Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Ola Toivonen

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="SYG"]Latest, could this still happen? http://www.clubcall.com/norwich-city/toivonen-teases-canaries-1611307.html[/quote]
I think you''ve dug up some old news from a site that''s dug up some old news........[/quote]

It is not old news. It''s the top item on the PSV news section of Voetbal International, which is where the English web site found it. The quote from the PSV manager also suggests, surprise, surprise, that if Toivonen stayed he would not find himself exiled to the reserves.

[/quote]

It''s fresh quotes, that have been prompted by Toivonen not being registered in PSV''s Champions League squad for preliminary games (the deadline was last night).

Just fits into Toivonen waiting for the best possible offer, if he waits too long Norwich will remove their interest.

[/quote]

He was an unused sub last night, Bethnal. You may be right that he wasn''t registered and so couldn''t play, but he was theoretically at least on the bench.

[/quote]

Ah, that would mean he has to be registered - my dutch translation skills not all that good it seems.

Not 100% on the rules - but I think this might mean he is now completely cup-tied for the whole competition.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="SYG"]Latest, could this still happen? http://www.clubcall.com/norwich-city/toivonen-teases-canaries-1611307.html[/quote]
I think you''ve dug up some old news from a site that''s dug up some old news........[/quote]

It is not old news. It''s the top item on the PSV news section of Voetbal International, which is where the English web site found it. The quote from the PSV manager also suggests, surprise, surprise, that if Toivonen stayed he would not find himself exiled to the reserves.

[/quote]

It''s fresh quotes, that have been prompted by Toivonen not being registered in PSV''s Champions League squad for preliminary games (the deadline was last night).

Just fits into Toivonen waiting for the best possible offer, if he waits too long Norwich will remove their interest.

[/quote]

He was an unused sub last night, Bethnal. You may be right that he wasn''t registered and so couldn''t play, but he was theoretically at least on the bench.

[/quote]

Ah, that would mean he has to be registered - my dutch translation skills not all that good it seems.

Not 100% on the rules - but I think this might mean he is now completely cup-tied for the whole competition.

[/quote]

you have to spend minutes on the pitch to be cup tied. sitting on the bench doesn''t count.

[quote user="mastoola"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="PurpleCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

you have to spend minutes on the pitch to be cup tied. sitting on the bench doesn''t count.

[/quote]

Is that the rule for domestic cups or european cups? I was always under the impression that if you were registered in the squad you then couldn''t play for another team in Europe.

That is certainly the case once it gets to the group stages, but not sure with Preliminary rounds.

Leaving aside the thorny question of European eligibility if he moved, the fact that Toivonen was in the squad last night and the PSV manager''s comments suggest he will (as always seemed likely) have the option of staying with PSV. But that might mean he wants to wait to see if they qualify for the competition proper. Cutting it very fine.

Interview in Dutch media today indicates he has not closed the door on a move to Norwich but wants to take his time. We are described as an ambitious mid table side !

Why are we still even discussing this bloke ?Blatenty got a sh1te attitude and the last person we want in the dressing room. With the arrival of Hooper I think we can put this chap to bed.Hes not comming here, thank god !

Has he though Nexus?

It seems to me that a lot of people are jumping to conclusions.

Especially after the rumour that he sacked one of his agents.

It is not uncommon for players to have more than one agent, often having one in each country that may be showing interest. Nor do we know that if he did, why he did.

It could be that the agent was being too pushy, and he simply didn''t want to be pushed, bullied or bossed. No one seemed to mind that when it was Huckerby telling his agent where to go.

So lets just wait and see. He is a cheaper and possibly better risk than Quag and some of the other players linked.

[quote user="Yorkshire Canary"]Interview in Dutch media today indicates he has not closed the door on a move to Norwich but wants to take his time. We are described as an ambitious mid table side ![/quote]

I don''t know how bright Toivonen is but he may be talking about a move because he believes we are still keen on him. If he knew for certain we had ended all interest he would have to be pretty dumb to mention a non-existent possibility.

Depends who he Is trying to convince.

Presume PSV would know if the interest is still there, so it wouldn''t aid him re an improved contract there but it may convince other clubs to come in for him. Who knows, personally I think he would be a good fit , is he a tosser ? I guess we would only ever find out if we signed him. He would certainly take Holtys place getting abuse from opponents fans.

