving to be Norwich''s best buy in years.

The last two results have been harsh, but have already put Norwich''s goal difference well into disappointingly negative territory. Fortunately they have kept in close touch with the teams above them, unlike Sunderland and Palace.

But if the attitude and confidence shown by the team continues for the rest of the season, allied to far better cohesion in the final third, then City should have moved comfortably up the table by Christmas.

Well OK, QH, you''ve cut me a little slack in this, and I''ll reciprocate. Where you are right is that, in theory at least by 30 Nov , things could look a good deal rosier. Wins v Wet Spam, Cardiff, and Palace are a possibilty. But, I suspect that if things haven''t improved by then, whether you, I or anyone else likes it, Hoots will be a gonner.

I''m not too sure whether I agree with your assertion, however about expectations. No doubt there were some Saints fans who took the long trek from Hampshire to OT today in the belief that they''d get nothing. But, how wrong they were. I''m sorry but there were definite possibilties of us getting at least a couple of pts from the Chelsea,Spurs and Arsenal games. In the end we got nowt. Which put a hell of a lot of pressure on us in the aforesaid games against Cardiff etc.

In the end, if we''ve improved in the manner you suggest, we''ll get a load of points in these games. Time will tell, won''t it ??

I''m sure plenty of saints fans expected nothing today, but that''s football for you. The most unexpected things happen sometimes. It was a dreadful performance vs spurs, by all accounts. I was working away, so missed it. The Chelsea''s game was a a different matter. In the end we were unlucky. If Pilks doesn''t mis hit the corner, Tettey doesn''t play the ball into Hazard''s path and Ruddy doesn''t let it squirm under his body, we probably go on to get a draw. That would have been an unexpected result, but we all know it happens.

We got nothing from those 3 games, but last season we took points from spurs, Man U, arsenal, man city and Everton, against the odds. These things tend to even themselves out over a season, and like I''ve said I''ve seen enough to think that we''re going to get enough results.

That might not happen. If it doesn''t then the manager will probably pay with his job, but so many fans seem to be making that judgement before its anywhere near happened. This season is nowhere near the disaster that some are making out to already be.

Hi Reggie,

If that''s the case, then I guess you were absolutely delighted with our 11th place finish last season?

After all, as you think the most important thing is the points and position in the table, then I assume you were happier with Hughton than you were during the previous manager''s reign?

Ian

[quote user="I.S."]Hi Reggie,

If that''s the case, then I guess you were absolutely delighted with our 11th place finish last season?

After all, as you think the most important thing is the points and position in the table, then I assume you were happier with Hughton than you were during the previous manager''s reign?

Ian[/quote]He said he cared about points on the board, we got less points last season than we did under Lambert

Well, I don''t know about you Dandy, but I would rather have 42 points and a 17th place finish than 42 points and an 18th place finish, but each to their own.

Cheers lads,3rd Generation Gooner here, family been supporting the Gunners collectively since the 1920''s ... just want to let you know that despite the defeat at our manor today your lads didn''t have as bad a game as some of you may think. I thought Norwich played a tough game and the final result was not a clear cut indication of the match that I watched. The truth is that with many of the lower table teams we have played, none of the games were walk overs, there isn''t as wide and gaping a chasm in quality between the top teams and those in the mid to lower table, and the edge that gets the win is often that little bit of extra quality, but even so the margins are smaller than people think. In any case, I just wanted to say you''re lads played a solid game and gave us problems throughout and I wish you all the best for the season and hope you don''t go down at the end of the season! Keep your heads up lads and good luck in your next fixture!