Very Good player at a good price. Only he and the club know what has or has not been said and if his credibility is shot or if we are still interested. Since our initial interest we have signed some top players so may be he is more interested

Nexus_Canary wrote - "With the arrival of Hooper I think we can put this chap to bed."

Hooper''s arrival has nothing to do with the search for an AM/SS. Whether we get Toivonen, Quagliarella or A.N.Other we always needed another striker as backup/competition/alongside RvW.

Psv want him to sign a new contractOla is happy to stay at Psv for another yearPsv want cash in now rather than lose him for free next seasonOla isn''t sure about signing another contract with PsvNorwich is interested in OlaThere is multiple out comes to this saga. 

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Nexus_Canary wrote - "With the arrival of Hooper I think we can put this chap to bed."

Hooper''s arrival has nothing to do with the search for an AM/SS. Whether we get Toivonen, Quagliarella or A.N.Other we always needed another striker as backup/competition/alongside RvW.[/quote]Agree Hughton is looking for an AM or SS leaving Hoolahan backup, which will probably allow Butterfield to go on loan to a Championsghip team.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"]Why are we still even discussing this bloke ?Blatenty got a sh1te attitude and the last person we want in the dressing room. With the arrival of Hooper I think we can put this chap to bed.Hes not comming here, thank god ![/quote]Toivonen and Hooper play completely different roles though lol

Che''s right hand man wrote:

PSV want him to sign a new contract,

Ola is happy to stay at Psv for another year,

Psv want cash in now rather than lose him for free next season,

Ola isn''t sure about signing another contract with Psv,

Norwich is interested in Ola

There is multiple out comes to this saga. 

After Hooper we''re getting used to this, aren''t we. It seems to be a new pattern: signings in the lower divisions did not seem to be that long winded.

To be fair he''s probably interest more now due to the calibre of players we''ve brought in. This could easily come down to the last day of transfers and we could nick him for 3-4 mil.

Reports today suggest benfica are interested. He will get European footy but I  believe the Portuguese league are in financial difficulties hence RVW to us from their neighbours Sporting Lisbon. Getting to the stage where the guy needs to make his mind up

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="pilksfanclub"]Well he''d choose Benfica over us[/quote]

Really?

You seem very sure.

What did he say to you then?[/quote]
Everybody''s heard of Benfica[:D]

[quote user="The Pinkun Role Model"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"][quote user="pilksfanclub"]Well he''d choose Benfica over us[/quote]

Really?

You seem very sure.

What did he say to you then?[/quote]
Everybody''s heard of Benfica[:D]

[/quote]

Our success has created a new problem. That players we are now interested in have to weigh up how much they care about European football. Certainly the case with Toivonen and Alderweireld and probably with Quagliarella. And possibly with Fer and RVW.

I understand all that of course. Conversely, it is the case that a very good way to come to the attention of top teams is doing well in the Premiership given the worldwide coverage.

It just amuses me that posters who''ve barely heard of a player assert with total authority what he will do. Not an opinion or what the poster would do but put as a absolute statement of what the player will do. It''s just nonsense.

Point is, none of us has a clue what he wants just opinion and speculation. Nothing wrong with that. Just admit it''s speculation. Don''t present it as fact.

Barely heard of the player? based on what?

I would be shocked if he chose us over them. They are a very good team playing champions league football who probably offer a reasonable financial package. They are a better step for his career than us.

Sporting Lisbon are as big as Benfica yet RVW chose us over them, what is the difference? personal choice and where someone wants to live. Toivonen is an established international unlike RVW  which may play a part in deliberations. There is not that much money in Portuguese football at the moment though

Benfica have champions league football that is the difference also Sporting are really struggling financially and in the league they finished 7th. Champions league football is the biggest stage in club football

Could be mistaken but I think I''ve read on a here a few celtic fans they were in CL last year. What was hooper thinking?

He probably didn''t realise tho

[quote user="Mr Angry"]If CL football is the main factor then why is he even thinking of leaving PSV?[/quote]

No-one said it was the main factor. He may feel he has been with PSV long enough., But as it happens PSV have not yet qualified for the group stage, and may not, whereas Benfica have.

I think another key factor is that he hasn''t actually stated, to my knowledge, that he wants to leave PSV.

Didn''t this whole thing come about due to him not agreeing terms on a new deal with PSV? As a result they have said leave or the reserves or sign it and stay.

Perhaps it was just an attempt at getting more money out of them which resulted in him being in the position he is in now.

With all things taken into account it may also explain his apparent un-readiness to move anywhere quickly.